borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

okay fellas :weight_lift:

finally i got also MOBILITY X1600 working with this method!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so good news for all my laptopmates!!

BUT on my notebook only the external display is working... no output on the internal... really strange..

even switching with the FN-Keys doesn'T work...

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

COMPAQ 7500:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

anyone knows how to switch between the displays in OSX without the notebooks FN-Key?

cheers

RobNYC u dont get CEQI cause i bet uve modified the X1000GA.plugin ahaha remove CAllistoFB to it and switch back to IONDRVFramebuffer

enjoy

Actually I don't have no callisto stuff involved in this, I did exactly what boris provided from page 1 .

IONDRVFrameBuffer is there

Can someone help confirm?

I think I might have made one more modification tht I may have omited. Inside /System/Library/Exrtensions is IONDRVSupport.kext. Inside the plistI have this listed:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>20000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

Is what I marked in bold normal or did I modify this and forgot to post?

X1800/X1900 is a no go for sure, tested and verified non working by me and munky.

So this may be a x1600 related stuff only?! :dev:

had a quick look at the 10.4.4 IONDRVSupport.kext (only one i have access to right now) and it seems to be as you've described - ie i dont think you've modified that.

had a quick look at the 10.4.4 IONDRVSupport.kext (only one i have access to right now) and it seems to be as you've described - ie i dont think you've modified that.

Yep, thats right.

yeah you didn't modify that file, that's for sure.

BTW, can you take a look at your loaded extensions in System Profiler to see if IONDRVSupport.kext is loaded or not ?

And, can your monitor go into standby mode thanks to the now loaded ATINDRV.kext ?

Although I'm checking on the legal ramifications of this...

...go ahead and share all the important kexts you want. That way we can hopefully get this hack working for everyone possible.

I can't promise they'll be able to stay, but we'll see. :D

What is Rotation? I noticed on several posts that Rotation is now supported.. what is giving this support? And what does it do? Has anyone tried to load any other kexts like this with the Radeon 9550 -9800 series cards?

has someone with a radeon 7500 managed to get the ATINDRV.kext loaded without problems at boot ?

another thing...

the atindrv is a framebuffer right ? just like callisto, do you think theres a way to bypass the problem all of us (except x1600 owners) are having using callisto ?

I'm gonna re-read the steps and make sure I have everything correct.

I'll probably be rolling with Jas since he just ordered the same card I have

I suggest you to unpack all, and when i mean ALL, i mean ATI*.* kext + IONDRVSupport.kext from 10.4.6 update.pkg using Pacifist into your extensions directory.

If it still doesn't work, be sure your product id matches with the one into ATIX1000.kext. Else, maybe you did something bad to the frameworks, I don't know.

SUCCESS!

My ASUS ATI Radeon X1600 Pro works great!

No mouse artifacts, QE, CI and OpenGL supported + resolution switching.

I have a VGA connection to an ACER 19" Wide Screen monitor.

At first thought it didn't work but I have mispelled a setting in ATINDRV...

I noticed that the delay we are experiencing at boot-time is because there are some warning messages that display family specific mathing failed and after that it waits for the kext loading to time-out before it goes on with booting. Now if we can find all kexts that it tries to load when this message appears and add our device ID in these kexts then maybe we'll get even more (don't even know what)...!

One thing that I noticed. Desktop Manager's (PPC App) transissions do not work anymore...

post-21063-1148057711_thumb.png

I'm gonna re-read the steps and make sure I have everything correct.

I'll probably be rolling with Jas since he just ordered the same card I have

Borisbadenov,

I think this should be in the wiki once a clean step-by-step is available.

Just a suggestion.

To clarify some things ...

Someone with X1600 working, please boot into single mode (-s), and then "kextload ATINDRV.kext" then "ioreg -l -w 0 > output.txt" and please post the output.

Munky or some X1800 please do the same, and compare the capabilities of the IONDRVFramebuffer device.... maybe we can see if X1600 detects some extra stuff .... (whih probably does :D )

Thanks...

yeah you didn't modify that file, that's for sure.

BTW, can you take a look at your loaded extensions in System Profiler to see if IONDRVSupport.kext is loaded or not ?

And, can your monitor go into standby mode thanks to the now loaded ATINDRV.kext ?

Yes, the IONDRVSupport.kext is loaded. Here is the info:

IONDRVSupport:

Version: 1.4.2

Last Modified: 1/3/06 9:40 PM

Get Info String: 1.4.2, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2000-2004

kext Version: 1.4.2

Load Address: 0x23ea5000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Correct

And forseeing the next question:

ATIRadeonX1000:

Version: 1.4.24

Last Modified: 1/3/06 9:54 PM

Get Info String: ATIRadeonX1000 1.4.24.6 (3493)

kext Version: 4.2.4

Load Address: 0x29407000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Kext is modified

And finally, no, my monitor doesn't seem to go into standby mode but I will somehow learn to cope.

SUCCESS!

My ASUS ATI Radeon X1600 Pro works great!

No mouse artifacts, QE, CI and OpenGL supported + resolution switching.

I have a VGA connection to an ACER 19" Wide Screen monitor.

At first thought it didn't work but I have mispelled a setting in ATINDRV...

I noticed that the delay we are experiencing at boot-time is because there are some warning messages that display family specific mathing failed and after that it waits for the kext loading to time-out before it goes on with booting. Now if we can find all kexts that it tries to load when this message appears and add our device ID in these kexts then maybe we'll get even more (don't even know what)...!

One thing that I noticed. Desktop Manager's (PPC App) transissions do not work anymore...

Hey Snollygoster,

Glad it has worked for you as well and yes, I do believe you are right on that issue about boot-up. I know it is searching for display family but a bit stumped. I'm sure that when this snag is fixed, our systems will scream! Love to hear what you find out.

I was thinking, if the framebuffer works for the x1600 because in the binary file there is the bios id that the specific card has, could we maybe find a decompiler edit it and recompile it again to work with the rest of ATI cards?

BTW I am installing WoW now to check how it performs...