[SOLVED] Final Cut Pro 6.x crashing on Hackintosh

reaxion

14 posts in this topic

For those out there with the FCP crashing problem, this solution from ihackpro here worked absolutely perfectly for me. Mods, could you sticky this please?

I made some changes to the ihackpro's solution, just to simplify the editing process, but you can see the original post using the link above if you like. I created a new topic so others could find it more easily than I did!

After I edited the plist, rebooted and went into the Network preferences, the system informed me it had detected a new ethernet port and told me to configure it. No need to reboot. Did that and now FCP 6.0.6 starts up without a single problem. Wonderful stuff!

I am using Leopard 10.5.7, so if you're using a non-Leopard OS you may need to upgrade. All credit for this fix goes to ihackpro.

*** Notes ***
First - MAKE A BACKUP of NetworkInterfaces.plist :)
Second - Make a note of your main ethernet settings if you do not know them.

Edit the NetworkInterfaces.plist...

Open a Terminal window (under Applications > Utilities) and type the following:
sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Enter your password when asked.

Look for the <dict> section that contains your ethernet card settings. 

Change these lines:

BSD Name from "en1 or whatever you have" to "en0"

IOInterfaceUnit to "0"

Save the file (use Control O to save) and reboot your machine.

After reboot, go into the Network preferences in your System Preferences and you should be notified that a new ethernet device has been detected, eth0.  Configure this with your normal internet settings and you're done. Launch FCP 6.

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried this method. Strange, but when I reboot my ethernet device has the BSD name "en2" again. :hysterical:

Another workaround for this crashing FC (ver. 6 and 7) is to uninstall everything with the name "qmaster" (use spotlight or the uninstaller attached in this posting).FCS_Remover.dmg

Removing Qmaster isn't advised!

D.

Can't thank you enough !!!

THIS WORKED PERFECTLY !!!!

Many Thanks,

The RocKit Maun :unsure:

For those out there with the FCP crashing problem, this solution from ihackpro here worked absolutely perfectly for me. Mods, could you sticky this please?

I made some changes to the ihackpro's solution, just to simplify the editing process, but you can see the original post using the link above if you like. I created a new topic so others could find it more easily than I did!

After I edited the plist, rebooted and went into the Network preferences, the system informed me it had detected a new ethernet port and told me to configure it. No need to reboot. Did that and now FCP 6.0.6 starts up without a single problem. Wonderful stuff!

I am using Leopard 10.5.7, so if you're using a non-Leopard OS you may need to upgrade. All credit for this fix goes to ihackpro.

*** Notes ***
First - MAKE A BACKUP of NetworkInterfaces.plist :)
Second - Make a note of your main ethernet settings if you do not know them.

Edit the NetworkInterfaces.plist...

Open a Terminal window (under Applications > Utilities) and type the following:
sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Enter your password when asked.

Look for the <dict> section that contains your ethernet card settings. 

Change these lines:

BSD Name from "en1 or whatever you have" to "en0"

IOInterfaceUnit to "0"

Save the file (use Control O to save) and reboot your machine.

After reboot, go into the Network preferences in your System Preferences and you should be notified that a new ethernet device has been detected, eth0.  Configure this with your normal internet settings and you're done. Launch FCP 6.

I've tried this method. Strange, but when I reboot my ethernet device has the BSD name "en2" again. :)

Another workaround for this crashing FC (ver. 6 and 7) is to uninstall everything with the name "qmaster" (use spotlight or the uninstaller attached in this posting).FCS_Remover.dmg

That did it for me and Final Cut Pro 7. Thank you very much !

I've tried this method. Strange, but when I reboot my ethernet device has the BSD name "en2" again. ;)

Hey, I had your problem too, however your solution worked like a charm! Thanks a lottttt! :D

Anyways, anyone still having this problem should download FCS removed attached above, select only Qmaster and reboot when ready.

I've tried this method. Strange, but when I reboot my ethernet device has the BSD name "en2" again. :mellow:

It worked for me too (FCP 7) Thanks!!!

Removing Qmaster isn't advised!

D.

Thats very true if you have more Macs for sharing resources when rendering movies. At least I've got it with the "clean" method (change bsd name to en0) - but removing qmaster is ok for the most of us, because there never will be a big fc/compressor project with the need for a rendering farm :rolleyes:

your solution worked like a charm!

Thats not a solution, thats a quick and dirty workaround, I found somewhere in the net. The real pro-solution is to change the bsd name.

• 2 months later...
Thats very true if you have more Macs for sharing resources when rendering movies. At least I've got it with the "clean" method (change bsd name to en0) - but removing qmaster is ok for the most of us, because there never will be a big fc/compressor project with the need for a rendering farm ;)

Thats not a solution, thats a quick and dirty workaround, I found somewhere in the net. The real pro-solution is to change the bsd name.

I have an netgear wireless card that is on en2, changing it to en0 makes it not work anymore.

how do I make FCP run and also have my netgear card work also?