NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

The iMac DVDs are already 10.6.2. :wallbash:

If you have a DVD from core i7 / i5 iMac it must start directly from disc.

Not exactly I'm afraid as a real iMac has an integrated EFI system to boot from ...

But yes, it could be much simpler to install a 10.6.2 from an empire EFI boot disc, then the retail disc,

or from a chameleon boot disc.

Talking about that have a look here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...01850&st=40

The chameleon team integrated my modded boot file as well as many other goodies in a RC4 v3 unofficial chameleon installer ...

I have the same sound chip (ALC889 not the"A" one

I used your HDEF part from the dsdt but my LEGACYHDA kext not working with it

can you upload your KEXT?

Test attached DSDT.aml. I dont have any firewire device but this is my last modified version of dsdt for MSI p55-GD65 (Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB and realtek 889 patch inside)

That is really awesome, thank you for this info - it'll help me get a little closer. It does sound strange though, how would one re-install os x with the dvd that comes with the imacs if one has the i5/i7 imac? Is there a guide around to create an install dvd like that? I really wouldn't know what to replace...

:blink: Happy Holidays everyone! :(

Just wanted to chime in here. Using my Boot CD Method, the boot cd loads the 10.6 kernel that works with P55 boards so that you can then boot the Retail dvd and install. This is how we can use the 10.6 Retail dvd to install on P55 boards. You don't have to make a special version of 10.6.2 Install DVD because the boot cd loads the kernel/kexts that we need.

Alternately, you can use my USB Method, whereby you copy the Install DVD on a USB drive- that way is the most universal, but pretty complicated. You will need an existing OS X install (Hackintosh or Mac) to do this.

The 3rd way to do it is to use the OSInstall.mpkg Method that installs directly to hard drive from your existing Hackintosh or Mac.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any issues and I'll try to help out any way I can. ;)

I have the same sound chip (ALC889 not the"A" one

I used your HDEF part from the dsdt but my LEGACYHDA kext not working with it

can you upload your KEXT?

Here is a LegacyHDA.kext for Realtek 889 and my dsdt ( pin config is for msi p55-gd65, but probably some of outputs wil work on another motherboards).

Here is a fixed FADT.aml for MSI P55-GD 65. Copy it next to DSDT.aml and use modified R4 boot.

And remove OSXRestart.kext or other kext used for fixing restart problem.

(modified Chameleon R4 can be found on Gigabyte p55 forum)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...00#entry1363388

LegacyHDA.kext.zip

FADT.zip

pm_Mickey, do you have your gd65 fully functional. I ask because I will be buying a board in the next few days and that is at the top of my list.

I made custom DSDT.aml based on great work of Master Chief and some parts of ACPI tables from real iMac11,1.

Both network cards, onboard audio, Nvidia GT 8800 512 MB, all 14 USB 2.0 ports, SpeedStep, Deep Sleep, Wake, AHCI, JDmicro, and probably FireWire (I dont have any firewire device and can not test this part).

Also I made custom Chameleon boot based on RC4 and work of recuros, Duvel300 and many other peopele that do not need fix for restart and some modifications of efi platform table. Also correct CPU interconnect BUS.

System works very well with MSI P55-GD65 and i7 860 but probably will also work for other MSI P55 boards.

Also I can upload all needed stuff in Extra dir except real data from real iMac11,1 implemented in smbios.plist and real efi table data in modified chameleon boot.

Sorry for my funny english.

All needed stuff for MSI P55-GD65 with latest bios version 1.5.

Some data in boot and smbios.plist is changed from original data collected from real iMac11,1.

Probably also will work with other MSI P55 board.

Attachment is content of hidded EFI partition without mkextcache (!!! first recreate mkextcache !!!)

EFI.ZIP

:D Happy Holidays everyone! :P

Just wanted to chime in here. Using my Boot CD Method, the boot cd loads the 10.6 kernel that works with P55 boards so that you can then boot the Retail dvd and install. This is how we can use the 10.6 Retail dvd to install on P55 boards. You don't have to make a special version of 10.6.2 Install DVD because the boot cd loads the kernel/kexts that we need.

Alternately, you can use my USB Method, whereby you copy the Install DVD on a USB drive- that way is the most universal, but pretty complicated. You will need an existing OS X install (Hackintosh or Mac) to do this.

The 3rd way to do it is to use the OSInstall.mpkg Method that installs directly to hard drive from your existing Hackintosh or Mac.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any issues and I'll try to help out any way I can. :)

Happy holidays to you as well! I simply love your enthusiasm, have been following the comments on your guides the last few days trying to get it to work and I'm stunned by your dedication to helping people - kudos.

I managed to get snow leopard installed via the USB method (I have an mbp at home as well) but when booting from the usb and choosing the harddrive I get a few screens of text and then a reboot - any ideas as to why this is happening? I've double-checked my BIOS settings and they seem to be correct. My hardware is as follows:

*Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-750 2,66GHz, Socket LGA1156, 8MB, Boxed

*Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, P55, Socket-1156 4xDDR3, ATX, GbLAN, 4phase power, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16

*Crucial DDR3 1066MHz 4GB KIT, CL7, Kit w/two matched DDR3 2GB, 240pin

*XFX GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX

*Western digital caviar green 1500gb

Happy holidays to you as well! I simply love your enthusiasm, have been following the comments on your guides the last few days trying to get it to work and I'm stunned by your dedication to helping people - kudos.

I managed to get snow leopard installed via the USB method (I have an mbp at home as well) but when booting from the usb and choosing the harddrive I get a few screens of text and then a reboot - any ideas as to why this is happening? I've double-checked my BIOS settings and they seem to be correct. My hardware is as follows:

*Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-750 2,66GHz, Socket LGA1156, 8MB, Boxed

*Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, P55, Socket-1156 4xDDR3, ATX, GbLAN, 4phase power, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16

*Crucial DDR3 1066MHz 4GB KIT, CL7, Kit w/two matched DDR3 2GB, 240pin

*XFX GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX

*Western digital caviar green 1500gb

Thank you for the kind words! The reboot sounds like you still have the vanilla 10.6 kernel- that causes reboot immediately after Chameleon. If you haven't updated to 10.6.2, you will need a patched kernel to boot- did you replace the mach_kernel with the Qoopz 10.6 kernel from tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip on the USB drive?

If you still have issues, I just found a thread dedicated to the GTX260 on Snow Leopard that may be of interest. Seems rather complicated though. You may be able to boot using -x or -s then follow these directions. I don't have this card, so I can't test, but let me know how it comes out! Good luck!

http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/guide-gefor...-leopard-t4057/

I made custom DSDT.aml based on great work of Master Chief and some parts of ACPI tables from real iMac11,1.

Both network cards, onboard audio, Nvidia GT 8800 512 MB, all 14 USB 2.0 ports, SpeedStep, Deep Sleep, Wake, AHCI, JDmicro, and probably FireWire (I dont have any firewire device and can not test this part).

Also I made custom Chameleon boot based on RC4 and work of recuros, Duvel300 and many other peopele that do not need fix for restart and some modifications of efi platform table. Also correct CPU interconnect BUS.

System works very well with MSI P55-GD65 and i7 860 but probably will also work for other MSI P55 boards.

Also I can upload all needed stuff in Extra dir except real data from real iMac11,1 implemented in smbios.plist and real efi table data in modified chameleon boot.

Sorry for my funny english.

This is really great work you have done so many thanks for the little xmas present I found yesterday.

Using your files I have resolved the issues I was having with Sleep and getting sound to work without Voodoohda.

My Cpu is I5 750 and obviously this isn't displayed correctly in About this Mac. Is this just a cosmetic thing or are more fundamental changes required and if so where ?

Again many thanks for your hard work.

Deano

This is really great work you have done so many thanks for the little xmas present I found yesterday.

Using your files I have resolved the issues I was having with Sleep and getting sound to work without Voodoohda.

My Cpu is I5 750 and obviously this isn't displayed correctly in About this Mac. Is this just a cosmetic thing or are more fundamental changes required and if so where ?

Again many thanks for your hard work.

Deano

I removed ahci and cpu faking but entered correct values for upcoming release of osx if someone need ich10 info for ahci and quad core xeon for cpu i can make a versions that displays that and also pci info for both network and firewire.

I removed ahci and cpu faking but entered correct values for upcoming release of osx if someone need ich10 info for ahci and quad core xeon for cpu i can make a versions that displays that and also pci info for both network and firewire.

Hi thanks for the quick response, could you create me a version as you mention above to show the correct details for my system ? If so that would be very kind.

For all those out there using 8800GTs (or G92-based Videoboards from NVIDIA) and having the (in comparsion to leopard) slight mouselag in 10.6.2 while running iTunes or Quicktime, try this (found elsewhere in this forum):

---------------------------------------------------------------

I found a very weird discovery.

I launch iTunes and I get the lag. I then close iTunes again.

I start the terminal and unload AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext and then load it again like this:

1. start terminal

2. cd /System/Library/Extensions

3. sudo kextunload AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

4. sudo kextload AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

5. exit

now start iTunes again and lag is gone!

AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext is loaded successfully and still no lag.

is this little trial useful in anyway?

---------------------------------------------------------------

for me it works.

There is also a disabler.kext (64) on kexts.com to load in your /Extra/Extensions Folder (Rebuild kextcache with kextutil). I didn't try this, but will on next restart. There is also a method to flash the bios of the 8800GT.

If you have a 8800GT or G92-based nvidia-board, try to run iTunes and see if there is a slight stuttering or mouselag while moving the cursor. If yes, try the above procedere via terminal.

Thank you for the kind words! The reboot sounds like you still have the vanilla 10.6 kernel- that causes reboot immediately after Chameleon. If you haven't updated to 10.6.2, you will need a patched kernel to boot- did you replace the mach_kernel with the Qoopz 10.6 kernel from tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip on the USB drive?

If you still have issues, I just found a thread dedicated to the GTX260 on Snow Leopard that may be of interest. Seems rather complicated though. You may be able to boot using -x or -s then follow these directions. I don't have this card, so I can't test, but let me know how it comes out! Good luck!

http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/guide-gefor...-leopard-t4057/

I'm certain I'm not on the vanilla kernel, the qoopz kernel is definitely there. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking of trying the vanilla 10.6.2 kernel next, not sure if it'll help though - the qoopz kernel is supposed to support the p55's as well?

Great stuff on the 260 - I just need to get to the point were I can start the terminal. :(

I'm certain I'm not on the vanilla kernel, the qoopz kernel is definitely there. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking of trying the vanilla 10.6.2 kernel next, not sure if it'll help though - the qoopz kernel is supposed to support the p55's as well?

Great stuff on the 260 - I just need to get to the point were I can start the terminal. ;)

Qoopz kernel must be started with busratio=20 at chameleon boot prompt.

But I'm not sure whether it is necessary for latest qoopz kernel.

In case you have already a mac with 10.6.2 take the /mach_kernel from there instead of that qoopz kernel.

Qoopz kernel must be started with busratio=20 at chameleon boot prompt.

But I'm not sure whether it is necessary for latest qoopz kernel.

In case you have already a mac with 10.6.2 take the /mach_kernel from there instead of that qoopz kernel.

Ok, so I tried the SL 10.6.2 kernel instead, the only difference is that I get the SL standard background in the installer instead of the grey background. But alas, when installed, booting from the harddrive only results in a reboot shortly after os x identifies the graphics card. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a .kext that I need to put in the extras folder for my graphics card or something? I've been struggling with this the last few days and it's really starting to get old...:(

Ok, so I tried the SL 10.6.2 kernel instead, the only difference is that I get the SL standard background in the installer instead of the grey background. But alas, when installed, booting from the harddrive only results in a reboot shortly after os x identifies the graphics card. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a .kext that I need to put in the extras folder for my graphics card or something? I've been struggling with this the last few days and it's really starting to get old...:(

But you can boot with this CD and then load from Harddisk ?

Yes.

You have

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

option in your com.apple.boot.plist file on Harddisk?

Sometimes it will be ignored if com.apple.boot.plist is corrupt. So try onetime with GraphicsEnabler=y at chameleon boot prompt.

Next, the graphic driver can fail, if no motherboard specific dsdt.aml file is placed to /Extra on HDD.

And last option could be, that 10.6.2 kernel crash with nvidia drivers from 10.6.0

ATI drivers, like I use, don't have that problem. In this case install Rtl1000.kext (whatever the name is) and boot with help of CD from HDD and update the whole System to 10.6.2 with softwareupdater.

Tonys boot CD has a "NVEnabler 64.kext" in "tonymacx86-P55BootCD/Extra/tonymacx86-snowleopard/System - Library - Extensions" maybe you need to put this to "/System/Library/Extensions" on your harddisk.

Tried out the installer with your patches and my geekbench is up to 10142 (no overclock, i7 870) and temps down to 27 degC. Can also confirm that dual graphic cards (nvidia) works for GA-P55-UD5 if this helps anyone.

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/200409

Not exactly I'm afraid as a real iMac has an integrated EFI system to boot from ...

But yes, it could be much simpler to install a 10.6.2 from an empire EFI boot disc, then the retail disc,

or from a chameleon boot disc.

Talking about that have a look here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...01850&st=40

The chameleon team integrated my modded boot file as well as many other goodies in a RC4 v3 unofficial chameleon installer ...

Ok, so the silly hat is mine to wear. I realized I had to manually copy the kernel from the external drive to the harddrive even though it was replaced on the external drive to begin with, if you follow my lead.

Now, I'm following tonymacx86's guide to dual boot, and from the looks of it, snow leopard and win7 are installed and both working! Thank you all so much for the help. I do have one final issue, though. Going from booting with the usb drive to the actual harddrive is not painless...I've issued the commands in terminal to set the snow partition to be the first boot, but when I try and boot from the harddrive I get a screen saying something like:

boot0:GPT

boot0:testing

boot0:error

I've tried setting both all of my partitions as active, but to no avail. In fdisk, it says something about not being able to get exclusive access and a reboot required. Would this mean I have to reboot twice in order to notice the difference?

Okay, after trying to get started months ago and giving up from information overload, and reading page after page on the forum the last three days, I need to get serious about putting together my build.

My rev. a Macbook Pro is off to Apple for a new logic board, so I need to move ahead with my plan for a new desktop. I'm currently without a real computer at work - unless you count my 266Mhz iMac G3 that I took in from home so that I can check email (it can't handle much else!).

Here is the build I'm considering - please critique:

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Antec Sonata III 500 Mid Tower Case 500W Power Supply

GeForce 9400 GT (but which one? Does it make a difference?)

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA

Basically, the Macbook Pro (original Core Duo) did everything I needed it to do, albeit more slowly than I would like. I put together at least one Keynote presentation a week with a handful of movies that I piece together in iMovie with a few effects - nothing too impressive - but occasionally time consuming. The rest of what I do isn't processor intensive, but I will occasionally go for a new game.

I'm having a bit of problems with sleep that hopefully someone can help out with.

I have 10.6.2 installed via Tonymac's boot CD on P55-UD3R without problems. Previously I had sleep working perfectly after I changed my SATA DVD drive to the gigabyte port and used the IDE emulation in the bios. This worked for a few days without problems.

However, now EVERY time it goes to sleep it wakes up with a crash. I've tried reinstalling the 10.6.2 combo update, and then all the kexts and dsdt over again. That didn't help. Rebuilt everything with Onyx, that didn't help. Can't seem to reach that perfect place I had a few days ago.

Usually the crash is related to MangedClient app or iCal helper. But I don't think their the actual ones that's causing the problem.

One difference I do notice is that in my energy save preference pane, I on only have two options (put HD to sleep, and allow power button to put the computer to sleep). The third is now missing.

Any ideas what I should try next (short of reinstalling everything)?

Thanks so much for help!!

Tried out the installer with your patches and my geekbench is up to 10142 (no overclock, i7 870) and temps down to 27 degC. Can also confirm that dual graphic cards (nvidia) works for GA-P55-UD5 if this helps anyone.

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/200409

Great results osxchat congrats !

I'm also extremely satisfied with my hackintosh, at such a point that I made a full hard disk backup of my config after importing my user data from my other hackintosh :rolleyes:

That's from far the fastest and sweetest hackintosh that I ever had, better that my real macs.

I'm having a bit of problems with sleep that hopefully someone can help out with.

Look your if you checked all energy saver boxes, or it could come from a recent bios update as well.