borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

Here are a few clarifications about what I have:

1) I am using an AGP X1600 Pro 256MB made by Sapphire, followed the exact procedure boris described.

2) There is absolutely NO mouse tearing

3) Everything appears to be FULLY supported, except System Profiler does not recognize the card as it would in an official machine

4) I don't have a DVI cable for my LCD, but if I did it would most likely work.

If you have any more questions, post them and I'll get to it tomorrow probably.

do you have a DVI to VGA adaptor that you can try with? perhaps that can sort of test the DVI connector on your card.

the issue is not whether its 10.4.6 - i think the issue is the way 10.4.6 was installed - whether a clean JaS install or an upgrade from an earlier version.

fyi, each DVD (JaS, Myzar... whoever) is a collection of various files from various versions of OSX for intel. Eg the 10.4.6 JaS disc uses the 10.4.4 kernel (its the latest patched one available), and a mixture of 10.4.4, 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 kexts and frameworks. this is by necessity - its just 'whatever works'.

with the 10.4.6 kexts (or at least, whichever set of ATIX1000 series kexts are installed by JaS 10.4.6) boris' method hung on blue screen before loginwindow.

i copied in the 10.4.4 kexts and re-applied boris method. result was a boot to desktop, complete with dock etc, but display totally corrupt.

thus there is a difference at least, hence why im going to pursue this until i have to admit defeat and ebay my x1800 :guitar:

*please note* i am not trying to tarnish JaS' name or say his DVD is no good - far from it, i think it is excellent - im just wondering if the particular mixture of files installed by that DVD is breaking this solution for my X1800, and whether reverting to Myzar's 10.4.4 / 10.4.5 disc will improve my situation. otherwise, like i say, the damn card is going on ebay. :)

the issue is not whether its 10.4.6 - i think the issue is the way 10.4.6 was installed - whether a clean JaS install or an upgrade from an earlier version.

fyi, each DVD (JaS, Myzar... whoever) is a collection of various files from various versions of OSX for intel. Eg the 10.4.6 JaS disc uses the 10.4.4 kernel (its the latest patched one available), and a mixture of 10.4.4, 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 kexts and frameworks. this is by necessity - its just 'whatever works'.

with the 10.4.6 kexts (or at least, whichever set of ATIX1000 series kexts are installed by JaS 10.4.6) boris' method hung on blue screen before loginwindow.

i copied in the 10.4.4 kexts and re-applied boris method. result was a boot to desktop, complete with dock etc, but display totally corrupt.

thus there is a difference at least, hence why im going to pursue this until i have to admit defeat and ebay my x1800 :guitar:

*please note* i am not trying to tarnish JaS' name or say his DVD is no good - far from it, i think it is excellent - im just wondering if the particular mixture of files installed by that DVD is breaking this solution for my X1800, and whether reverting to Myzar's 10.4.4 / 10.4.5 disc will improve my situation. otherwise, like i say, the damn card is going on ebay. :)

All this does not depend only on kexts and osx... i think it depends on your hardware also, your motherboard, supported cpu features etc so maybe this will not work for all and its normal...

thus there is a difference at least, hence why im going to pursue this until i have to admit defeat and ebay my x1800 ;)

*please note* i am not trying to tarnish JaS' name or say his DVD is no good - far from it, i think it is excellent - im just wondering if the particular mixture of files installed by that DVD is breaking this solution for my X1800, and whether reverting to Myzar's 10.4.4 / 10.4.5 disc will improve my situation. otherwise, like i say, the damn card is going on ebay. ;)

The issue is with ATINDRV.kext , It is only compiled for the R520 gpu.I have tried editing the binary for the R350 ( my 9600 ) even tho i knew it wouldnt work.The calls are for the R520 gpu only.

ok thanks for the info JaS. i'm trying to get this to work on an X1800, which afaik is a variant of R520 (correct me if im wrong).

as i said, i saw different behaviour with the 10.4.4 kexts, which leads me to beleive there may be some way of getting it to function.

koverg-style patching of the binary is beyond my ken, but might be the only way (if any).

No im sorry about my post, its the x1600 has the R530 gpu .I opened ATINDRV in hex edit and edited all the R530's to R350's ... didnt even load lol , well loaded but did nothing

the X1800 is R520

JaS: thanks for the lowdown. im going to try to edit it for R520. anything i should know / look out for? ;)

EDIT: ok is it the binary in ATINDRV.kext/Contents/MacOS ?

cos i cant seem to find 'R530'in there at all. '530' appears once, but im not sure its a reference to the GPU?

JaS: thanks for the lowdown. im going to try to edit it for R520. anything i should know / look out for? ;)

EDIT: ok is it the binary in ATINDRV.kext/Contents/MacOS ?

cos i cant seem to find 'R530'in there at all. '530' appears once, but im not sure its a reference to the GPU?

use the app HexEdit and do EDIT --> find --> find R530 you will see it there

U R THE MAN!!!

worknig gorgeously, without mouse tearing

1440x900 75hz changing resolution avalaible

qe/ci enabled

GORGEOUS!!

THANK U SO MUCH!!

ati sapphire x1600xt 1002 71c0

WOW!!!

i have a huge IDEA !!! i think it dumbly check for R530 =X1600 as u said JAS and we can faint it dumping our videoBIOS and renaming it to R530 eheh i dont see why it wouldnt work specially for X1800 who are the same card just named differently

i have a huge IDEA !!! i think it dumbly check for R530 =X1600 as u said JAS and we can faint it dumping our videoBIOS and renaming it to R530 eheh i dont see why it wouldnt work specially for X1800 who are the same card just named differently

well the thing is its making calls that are R530 specific.so editing the bios to on your card be a R530 wont give your gpu the 12 pixel pipelines or other gpu capablities.Tho go for it and prove me wrong , I just may be (hope i am ) ;)

Also I know i didn't say it at first but borisbadenov , great hack !

I know what card im getting now ;)

Can someone with a working RadeonX1600 can please put the output of:

ioreg -l -w 0

Thanks.

Is this what you are looking for mmk?

Also, so glad to hear that my simple idea has worked for so many. As far as everyone else asking me if it will work with other cards, ie: x600, x300, 970, etc, since I do not have the cards, I do not have a way to play with them and test them out, so sorry.

| | | | +-o ATIRadeonX1000 <class ATIRadeonX1000, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 8>

| | | | | {

| | | | | "IOAccelRevision" = 2

| | | | | "IOGLBundleName" = "ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver"

| | | | | "AccelCaps" = 3

| | | | | "IOSourceVersion" = "1.4.24.6"

| | | | | "ATIUseTearingWideBlit" = No

| | | | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.ATIRadeonX1000"

| | | | | "IOClass" = "ATIRadeonX1000"

| | | | | "IODVDBundleName" = "ATIRadeonX1000VADriver"

| | | | | "IOProbeScore" = 0

| | | | | "IOMatchCategory" = "IOAccelerator"

| | | | | "IOPCIMatch" = "0x71C21002"

| | | | | "ATIEnableWideBlitSupport" = Yes

| | | | | "sensor-properties" = ({"polling-period"=<0000000100000000>,"device_type"=<"gpu-sensor">,"location"="GPU","sample-period"=<0000000000989800>,"reg"=<00000002>,"zone"=<00000002>,"version"=<00000002>,"name"="gpu-sensor","sensor-id"=<00000006>})

| | | | | "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e"="ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin"}

| | | | | "IOProviderClass" = "IOPCIDevice"

| | | | | "PerformanceStatistics" = {"vramFreeBytes"=243270496,"surfaceCopyInWaitTime"=0,"bufferSwapCount"=4348,"swapCompleteDVDWaitTime"=0,"gartUsedBytes"=

4112384,"dataBufferCount"=0,"freeContextBufferGLWaitTime"=0,"textureCount"=189,"textureWaitTime"=0,"finish2DWaitTime"=0,

"freeContextBuffer2DWaitTime"=28005,"lastReadStamp"=28871,"command2DBytesPerSample"=79680,"texturePageOutWaitTime"=0,

"surfaceCount"=1,"finishAll2DWaitTime"=675703,"finishDVDWaitTime"=0,"commandGLBytesPerSample"=48179928,"submitStamp"=28882,

"surfaceWriteLockIdleWaitTime"=0,"surfaceCopyOutWaitTime"=0,"surfacePageOutBytesPerSample"=0,"texturePageOutBytesPerSample"=0,

"context2DSwitchCount"=385,"freeCommandBufferDVDWaitTime"=0,"commandDVDBytesPerSample"=0,"texturePageInBytesPerSample"=

1173727552,"surfacePageInBytesPerSample"=2310144,"freeSurfaceBackingWaitTime"=0,"gartFreeBytes"=130105344,"contextGLCount"=1,

"commandBytesPerSample"=52328064,"swapBytesPerSample"=3835272,"contextGLSwitchCount"=4348,"swapCompleteGLWaitTime"=656385,

"surfaceSetShapeIdleWaitTime"=0,"clientGLWaitTime"=567153017,"hardwareSubmitWaitTime"=0,"contextDVDSwitchCount"=0,

"surfaceReadLockIdleWaitTime"=0,"texturePageInWaitTime"=474408,"volatileSurfaceCount"=0,"gartCacheBytes"=0,

"freeDataBufferGLWaitTime"=0,"removeFromGARTWaitTime"=0,"dataGLBytesPerSample"=0,"gartMapOutBytesPerSample"=0,

"freeCommandBufferGLWaitTime"=0,"contextDVDCount"=0,"freeSurfaceSwapBufferWaitTime"=0,"gartMapInBytesPerSample"=0,

"finishGLWaitTime"=0,"freeCommandBuffer2DWaitTime"=0,"context2DCount"=1,"freeContextBufferDVDWaitTime"=0,

"swapComplete2DWaitTime"=0,"gartSizeBytes"=134217728,"hardwareWaitTime"=568987518}

EDIT by mod - inserted some newlines cos it was making the forum look all spaz.

U R THE MAN!!!

worknig gorgeously, without mouse tearing

1440x900 75hz changing resolution avalaible

qe/ci enabled

GORGEOUS!!

THANK U SO MUCH!!

ati sapphire x1600xt 1002 71c0

WOW!!!

Can you give us more informations about your display : vga or DVI ?

JaS, others: i have made a discovery.

i ssh/vnc'd home to try out the hexedit thing, and grabbed the only ATINDRV.kext i have accessible on my home server, which is in a zip file of 10.4.4 kexts.

searching the binary of ATINDRV results in NO matches for R530 (X1600), but there are many matches for R520 (X1800)

what does this mean? this is the kext which got me further (booted to corrupt desktop) and i definitely didnt edit it. does this mean apple at some stage planned to use X1800s?

it gives me hope that i can edit the 10.4.6 kexts to work tho... ;)

JaS: someone else posted a link to the card boris is using (he confirmed its the same) - its an MSI i believe - check earlier in the thread.

JaS: someone else posted a link to the card boris is using (he confirmed its the same) - its an MSI i believe - check earlier in the thread.

Okay im slack .. sorry i'll check , thanks

well the thing is its making calls that are R530 specific.so editing the bios to on your card be a R530 wont give your gpu the 12 pixel pipelines or other gpu capablities.Tho go for it and prove me wrong , I just may be (hope i am ) ;)

Also I know i didn't say it at first but borisbadenov , great hack !

I know what card im getting now ;)

WOW!!!

TO get a compliment like this from the great JaS, I am totally flattered!!!

I have always admired your work and to hear this from you; it has really made my day, made it all worth it, as well as being able to give something back and help or so many other mates.

the 20th of may is my birthday so im ordering this card for myself now actually :P , borisbadenov can you give me a link to your exact card please ?

JaS , I went to Neweggand got my card. Yes, might have been a place or two a few bucks cheaper but I really like the service at Newegg. It is the MSI RX1600 PRO-TD256E PCI-E

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814127201

My only issue with my hack is that it takes me nearly a full minute for my OS to load up, where, before, with just my onboard GMA900, it was around 15-20 seconds. Any ideas?

WOW!!!

TO get a compliment like this from the great JaS, I am totally flattered!!!

I have always admired your work and to hear this from you; it has really made my day, made it all worth it, as well as being able to give something back and help or so many other mates.

JaS , I went to Neweggand got my card. Yes, might have been a place or two a few bucks cheaper but I really like the service at Newegg. It is the MSI RX1600 PRO-TD256E PCI-E

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814127201

My only issue with my hack is that it takes me nearly a full minute for my OS to load up, where, before, with just my onboard GMA900, it was around 15-20 seconds. Any ideas?

Ok np on a minute to load , il ltake the boot time hit ;) , one last question.Has anyone got this to work with X1600pro agp ?.As my motherboard is agp only

JAS yes it works with X1600AGP im gonna buy one too...the fact is OMNI discoverd it first ;)

btw i meant this bios hack for MUNKY

im sure if u rename ur card to R530 it will work

the point is im sure X1600 is RV530 not R530 and u wont be able to add a letter into the bios !

guys having a X1600 let me know ur RXXX name when u boot in safe mode thanx

ps: munky im sure changing that into ur bios and in worst the product ID will work for u