borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

Haven't heard any news on progress made for x1600 mobility support. Are all of us notebook users with the card forever destined to have to hook up an external monitor in order to reap the benefits of the x1600?

Maybe this could help?! :angel:

Just a thought, I see that you are using x1600 XT and I was using the PRO. Maybe that is the difference. I do not know. Maybe different veror as well. Just make sure you put in the correct device and vendor ID. In the mean time, here is a short How To:

OK, here are the steps I took to get my MSI RX1600 Pro 256mb PCI-E card to work on my system perfectly. My system: ASRock 775 Dual 915GL mobo with Celeron D 330J 2.66 ghz processor, onboard GMA900 and a myzar patched 10.4.5 install (but now updated with the Jas 10.4.6 update.

1 I first ran from my onboard GMA900 card, just to be safe. In /Systems/Library/Extensions, I deleted all GeForce and ATIRadeon files except the following 4:

ATIRadeonX1000kext

ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle

ATINDRV.kext

2 Edit ATINDRV.kext as follows: Change <string>IONDRVDevice</string> to read <string>IOPCIDevice</string> And change <string>ATY,WORMY</string> to read <string>display</string>

3 Next, edit ATIRadeonX1000.kext as follows: Look for the IOPCIMatch and change the following line to <string>0x71C21002</string> I just deleted all other references to other devices and the 71C2 should refer to your device id Also, on the next line, make sure that your IOProviderClass is listed as IOPCIDevice

4 Edit ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin as follows: make sure these two lines show your device id and keep in mind, it's backwards:

<key>100271C2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</key>

<string>100271C2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

I also think I changed this line, not sure but make sure this is how what your edited plist will show, pay attention to the last line.

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

5 sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extentions.kext.cache

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

6 Go to Disk Utilities, repair permissions, reboot and Bob's your uncle

Boris- you wrote your Device and Vendor ID's all in uppercase- I haven't been able to get my x1600 XT (sapphire, PCI-EX) to work using your instructions- if I tried with all uppercase- would that possibly fix it? I am rather desperate...same Vendor ID (obviously) device ID 0x71c0...different than yours- is that significant?? Thanks!

Haven't heard any news on progress made for x1600 mobility support. Are all of us notebook users with the card forever destined to have to hook up an external monitor in order to reap the benefits of the x1600?

Hi, for me it doesn't even work on an external monitor :)

Hope some good news will come soon for X1600 mobility users ....

Each video card will have a different device id number. Seeing that you have found your device id, you just need to plug that number into the correct spot. So, where I typed in 71c2, you need to type in 71c0. Yes,, this change is significant.

Boris- you wrote your Device and Vendor ID's all in uppercase- I haven't been able to get my x1600 XT (sapphire, PCI-EX) to work using your instructions- if I tried with all uppercase- would that possibly fix it? I am rather desperate...same Vendor ID (obviously) device ID 0x71c0...different than yours- is that significant?? Thanks!

Hi Boris !!! I get the 10.4.6 from myz update to 10.4.7 Jas computer P4 D 3.0 GHZ, video X1600 Pro 256MB from Power Colors Dual DVI both I put VGA adapter, I install your driver and it works everything including Mirror monitor but not Dual monitors and final cut 5.1 not working. I used the same Hard disk on my other computer intel 915GLVA Mother board, onboard video gm900 and final cut works! What sould I do for Final cut works with the first configuration ( x1600 pro Power Color) ?

Thank's for your attention !!

Hi Boris !!! I get the 10.4.6 from myz update to 10.4.7 Jas computer P4 D 3.0 GHZ, video X1600 Pro 256MB from Power Colors Dual DVI both I put VGA adapter, I install your driver and it works everything including Mirror monitor but not Dual monitors and final cut 5.1 not working. I used the same Hard disk on my other computer intel 915GLVA Mother board, onboard video gm900 and final cut works! What sould I do for Final cut works with the first configuration ( x1600 pro Power Color) ?

Thanks a ton Boris for your efforts. I just got the Asus EAX1600xt on my system and it works like a charm. (Except that Asus did not include support in bios for Apple Cinema Display, so I dont see anything till the driver loads). I was considering getting a higher end video card for another system, but I wanted to know which X1800 or X1900 card works best with this, which also has DVI support.

Maybe this could help?! :(

Thanks for the tip Neo. Unfortunately, I've tried connecting an external monitor and that too does not work (black screen or occassionally vertical stripes). Do you know where I might be able to see the debug or error log info?

Yep...

But it should work with one version of the X1900 chip! It would be perfect to post the supported chip :graduated:

Hi NeoPheus!!! I get the 10.4.6 from myz update to 10.4.7 Jas computer P4 D 3.0 GHZ, video X1600 Pro 256MB from Power Colors Dual DVI both I put VGA adapter, I install the boris driver and it works everything including Mirror monitor but not Dual monitors and final cut 5.1 not working. Core image and Quartz Extreme is working.

I used the same Hard disk on my other computer intel 915GLVA Mother board, onboard video gm900 and final cut works! What sould I do for Final cut works with the first configuration ( x1600 pro Power Color) ?

Just a random thought here....

I have a GeCube X1800XL PCI-E 256Mb, working 99% under 10.4.7 with boris method / neopheus installer. The only thing which doesnt work is waking from system sleep - the display never powers on again.

I can grab other X1800 BIOSes from techpowerup.com, including ASUS BIOSes, which seem to be different from my GeCube BIOS.

Anyone have any opinion on whether flashing to ASUS' BIOS would change anything with regards system sleep?

Anyone with an X1800 or X1900 got system sleep working?!?

Now that we know that the X1900 is the card that ATI is shipping. Does anyone know which ATI x1900 should one buy, and if anyone has an ATI X1900 does the DVI out work with the Boris Method?

As far as I know, nobody, as of today, was able to use x1900 via dvi connection :)

Just a random thought here....

I have a GeCube X1800XL PCI-E 256Mb, working 99% under 10.4.7 with boris method / neopheus installer. The only thing which doesnt work is waking from system sleep - the display never powers on again.

Well, if you are having a problem waking in front of a computer, though not technical, you can try what works for me, get a wife. LOL

I could use the Boris method

I obtained good results after some probes with 10.4.5 the trick manualy, type has worked, ATINVDR seems that IONDRVDevice calls to magic function IOPCIDevice . As he could guess right trick, instinct? yu are great Boris, thank you very much .

My Sapphire X1800XT work and recognice all resolutios 1680x1050x32 include (second port graphic card recognize the display, no tearing, Core Image, Quartz Extreme work extremely fine.

Change ATY,Wormy for <display> no seems affect much, and deleted ID's either.

I have tried with Radeon9600pro but she does not work absolutely, He that uses ATIRadeon9700.kext and, ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin as infos to device. IOPCIdevice function does not work in this case.

:D

Hii... I don't understand Italian (?) but i have an Asus A6J witt intel core duo 1.83 , and ATI X1600...

I have tried to install the hottiso 10.4.6 Mac OSX but i have not been able to get it to work. The install worked fine but the boot fails... So I wonder if you guys managed to get it to work how you did it.

Thanks a lot / Jennifer

Hii... I saw that you hade tried to install Mac OsX on your Asus and i have an Asus A6J witt intel core duo 1.83 , and ATI X1600 too... so maybe you could help me? You got it to work?

I have tried to install the hottiso 10.4.6 Mac OSX but i have not been able to get it to work. The install worked fine but the boot fails... So I wonder if you guys managed to get it to work how you did it.

Thanks a lot / Jennifer

use jas 10.4.6, then jump to jas 10.4.7. i know a girl named jenn that works at pc club, weird.

Hii... I saw that you hade tried to install Mac OsX on your Asus and i have an Asus A6J witt intel core duo 1.83 , and ATI X1600 too... so maybe you could help me? You got it to work?

Thanks a lot / Jennifer

use jas 10.4.6, then jump to jas 10.4.7. i know a girl named jenn that works at pc club, weird.

Well, its me Morgan ... haha lol... no, just kiddin... So you mean I should install 10.4.6 and then reinstall jas 10.4.7 ?

Thanks Morgan / Your Jenn .. haha :)

...sorry for my bad english,

... my italian is more bad still. :whistle:

You have a problem with several kernel. Really all kernels is the same 10.4.4,

but installer have one with all patches, CPUid, rtc panic, nonx, sse2, try other until finding the suitable one. :compress:

I believe that the method of boris, to activate x1600/1800 only works with the 10.4.4 extensions. (i think wath 10.4.6 not always work), use 10.4.5 dvd.

Well, its me Morgan ... haha lol... no, just kiddin... So you mean I should install 10.4.6 and then reinstall jas 10.4.7 ?

Thanks Morgan / Your Jenn .. haha :)

hi,

as far as i know (i had the same notebook) no matter which version u use u will only get the boris method working on an external VGA-display connected. NOT on the internal display...no fix for this available at the moment due to the missing EFI...

cheers

sheriff