NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

I couldn't find anything either. Only someone reporting RAID 0 for Windows + single disc OSX.

The reason why it can't work right now (from what I recall from what I read in this forum) is:

There is no osx drivers for ich10 raid drivers (and no drivers for gigabyte raid either).

Otherwise, it could have been possible to have a common filesystem (i.e: ICH10R raid0) with windows and osx, as windows manage this raid mode on ICH10R ...

Well, it isn't bad already that one can have an exclusive osx software raid array, otherwise, hardware raid is the best solution (needs a compatible pcie card).

Bought a Zalman CNPS10X, best cooler I found for the price, cpu is 29 degC during normal load to 45 degC max during high load.

Those are great temps. I get 38 degC under normal loads and 48 degC during compiles. I'm running a good heatsink, so I'm wondering if my speedstep information is wrong (i7 870).

What are other's temps like?

Those are great temps. I get 38 degC under normal loads and 48 degC during compiles. I'm running a good heatsink, so I'm wondering if my speedstep information is wrong (i7 870).

What are other's temps like?

I believe it has to do with your pc case temp as well, so don't worry too much about that.

Every single detail influences the final cpu temp like: the flow of air in your box, your number of fans, drives in your case, the gfx card heat dissipation, power supply and other card heat dissipation, the paste you added between the cpu and the sink and how you did it ...

Concerning the speedstep hardware mode, it is hard to tell if it works for you but it should, if you're running native power management, so I believe nothing to worry about right now.

My greatest regret is that we don't have a real cpu-z equivalent tool (there is cpu-x but it seems just to read cpuid info, not real time cpu freq monitoring).

i have the "Gigabyte P55M-UD4" with Firmware F5, does anyone have the right DSDT for that one? i'm quite new to that DSDT stuff, but i get a CMOS-Error on every reboot with the one from tonymacx86.

Have you really renamed that file to dsdt.aml and placed in /Extra directory ?

:angel:

Salve,

con l'hardware in firma non riesco più ad installare in nessun modo SnowLeopard retail che ho originale.

Mi va sempre in Kernel Panic all'avvio del boot . Ho provato di tutto, anche con il cdboot dedicato asus che ho scaricato qui e con vari booloader ecc...

in allegato metto la schermata che mi da.

Qualche buona anima mi sa aiutare ??

Please help me !!!!1 :-(

English version ( by google :-) )

Hello,

with l' hardware in company I more do not succeed to install in no SnowLeopard way retail that I have originates them. It always goes to me in Kernel Panic all' start of the boot. I have tried of all, also with the cdboot dedicated asus that I have unloaded here and with several booloader etc… in attached I put the shielded one that they give to me. Some good spirit knows to me to help?

post-367377-1261602547_thumb.jpg

are you writing in italian?? Si on peut écrire dans une autre langue je vais y aller en français :)

But seriously I think that only english is allowed here. I think there is a translator with google.

By the way you are using the same motherboard than me but I haven't done anything yet. I don't understand a lot of thing here but it seems that it's not stable yet. Could someone confirm the state of the situation with I7 and I5??

Salve,

con l'hardware in firma non riesco più ad installare in nessun modo SnowLeopard retail che ho originale.

Mi va sempre in Kernel Panic all'avvio del boot . Ho provato di tutto, anche con il cdboot dedicato asus che ho scaricato qui e con vari booloader ecc...

I believe it has to do with your pc case temp as well, so don't worry too much about that.

Every single detail influences the final cpu temp like: the flow of air in your box, your number of fans, drives in your case, the gfx card heat dissipation, power supply and other card heat dissipation, the paste you added between the cpu and the sink and how you did it ...

Concerning the speedstep hardware mode, it is hard to tell if it works for you but it should, if you're running native power management, so I believe nothing to worry about right now.

My greatest regret is that we don't have a real cpu-z equivalent tool (there is cpu-x but it seems just to read cpuid info, not real time cpu freq monitoring).

Turned out it was errors in my speedstep setup. I'm now at 26 and 23 (looks like my paste isn't even) for normal and low 40's for load. Here is a link to the geekbench w/out any overclocking for an i7 870 GA-P55-UD5.

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/199516

not much different than the i7 860, though my FSB is reported as 532 MHz and it seems others are reported as 4.80 GHz. Am I missing something?

I have the same problem with my Sata DVD drive. Its at cheap samsung. Did it work connecting it too the gigabyte ports?

No absolutely not. Now that it's on the gigabyte SATA, it's not even detected at all. I have the jmicron kext in my extra's folder. Anybody have a solution to this SATA DVD drive thing?

I'm leaning towards rebuilding my own dsdt completely as maybe the one I downloaded from Tonymac is with a different bios version. I'm also using a SLIC 2.1 patched bios, so don't know if that matters.

Hello,

with l' hardware in company I more do not succeed to install in no SnowLeopard way retail that I have originates them. It always goes to me in Kernel Panic all' start of the boot. I have tried of all, also with the cdboot dedicated asus that I have unloaded here and with several booloader etc… in attached I put the shielded one that they give to me. Some good spirit knows to me to help?

Really sure that this EVOreboot.kext is not the problem ? Have you ever tried to boot without EVOreboot.kext in /Extra folder ? At least, this errors confuse me a bit.

If you get a kernel panic at another step (without EVOreboot) , is it not the same error.

Hi cybergigi,

there's a link here that discuss of everything related to the p7p55d

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1367703

Hope it will help

Salve,

English version ( by google :-) )

Hello,

No absolutely not. Now that it's on the gigabyte SATA, it's not even detected at all. I have the jmicron kext in my extra's folder. Anybody have a solution to this SATA DVD drive thing?

I'm leaning towards rebuilding my own dsdt completely as maybe the one I downloaded from Tonymac is with a different bios version. I'm also using a SLIC 2.1 patched bios, so don't know if that matters.

Ok, I actually have everything working now.

So for those on P55-UD3R with SATA DVD drive, just plug the sata drive into the gigabyte SATA port. In the bios setting, set it so that those ports are read as IDE drives. Once that is done, it should all work without problem. I can even sleep perfectly now, with no KP so far!

All this is with overclocked i5 at 3.4 ghz ram at 2000mhz with temps in low 30s without speedstep.

Most of my info was gathered through tonymac's website. DSDT file was also used from there without modification.

Hope that helps someone.

All this is with overclocked i5 at 3.4 ghz ram at 2000mhz with temps in low 30s without speedstep.

How exactly do you turn off speedstep? Have an i5 overclocked at 3 (on a GA-P55M-UD2) but am not sure if speedstep is off or on. I believe it is on as I have not done anything to turn it off. I followed Tony's guide to set up the system and it is running great otherwise.

I am slightly worried about the temp of my cpu. iStat reads my temp between 40 and 50 depending on my computer activity. Is this too high? What temp should I be shooting for and at what temp should I be worried? I have a i5 750 on a GA-P55M-UD2 overclocked to 3.0 using the stock cooler.

Any suggestions for a better cooler.

How exactly do you turn off speedstep? Have an i5 overclocked at 3 (on a GA-P55M-UD2) but am not sure if speedstep is off or on. I believe it is on as I have not done anything to turn it off. I followed Tony's guide to set up the system and it is running great otherwise.

I am slightly worried about the temp of my cpu. iStat reads my temp between 40 and 50 depending on my computer activity. Is this too high? What temp should I be shooting for and at what temp should I be worried? I have a i5 750 on a GA-P55M-UD2 overclocked to 3.0 using the stock cooler.

Any suggestions for a better cooler.

I'm definitely not an expert at this, but I believe the i5's can go up to 76 C. I'd say idle temps in the 30s should be ok. 40-50 with activity is not too bad if it's not constantly there I think, but as I said I have really limited experience with this.

I have a Noctua cooler that works great and is quiet. I think water based coolers would be better but I wanted something simple. But my idle temps are in low 30s high 20s with clock speed of 3.4 running at 200 blck. I also have two fans directly on the noctua cooler, and then an additional two fans just cm's away pulling more air out. I have a cool master scout case which has pretty good vent.

Also, I spoke to soon in the DVD issue. While sleep works now, when the HDs get put to sleep the DVD drive still goes out. Not sure how to solve that one yet. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Hi guys, sorry to bother you on christmas but I'm really at the end of the rope here... I've got a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, i5 750 and gtx 260 in my setup but the tonymac86's guide simply isn't working, it stops after I've put the snow leopard cd in after booting into chameleon. I see lot's of text passing by on my screen and then the screen just goes blank. No reboot, nothing - it just sits there. I've tried the standard bootcd, the beta bootcd etc. and my settings in BIOS is for AHCI and HPET 64-bit.

The only thing I can think of that could mess this up is that I'm using the cheap "upgrade dvd" that came for leopard users when snow was released - bu then again I've installed on other systems from scratch with that one so it can't be the problem.

Any help as to how to get this working would really make my day - I bought this system to run OS X.

Hi guys, sorry to bother you on christmas but I'm really at the end of the rope here... I've got a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, i5 750 and gtx 260 in my setup but the tonymac86's guide simply isn't working, it stops after I've put the snow leopard cd in after booting into chameleon. I see lot's of text passing by on my screen and then the screen just goes blank. No reboot, nothing - it just sits there. I've tried the standard bootcd, the beta bootcd etc. and my settings in BIOS is for AHCI and HPET 64-bit.

The only thing I can think of that could mess this up is that I'm using the cheap "upgrade dvd" that came for leopard users when snow was released - bu then again I've installed on other systems from scratch with that one so it can't be the problem.

Any help as to how to get this working would really make my day - I bought this system to run OS X.

The upgrade CD would not show that behavior. In case you try to boot directly from retail DVD with 10.6.0 it must fail. Reason is, the kernel of 10.6.0 doesn't support the P55 platform. So you must rip your install DVD to a harddisk or USB disk, replace the mach_kernel with the version of 10.6.2 to be able to boot.

I see lot's of text passing by on my screen and then the screen just goes blank

kexts that chameleon load ?

No reboot is a bit strange.

I bought this system to run OS X
In my case also. But there was no 10.6.2, no announced iMacs with core i7 / core i5 cpus. And I bought it because I believed all Intel cpus are supported that are newer than Core Duo. Was not so nice, but the Aitkos installation with vodoo kernel booted if they wanted to to boot but often times not.

The upgrade CD would not show that behavior. In case you try to boot directly from retail DVD with 10.6.0 it must fail. Reason is, the kernel of 10.6.0 doesn't support the P55 platform. So you must rip your install DVD to a harddisk or USB disk, replace the mach_kernel with the version of 10.6.2 to be able to boot.

But I should not need to burn another dvd if I have the tonymacx86's cd and the snow leopard dvd, right? The guide does not mention this...

kexts that chameleon load ?

No reboot is a bit strange.

In my case also. But there was no 10.6.2, no announced iMacs with core i7 / core i5 cpus. And I bought it because I believed all Intel cpus are supported that are newer than Core Duo. Was not so nice, but the Aitkos installation with vodoo kernel booted if they wanted to to boot but often times not.

I dunno, I guess chameleon loads the kexts from the retail dvd. But from what I've seen here my hardware should be compatible?

Hi,

I noticed that you have the same motherboard as myself, although I have a different processor. I was wondering if you used the DSDT from tony's site and if you were having any problems with your firewire? Using the DSDT from tony's site, I have no stability problems, but the onboard firewire will not work unless the firewire device is turned on and connected at boot. If I use no DSDT or a 'vanilla' DSDT, firewire works as it should. I like the improvements in the modified DSDT, but would like my firewire to work correctly. If you have any insight into this problem, your help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks you!

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/199451

MSI p55-GD65 i7 860 without any overclocking

Hi,

I noticed that you have the same motherboard as myself, although I have a different processor. I was wondering if you used the DSDT from tony's site and if you were having any problems with your firewire? Using the DSDT from tony's site, I have no stability problems, but the onboard firewire will not work unless the firewire device is turned on and connected at boot. If I use no DSDT or a 'vanilla' DSDT, firewire works as it should. I like the improvements in the modified DSDT, but would like my firewire to work correctly. If you have any insight into this problem, your help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks you!

Firewire work without DSDT file ? Removing firewire section from dsdt file should solve the problem too. But unfortunately I don't know the name for that section.

Hi,

thanks you!

Test attached DSDT.aml. I dont have any firewire device but this is my last modified version of dsdt for MSI p55-GD65 (Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB and realtek 889 patch inside)

DSDT.zip

But I should not need to burn another dvd if I have the tonymacx86's cd and the snow leopard dvd, right? The guide does not mention this...

I dunno, I guess chameleon loads the kexts from the retail dvd. But from what I've seen here my hardware should be compatible?

I don't think that it can work to load the right mach_kernel from Tonymacs boot cd, and the rest from retail DVD. But I can't really sure except that there is maybe a trick to do it. I think you will need a 10.6.2 install DVD or you must patch your installation disk.

Ask tonymac self this question. I don't know his boot cds. But I would say it cannot work without kernel-patched installation DVD.

I don't think that it can work to load the right mach_kernel from Tonymacs boot cd, and the rest from retail DVD. But I can't really sure except that there is maybe a trick to do it. I think you will need a 10.6.2 install DVD or you must patch your installation disk.

Ask tonymac self this question. I don't know his boot cds. But I would say it cannot work without kernel-patched installation DVD.

That is really awesome, thank you for this info - it'll help me get a little closer. It does sound strange though, how would one re-install os x with the dvd that comes with the imacs if one has the i5/i7 imac? Is there a guide around to create an install dvd like that? I really wouldn't know what to replace...

It does sound strange though, how would one re-install os x with the dvd that comes with the imacs if one has the i5/i7 imac?

The iMac DVDs are already 10.6.2. :D

If you have a DVD from core i7 / i5 iMac it must start directly from disc.

Is there a guide around to create an install dvd like that? I really wouldn't know what to replace...

It is much harder without an existing Mac. Have you a Mac or maybe a hackintosh ?

If you have a mac, I can tell you how, but if not I don't know.

A guide is maybe somewhere, how to rip the install DVD to another disk, but I can not tell you where.