[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I've tried to install sl 10A432 on my gigabyte ep43-ds3l, ati 4300HD, E5200.

I had the NO HPETS error but i got passed it with some kext I've found HPETS something.

Now when my system loads up this is the screen i see after booting (screenshot attached)

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz103/a...19112009014.jpg

with the -v -x32 debug=0x100.

Pls help me :rolleyes:, i want to use the retail version,

Thx

post-521946-1258653552_thumb.jpg

Here's my current work in progress DSDT.dsl that I am using. It looks a bit different to previous as I have been working through MasterChief's DSDT v3.1, and I have been doing some testing.

Note: As always, this contains P-States for my CPU and you must change the data for your CPU.

Hi blackosx,

I took around in your DSDT which included P-state and C-state, Why I couldn't see your GFX part, USBfix in your DSDT?, or it's your partial DSDT is'nt it.

Thanks

Hi All,

I've tried to install sl 10A432 on my gigabyte ep43-ds3l, ati 4300HD, E5200.

I had the NO HPETS error but i got passed it with some kext I've found HPETS something.

Now when my system loads up this is the screen i see after booting (screenshot attached)

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz103/a...19112009014.jpg

with the -v -x32 debug=0x100.

Pls help me :), i want to use the retail version,

Thx

It might be an issue with your ATI Video card. Have a read of this page on Netkas' site to see if it helps.

I took around in your DSDT which included P-state and C-state, Why I couldn't see your GFX part, USBfix in your DSDT?, or it's your partial DSDT is'nt it.

It's a full DSDT that I used then.

I haven't included my GFX in that DSDT. Instead I use the bootloaders 'GraphicsEnabler=Y' option to inject my video at boot (have a read about it in the documentation in the Chameleon forums).

All my USB is in there, but it has been renamed UHC. You need to read the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread to learn how to change all that. That was the first round of changes that MasterChief discussed.

P-State guide...

FormerlyKnownAs has re-written the front page of his vanilla speedstep thread to help anyone get their heads around P-States etc.. It's the best pace to learn about what you need for Speedstep. So read his post to find out everyhing as he knows a lot more than me.

But to help you follow it, I have outlined the steps here.

Yet another clear, concise and utterly helpful guide. Geekbench scores up by 10% since setting P-states. Still, I only see it use the highest and lowest states in VoodooMonitor (Q9550, 6 states)

Thanks, yet again.

Yet another clear, concise and utterly helpful guide. Geekbench scores up by 10% since setting P-states. Still, I only see it use the highest and lowest states in VoodooMonitor (Q9550, 6 states)

Thanks, yet again.

Well done :D

You will see VoodooMonitor report mostly the lowest & highest P-States. But you should also see the other Multipliers/Voltages being used too, but your system might only step to them for a short while. Mine happily shows all 5 of my P-state depending on what I am doing.

Hi Blackosx :D

Haven't been here for a while. Thank you for giving comments and suggestions related to better DSDT :)

Very nice and well explained P & C states guide, again :) I used it to review and correct my P & C states. Works perfectly with my hardware.

P-State guide...

FormerlyKnownAs has re-written the front page of his vanilla speedstep thread to help anyone get their heads around P-States etc.. It's the best pace to learn about what you need for Speedstep. So read his post to find out everyhing as he knows a lot more than me.

This is supposed to be an aid to get you started with Speedstep and not an attempt to start a whole new wave of posts here about why, how etc. I still recommend you use FormerlyKnownAs' guide and thread for Speedstep and any major questions should still be directed there as more experienced users there will be able to help out.

blackosx,

Thank you for the excellent step-by-step implementation guide on speedstep. I will go through it one more time before patching my DSDT. Will report results once completed.

For easy reference, is it possible to put your excellent guide in separate pdf file.

Thanks again and have a nice day.

P-State guide...

This is supposed to be an aid to get you started with Speedstep and not an attempt to start a whole new wave of posts here about why, how etc. I still recommend you use FormerlyKnownAs' guide and thread for Speedstep and any major questions should still be directed there as more experienced users there will be able to help out.

Scope (_PR.CPU0) // For Core 0, set P-states & C-States

{

Method (_PSS, 0, NotSerialized) // P-states

{

Return (Package(0x05) // this reads 0x05 because I have 5 x P-states. This number should match you total P-states.

{

Package (0x06) { 2670, 0, 10, 10, 0x0A1D, 0 }, // These values are shown in PStateChanger. To see them

Package (0x06) { 2403, 0, 10, 10, 0x091D, 1 }, // on your system, you will need to install the

Package (0x06) { 2136, 0, 10, 10, 0x081C, 2 }, // VoodooPState.kext by bcc9, in to /S/L/E by dragging

Package (0x06) { 1869, 0, 10, 10, 0x071B, 3 }, // it on to Kext Utility's icon. Once installed, restart.

Package (0x06) { 1602, 0, 10, 10, 0x061A, 4 } // Then load PStateChanger to view the results.

})

}

// Added from MasterChief's DSDT v3.1

Method (_PSD, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (Package (0x05)

{

0x05,

0x00,

0x00,

0xFC, // Double-checked the 0xFC value with ACPISpec v4.0 pdf

0x02 // Number of Processors - Again if you have a Quad core CPU then this value should read 0x04

})

}

Method (_CST, 0, NotSerialized) // C-states

{

Return (Package (0x04)

{

0x03,

Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x000)},1,1,1000},

Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (SystemIO, 8, 0, 0x414)},2,1,500},

Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (SystemIO, 8, 0, 0x415)},3,17,250}

})

}

}

I have a question regarding the number of C-states in above reference.

Under

{

Return (Package (0x04)

Does this mean there are only 4 C-states whereas there are 5 P-states?

How to find out the total number of C-states?

Thanks

I have a question regarding the number of C-states in above reference.

Under

{

Return (Package (0x04)

Does this mean there are only 4 C-states whereas there are 5 P-states?

How to find out the total number of C-states?

Thanks

The Return (Package (0x04) means there are 4 sets of data to return.

1 = 0x03

2 = Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x000)},1,1,1000}

3 = Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (SystemIO, 8, 0, 0x414)},2,1,500}

4 = Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (SystemIO, 8, 0, 0x415)},3,17,250}

C-States are completely different to P-States and to know how many your CPU supports is whole lot of research!

Like I said, any major questions should be aimed at FormerlyKnownAs' thread. But first you need to read that thread as there is a lot on information already there that I don't want to repeat here. You can also have a read about C-States here and here.

I went off on a journey when I tried to find out and I ended up posting at FormerlyKnownAs' thread about it . So have a read of what I posted and follow the answers through and hopefully you'll see why I have ended up with the values I have. Also, from watching VoodooMonitor when idling, the CPU voltage drops below my lowest P-State to only one reading which I believe to be the 1st Idle (C-State). So are the other 2 idle states being used? I don't know......

EDIT: I have remembered about some of my BIOS settings I enabled. I have added a screenshot in the previous SpeedStep instructions post.

The Return (Package (0x04) means there are 4 sets of data to return.

1 = 0x03

2 = Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x000)},1,1,1000}

3 = Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (SystemIO, 8, 0, 0x414)},2,1,500}

4 = Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (SystemIO, 8, 0, 0x415)},3,17,250}

C-States are completely different to P-States and to know how many your CPU supports is whole lot of research!

Like I said, any major questions should be aimed at FormerlyKnownAs' thread. But first you need to read that thread as there is a lot on information already there that I don't want to repeat here. You can also have a read about C-States here and here.

I went off on a journey when I tried to find out and I ended up posting at FormerlyKnownAs' thread about it . So have a read of what I posted and follow the answers through and hopefully you'll see why I have ended up with the values I have. Also, from watching VoodooMonitor when idling, the CPU voltage drops below my lowest P-State to only one reading which I believe to be the 1st Idle (C-State). So are the other 2 idle states being used? I don't know......

EDIT: I have remembered about some of my BIOS settings I enabled. I have added a screenshot in the previous SpeedStep instructions post.

TQ for your prompt reply, advise and patient.

I will do as you recommended.

Thanks again for your understanding.

Hi blackosx,

I would like to report my DSDT w/ Vanilla SpeedStep+GFX+SATAfix+USBfix+HDEF+CMOSreset along your guide as results below:-

1) No Need NullCPUPowermanagement.kext and SleepEnable.Kext any more I have tested on SL 10.6 the Auto Sleep is OK, Waking up by Mouse/Keboard are OK, and Manual Sleep can Waking up only by press PW button. ( but 10.5 Auto Sleep and waking by mouse and Keyboard, Manual Sleep same with the previous time couldn't work )

2) In my IORegistryExplorer was not shown the CST info like yours, I didn't understand here pic as attachment.

3)Fixing Error at boot as below:

SMCACPI_SMC_PLATFOMPLUGIN:: START_waitingforservice(resourceMatching(appleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

My question in item2 How to do?

But anyway I would try to find out all rest issue later.

Many thanks

post-435680-1258832296_thumb.png

Hi blackosx,

I would like to report my DSDT w/ Vanilla SpeedStep+GFX+SATAfix+USBfix+HDEF+CMOSreset along your guide as results below:-

1) No Need NullCPUPowermanagement.kext and SleepEnable.Kext any more I have tested on SL 10.6 the Auto Sleep is OK, Waking up by Mouse/Keboard are OK, and Manual Sleep can Waking up only by press PW button. ( but 10.5 Auto Sleep and waking by mouse and Keyboard, Manual Sleep same with the previous time couldn't work )

2) In my IORegistryExplorer was not shown the CST info like yours, I didn't understand here pic as attachment.

3)Fixing Error at boot as below:

SMCACPI_SMC_PLATFOMPLUGIN:: START_waitingforservice(resourceMatching(appleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

My question in item2 How to do?

But anyway I would try to find out all rest issue later.

Many thanks

Well done TEPP..

All I can tell you is what I have done for my system and you're right, the CSTinfo doesn't show in your IORegistryExplorer. Maybe double check your _CST entries your DSDT to make sure there's no obvious errors. If you can't see anything wrong then maybe have a read of FormerlyKnownAs' thread to find an answer?

For sleep. maybe there's a subtle difference between our motherboards. Have you applied the USB fixes by MasterChief from the Gigabtye DSDT fix thread?

Well done TEPP..

All I can tell you is what I have done for my system and you're right, the CSTinfo doesn't show in your IORegistryExplorer. Maybe double check your _CST entries your DSDT to make sure there's no obvious errors. If you can't see anything wrong then maybe have a read of FormerlyKnownAs' thread to find an answer?

Remember the LPC, this is an ICH10R board.

Remember the LPC, this is an ICH10R board.

You are right, I miss understand.

Thank you

Hi mm67. Thanks for chipping in and you did say this would happen ;)

I will update my P-State post to emphasise this point for anyone with a different mobo to the GA-EP45-DS3L

You are right also, I forgot to add a Device ID for PX40 (LPCB)

Thank you

post-435680-1258975509_thumb.png

TEPP: Can you please upload your dsdt file to any webserver (rapidshare etc.). I have the "same" MB (P45-UD3LR) and i have problem with define LPCB. Thanx for your help.

I can tell you after I added some part of Device ID of (PX40) due to our Mobo is UD3R (ICH10R) which is 3a16 with part as below:

Device (PX40)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}

OperationRegion (PREV, PCI_Config, 0x08, One)
			Scope (\)
			{
				Field (\_SB.PCI0.PX40.PREV, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
					REV0,   8
				}
			}

OperationRegion (PIRQ, PCI_Config, 0x60, 0x04)
			Scope (\)
			{
// remainder removed

I will get AppleLPC and ICST info was displayed in IOReg but Manual Sleep gone, so I switch to get out above part and then my Manual Sleep come again.

My Opinion at this moment I prefer to use only P-State, it can make my system run without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext, but for Auto/Manual Sleep are OK for me is better because our goal is make our pc as close as real mac as possible.

You can read more at : FormerlyKnownAS's Thread

See my current DSDT as attachment:

DSDT_PX40_V1.1.dsl.zip

I have uploaded my latest DSDT (281109) to the front page for reference.

Note: it's a work in progress based on MasterChief's DSDT v3.2, with code removed and comments added to aid my learning. I have reverted back to using native ICH10 device-id in Device (SATA). And you will need to add the OrangeIconFix.kext in /E/E. It's from THe KiNG, but I have added an IOProbeScore key to help it load without an extensions.mkext. I have added a link to this on the front page with the DSDT.

As always, it contains info for my CPU and you will need to amend this to match your CPU.

Hi.

What is the difference between OrangeIconFix.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and the DSDT AHCI fix?

Why have you decided to revert back to using native ICH10 device-id in Device? What are the advantages? Does this mean you don’t use IOAHCI kext in /E/E nor DSDT sata fix?

Thanks again.

Hi.

What is the difference between OrangeIconFix.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and the DSDT AHCI fix?

Why have you decided to revert back to using native ICH10 device-id in Device? What are the advantages? Does this mean you don’t use IOAHCI kext in /E/E nor DSDT sata fix?

Thanks again.

See my recent post on the 10.6 thread.

When I first put my guide together, the system used the native ICH10 SATA which is on our motherboard. When I was trying to improve my install with the outlook of reducing the number of kexts I was using in /E/E, I learned about a fix which allowed me to remove IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from /E/E which sounded great, so I applied the SATA fix to DSDT (which I added to my DSDT guide v1.4). This fix however turned out to be the wrong thing for our motherboard as it tricked the OS in to thinking we had an ICH8 southbridge.

But I have now learned to understand why this was the wrong thing to do. So I have changed the DSDT to read ICH10 as it should be, and also the latest Mac's use ICH10. One of the extra things that ICH10 supports is SATA hot-plug which allows you to eject and remove a hard drive (you will see the eject icon against volumes in the sidebar of Finder windows). Now Apple haven't include this feature in to OS X yet (maybe a design reason as their cases don't allow for connecting an external SATA drive) so the OS recognises the HD's as external, and therefore it draw's Orange icons and this is where we need a fix. I used to use IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from Chameleon, but I have since come across THe KiNG's OrangeIconFix.kext which I am using now.

I have asked THe KiNG what the difference between OrangeIconFix.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is, and am waiting a reply. I asked in advance of my post here as I knew somebody would ask me :)

On a sidenote, Stickpin is trying to find a way to disable the hot-plug feature on a per port basis. So we could have it turned off for our system & data drives connected to say SATA ports 1-4 and have it turned on for our eSATA port for connecting and external SATA drive?

See my recent post on the 10.6 thread.

When I first put my guide together, the system used the native ICH10 SATA which is on our motherboard. When I was trying to improve my install with the outlook of reducing the number of kexts I was using in /E/E, I learned about a fix which allowed me to remove IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from /E/E which sounded great, so I applied the SATA fix to DSDT (which I added to my DSDT guide v1.4). This fix however turned out to be the wrong thing for our motherboard as it tricked the OS in to thinking we had an ICH8 southbridge.

But I have now learned to understand why this was the wrong thing to do. So I have changed the DSDT to read ICH10 as it should be, and also the latest Mac's use ICH10. One of the extra things that ICH10 supports is SATA hot-plug which allows you to eject and remove a hard drive (you will see the eject icon against volumes in the sidebar of Finder windows). Now Apple haven't include this feature in to OS X yet (maybe a design reason as their cases don't allow for connecting an external SATA drive) so the OS recognises the HD's as external, and therefore it draw's Orange icons and this is where we need a fix. I used to use IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from Chameleon, but I have since come across THe KiNG's OrangeIconFix.kext which I am using now.

I have asked THe KiNG what the difference between OrangeIconFix.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is, and am waiting a reply. I asked in advance of my post here as I knew somebody would ask me :thumbsup_anim:

On a sidenote, Stickpin is trying to find a way to disable the hot-plug feature on a per port basis. So we could have it turned off for our system & data drives connected to say SATA ports 1-4 and have it turned on for our eSATA port for connecting and external SATA drive?

I understand. So I'll exclude the DSDT fix and put the OrangeIconFix kext in /E/E.

If you think this is the best thing to do, off course it is.

This will be enough for the system to see ICH10 again, won't it?

Thanks.

which on pstate different betwen pstate changer & voodoomonitor

screenshot20091129at730.png

SBlackOSX can you check my DSDT...

with current DSDT, sleep & wake up Works ! thank for you.

but i want to know about sbus or something missing on my DSDT like yours.

thank before. sorry my poor english.

EP45-UD3L

C2D e7500 2930 mhz

when AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext load geekbench score just 2512

if AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext donot load geekbench score 4500

seems PState just 50% load..???

dsdt.dsl.ep45ud3lf8a.zip