Ghosting OSX 10.4.X

osxgus

20 posts in this topic

I am now happy with my setup, after fixing lots of kexts and adding little files for my system to run smooth.

I would be happy if I could "ghost" my osx partition, so I could remove it completely, increase the partition size (from 12gb to 25-30gb at least!), and then re-apply the ghostimage, without spending hours installing everything again and fiddeling with kexts etc.

Question 1. Is there a unibin prog to even do this? Did one exist for PPC even?

Question 2. If so, has anyone tried it? Please post if you have any experience with ghosting / backing up the osx partition and then re-applying it.

:rolleyes:

Another Question would be if it's possible to use that nice looking bootcamp menu when the pc starts, instead of the 80's boot.ini start menu?

Cheers!

;)

osxG

whatever method that will let me save the patched osx system so i can restore it when i have expanded the partition.

since i can't expand the partition whilst osx is on there without screwing it up..

any help with ths is v. appreciated.

cheers

:happymac:

osxG

@osxgus: As you are running on a dell, you can simply use Norton Ghost. It will backup your MacOSX partition (without knowing what filesystem it has, no prob) an let you restore the partition onto a bigger one. Maybe you will have to do a fast install (everything disabled but base-system) of MacOSX to get the bootloader on your hd, but having that finished and the install working, you can put your backup onto the partition.

I did a complete clone of my osx86 partition the other day (to transfer it to my newer bigger hard drive setup with 3 partitions and triple booting Ubuntu, XP, X86)

I tried three native OS X programs to do so.... Super Duper....Carbon Copy Cloner and NetRestore Helper....

Carbon Copy Cloner gave me the best results with a flawless copy, even if it's PPC application it did a working clone of my system to the new partition. I had some bootloader issues after....but everything' good now.

By the way for those who also have a Windows XP installation to clone as well...I also did it from my OSX86 system using the latest version of NetRestore Helper to create the Disk Image and NetRestore to restore it to another partition....

Carbon Copy Cloner and NR - NRH are available on Mike Bombich's web site

P.S. more than one drive is required, so 2 internal or an external USB2 or Firewire drive....

• 1 month later...

So here's my report: Both Win-Apps, Ghost and TrueImage, do their job. Acronis is faster (20 instead 30 minutes for backing up). Also when doubleclicking the backup TI instantly gives me the choice to recover from that image. Ghost instead opens the Ghost Explorer but cannot explore the HFS-image. However, one Ghost test image was about 8% smaller than the one from TI. With another testrun the Acronis image was 1% smaller.

What is really important to do before backing up is: in Mac OS open Disk Utility, choose the drive you want to backup, click onto the button 'Erase', check 'Erase free space', leave first option 'zero ...', click OK. Otherwise the archives from Ghost and TI become bigger than they need to be ..

When backing up: in either of the two apps go into advanced options when you are clicking through the backup routine and check "highest compression".

On restore: what does NOT work with either win apps is decreasing the target partition in size :( .. So what I will do next is connect am external drive to my comp, provide a big enough partition on it, lauch Disk Utility from one of my many ( :king: ) Mac OS x86 install DVDs, HFS format that partiton and create an image of my x86 installation to that partiton (because the start up DVD does not launch a write DOSFS driver so my shared FAT32 partition was of no use .. ).

CarbonCopy Cloner also demanded a second HD, so since I will have to use the startup disk with Disk Utility anyway I will now first give Apple's very own DU a try, maybe I do not need CCC @ all in order to make my partiton smaller than it is now.

PS: man we really need iPartiton to work very soon, I'd even buy that app, all of this is just unnerving .. :\

I did a little bit of Radmind back in the day (slow, but worked great for imaging macs), but I honestly have no idea what means you might have to accomplish anything with it.
I am sorry but I cannot fathom at all what you are talking about .. :withstupid:

• 3 weeks later...

I was also messing around with this at first Carbon Copy Cloner would only let me boot it when I inserted the Mac OS X install dvd Acronis OS Selector didnt worked.. So I tried RSync X same result as CCC... SO I used Apples own (how could I miss it) Disk Utilty. Made a disc image of my old Mac HD and then I used the restore function in Disk Utilty to put the image on my new larger harddisk... And using Acronis OS Selector it booted up just fine. I just wanted to share that maybe it will come in handy..

I was also messing around with this at first Carbon Copy Cloner would only let me boot it when I inserted the Mac OS X install dvd Acronis OS Selector didnt worked.. So I tried RSync X same result as CCC... SO I used Apples own (how could I miss it) Disk Utilty. Made a disc image of my old Mac HD and then I used the restore function in Disk Utilty to put the image on my new larger harddisk... And using Acronis OS Selector it booted up just fine. I just wanted to share that maybe it will come in handy..
Yeah, good to know, thanks for sharing, went right into my KB ;)Question: Does Acronis OS Selector allow booting Mac OS x86 from a partiton on ann external USB drive? (the Darwin Bootloader via chain0 doen't)

Yeah, good to know, thanks for sharing, went right into my KB :PQuestion: Does Acronis OS Selector allow booting Mac OS x86 from a partiton on ann external USB drive? (the Darwin Bootloader via chain0 doen't)

I think it does. Their site states that you can boot from any harddisk so I think also externals ones are meant.. I cant try it however because I dont own one... I would just give it a shot you have nothing to lose Ayy :D

hm when I get my new 2.5" 5.400 160 GB SATA HD + external USB 2.0/ FW 800 casing I will try and brand ABL on there - right now it sounds too risky for me to mess with my notebook's working HD with 5 partitions and 4 OSes.. :blink: