iMac G3 upgraging

8 posts in this topic

hello all,

i have an iMac G3 400 DV at home and i want to upgrade it. So i have 2 questions:

- is the G3 400 mhz processor the same as the (for example) g3 450 mhz processor, but with other jumper settings? Because if that's the same processor, i can overclock it

- fits pc2700 memory in the iMac G3 (i have a piece of pc2700 memory at home)

thanks

Actually Rob, that's not true - we're a forum for everything dealing with Macs. Intel or PPC, we don't discriminate. :)

I'm not qualified to answer the question about the G3 but I'm sure there are several here who are! (I would guess that the processors are the same - don't know about the memory)

you can search google to find the answer

as i have imac dv 400 and already overclock to 500 without problem.

just follow the instruction you can be the same one.

and imac dv use sd100 ram rather than ddr333, they are different so that you can't use it.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys

I've got a 350Mhz G3 iMac for just a few bucks. And it was fun to give it a new chance to live and a new home.

The first thing I did was to change the gren/red LED from the power button for a cool white one like newer models have.

Then I upgraded the firmware, a 20Gb HDD, and 256Mb of ram to get Tiger run on it.

Now I want to overclock, and there is a good link with the resistor configurations to get it done, I think i'll move from 350 to 450Mhz.

http://www.macbidouille.com/articles/28/page1

This link is in french, but is the best i found.

In my next weekend project, I want to replace the damaged slot-load cd rom with a cool-cheap generic try-load IDE DVD burner, adapted to fit the intenal connectors and disguised as the original one.

Regards.

Crown Delorean

1.83Ghz Intel iMac , 350Mhz G3 iMac, Core2Duo Hackintosh Pro