Trouble Sharing iTunes Library Between Vista and OS X

AKennedy_4

5 posts in this topic

I need helppppp. I've been trying this guide for a little while now it cant get anything to work! First off I have my hard drive partitioned into 3 seperate partitions; 1. Vista, 2. OS X, 3. Media (Music, photos). I am dual booting vista and leopard 10.5.7 and trying to share the iTunes library between the two os's. But no matter what guides I follow (here) Nothing works for me! My first problem that i noticed is that when i create my iTunes library in OS X, it creates the "iTunes Library" file with the .itl extension. And i can't rename that.. So i let it stay named the way it was created in osx and when boot vista and try to select that library, it overwrites some of the file and next thing u know all the files in the library go missing. :unsure: I even tried renaming the "itunes library.xml" to "itunes library.itl.xml" and that didn't work either.. It just creates another "itunes library.xml" and moves on.. So can someone please explain to me what im doin wrong?? OH and both os's run iTunes 8

Any help is MUCHHH appreciated!

EDIT: If u need any clarification or detail of my system just ask. Sorry if i missed mentioning something

I searched bro and either i didnt understand it or I already done those steps and it still doesn't work..So i'll describe my situation a little bit more:

I already changed all my registry keys to relocate the music folder to my media partition on my hard drive (E:/username/Music) And I also deleted my default music folder on my OS X Partition and made an alias to the music folder on my media partition.

My problem is that the itunes library files aren't cross-compatible with both platforms (OS X and 32 bit vista). When i create a library in one os everything works but when i try to use that same library in another os, everything works except the file locations "can't be located."

Also in other guides that i've followed it mentioned renaming files and weird file formats with itunes (such as extensions going .itl.xml). I only have 4 files no matter what os i create my itunes library on. They are:

iTunes Library.itl
iTunes Library.xml
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
iTunes Library Genius.itdb

And when i tell vista to use the library created from osx, vista will create an additional file called:

iTunes Music Library.xml

sooo any thoughts? Any help is appreciated ;)

hmm well I finally got it working. I followed the guide from Macosxhints. The only thing i had to do differently was to consolidate my library (I was trying to leave my music out of itunes control). But after i did that, everything worked. The only thing that sucks is that every-time u use itunes now, it has to update the library :/ oh well it still works