[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

thanks for the quick reply, so I think I got it correct but since memory doesn't always serve I'm redoing the entire thing.

another random question. When doing the cmos reset patch, some guides show the 0x04 changed to a 0x02 in 2 places (right next to eachother) and others only in the upper location. Are both changes neccessary?

post-349225-1252243988_thumb.png

And the ep45-dq6 has 4 ethernet connectors, supposedly one can link them together to get increased speeds, but one has always worked fine under leopard.

anyway, doing it all again using your guide, kexts etc. will report back later.

thanks for the quick reply, so I think I got it correct but since memory doesn't always serve I'm redoing the entire thing.

another random question. When doing the cmos reset patch, some guides show the 0x04 changed to a 0x02 in 2 places (right next to eachother) and others only in the upper location. Are both changes neccessary?

And the ep45-dq6 has 4 ethernet connectors, supposedly one can link them together to get increased speeds, but one has always worked fine under leopard.

Hi muckler

Somebody else asked me this question for the CMOS reset fix recently and I gave the advice to only change the first one, as I only changed one setting as I have put in my guide.

As for the p45-dq6 and it having 4 ethernet connectors, I haven't got a clue on how to link them together?... But good luck with re-doing it :P

Hey blackosx. Thanks again for the great guides, as I am writing this on a "fully" working Snow Leopard. My last attack is getting audio working. Right now, I don't have it working. With the patcher program you gave us, it doesn't include a lot of other codecs, including mine, ALC883. I have a codec dump that I used to edit the AppleHDA.kext and I used this in leopard. This method doesn't work anymore, as it gives a KP in Snow Leopard.

What I am saying is, do you know how I can transfer my codec dump and add it into the DSDT in the correct place. I know it,s not straight forward copy/paste, but I am at a loss. If you have any input, it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

is it just me or is that link to the guide not working? Tried on couple computers.

The mediashare link, anyone have another link?

Also anyone know what to do about a nvidia gtx 260? I got snow installed (not following guide), and screens went blank when booting. Can I use DSDT with gtx 260?

Hey blackosx. Thanks again for the great guides, as I am writing this on a "fully" working Snow Leopard. My last attack is getting audio working. Right now, I don't have it working. With the patcher program you gave us, it doesn't include a lot of other codecs, including mine, ALC883. I have a codec dump that I used to edit the AppleHDA.kext and I used this in leopard. This method doesn't work anymore, as it gives a KP in Snow Leopard.

What I am saying is, do you know how I can transfer my codec dump and add it into the DSDT in the correct place. I know it,s not straight forward copy/paste, but I am at a loss. If you have any input, it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Hi skball123 - well done with your Snow Leopard buidl :(

However, transferring your ALC883 codec dump is way out of my knowledge range and I would suggest you seek the help of the experts in that area.. Maybe start with MadTux's guide?

is it just me or is that link to the guide not working? Tried on couple computers.

The mediashare link, anyone have another link?

Also anyone know what to do about a nvidia gtx 260? I got snow installed (not following guide), and screens went blank when booting. Can I use DSDT with gtx 260?

Hi keypox

Sorry about the mediafire links... they are proving to be problematic at the moment....

For you GTX - Have a look at this post by banini_jeque.

Hi blackosx,

Thanks for the awesome guide... everything works just fine now also thanks to ApexDE for the usb fix. although i would like to mention that after i use the iaslMe de/compiler i do a

cd /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/
sudo chown root:wheel dsdt.aml
sudo chmod 755 dsdt.aml

to get the perms right. using Chameleon RC3.

Next step SL ... thanks again m8 for doing all the research and compiling neat guides for the community.

Hi -iCE!HACKER - well done :(

Have a good read of the Snow Leopard install guide, opt for the BootCD install route and setup your Chameleon partition. The process is easy, the hardest part is just getting everything right in Chameleon.

post-349225-1252243988_thumb.png

I had to change both on my p35 ds4, to get it right. To change only the first instance, lead to a CMOS-reset.

Hi skball123 - well done with your Snow Leopard buidl :)

However, transferring your ALC883 codec dump is way out of my knowledge range and I would suggest you seek the help of the experts in that area.. Maybe start with MadTux's guide?

Hi keypox

Sorry about the mediafire links... they are proving to be problematic at the moment....

For you GTX - Have a look at this post by banini_jeque.

hey thanks for the post im gonna give it another go. Is method 3b for installation really cause more errors? Install from within leopard that is? Because I dont have a >4GB usb stick, and no DL's.

hey thanks for the post im gonna give it another go. Is method 3b for installation really cause more errors? Install from within leopard that is? Because I dont have a >4GB usb stick, and no DL's.

If you haven't got a USB then try the BootCD - and yes, installing SL from within Leopard using the OSInstall.mkpg method WILL give you errors.

WiFi problems?

For anyone with a PCI WiFi card that fails to be recognised after building a DSDT...

kennypharma posted his solution in my Snow Leopard thread. It might be worth a try, at least to see if it works for you.

Hey!

You wrote that you already need a retail installation running on your desktop for editing the dsdt file correctly (to extract the pc's insformation). But does this mean, that you really need a retail installation or can you use any distribution like iatkos or something...(just for the first install...)

Thanks for the answer...

Greets to all the geniuses out there.

I got almost everything working using EFI strings and ALC888 pkg's etc. Audio, resolutions, airport card...but I have no QE/CI. So, I tryed the guide and made a DSDT. BUT, IORegistryExplorer shows that both, my graph card and network card are addressed PCI@0. I tryed different addresses but no luck, there's a lot of addresses to try. Any ideas? Or could somebody of you geniuses make me a dsdt.aml file...

Specs:

OS X 10.5.6 on:

-GA-EP45-DS3LR (BIOS @ http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...mp;FileID=13874 )

-Nvidia 9800GT 1024MB

wifi card: D-Link DWA-510

dont care about the onboard LAN..as long as I could get the wifi card working as an airport card.

Cheers!

How do you get IORegisterExplorer to run on a mobo that has not IO installed?

Seems like a silly question. I'm assuming that you run from the same machine that leopard is running from. I get making a DSDT file from the BIOS image (running on Win machine to accomplish). is it true then the only way to install SL is on a machine already running a version of OSX?

Many thanks in advance.

My Target mobo is a GA-eg45m-ud2 - quad core, G45 express chipset.

Hi guys.. I'm trying to generate a DSDT for my EP45-DS3R, very similar to the DS3L in the guide. Problem is when I use the ACPI Patcher (0.2 beta 5) and select all the appropriate stuff (using IOExplorer and the latest F10 bios), I get:

[ACPI] ROM is extracted to acpi.xtr
Intel ACPI Component Architecture
AML Disassembler version 20081204 [Dec  4 2008]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20081204 [Dec  4 2008]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

dsdt.dsl  4305:									 Return (0x01)
Warning  1099 -					   Statement is unreachable ^ 

dsdt.dsl  4438:								 If (LEqual (Arg2, 0x03))
Warning  1099 -				 Statement is unreachable ^ 

ASL Input:  dsdt.dsl - 6152 lines, 205624 bytes, 2588 keywords
AML Output: dsdt.aml - 19954 bytes, 692 named objects, 1896 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 2 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 733 Optimizations
Adding ACPITBL.BIN  36.5%

when I try to patch the bios. Any ideas? Thanks much!

**EDIT**

Same thing happens with the beta 4 software version too.

--rob

I successfully created a DSDT using the ACPI Patcher for my P35-DS3L and everything appears to be working in SL except bonjour. I had to use a fix I found in a UD3R guide to get that working. I also have the EP45-UD3P, but it has dual video cards (I have 3 monitors), so how do I go about patching the DSDT for something like that? I didn't see anything in the guide about that and I didn't see anywhere in the Patcher that would suggest it is capable of doing 2 video cards. Anyone else have this problem?

Update: I accidentally got it working by using a hard drive I put together for my P35-DS3L. It is working just using PEG in the BIOS also. I would be most interested if someone who knows what they are doing could take a look at what I used on the hard drive including a copy of the DSDT.dsl file and tell me why this is working. I made a text file with the pertinent info and it is located here:

http://groups.google.com/group/hq-a/files

The file name is accident.zip. It's only about 250k, so please take a look at it and let me know what I did! Also how do I now go about patching the DSDT for the sound on my UD3P which has a ALC889a instead of the ALC888 which is in my DS3L. Thanks

I have my hard drive formatted correctly. Im trying to dothe boot cd method. Everything works fine untill I try to boot the retail SL disc. It pauses for second, shows a some string error at the top left, it flashes too fast for me to get it all. It goes to the blue shield logo with the spinnig circle at the bottom. But then it never loads. It just keeps spinning. Any ideas?

I've been using this guide, and all the patches seem to work except the SATA fix. I've double checked, and I've got everything in the right spot, but it's still seeing it as ICH10 AHCI instead of ESB2

I'm on a GA-EP43-DS3L, which is pretty similar. Is there something I should be changing because it's a P43 board. and not P45?

Edit: Solved it. I have an IDE1 and IDE2 section, and I accidentally put the fix in IDE2

Thanks for your Guid BlackOSX

I have some Probleme , Can you Help me ?

I Have a GA-P35-DS3P , I have insalled Snow , everything is Ok but I have 3 Problem:

1) my ACH9 Show as unknown ACH

2) my CPU shows as unknown ( see Photo )

3) I have a 889a sound card , it shows in Syszemprofiler but I have no Soud ( see Photo )

Thx

30207pe.gif

28t8e8g.gif

iy0ld2.gif

jzt9bd.gif

I Have a GA-P35-DS3P , I have insalled Snow , everything is Ok but I have 3 Problem:

1) my ACH9 Show as unknown ACH

2) my CPU shows as unknown ( see Photo )

3) I have a 889a sound card , it shows in Syszemprofiler but I have no Soud ( see Photo )

Tala - This is a DSDT thread for the GA-EP45-DS3L

There are many threads now on insanely covering setting up Gigabyte P35 boards. These will show you all you need to know. Have a look at the main 10.6 installation thread

I have my hard drive formatted correctly. Im trying to dothe boot cd method. Everything works fine untill I try to boot the retail SL disc. It pauses for second, shows a some string error at the top left, it flashes too fast for me to get it all. It goes to the blue shield logo with the spinnig circle at the bottom. But then it never loads. It just keeps spinning. Any ideas?

@Qwiegybow - This is a DSDT thread. For Snow Leopard install questions have a look at my 10.6 install guide (see my signature for link) and read the front page for install tips.

Hi guys.. I'm trying to generate a DSDT for my EP45-DS3R, very similar to the DS3L in the guide. Problem is when I use the ACPI Patcher (0.2 beta 5) and select all the appropriate stuff (using IOExplorer and the latest F10 bios), I get:

Hi robo456 - All I can suggest is you have a read of Koalala's thread as that's where ACPI Patcher comes from. So any bugs, errors will be reported there.

How do you get IORegisterExplorer to run on a mobo that has not IO installed?

Seems like a silly question. I'm assuming that you run from the same machine that leopard is running from. I get making a DSDT file from the BIOS image (running on Win machine to accomplish). is it true then the only way to install SL is on a machine already running a version of OSX?

Hi amac4evry1 - Yes you will need to be running a version of OS X to run IORegistryExplorer.

Can somebody tell me where I get the info which "framebuffer" I have? I habe a Radeon 2600 XT but I don't know which framebuffer to select. Thanx!

All I can do is point you in the directions of Koalala's thread where you will find explanations for what you need.