Is this legal?

21 posts in this topic

Hello, I am relatively new to this community, however I have been using iatkos for some time and can successfully install it on many machines, and set up the dual boot capability. (just like all of you) however I got to thinking. If i told you (assuming your the average person) that i could legally install mac osx on the pc you already have and still use windows for 200 dollars wouldn't you say yes?? 200 is a lot, however 1500 for an "ok" macbook pro is much more expensive. I think this could make a lot of money very quick, even if i had say 2 appointments a day thats 400 dollars.

Last night I got a domain and am going to start creating the site tonight. I want to know if this is in anyway legal and what are the odds of getting in troule here>> thanks

Hello, I am relatively new to this community, however I have been using iatkos for some time and can successfully install it on many machines, and set up the dual boot capability. (just like all of you) however I got to thinking. If i told you (assuming your the average person) that i could legally install mac osx on the pc you already have and still use windows for 200 dollars wouldn't you say yes?? 200 is a lot, however 1500 for an "ok" macbook pro is much more expensive. I think this could make a lot of money very quick, even if i had say 2 appointments a day thats 400 dollars.

Last night I got the domain appleconversion.com and am going to start creating the site tonight. I want to know if this is in anyway legal and what are the odds of getting in troule here>> thanks

OSx86 violates the EULA. Haven't you heard of Psystar?

psystar just won a little battle in court though, plus this isnt a big corporation or anything, im a local guy in an undisclosed location :)

Oh well its most likely illegal but that really isnt a problem in my view

oh :/

but you can see the difference here, im not selling a product persay, im not a licensed company, im just going to go around my city doing installs here and there. I was just wanting the backing of it maybe being legal so i can sleep better at night.

maybe im just being 18 and trying to get a lot of money quickly and its a bad idea. well see either ill be in jail soon, or rich lol

Technically, it is not legal, but same to those who downloaded windows xps and I don't think we have heard any lawsuit cases against people who installed pirated windows xp in their private machines. So the moral here is... as long as you are not trying to squeeze money out of the OSX86, you will be fine as far as having Apple going after ur tail is concerned.

And why would some say no to $200 to get osx installed? Some just don't have the time resources to trouble shoot when issues arise. When time=money, there could be cases where u might as well just pay the bills instead of wasting time. Unless you can give all of ur customers very good technical support on ur own (putting the legality aside) Then there is this ethical conscience toward pirated stuff.. meh..

your right there will be those people and thats completly fine. But im counting on the people that

1. Have issues with apple for whatever reason, see this as sticking it too them

2. People that plain just want OSX and cant afford a full out mac

i like the idea because in about an hour and a half i can complete the process. 2 a day (2 is not very much at all) 5 days a week is 2000 bucks thats 96,000 a year. will that huge figure happen, most def not, will i make some decent money though, prolly

ps if psystar is bankrupt why do see their adds at the top of the screen as im typing this>>

advertising there open computers still

Bankrupt does not mean shutting down the business. And as of today, they are still in the game of going against Apple's lawsuit.

Like we can stop you from doing this for money, but to be honest, it isn't very fair to the OSX86 community where a lot of developers like Netkas put a lot of times into making things work for us to enjoy and have no thought of making a dime out of it.

You could use retail discs (make clients buy retail). To all the developers on OSx86 (and others)...? Make some decent donations? :D hmm.

What about when the updates go sideways (and they will)? Are you going to charge for those calls to? Clients won't like it.

Khan

your right there will be those people and thats completly fine. But im counting on the people that

1. Have issues with apple for whatever reason, see this as sticking it too them

2. People that plain just want OSX and cant afford a full out mac

i like the idea because in about an hour and a half i can complete the process. 2 a day (2 is not very much at all) 5 days a week is 2000 bucks thats 96,000 a year. will that huge figure happen, most def not, will i make some decent money though, prolly

The person described in 1 would probably figure out how to it themselves and find this forum. No one is going to pay you 200 dollars to "stick it to apple."

Plus 2 a day 5 days a week? As big as this community is, almost nobody outside of it knows it exists. So you would have to advertise somehow. People close to apple could get hold of the ad or if I saw it I'd more then likely call apple and report. You're trying to sell other peoples work and methods that are FREE to try and make a quick

buck.

ps if my sentances seem out of wack, I've been up for 36 hours :(

The person described in 1 would probably figure out how to it themselves and find this forum. No one is going to pay you 200 dollars to "stick it to apple."

Plus 2 a day 5 days a week? As big as this community is, almost nobody outside of it knows it exists. So you would have to advertise somehow. People close to apple could get hold of the ad or if I saw it I'd more then likely call apple and report. You're trying to sell other peoples work and methods that are FREE to try and make a quick

buck.

ps if my sentances seem out of wack, I've been up for 36 hours :angel:

you make some almost good points, but i think its bedtime because they don't make sense. First of all, just because they haven't heard of iatkos, osx86 any of that, doesn't mean when they see the possibility they won't be intrigued. Some people may know of the possibilty but are not skilled enough or are too scared to try.

I am advertising on craigs list, and therefore the risk of being reported is highly unlikely, I am creating a website, that will explain everything.

However the most rediculous thing you said was that noone will pay the 200 to do it. cmon dude, i dont even need to explain how that isnt the case, i already have three people interested and ive been advertising for 3 days now.

I will not charge them for if something goes wrong with their osx, i will not charge them if soe of the features do not work and they dont want the install. Unless they are completly satified i wont get a dime, just as the site says.