Do the new 20" iMacs have 16.7 million colors?

2 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

My question is do the new 20" iMacs really have 16.7 Million colors? Some of you might know that Apple was sued in 2008 because of false advertising, the 2008 20" Models really only had 262K colors...

So did they resolve this with the latest 2009 models?

As far as I know, the 2009 model uses a similar panel to the 2008 model. Both are 6-bit color displays.

Not only are the 6-bit displays easier to manufacture - they can be made brighter and they have faster response times.

I've seen the 2009 iMac 20" in person and it's a fine looking display. I would never buy an iMac, but it looked fine.

I've used both 8-bit and 6-bit displays extensively. You can sometimes tell when the 6-bit displays are using their "trickery" to get more color depth, but to me it's such a non-issue it's almost not worth mentioning. I do a fair amount of photo work, and it's never affected my ability to generate great looking prints.

The only time I could reasonably assume there could be a problem is if you're working for print, and your screen to scanner to printer calibration must be 100% accurate. Which in case, you probably wouldn't be using an LCD display anyways.

http://pcworld.about.com/od/desktops/20--a...minum-IMacs.htm