[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

Thanks Again blackosx. I got my SL (EP45-DS3L, 9800GT, Q9300) Stable. No KP, and everything works.

9800GT worked via EFI String.

now i just need to wait for my main apps to run on SL.

No problem, Enjoy SL and your new system :rolleyes:

hi everyone,

im following this guide and the 10.6 guide, my goal is get dsdt working on 10.5.7 then install 10.6. but i wanted to know if i should be installing chameleon 2 rc2 as hfs standard or hfs efi.

and why one is preferred to the other.

thanks!

hi everyone,

im following this guide and the 10.6 guide, my goal is get dsdt working on 10.5.7 then install 10.6. but i wanted to know if i should be installing chameleon 2 rc2 as hfs standard or hfs efi.

and why one is preferred to the other.

thanks!

I install Chameleon on to it's own partition to make it easier for people to use. If you're confident with the Terminal then do ahead and install to the EFI. But note: there's one argument floating around that if you are going to use the EFI partition then it should be left as FAT32 and not reformatted to HFS+ and also a new question I have seen regarding does Apple use the EFI partition for updates in 10.6?...

So it's totally up to you and there's not right or wrong at the moment. ;)

blackosx

Regarding the 3 kexts that you used to get bonjour networking going, did you have to edit any of them in order to specify your ethernet controller chip and its location? Or, is this all handled by your DSDL?

Thanks,

h50

For 10.5.8, I added RealtekR1000.kext in to /E/E and then added the IONetworkingFamily.kext from /S/L/E, in to /E/E to work with RealtekR1000.kext. I did not edit them at all.

I had to do this regardless of using DSDT.

But there's a new way of getting Bonjour to work for 10.6 and I haven't tried it yet with 10.5.8. So maybe that will work, and in that case you won't need either RealtekR1000 or IONetworkingFamily.kext in /E/E

I install Chameleon on to it's own partition to make it easier for people to use. If you're confident with the Terminal then do ahead and install to the EFI. But note: there's one argument floating around that if you are going to use the EFI partition then it should be left as FAT32 and not reformatted to HFS+ and also a new question I have seen regarding does Apple use the EFI partition for updates in 10.6?...

So it's totally up to you and there's not right or wrong at the moment. :wacko:

For 10.5.8, I added RealtekR1000.kext in to /E/E and then added the IONetworkingFamily.kext from /S/L/E, in to /E/E to work with RealtekR1000.kext. I did not edit them at all.

I had to do this regardless of using DSDT.

But there's a new way of getting Bonjour to work for 10.6 and I haven't tried it yet with 10.5.8. So maybe that will work, and in that case you won't need either RealtekR1000 or IONetworkingFamily.kext in /E/E

Are the files included on your boot CD -- IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext -- from 10.5.8 or 10.5.7? I stopped at 10.5.7 so this may be my probelm.

h50

Are the files included on your boot CD -- IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext -- from 10.5.8 or 10.5.7? I stopped at 10.5.7 so this may be my probelm.

h50

The files on the boot CD, IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext are from 10.5.7

The files on the boot CD, IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext are from 10.5.7

Blackosx,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll step back to 10.5.7. and get everything working again before trying to udpate to 10.5.8.

h50

P.S. I like your partioning scheme and the clarity of your explanations.

is there a litmus test to confirm that the system is using DSDT?

i (think) i have it setup properly but i don't get video without using efi strings. i can work around the video problem but i want to confirm that DSDT is working.

When you boot, and you are at the Chameleon device selection screen, highlight your required system, press down arrow to bring up the menu and select Verbose boot, then press enter. Just after you press enter, hit the pause button on the keyboard to pause the boot process. Then at anytime hit another key to start it going again. You can use this method to read the screen and help see any problems etc... But the very last line (I think) will say something like 'Found DSDT'...

thank you, i forgot about verbose mode... still learning :P

i did notice that when i had DSDT on my chameleon partition in /extra the video wasnt working. but when i put DSDT in the root of my system partition it worked.

a friend whos gotten his hackintosh going told me it should always be on the system partition, but all the guides i read say the opposite.

am i missing something when im setting this up?

thank you, i forgot about verbose mode... still learning :P

i did notice that when i had DSDT on my chameleon partition in /extra the video wasnt working. but when i put DSDT in the root of my system partition it worked.

a friend whos gotten his hackintosh going told me it should always be on the system partition, but all the guides i read say the opposite.

am i missing something when im setting this up?

Taken from the official Chameleon Docs....

(You can find this at the voodooprojects forum, under Chameleon Board > General Discussion > Official Chameleon Docs)

DSDT=<file> Use an alternate DSDT.aml file

(default paths are /DSDT.aml or /Extra/DSDT.aml).

So, to answer your question, it works from either location.

So I'm having issues getting my SATA identified in System profiler...just shows as blank with my drives listed underneath

In my dsdt.aml, there's no SAT or SATA entry, only IDE1

When I tried to add the entry for ICH7 (0xDF 0x27 ...) in my DSDT, my SATA drives showed up under my ATA tab!

Any idea how to fix this?

This is on SL

hawaii50, cpu is unknown here too, and not sure if there is a way to change what it says

kramer2k, try AHCIPortInjector.kext in /E/E along with AHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, that worked for me. Though I'm not sure what ICH your using, mine is ICH9.

@hawaii50 & @EnzoFX

Yeah, me too. Here's my 'About this Mac'. It reads the same info in 10.5.8 too

@blackosx @EnzoFX

I think what happening here is that we all downloded a BIOS file for our motherboards from Gigabyte's website and fed it to Koalala's DSDT patcher. Thing is, Gigabyte's stock BIOS file cannot include an entry for the CPU because the mobo is sold without a CPU. That means the DSDTs we are using don't have an entry for the CPU so system profiler reports the CPU as unknown. I think the computer must still be able to detect what kind of CPU it is because my system profile screen shows 1 processor with 4 cores. However, when I tried to install Silverlight -- needed for Netflix -- the installer said that an Intel processor was required and Silverlight would not install.

Does anyone's system profile report identify their CPU correctly?

If so, could you tell us how you did it?

Thanks,

h50

@blackosx @EnzoFX

I think what happening here is that we all downloded a BIOS file for our motherboards from Gigabyte's website and fed it to Koalala's DSDT patcher. Thing is, Gigabyte's stock BIOS file cannot include an entry for the CPU because the mobo is sold without a CPU. That means the DSDTs we are using don't have an entry for the CPU so system profiler reports the CPU as unknown. I think the computer must still be able to detect what kind of CPU it is because my system profile screen shows 1 processor with 4 cores. However, when I tried to install Silverlight -- needed for Netflix -- the installer said that an Intel processor was required and Silverlight would not install.

Does anyone's system profile report identify their CPU correctly?

If so, could you tell us how you did it?

Thanks,

h50

Having my CPU correctly identified in words never bothered me so I have never pursued a fix.. But there's a kext called SMBIOSResolver which might work for you... I have never tried it. If you type sysctl -a | grep cpu in Terminal it will tell you about it's speed etc...you will see all info but not the name of the CPU.

Also, to install Silverlight, you need to edit the package installer and remove version check script.

EDIT: I have come across setting your CPU details in the 'About this Mac' window, this in my 10.6 thread. See here.

Hi rramon, Sorry, but I have had no experience with using ATI video cards so I wouldn't know where to start with this either.

Hey :-)

i followed your DSDT Guide and your 10.6 installation guide, with great success. Thanks!

What I want to know is:

Has anyone tried to actually patch the bios and work with that? Will I do any harm to my computer by patching the bios? It would be great, if one could do that. I need some advice on this before trying it myself.

Thanks.

Update: I tried it myself. It's too risky. Error-Beeps on computer startup before the bios loads, eventually it loads, but can't get overclocked. Windows Installation won't startup.

Hey :-)

i followed your DSDT Guide and your 10.6 installation guide, with great success. Thanks!

What I want to know is:

Has anyone tried to actually patch the bios and work with that? Will I do any harm to my computer by patching the bios? It would be great, if one could do that. I need some advice on this before trying it myself.

Thanks.

Update: I tried it myself. It's too risky. Error-Beeps on computer startup before the bios loads, eventually it loads, but can't get overclocked. Windows Installation won't startup.

Hi Professor... Oh I see you have already found the pitfalls to what you've asked.

I was going to ask you why would you want to do this as the whole purpose of having these new bootloaders such as Chameleon, allow you to use DSDT override so you don't have to flash your mobo with a patched BIOS.

I'm a bit confused over PEX/PCI values and where to obtain them

please help me get my dsdt straightened out.. thanks.

Hi muckler, as I have always explained, building a patched DSDT can be a bit hit and miss and don't worry if you can't get it to work first time. It looks like your ethernet would be on PEX 0, but you have 4 of them? And your video on PCI 0 - maybe tick the PEGP box?

But if it still doesn't work, then keep trying