[How To] GMX iDisk (1 GB FREE space)

~Neo

32 posts in this topic

Hey there!

I found this in the net and thought it would be cool to write it here:

First make a gmx-account (http://www.gmx.net/)

It is german, but you can use any webserver with WebDAV!

1. Goto the Terminal and type in: "sudo cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.old" (it makes a backup of your old hosts)

2. then: "sudo vi /etc/hosts"

3. goto the last letter und type "o" (it makes a new line)

4. write: "213.165.64.3 *tab* idisk.mac.com"

5. press ESC and type ":x" then press enter.

Now your hosts-file is changed!

6. Reboot and goto the system preferences of the .mac and type your Usernumber (you can see it in your gmx-settings) and the password. (there could be an error; ignore this!)

7. Last make a folder on your gmx-mediacenter with your Usernumber as name of the folder.

Then restart again and your "iDisk" is in the Finder... Click on it and see ;)

If you like to use another server then ping the address of the space and use this IP in step 4!

If you want to use .mac then goto terminal and type in: "sudo mv /etc/hosts.old /etc/hosts"

Update:

Warning be carefull! Check after doing that if the folder "users" is in the NetInfo Manager!!! If not, DON'T save the changes!

If the other part of the tut didn't work try this:

Goto "NetInfo Manager" (its in programs/utilities)

login as root

click on "New"

make a new property (in german: Verzeichnisse/Neue Eigenschaft)

rename the new property to "ip address" and at value type the ip address (213.165.64.3)

at the property "name" type at value: "idisk.mac.com"

close the NetInfo Manager and restart!

Don't forget to check, if "users" is there!!!!

Update 2:

Thanks to p1raat for this alternative method to mount the WebDAV server:

When you are in the finder, click command-K and enter https://mediacenter.gmx.net/.

You'll be presented with the login screen. Enter your credentials and you're in!

Please write a feedback!

Thank you...

Hey there!

...Explanation how to set it all up...

Hi,

Unfortunately it does not work. I keep getting an error 'volume cannot be found for iDisk'.

I'm able to connect to the GMX drive when using the 'connect to server' option in finder with the address https://mediacenter.gmx.net/ and my credentials.

Any suggestions?

ps: when I ping idisk.mac.com I ping to the ip address set in the hosts file. So at least that's working.

Hi,

Unfortunately it does not work. I keep getting an error 'volume cannot be found for iDisk'.

I'm able to connect to the GMX drive when using the 'connect to server' option in finder with the address https://mediacenter.gmx.net/ and my credentials.

Any suggestions?

ps: when I ping idisk.mac.com I ping to the ip address set in the hosts file. So at least that's working.

Hm...

ok try this:

login as root

click on "New"

make a new property (in german: Verzeichnisse/neue Eigenschaft)

rename the new property to "ip address" and at value type the ip address (213.165.64.3)

It should work now! Try it....

It works! I end up in the folder with my number (and that's quite a bummer as I've already set up all my files in the other folders.)

It did turn up a strange name though. The property is called 'dir:94' but hey, it works.

It works! I end up in the folder with my number (and that's quite a bummer as I've already set up all my files in the other folders.)

It did turn up a strange name though. The property is called 'dir:94' but hey, it works.

OK! I'm pleased to help you! I updated the first post! Thanks for the feedback. :D

This great deal if I can figure out the last step: I keep getting invalid username/password from .mac preferences.

The host file is correct, ping idisk.mac.com leads to 213.165.64.3, I also updated netinfo manager just in case. I don't undertand german, so I'm not totally sure I have the GMX account setup right.

I made a folder with my user number off the root (above Gelöschte Dateien); it's the first folder listed under "GMX MediaCenter" -- is this the right place?

Any other reason why I'd get wrong username/pw error from .mac preferences?

The GMX site seems to want to verify my address, no matter what I put in (even valid german name/addresses), maybe that's my problem? If so, any work-around? I definitely can't verify an address over there.

Thanks for any help--

This great deal if I can figure out the last step: I keep getting invalid username/password from .mac preferences.

The host file is correct, ping idisk.mac.com leads to 213.165.64.3, I also updated netinfo manager just in case. I don't undertand german, so I'm not totally sure I have the GMX account setup right.

I made a folder with my user number off the root (above Gelöschte Dateien); it's the first folder listed under "GMX MediaCenter" -- is this the right place?

Any other reason why I'd get wrong username/pw error from .mac preferences?

The GMX site seems to want to verify my address, no matter what I put in (even valid german name/addresses), maybe that's my problem? If so, any work-around? I definitely can't verify an address over there.

Thanks for any help--

Hi!

The error in the preferences is OK! Just close system preferences after you entered.

You can see your user number after the login! Kundennummer: xxxxxxxx. Its like this: 12345678

If you did this, then try to go to the Finder and click on "iDisk" (at the sidebar)...

The problem with your address: ignore this too! There is a button: "Adresse übernehmen" click on it! You just need a right address for a non-free service!

Good luck!

MMh... didn't find a way to subscribe from France... it seems to be only for austria, germany and switzerland, am i wrong??

ahm...

You don't need a real address! Write any address and click "Adresse übernehmen"

This is only for products which cost money!

Something I don't see mentioned here is the original way to connect to the WebDav server.

When you are in the finder, click command-K and enter https://mediacenter.gmx.net/.

You'll be presented with the login screen. Enter your credentials and you're in!

The method discribed above is a way to speed up this process. If the manual way doesn't work the replacement for iDisk sure won't.

Something I don't see mentioned here is the original way to connect to the WebDav server.

The method discribed above is a way to speed up this process. If the manual way doesn't work the replacement for iDisk sure won't.

Yeah... but i think an iDisk is nicer than to mount the WebDAV server! But hey! I write it in the the first post! :) An alternative...

Thanks!

It works...only thing is the gmx ppl say that my acct will be closed in 14 days because I don't have a real address.

I don't have a real address in gmx too but they didn't send me any message that my address is not correct!

Humm.... just try it an see what's going on after the two weeks!

Also, by mistake I dragged the iDisk icon out of the Finder bar, and I don't know how to get it back. Any ideas?

Yep,

goto system preferences > .mac > delete your user data > close system preferences > goto the preference of .mac again and write in your data!

I tried this and it worked... :(

I'm getting "The volume for iDisk cannot be found" when clicking the iDisk icon in Finder.

I've logged in fine into http://mediacenter.gmx.net using the username "Takuro@gmx.net." However, when I enter my usernumber 33013254 and password into the .Mac section of System Preferences, I get an invalid password error.

"at the property "name" type at value: "idisk.mac.com" "

I don't see a property called "name" o_O

I'm getting "The volume for iDisk cannot be found" when clicking the iDisk icon in Finder.

I've logged in fine into http://mediacenter.gmx.net using the username "Takuro@gmx.net." However, when I enter my usernumber 33013254 and password into the .Mac section of System Preferences, I get an invalid password error.

"at the property "name" type at value: "idisk.mac.com" "

I don't see a property called "name" o_O

Sure.... in the lower half of the NetInfo Manager is the property!

There must be 2 properties after makeing a new... The first is "name"! And the second is "ip address", after you've renamed it!

I think this is the error....

Ok thanks. I managed to get it to work.

So this is basically a mounted storage server that looks like iDisk? You can't sync system preferences and stuff like with the real iDisk?

EDIT: Ok I tried backtracking to get rid of the "iDisk" server all-together. I replaced the hosts file with hosts.old. My ping for idisk.mac.com now goes to the original imac site. However, the iMac icon is still present in my side bar. How do I get rid of it?

According to the "volumes" folder, no iDisk is even mounted...

Ok thanks. I managed to get it to work.

So this is basically a mounted storage server that looks like iDisk? You can't sync system preferences and stuff like with the real iDisk?

EDIT: Ok I tried backtracking to get rid of the "iDisk" server all-together. I replaced the hosts file with hosts.old. My ping for idisk.mac.com now goes to the original imac site. However, the iMac icon is still present in my side bar. How do I get rid of it?

According to the "volumes" folder, no iDisk is even mounted...

Hm K!

Just go to the .mac preferences and delete your user data... :)

I'm sure there's a way to sync but I don't know it, yet! I will let you know if I could get it to work!

Cya

I was never able to successfully log in through the .Mac preference pane, so I don't think there's any data to erase. *scratches head*

Is it possible to use gmail instead of gmx?

I was never able to successfully log in through the .Mac preference pane, so I don't think there's any data to erase. *scratches head*

Is it possible to use gmail instead of gmx?

:thumbsup_anim:

Hm, why there is the iDisk icon in your sidebar if you didn't entered your data? :blink:

OK, just try to drag your icon out of the sidebar. It should be away!

I think this is not possible because gmail doesn't use WebDAV! Correct me if I'm wrong!

Hm...

ok try this:

login as root

click on "New"

make a new property (in german: Verzeichnisse/neue Eigenschaft)

NO!

Do not try this under any circumstances.

It will mess up your account, you won't be able to login anymore. :blink:

The only way to recover from that stage would be to boot from singleuser and do a niload of your backup local.nidump. After that, create a new .AppleSetupDone and pray that you will find your setup with most settings of your old account.

Doesn't sound like fun, eh? :D Well I did it 30 mins ago, after following exactly this part of the tutorial. :):thumbsdown_anim:

nevermind and thanks for the rest of this tut, but you should really delete the part above.

/begin german/ Nix für ungut, aber der tipp suxxors big time. ;) /end german

Hi xtraa!

What about just deleting the property?! I didn't try to recover this because I don't want to have .mac!

Thx for the tip, but I want to understand this:

It will mess up your account, you won't be able to login anymore.
What account? .mac or GMX?

Hi xtraa!

What about just deleting the property?! I didn't try to recover this because I don't want to have .mac!

Thx for the tip, but I want to understand this: What account? .mac or GMX?

Hi :D

thanks to the tutorial, my gmx account is working now. I set it up with the hosts entry.

But talking about the NetInfoManager:

I meant my OSX user account, I wasn't able to login anymore. :)

By making a new property in the NetInfoManager it deleted or kinda moved

my username and login. I wasn't able to login anymore. nothing worked, even

root or administrator - all gone. :|

So the only chance to enter my desktop was by booting into singeluser mode

and then I deleted my .AppleSetupDone and dumped back the old nidump.local.

After that, I was able to create a new user account. Fortunately it kept most of

my settings.

So it seems that by clicking on "new" in the netInfoManager, it does not *add* a

new property, but overwrite the old one.

Maybe I did something wrong but even in that case, it would be very easy to do

something wrong, so I won't recomment that step :P

Yeah OK,

there is a "users" folder in the NetInfo Manager! But it shouldn't delete this folder if you click on new... :blink:

Very confusing!

I will add a warning for the other users ^_^

A big thanks for that info!!!

/begin german/ Bist du Deutscher? /end german/