NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

Look your if you checked all energy saver boxes, or it could come from a recent bios update as well.

Yeah I have it all checked off. However I only have two options there (not three). I haven't updated the BIOS recently. The only thing that changed was that I changed to a wireless logitech keyboard (dinovo mac edition) and don't have the usb wired mac keyboard. I had to install a logitech pref panel (which I've since uninstalled). But basically after that, sleep has never worked, but before that, everything worked perfectly.

Any other thoughts?

Yeah I have it all checked off. However I only have two options there (not three). I haven't updated the BIOS recently. The only thing that changed was that I changed to a wireless logitech keyboard (dinovo mac edition) and don't have the usb wired mac keyboard. I had to install a logitech pref panel (which I've since uninstalled). But basically after that, sleep has never worked, but before that, everything worked perfectly.

Any other thoughts?

Try unplug your usb from the top usb connectors (near the ps2 connector) and put them to the bottom, also search for logitech in your system and try remove the addons that you might still have (I hate the logitech drivers on the mac).

Look in all startup folders like:

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchAgents

~/Library/StartupItems

~/Library/LaunchAgents

Firewire work without DSDT file ? Removing firewire section from dsdt file should solve the problem too. But unfortunately I don't know the name for that section.

Sorry, I've been off for a few days for the Christmas holiday. Yes, I can boot without a DSDT and the system works well... as in stable, but no audio or sleep. With the DSDT from Tony's site (which may have been provided by pm_mickey - if so thanks! Your code is very clean compared to the original, but firewire does not work correctly. ) Since everything works great except firewire, I'm going to try removing the firewire section to see if firewire works OK without that info in the DSDT.

I'll also try his files listed in previous posts. I should have time later this week.

Now, I'm following tonymacx86's guide to dual boot, and from the looks of it, snow leopard and win7 are installed and both working! Thank you all so much for the help. I do have one final issue, though. Going from booting with the usb drive to the actual harddrive is not painless...I've issued the commands in terminal to set the snow partition to be the first boot, but when I try and boot from the harddrive I get a screen saying something like:

boot0:GPT

boot0:testing

boot0:error

I've tried setting both all of my partitions as active, but to no avail. In fdisk, it says something about not being able to get exclusive access and a reboot required. Would this mean I have to reboot twice in order to notice the difference?

After getting my UD3R/i5 build setup, in this case OS X and Win 7 on separate drives, I booted into Win 7 and decided to hide the OS X drive by removing the drive letter. Rebooting off the OS X drive caused the bootloader to fail with a boot0:error. On my OS X drive (2 partitions, bootloader and OS X) Win 7 had changed the 2nd partition's type to Microsoft Basic Data - should be Apple HFS+.

I followed the guide below to correct the partition type error without the need to reinstall OS X:

Boot failure - invalid partition type

After getting my UD3R/i5 build setup, in this case OS X and Win 7 on separate drives, I booted into Win 7 and decided to hide the OS X drive by removing the drive letter. Rebooting off the OS X drive caused the bootloader to fail with a boot0:error. On my OS X drive (2 partitions, bootloader and OS X) Win 7 had changed the 2nd partition's type to Microsoft Basic Data - should be Apple HFS+.

I followed the guide below to correct the partition type error without the need to reinstall OS X:

Boot failure - invalid partition type

I don't think that is the problem - I do have a Microsoft Basic Data, but that's my win7 partition. My primary OS X partition is the one of 1,1 tb. Please see attached image. Is it possible that the chameleon install has not worked?

post-106771-1262010902_thumb.png

I've been following this thread, looking at my potential options, and just wanted to say THANKS!!!! to Tony, VGM10000, rekursor and everyone else who's contributed all this great info on compatibility, kexts, dsdt's, etc.

I haven't made the i5 upgrade yet, but I will be over the next few weeks...

OK,

I tried pm_mickey's DSDT - actually used the EFI files he posted. Firewire still would not work as it should. If I turned on the firewire drive or connected a video camera after booting, they would not work. After taking the firewire section out of his DSDT, firewire works as it should. I'm not sure why there is a difference, but firewire works great without the info in the DSDT.

I'll post the working DSDT in a bit. I also removed the graphics section of the DSDT because I do not have a 8800 gt. I have a 9500 gt, so I just use the chameleon graphics injection.

Thanks pm_mickey for the files. Wonderful work!

OK, Here is pm_mickey's DSDT that I modified to remove firewire and graphics. Using this, my firewire works as it should. BTW, I'm booting using the same files that pm_mickey posted above (pg. 67 I think). I did change a few things in the smbios.plist to match my system and added graphics enabler in com.apple.boot.plist.

I have a question for pm_mickey: is your DSDT specific to the i7 CPU, if so, could you make it specific for the i5. Thanks! Wonderful work everyone! I love my hack!

Arynjon, the DSDT for the gd65 from Tony's database appears to be from player_sct and not pm_mickey. My mobo comes in two days and I will be working hard to get firewire from that point. It is, however, worth trying pm_mickey's DSDT first.

DSDT.aml.zip

Try unplug your usb from the top usb connectors (near the ps2 connector) and put them to the bottom, also search for logitech in your system and try remove the addons that you might still have (I hate the logitech drivers on the mac).

Look in all startup folders like:

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchAgents

~/Library/StartupItems

~/Library/LaunchAgents

Logitech drivers are poo. I had to remove hidden files from the above mentioned as well. I use USB Overdrive and get full functionality out of my keyboard and mouse. And yes, move all USB devices to the bottom most ports on the back. This also helped me out. However, I did find that using the USB on the front of my case (connected to the internal USB headers) causes me no issues, in fact my iPod touch syncs perfectly when connected, as with the bottom 4 ports on the back. When I moved it to one of the top 6 USB KP after wake (and sketchy sync, as with my Bluetooth dongle).

Just a thought/comment. Why are you using the Gigabyte SATA over the Intel? I find the 6 blue SATA gives me no problems. Sure, for cable management the Gigabyte are more convenient, but I have read in previous posts this may cause problems. I don't know for sure because my eSATA bracket is plugged into the Gigabyte SATA and I have yet to use them. Like I said, just a thought. ;)

@pm_mickey:

Took another look at your DSDT. Looks like you have i7 specific processor info. I thought about trying to change it using tonymacs's DSDT mod info, but your code looks a bit different - for example, you use P00, P01, etc instead of CPU0, CPU1, etc.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Or, if you could provide an i5 specific DSDT, that would be even better. Either way, thank you very much!

OK,

I tried pm_mickey's DSDT - actually used the EFI files he posted. Firewire still would not work as it should. If I turned on the firewire drive or connected a video camera after booting, they would not work. After taking the firewire section out of his DSDT, firewire works as it should. I'm not sure why there is a difference, but firewire works great without the info in the DSDT.

I'll post the working DSDT in a bit. I also removed the graphics section of the DSDT because I do not have a 8800 gt. I have a 9500 gt, so I just use the chameleon graphics injection.

Thanks pm_mickey for the files. Wonderful work!

OK, Here is pm_mickey's DSDT that I modified to remove firewire and graphics. Using this, my firewire works as it should. BTW, I'm booting using the same files that pm_mickey posted above (pg. 67 I think). I did change a few things in the smbios.plist to match my system and added graphics enabler in com.apple.boot.plist.

I have a question for pm_mickey: is your DSDT specific to the i7 CPU, if so, could you make it specific for the i5. Thanks! Wonderful work everyone! I love my hack!

Hi Guys I am very grateful to you all here for the info and in particular for your DSDTs

My rig is a P55-GD80/1.5 bios with GTX260 graphics and i7 860. I have recently migrated from a Gigabyte and having difficulties. I went to Tonymac initially however the GD65 dsdt was not very good as the sound when working was awful, sleep and shutdown were non existent, so much so I migrated to my vanilla dsdt extracted with ubuntu which apart from sound just worked, and with the help of MM67 managed to copy the "working" sound files to my vanilla dsdt.

The vanilla dsdt sleeps and hibernates very well, but pm_mickeys doesnt. I have tried comparisons but the differences between pm_mickey's version and my vanilla are vastly different and I do no know where to start. I also found that Mickey's FADT.aml did not work too well so I reverted toOSXrestart.kext. Any pointers to what I need to do would be appreciated, I find that arynjon's amendment is better for me. I also agree that pm_mickey's dsdt is far better for me than the one from tonymac as the sound is 100 better, I just need to sort out the sleep

Any help and suggestions are very welcome. I was very impressed the way the vanilla version of the GD-80 almost worked, an almost impossible expectation using a gigabte.

the vanilla is attached.

Tony/Singapore.

dsdtGD80.aml.zip

All needed stuff for MSI P55-GD65 with latest bios version 1.5.

Some data in boot and smbios.plist is changed from original data collected from real iMac11,1.

Probably also will work with other MSI P55 board.

Attachment is content of hidded EFI partition without mkextcache (!!! first recreate mkextcache !!!)

pm_mickey,

Thank you so much for this your efforts are really appreciated it all works fine now on my GD80, earlier I did have sleep problems but since using the Chameleon grahics injector and remaking all osx mkexts it is all working very well. Sleep too now seems ok and the audio/network/Bonjour/Firewire/eSata (Ethernet & Airport with real Apple MiniPCI loaded on PCI card) Sound is excellent and a great improvement on what I had originally from elsewhere...

@pm_mickey:

Took another look at your DSDT. Looks like you have i7 specific processor info. I thought about trying to change it using tonymacs's DSDT mod info, but your code looks a bit different - for example, you use P00, P01, etc instead of CPU0, CPU1, etc.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Or, if you could provide an i5 specific DSDT, that would be even better. Either way, thank you very much!

If You have MSI motherboard dont change P00, P01 ... to CPU0, CPU1 ... because SSDT needs P00, P01 ...

My DSDT.aml is not i7 specific.

Bios change SSDT tables acording to installed CPU and also changing CPU flags in BIOS this Power management stuff is changed.

For firewire there is a problem if data from iMac11,1 is entered because BIOS did not init firewire and OSX asumes that EFI is inited firewire.

After wake from sleep changed ACPI from DSDT initialise all bridges and firewire start to work normaly.

I don't think that is the problem - I do have a Microsoft Basic Data, but that's my win7 partition. My primary OS X partition is the one of 1,1 tb. Please see attached image. Is it possible that the chameleon install has not worked?

Terribly sorry to bump this one, but does anyone sit on a good solution for this? I've run the PC EFI on my snow leopard disk (I don't need to run it on the other partitions as well, right?) and then copied dsdt.aml, boot and the extras folder to the SL partition but I'm still getting the "boot0:error" message...kind of annoying having to plug in the usb drive constantly...any help is much appreciated!

Terribly sorry to bump this one, but does anyone sit on a good solution for this? I've run the PC EFI on my snow leopard disk (I don't need to run it on the other partitions as well, right?) and then copied dsdt.aml, boot and the extras folder to the SL partition but I'm still getting the "boot0:error" message...kind of annoying having to plug in the usb drive constantly...any help is much appreciated!

Make sure you have the partition you want to boot from set as the boot partition in BIOS.

Also, have you set your default partition properly in com.apple.Boot.plist? I have had the boot0 error when this was not set right.

Like so:

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,2)</string>

Of course replacing hd(x,x) with the numbers for your SL partition

This means, that the masterbootrecord is installed successfully but the boot sector (boot1) of your partition can not be read / found.

Make sure you have the partition you want to boot from set as the boot partition in BIOS.

Also, have you set your default partition properly in com.apple.Boot.plist? I have had the boot0 error when this was not set right.

Like so:

CODE

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(1,2)</string>

Of course replacing hd(x,x) with the numbers for your SL partition

No no, both ideas will not solve the problem. com.apple.boot.plist will only be read if chameleon is successfully loaded. (it is not in this case)

And in BIOS you can not select partitions, only harddisks but this is okay in this case, because masterbootrecord can be read.

But you have maybe in BIOS not selected "AHCI" mode for SATA. "AHCI extreme" (whatever it is named) mode cause exactly this problem.

And you must maybe reinstall chameleons latest boot0 and boot1h loader. How to do this is explained many posts earlier. Much fun in searching this post.

Logitech drivers are poo. I had to remove hidden files from the above mentioned as well. I use USB Overdrive and get full functionality out of my keyboard and mouse. And yes, move all USB devices to the bottom most ports on the back. This also helped me out. However, I did find that using the USB on the front of my case (connected to the internal USB headers) causes me no issues, in fact my iPod touch syncs perfectly when connected, as with the bottom 4 ports on the back. When I moved it to one of the top 6 USB KP after wake (and sketchy sync, as with my Bluetooth dongle).

Just a thought/comment. Why are you using the Gigabyte SATA over the Intel? I find the 6 blue SATA gives me no problems. Sure, for cable management the Gigabyte are more convenient, but I have read in previous posts this may cause problems. I don't know for sure because my eSATA bracket is plugged into the Gigabyte SATA and I have yet to use them. Like I said, just a thought. :P

I was only using the Gigabyte SATA for the SATA DVD drive. I get this error after a while and the drive won't work and it won't eject. I used the Gigabyte SATA to use it as IDE emulation but that enabled my sleep to work bette (before this whole logitech mess which is still not resolved), but it still don't let my SATA DVD drive work well. I just have to re-start the computer every once in a while to get it to work again.

How did you get your DVD drive to work well? Especially after sleep? I've tried the disable HD sleep option (cause I've read that was what is causing the issue), but that doesn't seem to help.

Will keep searching for these logitech drivers!! ERGH

Arynjon, the DSDT for the gd65 from Tony's database appears to be from player_sct and not pm_mickey. My mobo comes in two days and I will be working hard to get firewire from that point. It is, however, worth trying pm_mickey's DSDT first.

ryan - dsdt from tony's database is not from me. i don't now who make it, but she/he do very good job :rolleyes:

Hello,

I would like to know if you can help me to sort my DSDT.aml out of my Motherboard GIGABYTE P55 UD6, because it's very different of all models and guides that I've found. I've made some fix in the DSDT following one guide de tonymacx86's P55 Hackintosh Blog, but with the speedstep is very difficult for me. I'm beginner.

Regards from Spain!

http://www.mediafire.com/?r5nzij1ldhe DSDT.aml.zip ( 19.48K ) Number of downloads: 0

Gigabyte P55 UD6 -1156

i7 860 2.80 GHZ

9500 GT

Corsair 4Gb 1600MHZ DDR3

SNOW 10.6.2

If You have MSI motherboard dont change P00, P01 ... to CPU0, CPU1 ... because SSDT needs P00, P01 ...

My DSDT.aml is not i7 specific.

Bios change SSDT tables acording to installed CPU and also changing CPU flags in BIOS this Power management stuff is changed.

For firewire there is a problem if data from iMac11,1 is entered because BIOS did not init firewire and OSX asumes that EFI is inited firewire.

After wake from sleep changed ACPI from DSDT initialise all bridges and firewire start to work normaly.

pm_mickey - Thanks for clearing this up for me. I'm really new to DSDT editing. I read as much as I can, but really rely on guys like you who know what you are doing.

So, are you saying that the firewire should work correctly with your DSDT if I put my computer to sleep and then wake it up?

Thanks again!

I was only using the Gigabyte SATA for the SATA DVD drive. I get this error after a while and the drive won't work and it won't eject. I used the Gigabyte SATA to use it as IDE emulation but that enabled my sleep to work bette (before this whole logitech mess which is still not resolved), but it still don't let my SATA DVD drive work well. I just have to re-start the computer every once in a while to get it to work again.

How did you get your DVD drive to work well? Especially after sleep? I've tried the disable HD sleep option (cause I've read that was what is causing the issue), but that doesn't seem to help.

Will keep searching for these logitech drivers!! ERGH

Well, my suggestion as stated is to use the Intel SATA ports; I have my WD 1TB/640GB HDs and Samsung SH-S223F DVD drive plugged into SATA 0, 1, and 2. I have also tried LG and Plexar SATA DVD drives in the same 6 Intel SATA ports and have experienced no problems. I even had an IDE drive installed over the weekend and even though my DSDT had NO IDE info in it I still achieved stable sleep. As well, even if you use any IDE drives, make sure you set all SATA in bios to AHCI regardless; just make sure to use the Jmicron.kext in E/E.

Until Logitech releases new drivers (the SL one as stated is poo) I really recommend USB Overdrive. Hell, I'd recommend it even if Logitech gets it's {censored} together. By far the best and greatest universal USB driver. I have been using it since Mac OS 7.X. Fully configured my Logitech Internet keyboard and 8-button mouse. Even Saitek devices can be fully configured. Believe me, USB problems were the bane of my stability/sleep issues. USB Overdrive has yet to let me down. :)

P.S. Are you using the DSDT for the UD3R from Tonymac's blog?

P.P.S. Have you tried another DVD drive or considered replacing it? DL DVD-R drives run about $25 cnd. these days.

pm_mickey - Thanks for clearing this up for me. I'm really new to DSDT editing. I read as much as I can, but really rely on guys like you who know what you are doing.

So, are you saying that the firewire should work correctly with your DSDT if I put my computer to sleep and then wake it up?

Thanks again!

pm_Mickey and arynjon I am really very grateful to you both, as pm_mickey DSDT works extremely well on my MSI-P55-GD80 MB with an i7 processor.

I am a total noob with DSDT editing and what pm_mickey has published here really works very well and is totally stable after two days of exhaustive testing, I am delighted and thank you again.

However I have to say that firewire (HD connected) works best without the FRWR entry in your DSDT as suggested originally by arynjon. After your comments (pm_Mickey) yesterday I decided to put the FRWR back into the DSDT and after successful no error compilation - the firewire device is not seen while without firewire in the DSDT it works. Being a noob, I do not know why. This is after running IASL and disk permissions repair.

To conclude I am using your DSDT pm_Mickey without the hard coded graphics for your 8800 card and minus the FRWR entry and this is really great - I am really impressed...

Anybody that might be interested I am attaching my Extra folder. Both the com.apple.boot plist and smbios plist files are amended as per my setup here, but using pm_Mickey's basics.

Have a great 2010 and thank again.

Well, my suggestion as stated is to use the Intel SATA ports; I have my WD 1TB/640GB HDs and Samsung SH-S223F DVD drive plugged into SATA 0, 1, and 2. I have also tried LG and Plexar SATA DVD drives in the same 6 Intel SATA ports and have experienced no problems. I even had an IDE drive installed over the weekend and even though my DSDT had NO IDE info in it I still achieved stable sleep. As well, even if you use any IDE drives, make sure you set all SATA in bios to AHCI regardless; just make sure to use the Jmicron.kext in E/E.

Until Logitech releases new drivers (the SL one as stated is poo) I really recommend USB Overdrive. Hell, I'd recommend it even if Logitech gets it's {censored} together. By far the best and greatest universal USB driver. I have been using it since Mac OS 7.X. Fully configured my Logitech Internet keyboard and 8-button mouse. Even Saitek devices can be fully configured. Believe me, USB problems were the bane of my stability/sleep issues. USB Overdrive has yet to let me down. :)

P.S. Are you using the DSDT for the UD3R from Tonymac's blog?

P.P.S. Have you tried another DVD drive or considered replacing it? DL DVD-R drives run about $25 cnd. these days.

Yeah I'm not sure putting the DVD drive in the Gigabyte ports have done anything actually. I still have that error that occurs after a while when the HD's go to sleep. You didn't get that at all with any of your DVD drives? (I would hate to have to get rid of mine, I actually bought a 12x blu-ray burner so a little pricey. I maybe will try to put it back to the P55 SATA ports and see how it goes. I have 5 SATA HD's hooked up already so I didn't mind moving it off the P55 ports since I may need to add a few more HDs soon.

However, I got rid of all logitech drivers and SLEEP WORKS AGAIN! Never again will I use their drivers. Will look into USB Overdrive. Also bought a mac usb keyboard and may just use that again as this wireless keyboard still has a little lag.

Yeah I'm not sure putting the DVD drive in the Gigabyte ports have done anything actually. I still have that error that occurs after a while when the HD's go to sleep. You didn't get that at all with any of your DVD drives? (I would hate to have to get rid of mine, I actually bought a 12x blu-ray burner so a little pricey. I maybe will try to put it back to the P55 SATA ports and see how it goes. I have 5 SATA HD's hooked up already so I didn't mind moving it off the P55 ports since I may need to add a few more HDs soon.

However, I got rid of all logitech drivers and SLEEP WORKS AGAIN! Never again will I use their drivers. Will look into USB Overdrive. Also bought a mac usb keyboard and may just use that again as this wireless keyboard still has a little lag.

Fantastic on sleep working again. Don't know what to tell ya on the Blu-Ray drive though; I assumed it was DVD. I was considering buying one myself. What brand is it? I was thinking of LG. I am interested in hearing back to see if switching to the Intel ports help at all. You might want to try searching the forum for Blu-ray issues (if you haven't already). I recall reading a thread somewhere on Blu-ray issues. Apologies though, as I am unsure which OSX86 site I was on. :)