20 posts in this topic

I have an Asus (they build macbooks) glare laptop and I wouldn't trade it for an non-glare now that I'm used to it. It's quite the same as Vaio's glare, not much reflection compared to an Acer glare display (I have compered them 3, Acers are awful). The color difference is stunning and yes, you get better viewing angle. I have to think of situations when the glare wouldn't let me work at all or watch a movie on the go, I'll tell you: not many. For me it's worth the trade.

I have matte screen in my notebook. I choose this screen and very happy with it. Matte vs glossy is a personal preference, both have its advantages/disadvantages. You should see it first hand.

I think for a portable device which you don't have control over the environment to use matte screen is a must. Glossy screen reflects light sources, and its very distracting to use with reflections. You can use the screen like a mirror.

If you don't carry your notebook around and can control the light sources in environment (dark room), glossy screen might be a viable choice.

If you plan on using a notebook in an office environment where you have those horrible strip lights then don't get a glossy screen - it reflects them terribly. However if you want to play games and watch dvd's and you can dim the lights then you get fantastic contrast on the glossy screens, really deep blacks!

Just take a trip to your local Apple store, and compar for yourself. Personally, I prefer the matte screen...I guess it's just what I'm used to. Like chrysaor said, It's really just personal preference.

I have a glossy screen in my Acer Aspire laptop. No problems or complaints about it at all. I understand, the reflection could be annoying if you are working with the laptop outside all the time, but other than that I don't even notice any reflection at all. If you concentrate on it very hard, then it is possible to see some reflection also indoors in natural light, but in use eyes just ignore it. Hell, even TV's have reflections. Your eyes ignore them anyways and nobody seems to be complaining about glossy tv screens. I know it is a matter of preference, but I personally don't understand the general dislike that people have against glossy screens. For home laptop that gets quite a bit of multimedia use and some gaming glossy screen gives better contrast and colours. I dont know how good/bad it is for professional use, but even these MacBooks are more meant to be consumer/home user laptops.

If you do photography, the glossy screen probably give an extra stop or so of contrast overall. I LOVE the effect and have just learned to deal with the extra glare. Its a laptop and the screen moves pretty easily.

My wife has one of those small foot print (can't recall the model) Sony Vaio laptop w/ a glossy 4:3 screen. use it occassionally and the glare is not really that bad. In fact my wife has never have a problem with it.

Also, you can always adjust the tilt angle to compensate.

I have a glossy screen on a VAIO from 2003 and a glossy screen on my happy little MacBook.

I didn't even notice there WASN'T reflection coming off the screen until I read this topic. This is the sun coming in through the holes in the window, so it's pretty unidirectional; you have to have it pretty much lined up to your eye to notice it. This is when my chair blocks out most of the ambient light that hits my screen, which is really the problem; not anything that directly shines at you (in the sun, your backlight is pretty much too piddly and you might as well turn the lamp off and use the sun instead, turning on high contrast if necessary; in this respect, matte screens don't work AS well outside from my experience). If this were a matte screen, I'd notice the unidirectional reflection. My advice with a glossy screen? If you have somewhat bright light all around you, try readjusting the screen so that the "mirror" surface points at your body more than anything else. Or point it at a wall that won't reflect (ceiling works too, if you don't have any light bouncing off of it). Or just don't care :) If you still have a normal ol' TV that's a glass tube, you're already aware of the issue if you do care....

I prefer my glossy screen for the better, brighter image, because I can readjust for the situation, but your circumstance may be different. It should be okay in a cube, since if anything does noticeably reflect, you should consider it an advantage if your screen has to be pointed towards the entrance... Do not point it at lights, of course, but I never have any problems with flourescent lights.

Consider carefully, though; making a bad choice for your screen can hurt your eyes, and either way it's basically like staring at a light bulb, so "the experts" say you should rest your eyes at least every hour or so. "The experts" are probably right in this case. It's good to relax from the computer periodically, if only for a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

dude you should seriously go play around with one. i didnt think i would like it until i took a trip to my local apple store (which are popping up like starbucks). they are pretty spiffy. according to the clerk in the store these new screens are easier to clean and provide greater color saturation. i didnt have enough time or resources to really test out that theory on the spot but i was impressed all the same.

and just for reference this is coming from the guy with the WUXGA 1920x1200 display on his pc laptop.

p.s. i still like the HD display better :P

Yeah, for sure... I spent some time looking at one at my university's computer sales department... I was impressed with the screen... the glossy didnt seem like an issue at all....

I have 1680 X 1050 resolution on my Dell (XP) - and since I 1) already have a laptop and 2) lack a desktop, I am going to go with the 20" iMac - - that will give me all sorts of room to work with.

However, if I were an upcoming college freshman without a laptop, I would get a Macbook, for sure... but since I will be less mobile (and that I have a decent laptop now), I think the iMac is my choice.

I must say that the glossy coat that I have is great on my asus laptop. It helps protect the screen from very simple "rubbing" that I saw happen to MANY g4 laptops and transportation. Also the graphics look crisper and very smooth. Not sure if that is due to the pixel blending that occurs or what. I don't really have too many problems with glare, unless the screen is pure black... which is rare :)