[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

Thanks... event I still confuse about it..

would you like post your benchmark with intelCPUManagement load and your LSPCI

it;s help me to learn your DSDT and compare with mine.

sorry asking you too much

thank's

forget.

Yes, I can run both together, install on S/L/E

The PState run Perfect when i run Pstatechanger with automatic setting, it's load up & down as much application need.

sorry my bad english :P

Quickly looking at it, I'm not sure. Did you remove VoodooPState.kext from /S/L/E at the same time you added the VoodooMonitor.kext in /E/E? (I don't think you can run both together).

I see you have posted a request in the Gigabyte Fix thread and hopefully somebody will be able to help you. But maybe you should have posted it in FormerlyKnownAs's Vanilla SpeedStep thread as that's the main thread for that.

For C-States, read this reply from a couple of page before this one :)

For a bit more information about the numbers, you can try reading this post by MasterChief or download the ACPIspec40.pdf from here.

Thanks... event I still confuse about it..

would you like post your benchmark with intelCPUManagement load and your LSPCI

it;s help me to learn your DSDT and compare with mine.

sorry asking you too much

thank's

When you ask for my LSPCI, what exactly are you asking for?

If you are referring to the output from the command lspci -nn then I posted that here.

As for AppleLPC.kext, mine is untouched and will be the same as yours in the /S/L/E (unless you have edited it).

An older benchmark of mine which I did after my original 10.6 build which used NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. (I will try and re-do a new one of these when I get a chance).

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/158452

A benchmark I have just done now on my latest system which includes Speedstep in DSDT. (There are differences, such as I am running 10.6.2 now and at the moment using the kernel in 64-bit mode).

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/193294

Joe2108,

You have to remove VoodooPState.kext from /S/L/E after making changes to DSDT.aml. Otherwise, you'll only get high frequencies when running pstatechanger. It happened to me.

Don't forget to also remove SleepEnabler.kext and NullAppleCpuPowerManagement.kext from /Extra/Extensions.

Blackosx,

About the red numbers mentioned in post #350, C-states can be the same for different processors?

I used your C-states and adapted P-states to my processor. Is it safe to do that? What do you think?

Joe2108,

You have to remove VoodooPState.kext from /S/L/E after making changes to DSDT.aml. Otherwise, you'll only get high frequencies when running pstatechanger. It happened to me.

Don't forget to also remove SleepEnabler.kext and NullAppleCpuPowerManagement.kext from /Extra/Extensions.

Solved !!! thanks !!

Sure.

Test it and compare with yours!

Download

Luck.

Regards.

Hi, friend.

I can see you overclocked your Q9550. Did you have to change your DSDT or you just changed bios configuration? And what about P-states you put in DSDT? Will they change for overclocked processors?

Hi, friend.

I can see you overclocked your Q9550. Did you have to change your DSDT or you just changed bios configuration? And what about P-states you put in DSDT? Will they change for overclocked processors?

No, my sign are outdated, i´m using now in stock clock. (2.8)

In this DSDT alll settings is for stock clock.

Sure for, if you want to overclock you need to apply new voltage / frequencies at new clock in DSDT.

Regards.

Hello everyone.. I am new to the dsdt scene. I have very little knowledge in editing dsdt.aml. I have made some changes to mine with some success. But I get confused when trying to apply the usb hacks. I get compile errors when I'm done. So I must be doing something wrong. I have attached my .dsl hoping one of you kind souls will look at it and help. I tried in another forum but no one responded. thanks again.

Blackosx,

I managed to build a solid OS X system with all the advice I found in your threads.

I use your dsdt.aml (with speedstep for my processor and power button HID/CID modification) and only the kexts your are using in /e/e, with ethernet and video injection via Chameleon rc3 build 658/PC Efi 10.5. My motherboard is a GA-EP45-UD3L.

One only thing is missing: automatic sleep. Manual sleep works, but I have to use the RIP script I found somewhere or the ForceSleep app to make the computer sleep after idle time selected in system preferences.

Any further advice?

Thanks in advance.

Blackosx,

About the red numbers mentioned in post #350, C-states can be the same for different processors?

I used your C-states and adapted P-states to my processor. Is it safe to do that? What do you think?

All I can say about C-States is what I wrote here. And then read the link in that post to FormerlyKnownAs' thread. That will take to you to my post where I ask about C-States. Read that and follow the conversation as it progressed to try and understand what I have learnt.

Blackosx,

I managed to build a solid OS X system with all the advice I found in your threads.

I use your dsdt.aml (with speedstep for my processor and power button HID/CID modification) and only the kexts your are using in /e/e, with ethernet and video injection via Chameleon rc3 build 658/PC Efi 10.5. My motherboard is a GA-EP45-UD3L.

Congratulations :D

One only thing is missing: automatic sleep. Manual sleep works, but I have to use the RIP script I found somewhere or the ForceSleep app to make the computer sleep after idle time selected in system preferences.

Any further advice?

Automatic sleep in Snow Leopard has always worked for me so there is nothing special I did to activate it.

Hello everyone.. I am new to the dsdt scene. I have very little knowledge in editing dsdt.aml. I have made some changes to mine with some success. But I get confused when trying to apply the usb hacks. I get compile errors when I'm done. So I must be doing something wrong. I have attached my .dsl hoping one of you kind souls will look at it and help. I tried in another forum but no one responded. thanks again.

Hi pet1

Your attached DSDT.dsl compiles without any errors here, so you haven't made any mistakes with it.

Don't worry if you can't understand DSDT straight away as it's a bit difficult to read to begin with. I suggest you start by following the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread where MasterChief takes you through changing USB devices. You will need to be prepared to spend some time learning how to read the code and how it all goes together.

None of us knew about DSDT at first, but it does start to become more friendly to the eyes after some time. I found it essential to download the ACPIspec PDF to help learn how it all works and you will need to know what chipset your motherboard uses. You motherboard is vastly different to the GA-EP45-DS3L that this thread is written for. For instance, yours has a G31 northbridge, ICH7 southbridge and the ALC662 audio codec.

So your best bet will be to read the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread thoroughly and if there is something you don't understand and can't find an answer already written then don't be afraid to ask. Someone there will help out :)

Thanx for replying and checking the dsdt.dsl blackosx. The above is the current one I'm using.. But I would also like to add the usb and power button fix. It's then when I get compile errors. I originally posted in the forum you mentioned but no one responded. You seem pretty well versed in this. Would you mind making the corrections I mentioned? I would appreciate that.. Thanx again.

Thanx for replying and checking the dsdt.dsl blackosx. The above is the current one I'm using.. But I would also like to add the usb and power button fix. It's then when I get compile errors. I originally posted in the forum you mentioned but no one responded. You seem pretty well versed in this. Would you mind making the corrections I mentioned? I would appreciate that.. Thanx again.

Hi pet1

I don't want to be rude, but you need to do this yourself or you will not learn. MasterChief shows you all you need for the USB fixes here. I followed the steps to make the amends to my DSDT, and so did everybody else. People will help you but they won't do the work for you. Take your time, make changes step by step and check it compiles everytime before you proceed to the next part.

I have 85 x dsdt.dsl files here which I have made with each containing different steps as I have cleaned/amended mine.

Hi pet1

I don't want to be rude, but you need to do this yourself or you will not learn. MasterChief shows you all you need for the USB fixes here. I followed the steps to make the amends to my DSDT, and so did everybody else. People will help you but they won't do the work for you. Take your time, make changes step by step and check it compiles everytime before you proceed to the next part.

I have 85 x dsdt.dsl files here which I have made with each containing different steps as I have cleaned/amended mine.

I've learned quite a lot in the past 5 years since the birth of os x.. You see my member number right? I think I'm like 3000. I've done quite a lot and have set up many many many osx86 machines.. But, I am stuck at setting up my dsdt for power button and usb. I read the link you suggested but am confused about what to change because the information you posted is for a different board. Honestly dude.. I'm just trying to get my machine polished off with some tweaks.. I don't really think this is a big deal dude.. I'm not asking for the revelation of christ.. I'm asking for a few changes in my dsdt... I've been around the scene for a along time.. I've already learned quite a lot and have helped out quite a few people already... I don't see the big deal in having someone make those changes in my dsdt... Again... anyone want to add usb and powerbutton fix to my dsdt? Thanx agian.

I have figured out and completed the fixes I just mentioned.. I didn't learn a thing... lol Just needed a push in the right direction... Actually I did learn something.. Don't depend on anyone but yourself...

I've learned quite a lot in the past 5 years since the birth of os x.. You see my member number right? I think I'm like 3000. I've done quite a lot and have set up many many many osx86 machines.. But, I am stuck at setting up my dsdt for power button and usb. I read the link you suggested but am confused about what to change because the information you posted is for a different board. Honestly dude.. I'm just trying to get my machine polished off with some tweaks.. I don't really think this is a big deal dude.. I'm not asking for the revelation of christ.. I'm asking for a few changes in my dsdt... I've been around the scene for a along time.. I've already learned quite a lot and have helped out quite a few people already... I don't see the big deal in having someone make those changes in my dsdt... Again... anyone want to add usb and powerbutton fix to my dsdt? Thanx agian.

I have figured out and completed the fixes I just mentioned.. I didn't learn a thing... lol Just needed a push in the right direction... Actually I did learn something.. Don't depend on anyone but yourself...

I see you have done it. Well done ;)

I did however have a go at adding the Power Button and USB changes to your DSDT, though I can't guarantee they'll work. I'll attach it here just in case you want to look at it.

Amended_dsdt.dsl.zip

As for earlier, I think you might have taken my comments the wrong way, though I did start with 'I don't want to be rude....'. I have seen your posts before on insanely and I am aware of your member number, which does earn you some respect. If I offended you then I apologise, but my perspective here is to help others (me included) to understand how to build our systems and learn what we are doing with our changes.

You'll appreciate this, as when the only way to install OS X was to use a distro. If anything went wrong, needed tweaking or a system update was available, then it was difficult to know what to do. But by understanding how to build our systems, as my guides, then we have an idea of how to fix it, or if anything needs tweaking then we will know how to do it. So, hopefully, you can understand why I took that angle with you as I do with everyone here.

Regards

:)

Thanx for looking at my dsdt and adding the power button. My power button edit isn't working for some reason. I'll try yours and look at the changes u made so I can try to digest it. I actually wasn't being snooty before. That's just the way I speak. lol I was just hoping that someone would have taken a look and possibly explained what they did.. Either way, thanx again..

Thanx for looking at my dsdt and adding the power button. My power button edit isn't working for some reason. I'll try yours and look at the changes u made so I can try to digest it. I actually wasn't being snooty before. That's just the way I speak. lol I was just hoping that someone would have taken a look and possibly explained what they did.. Either way, thanx again..

Okay. No probs :)

The amends I made to your DSDT were the power button fix you asked for, I applied this (as nicely described by jamonda). Then I have tried to apply the USB fixes from here.

But please bear in mind that as your motherboard is different to mine, I don't know if what I have done is correct or if it works.

Hi, Blackosx.

I found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...518&st=640# that you're using OSXRestart.kext and Disabler.kext.

Can I ask you why not Evoreboot.kext? And what is this Disabler.kext for?

I'm curious because my system is built on your threads experience and I don't know these kexts yet.

Thanks.

Hi jamonda

Psystars' OpenHaltRestart was needed for us to restart and shutdown our hacks, and EvoReboot was developed as a replacement which was great as nobody likes Psystar ;)

Anyway since the amazing progress with DSDT recently, MasterChief developed OSXRestart which allows our systems to restart without the need for OpenHaltRestart or EvoReboot. But there still remained the shutdown issue, where my machine would shutdown some times but not others.... But not any more! as mm67 has solved this problem and we can now shutdown our machines with a DSDT fix!. (More on that to come when I get a chance...)

The Disabler.kext I am running is just to block AppleUpstreamClient as it's the cause of Quicktime mouse lag that my machine suffers from due to my nVidia 8800GT. This fixes the issue for me. If you don't have mouse lag when playing music/video in iTunes or watching a movie on Quicktime then you don't need it.

Hi, Blackosx.

I found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...518&st=640# that you're using OSXRestart.kext and Disabler.kext.

Can I ask you why not Evoreboot.kext? And what is this Disabler.kext for?

I'm curious because my system is built on your threads experience and I don't know these kexts yet.

Thanks.

Jamonda, OSXRestart.kext is a new solution for Restart (rewritten) by Master Chief, it has no shutdown 'patch', but our goal is to use shutdown fix from DSDT. I think that like me, Nick are testing it for now..

Well, Disabler.kext is an kext wich is used to 'Disable' another kext, before NullCPUPM released, it have been used to block AppleCPUPM inits.

Also, Disabler is commen used for disable 'Mouse Lag' on QT/iTunes and leaving AppleCPUPM running free..

Regards.

Blackosx,

Thank you for the information. I'll read and try to learn what to do.

About mm67, I downloaded the DSDT.dsl he posted in the DSDT fixes for Gigabyte thread (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192518&st=740#) and I can say that I also found it amazing. Maybe we could try to write our DSDT.dsl files just as mm67 did. It would be easier for people like me to learn what each item (methods, names, packages, buffers, etc.) does and why they are necessary.

For instance, I want to add a firewire card to my motherboard and I don't know exactly what to do to avoid kernel panics at boot. Should I 'create' a device in the PCI0 section?

Blackosx,

Thank you for the information. I'll read and try to learn what to do.

About mm67, I downloaded the DSDT.dsl he posted in the DSDT fixes for Gigabyte thread (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192518&st=740#) and I can say that I also found it amazing. Maybe we could try to write our DSDT.dsl files just as mm67 did. It would be easier for people like me to learn what each item (methods, names, packages, buffers, etc.) does and why they are necessary.

For instance, I want to add a firewire card to my motherboard and I don't know exactly what to do to avoid kernel panics at boot. Should I 'create' a device in the PCI0 section?

Patience jamonda ;)

mm67 only showed his new DSDT last night.

With regards to using it, bear in mind that he is using the GA-EP45-UD3.

If you look a few posts later in the Gigabyte DSDT thread, you will see that mm67 posted his original DSDT acquired from acpidump in linux. Now I have compared that with my acpidump and there are only a few lines of code that differ, which means it nearly identical to what we need for us to use on our GA-EP45-DS3L. Though (I am typing this from memory) there was no HDEF audio in it and I think I saw wireless and firewire in there too?

So yes, we can also have our DSDT like mm67's too. But keep your eye on the Gigabyte DSDT thread as things might change/improve as time goes by. Remember that this is new :)

Patience jamonda ;)

If you look a few posts later in the Gigabyte DSDT thread, you will see that mm67 posted his original DSDT acquired from acpidump in linux. Now I have compared that with my acpidump and there are only a few lines of code that differ, which means it should be safe enough for us to use on our GA-EP45-DS3L. Though (I am typing this from memory) there was no HDEF audio in it and I think I saw wireless and firewire in there too?

So yes, we can also have our DSDT like mm67's too. But keep your eye on the Gigabyte DSDT thread as things might change/improve as time goes by. Remember that this is new :)

You can use my dsdt as a model but it was never meant to be used for anything else than my own board :) I just posted the dsdt that I was running at the moment when Keeza asked to see how my dsdt loks nowadays. I don't use wired LAN or onboard audio so those have no code on my dsdt. Wlan device should work if you happen to have a suitable Atheros based PCI card, otherwise you should just remove that code. Firewire code is already gone from dsdt, it didn't work.

Patience jamonda :)

If you look a few posts later in the Gigabyte DSDT thread, you will see that mm67 posted his original DSDT acquired from acpidump in linux. Now I have compared that with my acpidump and there are only a few lines of code that differ, which means it should be safe enough for us to use on our GA-EP45-DS3L. Though (I am typing this from memory) there was no HDEF audio in it and I think I saw wireless and firewire in it too?

I agree, as always, because you're saying it. :D

But I just meant that 'clean' files make learning easier (not just for lazy boys like me :P , but for people that knows a bit less about the subject).

Maybe because I'm a noob (I know I am), I found from the beginning that DSDT files can be generic for boards with the same main characteristics (northbridge and southbridge chipset, for instance), especially boards of the same manufacturer. I think I'm right to a certain extent, because I use your DSDT.aml (the last posted here) with minor modifications suggested by thiagomorales in a GA-EP45-UD3L system. And I could use an EP35 DSDT.aml with modifications suggested in your threads to build a Hackintosh with a GA-P35C-DS3R, which is as stable as my P45 one.

That's why I think that a generic commented DSDT.dsl, as cleans as mm67's and as commented as yours (or more commented ;) ), will help a lot of people.

You can use my dsdt as a model but it was never meant to be used for anything else than my own board :) I just posted the dsdt that I was running at the moment when Keeza asked to see how my dsdt loks nowadays. I don't use wired LAN or onboard audio so those have no code on my dsdt. Wlan device should work if you happen to have a suitable Atheros based PCI card, otherwise you should just remove that code. Firewire code is already gone from dsdt, it didn't work.

Thanks for the clarification mm67.

But out of interest, comparing your original GA-EP45-UD3 acpidump DSDT.dsl to my original GA-EP45-DS3L acpidump DSDT.dsl, I find there isn't much difference between them. I have attached the DIFF result here.

ACPIdump_DSDT_Differences.txt.zip