*** BorisBadenov Method - Now in Genius Bar ***

The 'boris method' is documented as a howto in the Genius Bar:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=19806

Cheers,

munky

*** BorisBadenov Method - Now in Genius Bar ***

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding ATI X1600 Pro PCI-E.

I would concider myself not much of a serious hacker but I did manage to get full compatability with my video card. I have an ASRock 775 Dual 915GL mobo, Celeron D 330J with onboard GMA900 and running 10.4.5. I recently purchased a MSI X1600 Pro PCI-E video card, read tons on this site, made notes, etc and after a good day's work, I finally got my card to work 100% with my set-up. Full QE-CI, refreshrates, resolutions changing, etc and not tearing! Look at my screen shot to prove it.

Before I installed my card, I deleted all other ATI files (in the /system/library/extensions), the I edited my plist in each of the ATIRadeonX1000 files to match my device <key>IOPCIMatch</key> <string>0x71C21002</string>

Then, inside my ATINDRV.kext, change <string>IONDRVDevice</string> to <string>IOPCIDevice</string> and change this line <key>IONameMatch</key> <string>ATY,WORMY</string> to read <key>IONameMatch</key><string>display</string>

In the ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin, you need to change your device ID twice and do note that it need to be backwards, <key>100271C2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</key> and <string>100271C2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

In all the plists, I just dele=ted all other references to other device ID's After this, I deleted the mext and kext.cache, and ran: sudo kext.cache -k /System/Library/Extentions AFter that, fix permissions, rebooted and smiled as my system worked as it should.post-14928-1147909028_thumb.png

THANK YOU! I always had QE/CI working but NOT with resolution switching. Now my display panel shows all the refresh rates my monitors supports. I HIGHLY SUGGEST MODIFYING YOUR ATI FILES. I have an sapphire 512mb pci-e card. Now I can play games in any resolutions....and NO MORE TEARING......thank you Thank you! Now I am going to put my Dell FPW 20.1 DVI monitor and switch out my CRT. Kinda curious if I have dual monitor support.......BRB report back soon!

dewdoobrown,

Glad to hear I could have been a help. Now with this this final piece to the puzzle fixed, I think it is time for my Mactell to become my main OS

Asapreta, as far as your card goes, I do not know but try it out and let us all know. Just back everything up so if it doesn't work, you can still easily repair your system. Remember, the terminal is your friend

following these instructions?without using callisto??

i've a sapphire x1600xt too, mac 10.4.6, qi/ce working but no changing resolution available...do u think i'm right following these steps??

thank u very much

following these instructions?without using callisto??

i0ve a sapphire x1600xt too, mac 10.4.6, qi/ce working but no cahnging resolution available...do u think i'm right following these steps??

thank u very much

I have tried callisto and it never woked for me; using the exact instructions, each time I tried to change resolutions or refresh rate, my "mac" would die, saying I would need to reboot. I just began to tinker around and this worked for me, and others it seems. Follow the steps and maybe, in each of the ATI kexts, make sure you replace your device id as also replace IONDRVDevice for IOPCIDevice. Be sure to remove mkext and kext.cache and repair permissions

Thanks for the tip...

Got my Sapphire x1600xt working perfectly...

What's perfectly mean? I have a wide format (1900x1200) cinema display that uses DVI only. Do you have res switching? Do you have widescreen? Do you have DVI output?

My sapphire x1600xt worked with my 1600x1200 screen QE/CI using VGA output with ZERO configuration--most people's do. But that isn't perfect by far!

What's perfectly mean? I have a wide format (1900x1200) cinema display that uses DVI only. Do you have res switching? Do you have widescreen? Do you have DVI output?

My sapphire x1600xt worked with my 1600x1200 screen QE/CI using VGA output with ZERO configuration--most people's do. But that isn't perfect by far!

To answer your questions; Yes, I do have res switching. Yes, for me, it works perfectly. I have a CRT monitor, largest setting is at 1600x1200, so no wide screen. My card does have a DVI output and I have run my monitor through this as well (with the little gizmo) Perfect for me meaning I can use all settings that my monitor allows ( ie: changing res, refresh switching) I have QE/CI, no mouse tearing, in essence, I have no limitations, it acts normally.

Regarding ATI X1600 Pro PCI-E.

I would concider myself not much of a serious hacker but I did manage to get full compatability with my video card. I have an ASRock 775 Dual 915GL mobo, Celeron D 330J with onboard GMA900 and running 10.4.5. I recently purchased a MSI X1600 Pro PCI-E video card, read tons on this site, made notes, etc and after a good day's work, I finally got my card to work 100% with my set-up. Full QE-CI, refreshrates, resolutions changing, etc and not tearing! Look at my screen shot to prove it.

Before I installed my card, I deleted all other ATI files (in the /system/library/extensions), the I edited my plist in each of the ATIRadeonX1000 files to match my device <key>IOPCIMatch</key> <string>0x71C21002</string>

Then, inside my ATINDRV.kext, change <string>IONDRVDevice</string> to <string>IOPCIDevice</string> and change this line <key>IONameMatch</key> <string>ATY,WORMY</string> to read <key>IONameMatch</key><string>display</string>

In the ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin, you need to change your device ID twice and do note that it need to be backwards, <key>100271C2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</key> and <string>100271C2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

In all the plists, I just dele=ted all other references to other device ID's After this, I deleted the mext and kext.cache, and ran: sudo kext.cache -k /System/Library/Extentions AFter that, fix permissions, rebooted and smiled as my system worked as it should.post-14928-1147909028_thumb.png

Borisbadenov,

Is this the card you have? I have the same motherboard so if this card worked on your motherboard I want to get the same one.

http://www.bizrate.com/graphicscards/pid391847395/

Just tried with my x1600xt and it didn't work: I got a freeze at the loginwindowapp on two succesive boots. I'll try again tonight after work to double check my work (I was doing it quickly) but I think all was as it was supposed to be.

Just tried with my x1600xt and it didn't work: I got a freeze at the loginwindowapp on two succesive boots. I'll try again tonight after work to double check my work (I was doing it quickly) but I think all was as it was supposed to be.

Just a thought, I see that you are using x1600 XT and I was using the PRO. Maybe that is the difference. I do not know. Maybe different veror as well. Just make sure you put in the correct device and vendor ID. In the mean time, here is a short How To:

OK, here are the steps I took to get my MSI RX1600 Pro 256mb PCI-E card to work on my system perfectly. My system: ASRock 775 Dual 915GL mobo with Celeron D 330J 2.66 ghz processor, onboard GMA900 and a myzar patched 10.4.5 install (but now updated with the Jas 10.4.6 update.

1 I first ran from my onboard GMA900 card, just to be safe. In /Systems/Library/Extensions, I deleted all GeForce and ATIRadeon files except the following 4:

ATIRadeonX1000kext

ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle

ATINDRV.kext

2 Edit ATINDRV.kext as follows: Change <string>IONDRVDevice</string> to read <string>IOPCIDevice</string> And change <string>ATY,WORMY</string> to read <string>display</string>

3 Next, edit ATIRadeonX1000.kext as follows: Look for the IOPCIMatch and change the following line to <string>0x71C21002</string> I just deleted all other references to other devices and the 71C2 should refer to your device id Also, on the next line, make sure that your IOProviderClass is listed as IOPCIDevice

4 Edit ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin as follows: make sure these two lines show your device id and keep in mind, it's backwards:

<key>100271C2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</key>

<string>100271C2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

I also think I changed this line, not sure but make sure this is how what your edited plist will show, pay attention to the last line.

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

5 sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extentions.kext.cache

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

6 Go to Disk Utilities, repair permissions, reboot and Bob's your uncle

You say this:

2 Edit ATINDRV.kext as follows: Change IONDRVDevice to read IOPCIDevice And change ATY,WORMY to read display

But before you said this:

and change this line IONameMatchATY,WORMY to read IONameMatchdisplay

Which one is right (they are not the same as far as I can see)?

And yeah, the difference in dev ID may be the problem too--mine is 71c0

You say this:

But before you said this:

Which one is right (they are not the same as far as I can see)?

And yeah, the difference in dev ID may be the problem too--mine is 71c0

quietglow,

I looked over my notes and yes it seems right. Here is what was in the ATINDRV.kext

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>ATY,WORMY</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>50000</integer>

<string>IONDRVDevice</string>

And what works for me is:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>50000</integer>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

See the difference? And as far as your device ID (and also check your vendor ID) whewre I typed

<string>0x71C21002</string>

You might need to change to

<string>0x71C01002</string>

and make sure your vendor is is 1002 or you would need to change that accordingly.

Also, in the ATIRaseonX1000GA.plugin, you need to change the code from

<key>100271C2-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</key>

to

<key>100271C0-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</key>

You need to do this twice, you will see what I mean a few lines further down.

Hope that clears it up for you

And as far as X700, sorry, I have only mine to work with

Good deal. I'll give it another shot tonight and post results. I'm facing other problems with my x1600xt and Cinema Display not playing nicely together, so I may not be the person to test this.

Good deal. I'll give it another shot tonight and post results. I'm facing other problems with my x1600xt and Cinema Display not playing nicely together, so I may not be the person to test this.

Hey, I wish you luck. Best I can tell you is just look over all the settings really well. Hopefully there is not much of a difference between the XT and PRO. To be safe, delete all other ID's in the plists. I did not do it the first time and it messed it up. Let me know how it goes

Thank you guys, This is what I've been looking for. :)

My x1600 Pro 128MB is working fine.

However, It doen't seem to work with DVI cables. After switching to VGA cable, it worked like a charm.

Again, Thanks a million!!

Hi borisbadenov,

can you please put the ouput of:

ioreg -l -w 0

?

just the part with ATIRadeonX1000 something ...

I am trying this on a Radeon 7500 ... and I get a screen out-of-sync.

Here is my output... :

| |   |	 +-o ATIRadeon  <class ATIRadeon, registered, matched, active, bu
sy 0, retain count 6>
| |   |	   | {
| |   |	   |   "AccelCaps" = 0
| |   |	   |   "IOGLBundleName" = "ATIRadeonGLDriver"
| |   |	   |   "IOSourceVersion" = "1.4.26.11"
| |   |	   |   "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.ATIRadeon"
| |   |	   |   "IOClass" = "ATIRadeon"
| |   |	   |   "IODVDBundleName" = "ATIRadeonDVDDriver"
| |   |	   |   "IOProbeScore" = 0
| |   |	   |   "IOMatchCategory" = "IOAccelerator"
| |   |	   |   "IOPCIMatch" = "0x4C571002"
| |   |	   |   "IOAccelRevision" = 2
| |   |	   |   "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e
"="ATIRadeonGA.plugin"}
| |   |	   |   "IOProviderClass" = "IOPCIDevice"

| |   |	   +-o ATIR62DContext  <class ATIR62DContext, !registered, !match
ed, active, busy 0, retain count 5>
| |   |	   |   {
| |   |	   |   }
| |   |	   |   
| |   |	   +-o ATIR6Surface  <class ATIR6Surface, !registered, !matched, 
active, busy 0, retain count 5>
| |   |		   {
| |   |			 "IOUserClientCrossEndianCompatible" = Yes
| |   |		   }

Thanks ....

borisbadenov wasnt this workaround already existing in Hacking ATINDRV.kext? Anyway do u think it is necessary to modify the X1000GA.plugin? i dont think so...

If u have any idea to make it work on RADEON9700 im ur man :)

nice found !

Anyone tried with the X1600 AGP and the X1600 regular version?