[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

Just wondering, did you test F9F again? I'm on F9e without Quick Boot, wondering if it's worth another BIOS update or not - thanks :D

Not yet, dude. Probably i will go to travel tonight and when i back, i will try and post results with them.

Regards and Happy New Year for ALL

Hey, first I want to thank you for this Guide!

After reading, I'd use your GA-EP45-DS3L DSDT 101209 v2

If I understood everything right, I only have to change the data for my CPU.

If I click on the "here" I only get the guide in a new window again, can somebody please tell my what I have to do exactly? I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6850.

After that, everything should work without any more kexts except the audio (I'd use LegacyHDA.kext) und the 9400GT Nvidia, right?

I'd use EFI Studio but this card isn't supportet.

Can someone give a hinthow I'd get this into the DSDT?

Thanx a lot!

Yes, read blackosx's pdf guide (the latest one he has posted - when I posted this, the latest was from Nov 30 2009). That is where I started, and it supplies a nice framework/foundation for beginning to customize one's dsdt.aml to your specific machine.

He also mention's iSoprano's thread in DSDT fixes for Gigabyte Boards... which is a good _dev_ thread, an excellent read, and is chocked full of good stuff, but may be a bit difficult to wade through and quickly/efficiently to get a specific fix that one may desire. It is under the Intel-Speed-Step subforum, but covers much, much more than just speed-step.

@blackosx : In iSoprano's thread, is there a specific post (or subset of posts) that details how/what to change in the dsdt setup in order to get Halt/Start/Reboot to work, thereby eliminating the need for the OpenHaltRestart.kext? I've searched, but cannot seem to find it.

Hey, first I want to thank you for this Guide!

After reading, I'd use your GA-EP45-DS3L DSDT 101209 v2

If I understood everything right, I only have to change the data for my CPU.

If I click on the "here" I only get the guide in a new window again, can somebody please tell my what I have to do exactly? I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6850.

Thanks.

To change the data for your CPU, the 'here' post points to post #298 on page 15. Here it is...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1334977

After that, everything should work without any more kexts except the audio (I'd use LegacyHDA.kext) und the 9400GT Nvidia, right?

You will still need a minimum of three kexts in /E/E.

They are fakesmc.kext, LegacyHDA.kext and OrangeIconFix.kext.

I understand you are saying there is no option for your 9400GT in ACPIPatcher?

I currently don't include video in my DSDT and use Chameleon's video device injection to configure my video card. You can try this by adding the following to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

And depending on which boot file you are using, you might need to also add

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

@blackosx : In iSoprano's thread, is there a specific post (or subset of posts) that details how/what to change in the dsdt setup in order to get Halt/Start/Reboot to work, thereby eliminating the need for the OpenHaltRestart.kext? I've searched, but cannot seem to find it.

Shutdown was solved by mm67 in our DSDT by changing the _PTS method. This is where is started.

Restart was achieved by Duvel300 by modifying the Chameleon RC4 boot file, so that's not a DSDT fix.

Shutdown was solved by mm67 in our DSDT by changing the _PTS method. This is where is started.

Restart was achieved by Duvel300 by modifying the Chameleon RC4 boot file, so that's not a DSDT fix.

Thanks for pinning that down for me - I'll look it over - I'm sure I can learn something from it, even if I don't end up using it.

About Duvel300's modification of the Chameleon RC4 boot file - is that mod in the standard issue of Chameleon RC4, or does it have to be added in after the fact?

I currently use PC EFI 10.5, and it is based on Chameleon RCsomething-or-other. It would be nice if this was already built into the standard-issue boot files.

On another note, a user was asking about fixes that made sleep work better on these Gigabyte boards - and I picked up his request to make a writeup of where your pdf guide dated November 29 2009 leaves off. My humble opinion is that your guide is utterly clear and complete. I tried to make mine as clear. Please feel free to use whatever parts of it you wish, if you ever do a revision of that pdf guide.

It is here - DSDT and other fixes for the UD3L and Similar Boards.pdf

The pages.app file of it is here - DSDT and other fixes for the UD3L and Similar Boards.pages .

Thanks.

To change the data for your CPU, the 'here' post points to post #298 on page 15. Here it is...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1334977

Sorrry, it is't working again, I only get the main post. Tried safari and firefox.

Can you please tell my the time it was posted, then I can search for it?

You will still need a minimum of three kexts in /E/E.

They are fakesmc.kext, LegacyHDA.kext and OrangeIconFix.kext.

OK, THX!

I understand you are saying there is no option for your 9400GT in ACPIPatcher?

I currently don't include video in my DSDT and use Chameleon's video device injection to configure my video card. You can try this by adding the following to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

And depending on which boot file you are using, you might need to also add

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

I tried the method described in your pdf about the retail install and startet EFI studio. In the pull down menu, my card is not listed.

@waldo_pepperjack: of course I could try building my own, but I if only have to change my CPU in the one posted here by blackosx, I hope this is much easier :thumbsup_anim:

I don't know lots about DSDT, I guess I'd fail if I try it on my own...

And I guess the one from blackosx is better than I could I ever do, no matter how long I'd try :)

Sorrry, it is't working again, I only get the main post. Tried safari and firefox.

Can you please tell my the time it was posted, then I can search for it?

No probs ;)

Have a look for post number #298 from November 18th at 06:53PM

The post is titled 'P-State guide...'

About Duvel300's modification of the Chameleon RC4 boot file - is that mod in the standard issue of Chameleon RC4, or does it have to be added in after the fact?

I currently use PC EFI 10.5, and it is based on Chameleon RCsomething-or-other. It would be nice if this was already built into the standard-issue boot files.

Duvel300 modified the standard issue Chameleon RC4 to include the restart fix. His patch came about after voodooprojects released RC4.

PC EFI v10.5 is a fork of Chameleon based on Chameleon RC3 but with added extras.

Chameleon RC4 includes some of the added extras of PC EFI v10.5 along with other newer features.

I you use PC-EFI then cparm has recompiled a version of PC-EFI to include Duvel300's restart fix and posted it in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix Thread (somewhere).

On another note, a user was asking about fixes that made sleep work better on these Gigabyte boards - and I picked up his request to make a writeup of where your pdf guide dated November 29 2009 leaves off. My humble opinion is that your guide is utterly clear and complete. I tried to make mine as clear. Please feel free to use whatever parts of it you wish, if you ever do a revision of that pdf guide.

Thanks, I will have a look at it.

For sleep working better with DSDT fixes is a grey area as there are many variables which affect sleep. For instance it could be hardware that doesn't behave very well and doesn't powerdown correctly when the OS requests. I used to use an old mouse that never powered down when trying to initiate sleep, DSDT wouldn't have been able to fix that as the hardware in the mouse didn't allow it.

For auto sleep, a current example is on the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread now as kdawg is trying to find out why auto sleep fails. He thought he had pinned it down to installng and running iStatMenus and DropBox. But as mm67 has mentioned auto sleep works fine for him while running both of those apps. For the record, I also run both those apps and auto sleep works for me too.

1. For sleep working better with DSDT fixes is a grey area as there are many variables which affect sleep. ...

2. For auto sleep, a current example is on the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread now as kdawg is trying to find out why auto sleep fails. He thought he had pinned it down to installng and running iStatMenus and DropBox. But as mm67 has mentioned auto sleep works fine for him while running both of those apps. For the record, I also run both those apps and auto sleep works for me too.

1. Agreed. One thing that has undoubtedly made life easier for Apple's software engineers the inherently small pool of hardware phenotypes that they have to count on. Good for them, not so good (or more of a challenge) for us, as many of our boards are probably only marginally close to what their engineers have to expect.

2. That is strange. My experience on my GA-EP45-UD3L & Intel Q9550 HackPro is that:

a. The virgin vanilla partition with 10.6.2 only has autosleep working fine, but the same system cloned (same kernel, dsdt.aml, kexts, everything) over to my work partition + all of my apps ... doesn't autosleep correctly.

b. Both my wife's MacBookPro and my old G4 Sawtooth (with a 1.3GHz upgrade) run 10.5.x. As I always do, each box has a virgin/untouched/basic install for "Rescue" purposes. My wife's MBP has unreliably/unpredictable/hit-or-miss autosleep on the main work partiition, but a/s works fine on the virgin 10.5.x. For my old G4, autosleep just plain doesn't work at all on the main partition, but does as expected on the virgin partition.

I had never thought about it that much until just the last 15 minutes or so... but a casual romp through Google search shows it to be a much more widespread problem than I'd imagined.

• To change yours to look like mine, you'll need to download the attached hnak_s_PStateChanger_and_bcc9_s_VoodooPstate zip file and install VoodooPState.kext (by bcc9) in to /System/Library/Extensions by drag & dropping the VoodooPState.kext on to Kext Utility's icon. Let it run and when it's complete, restart your system. When your system is back up and running, you'll need to run PStateChanger (by hnak). This will then show you the values that need go to in the _PSS section of the DSDT. (See the included screenshot in the attached ZIP folder). Just enter the data for the MHz column and combine the data from FID/VID columns as shown in my screenshot).

I can't run PStateChanger, I get an error thaht I can't run it with my version of OS-X (10.5.7 retail install).

Anyone an idea ?

I can't run PStateChanger, I get an error thaht I can't run it with my version of OS-X (10.5.7 retail install).

Anyone an idea ?

Hi Dieter

I did try to let everyone know that they were for 10.6 only...

• Please note that the tools I have posted here are for Snow Leopard only.

……..

Here's the downloads to help you for this (Remember they are Snow Leopard versions). If you need them for 10.5 then you will have to search for them.

Here's a link to hnak's thread where you should be able to find a 10.5 version.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188954

2. That is strange. My experience on my GA-EP45-UD3L & Intel Q9550 HackPro is that:

a. The virgin vanilla partition with 10.6.2 only has autosleep working fine, but the same system cloned (same kernel, dsdt.aml, kexts, everything) over to my work partition + all of my apps ... doesn't autosleep correctly.

b. Both my wife's MacBookPro and my old G4 Sawtooth (with a 1.3GHz upgrade) run 10.5.x. As I always do, each box has a virgin/untouched/basic install for "Rescue" purposes. My wife's MBP has unreliably/unpredictable/hit-or-miss autosleep on the main work partiition, but a/s works fine on the virgin 10.5.x. For my old G4, autosleep just plain doesn't work at all on the main partition, but does as expected on the virgin partition.

I have to agree with you that that is strange... In the past with 10.5, I have restored a previous cloned system and I never had an issue with that. Though I have not tried with 10.6. But as for it happening on an real Mac too?

... But as for it happening on an real Mac too?
Yup, as real as they come. The G4 is not stock (it has the fastest G4 upgrade I could buy for it a few years back). The MacBookPro _is_ stock, though. Both machines work fine, otherwise.

;);)

Looks like a system of many equations in even more variables right now...

Just a quick post to show I am running with different C-State data (from what I posted here) since mm67 showed me in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread.

The new code I am now using is as follows.

Method (_CST, 0, NotSerialized) // C-states
       {
           Return (Package (0x04)
           {
               0x03, 
               Package (0x4){ResourceTemplate (){Register (FFixedHW,0x01,0x02,0x000,0x0,)},One,One,0x3E8},
               Package (0x4){ResourceTemplate (){Register (FFixedHW,0x01,0x02,0x010,0x1,)},0x2,One,0x1F4},
               Package (0x4){ResourceTemplate (){Register (FFixedHW,0x01,0x02,0x030,0x3,)},0x4,0x39,0x064}
           })
       }

I have had no side effects with using this and apparently my CPU now enters C4, though I haven't had time to double-check this with linux as mm67 has done.

For further info you can read before and after my post confirming this in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread.

Great Thread!!!

Who can help me????

I've a modo (ga-ep45-ud3lr) and a e7500 processor with video card 9600GSO 1gb (efi string)...All works well but my dsdt.alm is not set properly...specially about the processor cause it's new (pre processor is e2200).

Where can i find a dsdt.alm for my system? With other dsdt my audio doesn't work...I would like to edit mine with the specific for e7500.

Thanx in advance and sorry form my english

Bye

My System: osx 10.6.2, ep45-ud3lr, 9600gso 1gb, intel E7500@2,93mhz, psu 550W, 4gb 800mhz (need to pass at 1066mhz)

Great Thread!!!

Who can help me????

I've a modo (ga-ep45-ud3lr) and a e7500 processor with video card 9600GSO 1gb (efi string)...All works well but my dsdt.alm is not set properly...specially about the processor cause it's new (pre processor is e2200).

Where can i find a dsdt.alm for my system? With other dsdt my audio doesn't work...I would like to edit mine with the specific for e7500.

Thanx in advance and sorry form my english

Bye

My System: osx 10.6.2, ep45-ud3lr, 9600gso 1gb, intel E7500@2,93mhz, psu 550W, 4gb 800mhz (need to pass at 1066mhz)

Hey, Drhill.

I can help you out.

I have a DSDT.aml setup specifically for EP43-DS3LR. It should/is compatible with EP45/EP43-DS/UD3LR.

I used to have a setup with E7500, and my friend has one :-), I think I can help you out and upload a DSDT.aml for you.

Here's the upload, this is for Gigabyte boards with P45/P43, with ALC888 Audio and ICH10R controllers in them. The CPU Speed-stepping is set to Intel Core 2 Duo E7500. Enjoy :-)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=26279410323971719885

But for the graphics card, sadly, I cannot help. Does your card work if you do the GraphicsEnabler option in Chameleon RC4?

BTW if you haven't, use BlackOSX's updated RC4.

if you're wondering, here's my com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>SystemID</key>
<string>00000000-0000-1000-8000-YOURMACADDRESSHERE</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string></string>
<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>
</dict>
</plist>

of course, if you want to boot STRAIGHT into Mac. delete Timeout - 10 replace it with

<key>Quite Boot </key>

<string>Yes</string>

If you want to boot into 64-bit, change <string>i386</string> to <string>x86_64</string>

and in system id, put your macaddress without the colon and in capital letters.

Hey, Drhill.

I can help you out.

I have a DSDT.aml setup specifically for EP43-DS3LR. It should/is compatible with EP45/EP43-DS/UD3LR.

I used to have a setup with E7500, and my friend has one :-), I think I can help you out and upload a DSDT.aml for you.

Here's the upload, this is for Gigabyte boards with P45/P43, with ALC888 Audio and ICH10R controllers in them. The CPU Speed-stepping is set to Intel Core 2 Duo E7500. Enjoy :-)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=26279410323971719885

But for the graphics card, sadly, I cannot help. Does your card work if you do the GraphicsEnabler option in Chameleon RC4?

BTW if you haven't, use BlackOSX's updated RC4.

if you're wondering, here's my com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>SystemID</key>
<string>00000000-0000-1000-8000-YOURMACADDRESSHERE</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string></string>
<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>
</dict>
</plist>

of course, if you want to boot STRAIGHT into Mac. delete Timeout - 10 replace it with

<key>Quite Boot </key>

<string>Yes</string>

If you want to boot into 64-bit, change <string>i386</string> to <string>x86_64</string>

and in system id, put your macaddress without the colon and in capital letters.

Thank you so much!!!

i'll try this tomorrow...I don't know how to edit dsdt.aml from zero...This help me so much....

What about bios setting?

Thanx bye

Thank you so much!!!

i'll try this tomorrow...I don't know how to edit dsdt.aml from zero...This help me so much....

What about bios setting and extra text (i've fakesmc,legacyhda, openhaltrestart and OrangeIconFix.kext)?

Thanx bye

Thank you so much!!!

What about bios setting?

Thanx bye

another question...when i try to copy a large file from a partition the progress bar is not costant.it seems that copy about 64mb at block...depends by the RAM ( 4gb 2gb@800 + 2gb@667 in dual channel port to' 800 by bios setup).

Thanx in advance

Drhill, im not too sure about the copying blocks, i think it does that on mine too im not too sure.

The bios settings.

Quick Boot (if you have it) = YES

SATA Mode = AHCI

SATA Native 0-3 = Yes

CPU Limit to 3 = Disabled

C1E = Disabled

C2/C2E = Disabled

C4/C4E = Disabled

CPU EIST Function = Disabled

Hi, Blackosx.

Have you tried this boot file?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...518&st=1453

Hi Jamonda

I am using this Asere's modified RC4 bootloader now.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1379649

Is it better than thiagomorales' modified RC4?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1369528

Better is the wrong way of looking at it. Think of it as the newest release containing the already existing ideas with new bits :P

And what about Master Chief's SSDT.aml? Do you know anything about it?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1369528

I have looked at it quickly, and it looks exciting but as far as I can tell at the moment it's mostly for Asus boards and it's still being worked on. Correct me if I'm wrong

Hi, Blackosx.

1. I tried Asere's modified bootloader. It works good. However, the system take's 10 times as much to wake from hibernation. What about yours?

2. Can you tell me anything about the dropssdt key?

Thanks.

Hi, Blackosx.

1. I tried Asere's modified bootloader. It works good. However, the system take's 10 times as much to wake from hibernation. What about yours?

2. Can you tell me anything about the dropssdt key?

Thanks.

Hi jamonda

I don't use hibernation so I haven't tested it with Asere's bootloader.

The dropssdt key.... Yes the boot option tells the bootloader not to load them, as we don't need them.

Sorry for the short reply but it's a bit mad at work at the moment :D

Have a read from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1360331

Hi to all....

I want to do something to show Pci Card in my system profile (in pci card list there's nothing) ...

I read some topic about efi string, but only for video card or ethernet

I've got a firewire pci card...How to proced?

Mu sistem sturtup with no proble but boot time process is not too fast...How to solve? When appear DSMOS starting it take some seconds

Thanx in advance

Gigabyte ep45-ud3lr-e7500-nvidia 9600gso 1gb-SL 10.6.2-Efi partition

Yes, you're right. I compared the linux ACPI dumps for GA-EP45-UD3L with bios F7 and F8 (the last version, with the quick boot option) and found the exact same differences. The diff file is attached.

This proofs the compatibility of your DSDT with the UD3L new bios.

jamonda, I've followed your posts regarding BIOS and QuickBoot.

For you, was it worth having F8 instead of F7? I currently have F7 and am happy w/ performance... my DSDT is right where I want it.

Did you find some measurable/appreciable benefits from it? If so, how much?

jamonda, I've followed your posts regarding BIOS and QuickBoot.

For you, was it worth having F8 instead of F7? I currently have F7 and am happy w/ performance... my DSDT is right where I want it.

Did you find some measurable/appreciable benefits from it? If so, how much?

Hi, waldo_pepperjack.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy these days.

To be honest, I haven't noticed any concrete benefit. I'm not an expert (I'm far from being :P ), but I think the main difference between F7 and F8 is the quick boot option, which is useless for me (I prefer sleep/hibernation/wake to shut down/start).

However, I think it's a good idea to keep our systems up to date, specially for people running Windows in dual boot like me. And I think that dealing with differences from F8 to F9 will also be easier than from F7 to F9.

Sorry if this has been covered, but most of the time the InsanelyMac search gives me an error, and when it does work I don't get the right hits.

I've got my system almost perfect thanks to blackosx's guides and help, but I'm trying to add support for my older IDE hard drives, and would prefer to have them in my tower vs. in external USB enclosures as they are today.

I'm running a GA-EP45-UD3L, and running blackosx's DSDT v5 file without any real issues.

Since my searches either error out or return everything but info on IDE drive (search tends to return everything with 'guIDE', which is of little help to me).

Can someone point me to the right thread/post that discusses enabling IDE drive support in 10.6 with the board I have, or an equivalent Gigabyte board?

Thanks,

Mike

blackosx: Is speedstep enabled in v5? I can't seem to find the pss parts to edit for my cpu?

Can someone point me to the right thread/post that discusses enabling IDE drive support in 10.6 with the board I have, or an equivalent Gigabyte board?

I tried various fixes, but always ended up getting KPs. So i bought a bigger sata drive