[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

Hi robo456 - All I can suggest is you have a read of Koalala's thread as that's where ACPI Patcher comes from. So any bugs, errors will be reported there.

Thanks, blackosx! After reading over a bunch of threads and googling a bit, there were a few lines that needed to be removed when I built the file in 10.5.8. Interestingly, after I got 10.6 running, I built it again, and didn't need to do any editing! Strange stuff.

Anyway, still can't seem to get the video card working yet thru DSDT (works fine thru EFI string), but really want to try to get as close to vanilla as possible.

**EDIT**

Here's a copy of my DSDT.dsl file i just de-compiled. It looks as tho the entries for the 8600GT 256mb (PCI0) is in there, it just refuses to read it no matter what. Can anyone see if I'm missing something? Thanks!

--rob

DSDT.dsl.txt

Once you have added this, you can remove the need for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /E/E.

I was just reworking my dsdt after getting a Netgear GA311 on the cheap (disabled the mobo ethernet and removed the psystar driver) and thought I'd add some of these new fixes.

Everything seems ok with the dsdt, but when I try to remove IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext as suggested MKextTool.app fails to build Extensions.mkext with this error:

warning: kernel extension /tmp/MKextToolPack/dsmos.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /tmp/MKextToolPack/OpenHaltRestart.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /tmp/MKextToolPack/UUID.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

Those happen to be the only three remaining kexts. I'm still using Chameleon 2.0-rc2 and OS 10.5.8 FYI.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? Google's failed me so far.

Hi Zengiga mate. It's been a while since I've heard from you, have you not been tempted to jump to Snow Leopard?

I don't know why MKextTool fails... it's always built what I have thrown at it. Maybe put your kexts in another folder on the desktop and try again?

So are you only using those three kexts now for your 10.5.8? what about your audio with LegcayHDA? Also you can use Netkas' fakesmc.kext now instead of dmsos.kext if you want.

Also, that quote about removing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, I haven't tried with Leopard, just Snow Leopard, but it should work.

Hi Zengiga mate. It's been a while since I've heard from you, have you not been tempted to jump to Snow Leopard?

Hit the nail in the head, still not upgraded and thus have been missing out on the snow leopard party - well, I've been keeping an eye on your 10.6 guide, but obviously not much to contribute :D Not quite tempted yet, the wise man always waits for a minor OS update or two :unsure:

Plus I'd like to add a second hard drive to make such upgrades easier, maybe pick up a bigger usb key, ought to upgrade form iLife 08...it's gonna be a bigger jump that you might think. And I want a good idea of what software I'm going to lose - Freehand MX for instance is looking like it may finally have hit the end of the line.

Good grief. When did I get so old and sensible?!

I don't know why MKextTool fails... it's always built what I have thrown at it. Maybe put your kexts in another folder on the desktop and try again?

Same here. Another folder? It already moves them to /tmp by the looks of the error message, and it usually authenticates round any permissions problems. I'm inclined to take the error message at face value ie those kexts really do have a dependency on IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector. Only I've never seen that message before, so it doesn't really make sense.

So are you only using those three kexts now for your 10.5.8? what about your audio with LegcayHDA?

I had an iMic before I built the hack, so I've never bothered faffing with audio. And yes, just got a netgear ga311, so have now dropped the three kexts needed for that. Of course, some stuff is in the dsdt.aml too, so it's as much a case or moving the hacks around than not using them :D

Also you can use Netkas' fakesmc.kext now instead of dmsos.kext if you want.

Also, that quote about removing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, I haven't tried with Leopard, just Snow Leopard, but it should work.

I'll take a look at fakesmc.

Thanks.

If your Leopard system is running really well then I can understand your waiting, but Snow Leopard is rock solid on my system now. And yes, a second HD & >=8GB USB key will make your life so much easier. I don't use iLife so I don't know about that with Snow Leopard. Though it's good to see another Freehand MX user out there, I love it (so much better than that over bloated Illustrator for drawing). And the good news is, it works fine in 10.6.

As for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, I guess it's no real hardship to leave it in /E/E if it is causing all those dependency issues. (I still can't think why though...).

Happy hacking :unsure:

As for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, I guess it's no real hardship to leave it in /E/E if it is causing all those dependency issues. (I still can't think why though...).

Yeah, and 'me to'.

Here's something interesting though, whilst poking about in UUID.kext looking for dependency info I realised I hadn't updated the ethernet mac address in there to match the netgear ga311. So I changed it - but then realised I hadn't had any "CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" errors either. So I removed it and...no more error: 35's!

Still doesn't help with IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext but I now have one less kext =D

I've disabled on board ethernet, and set the ga311 as ethernet in the dsdt.aml, so I don't know whether it's the dsdt.aml, using a pci ethernet card or the combination of the two, but it works.

Off to try fakesmc now...

I don't know why MKextTool fails... it's always built what I have thrown at it.

OK. Seem to have resolved this issue. I've always choses to slim the architecture to x86_64, but it seems that causes this issue with dependencies if IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is removed.

The workaround seems to be leaving the slim option at it's default i386, then mkext tool builds the extensions.mkext without complaint.

So it seems the 'CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35' error only happens with the on-board networking.. Thanks.

I may have spoken a little too soon.

I *do* get error: 35 during boot, but the error messages stop when the Apple driver for the ethernet card loads.

so repeated during boot process:

Sep 28 12:34:15 localhost DirectoryService[11]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

until (I've replace the actual mac address with X's):

Sep 28 12:34:28 localhost kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Still testing.

I see you have sorted the MKextTool issue. I have never played with the x86_64, but well done for discovering that was the cause of it failing.

If I remember, the Error 35 only did occur for a short while during the boot process, so that's correct. As for your time machine, that's bad news.... especially as you were the one who originally posted the Time machine fix to my 10.5.7 thread! Maybe the time machine fix in DSDT can be applied to your card?

If I remember, the Error 35 only did occur for a short while during the boot process, so that's correct.

As I remember it carried on even after boot, slowly filling the logs...one of us has false memories :D

As for your time machine, that's bad news.... especially as you were the one who originally posted the Time machine fix to my 10.5.7 thread! Maybe the time machine fix in DSDT can be applied to your card?

As far as I was concerned I *had* applied the fix in the new DSDT I made. Not done with this problem yet though, just taken the time to upgrade to Chameleon 2.0RC3. Time for a reboot to see if that's worked...

As I remember it carried on even after boot, slowly filling the logs...one of us has false memories ;)
Lol, probably me then. I have 4 threads on the go at once here and it does get difficult sometimes to remember exact details of everything.. :D

As far as I was concerned I *had* applied the fix in the new DSDT I made. Not done with this problem yet though, just taken the time to upgrade to Chameleon 2.0RC3. Time for a reboot to see if that's worked...
As a last resort, you could maybe decompile your DSDT with isalMe and compare the content for your network/time machine with another DSDT. Mine's on the front page of this thread for reference.

Chameleon v2 RC3 should work fine :)

Since the ga311 was recognized as en1 and it seems it ought to be en0 I deleted the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/Preferences.plist

Once I did that the ga311 was being assigned the bsd name en0, but the logs are now also filling with error: 35 all the time. This is despite adding it in dsdt :thumbsup_anim:

At least we now know the lack or error: 35's was due to legacy config, and my earlier post was in error.

As a last resort, you could maybe decompile your DSDT with isalMe and compare the content for your network/time machine with another DSDT. Mine's on the front page of this thread for reference.

Will do. One thing I noticed, comparing the decompiled dsdt I made today and the one I made yesterday is that it makes quite a difference if you choose lan0 vs gigE in Patcher 02Beta5, the former specifically declares built-in, which the latter has lots of refs to gp9. Sadly neither seems to make the card be recognized as built in by OSX.

So it looks like I may just have to revert to UUID.kext to fix error: 35 and time machine. DSDT isn't fixing either. I'll do a bit more reading first though, since plenty of posts claim it is possible to fix both these with a DSDT.

Aside from stuff I'm not including (graphics, audio) they seem fairly similar, some differences in the usb stuff (where mine has 'one' yours has '0x03', ioreg does label mine as built in) and the LAN declaration is identical.

Actually the latter seems suspicious, how can a mobo eth and eth on a pci card have identical dsdt info? Will look into this more this evening.

Well, I've given up trying to set the Netgear ga311 as 'built in', at best I could only create a phantom GIGE or LAN device next to the ethernet@1 in the device tree using the dsdt.aml.

Instead I re-enabled the onboard ethernet, and recreated the dsdt.aml with that. It's now successfully recognized as built in. And I have the network actually plugged in to the ga311 and working.

But the Time Machine fix doesn't seem to be working, it's complaining about not being able to find the built in network interface - probably because I haven't put back UUID.kext yet. Going to try tinkering with the dsdt a bit more before I give in.

Hi ZenGiga - That netgear is giving you the run around?... You'll crack it in the end.. Frustrating though I bet :)

Well, I gave up and put UUID.kext back too. I have two network interfaces but everything seems to be working ok.

I never mentioned that the reason I got the ga311 was I was still experiencing the occasional issue with printer sharing when using mobo ethernet and dsdt plus Psystar realtek1000 drivers. The printer (connected to the hack) would occasionally just disappear when trying to print from another mac, fixed by restarting the hack (ouch).

So we'll see if the ga311 + Apple drivers work better.

I never mentioned that the reason I got the ga311 was I was still experiencing the occasional issue with printer sharing when using mobo ethernet and dsdt plus Psystar realtek1000 drivers.

I still don't have a printer at home, well not on my hack. So I can't test it, but I wonder if the problem would still exist in Snow Leopard?

do you know where the video drivers are in the DSDT.aml??? I got a friend to patch me one with windows, as for me it cannot find any file to patch... He has now left on hollies and cannnot do another for me... It works, but means i lack QE,CI...

Audio works and so does network and the CMOS patch, but he put the 8800GT in instead of the 9800GT in.. I would like to remove it or edit it... I am fine using EFI strings...

I have attached a copy of the DSDT.aml for reference or patching if someone is feeling kind...

I can also give a raw DSDT, or one i made by hand with 889a in it...

Thanks

DSDT.aml.zip

I have added a DSDT to the front page of this thread which just has the basic swtiches from ACPI Patcher checked (WAK, Local etc..) and then included ALC888-0 with HDEF and the CMOS reset fix.

You could try using that and then adding video and networking as a device (EFI) string. See me 10.5.7 guide for how to add them together.

Gigabyte have released BIOS F11b at last. It now includes AHCI v1.20E to bring this board up to the same level as most of the other Gigabyte boards. I have posted a link to the actual F11b BIOS file on the front page of this thread. This guide works for F11b exactly the same as it did with BIOS F10.