No More Small 6 GIG

Braveheart

26 posts in this topic

NO MORE 6GIG

First the hardware and software.

Hardware

PC with lots of free drive space.That’s it.

Obviously you need a PC with all the specs required. Get a list From wiki.osx86project.org

Software

Partition Magic or something similar to free up drive space.

DD for Windows.

WinRar, (Most Recent Version is a Must)

Darwin install CD.

Ubuntu Live CD.

And of Coarse Deadmoo IMG.

The Plan

We use Partiton magic or whatever first to free up the space we need.

We Use Windows Diskpart or Ubuntu, to Partition your Drive.

Do your maths , Basically we are going to split the drive in three initially,Then Back to two (Read On)

Install OSx on the middle partition(6 Gig) .(Remembering this is going back to windows eventually.)

Then install Darwin on the end Partition.

Get OSx to work then back it up with the disk utility software to the Darwin Partition.

Shut down, reboot to windows, Delete the 6 gig partition, then give it back to windows with Partition magic or Windows.

Then reboot again but this time into your new third partition which is now your backed up 2nd partition but with more space.

So split your Drive accordingly.(Remembering the 6Gig is going back to windows.)

Lets Go

Partition your Drive

Boot Windows

Get command prompt

Type Diskpart

Type list disk

Select the disk by Typing select disk 0 or whichever disk you want

If you only have one drive it is disk 0

Now we do the partitioning

Type create partition primary size=6660 id=af

Wait!

Type create partition primary id=af

Wait!

Now the Partitioning is Done. To Check right click on my computer and click manage then disk management. You should see three healthy partitions. (Windows) (6gig AF) (Your Chosen sized AF)

Reboot for safe Measure….

Copy your image.

Now you must DD your tiger IMG from windows to Your Middle 6gig partition.

Unrar the tiger image to your C Drive. C:

Unrar DD to the Same Place C Drive. C:

Go to command prompt

This is what you must Type Most Important……

C:

If=tiger-x86-flat.img of-\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 bs=512 skip=63

Wait for a while anything from 15 min two 1 hour.

This has now installed OSx86 on you middle Partition.

Use instructions on OSx86 Project for Duel boot easy stuff Chain0 thingy

Now that this is done you must boot into Tiger and get it running as you like it.

Lots of tips and tricks on osx86 project.

Reboot and insert Darwin CD and install On third Partition.

Assuming you have downloaded and unrared Darwin.

Burn it to disk with Nero or something along them lines as long as you can burn an ISO.

Now boot with Darwin and install it on the third partition.

Its really easy it helps you along the way. Just read instructions as you go.

Darwin is a non graphical interface as far as I can gather when its installed you get a boot prompt but that’s all you need. type reboot.

Now Reboot into OSx86 and Restore Image from 6gig to Darwin Partition

East but time consuming.

Basicaly when you boot back to OSx there is your new drive.

Now click Finder. Then Applications. Then Utilities, Disk Utility,

Then do a disk restore from your 6 gig to you New third Darwin Partition.

It Takes ages but it basically copys all your mac stuff to the Darwin drive which already has a boot partition.

Now we must Delete the 6gig partition.

When this is done there is only one more important step we must take.

You now have Two bootable Mac drives and one windows.

The thing is when you try to boot into your new Mac partition it always boots into the 6 gig image.

Easy get rid of it and give the drive space back to windows.

To do this boot back into Windows or Ubuntu don’t boot into Mac.

When your in Windows use either Partition Magic or the windows Built in software.Or Ubuntu.

The Windows Way is (Right click on my computer and click manage, then disk management.

Delete the 6gig partition then create it again but this time NTFS.

Everyone take note

There may be a little partition between Windows and Mac mine was 7.8meg. DO NOT DELETE THIS. LIKE I DID ONCE, AND LOST MY MAC BOOT PARTITION INFO, FOR MY THIRD PARTITION ,I THINK THAT’S WHAT HAPPENED. I WAS GETTING CHAIN BOOT ERRORS I CAN NOT SAY THIS IS DEFINATLY WHAT IT WAS BUT IM 99.9% SURE IT WAS Bad move my reckoning is it was some sort of boot info for Mac cause I was getting Chain boot error no mater what i did.

Since reformatted and not made that mistake again.

But no worries we live and learn i now know how to get a full sized mac on the end of my drive. Here we go again...

Moral is if you see a small partition between windows and mac Leave it be...

If anyone has any probs let me know and maybe me or someone else can help.

Ubuntu is Easy just use cfdisk....

Nice guid braveheart. Thank you! I get hung up on the fallowing step. I dont know whether or not it's my partition placement or the command is wrong.

I have already created the first AF type 6gig partition (middle) and the 3rd remaining AF type partition which both are visible in Partitionmagic. Both listed as Type AF.

Here is the output in dos when I enter the fallowing command:

Command:

Output:

of-\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 was unexpected at this time.

More info:

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
 -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
 Partition 1    Primary             10 GB    32 KB
 Partition 2    Unknown           6668 MB    10 GB
 Partition 3    Unknown             22 GB    16 GB

Am I doing this correctly?

Greets!

Nice guid braveheart. Thank you! I get hung up on the fallowing step. I dont know whether or not it's my partition placement or the command is wrong.

I have already created the first AF type 6gig partition (middle) and the 3rd remaining AF type partition which both are visible in Partitionmagic. Both listed as Type AF.

Here is the output in dos when I enter the fallowing command:

Command:

Output:

of-\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 was unexpected at this time.

More info:

DISKPART> select disk 0

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
 -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
 Partition 1    Primary             10 GB    32 KB
 Partition 2    Unknown           6668 MB    10 GB
 Partition 3    Unknown             22 GB    16 GB

Am I doing this correctly?

Greets!

How do i msn you

hi everyone,

I am trying to burn the darwin install cd but, i do not understand how to get an iso, because when i download it from the mac site i get a iso.gz.

And can i use the latest darwin install cd or do i need an earlier version?

thanks

Francis

hi everyone,

I am trying to burn the darwin install cd but, i do not understand how to get an iso, because when i download it from the mac site i get a iso.gz.

And can i use the latest darwin install cd or do i need an earlier version?

thanks

Francis

you can use the revision 1 of benders dvd to use diks utility to install on a partition of any size

Braveheart, I have everything set up correctly as you specified in your guide, but when I try to install Darwin 8.01, it says "Still waiting on root device" any ideas? Also, my msn username is paull2k1@yahoo.com, would be great if you could help me out with all these troubles. Thanks.

Braveheart, I have everything set up correctly as you specified in your guide, but when I try to install Darwin 8.01, it says "Still waiting on root device" any ideas? Also, my msn username is paull2k1@yahoo.com, would be great if you could help me out with all these troubles. Thanks.

Just curious why everyone is using the deadmoo image.

I started out with that...

But if you look hard enough you can find the actual developer DVD and the patch to make it run on the PC...

That makes the whole finding ways around the 6GB point totally moot.

Just make sure you use a REAL partition program like Acronis to partition the drive, then like Disk Utility format the drive during the install. I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all - I just installed it for my first time yesterday and then installed the DVD today...

It just seems like the "easiest" way to get a full HD is to use the DVD?

But if you look hard enough you can find the actual developer DVD and the patch to make it run on the PC...

Just make sure you use a REAL partition program like Acronis to partition the drive, then like Disk Utility format the drive during the install. I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all - I just installed it for my first time yesterday and then installed the DVD today...

Ok, question for you then, where would I obtain the patch to make it work on native hardware? The install DVD I'll have no trouble finding at all.

As for the Partition program, I've been using Acronis Disk Director for a few years now, ever since Partition Magic messed up my hard disk badly years back. And exactly what actions did you take in Acronis to partition the drive for mac standards?

Ok, question for you then, where would I obtain the patch to make it work on native hardware? The install DVD I'll have no trouble finding at all.

As for the Partition program, I've been using Acronis Disk Director for a few years now, ever since Partition Magic messed up my hard disk badly years back. And exactly what actions did you take in Acronis to partition the drive for mac standards?

All that you need to do is search on one of the big torrent directories for the patch. Its RAR'd and its version 3 if I remember correctly.

As for the program, just run Acronic Disk Director to clear out the drive and leave it unpartitioned. Boot into the DVD and use the Disk Utility to create the necessary partition and to format it.

It works like a charm as long as you have the spare drive.

Just a note though, some of the kexts (such as AppleAC97Audio) aren't included on the Developer DVD. I had to find them on here... though it seems as though the Darwin CD has it? I didn't realize there WAS a Darwin CD until today. Now I'll just have to find that.

Okay, forget about what I said earlier. Turns out I didn't really even need the install DVD iso at all. Eventually after much searching around on forums, and on OSx86 Project Wiki, I had found out that it's possible to use VMWare to write to physical hard disks, while I had known this for a while, it had slipped my mind until I recently discovered it again, I basically just wrote Darwin to my second physical drive, after which I dd'd the tiger-x86.img file as per usual to my second partition of my first hard disk, then copied the files over to the Darwin partition, and voila, it worked! All is now finally well at last!

EDIT: If anyone would like to know how I got it to work, then go here and view my topic as to how all this was accomplished.

Finally, just now finishing up the OS X install dvd torrent, but now another questions, which guide did you use for installing OS X natively?

I made one for some friends but decided to give it to every one. It has step by step info on the install as well as pics. Also has some kexts you will need to install sound and the Airport2.kext for wirless networking.

Has a links to get wireless adapter and to see if yours will work. Has some software to find the info you need but its for windows like the device id for the sound.

[Link removed to comply with DMCA]

Just unzip and click on mainmenu.html

hope this helps

I am always seeding this.

Edited by 0uch!p0tat0

I found an easier way.

Download RsyncX

Synchronize your 6GB to another (bigger) partition and click "Source is bootable" when doing the sync. Then I rebooted and got a carbon copy of my disk, now with 24 Gigs available.

Is it safe?

http://archive.macosxlabs.org/rsyncx/rsyncx.html

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16814

RsyncX ReviewUnreliable and dangerous - Version: 2.1, 8/17/2005 03:53PM PST

amake (Aaron Madlon-Kay)

The version of rsync bundled with RsyncX has serious flaws. In certain circumstances, which are not fully known, it can freak out and fill log files with garbage until your hard drive is completely full. In older versions of OS X, all user preferences were wiped out if the boot disk got full, so I think it's reasonable to call this problem "dangerous."

There have been repeated questions in the RsyncX forums about this issue, and the developer has said absolutely nothing about it for about a year. This is completely unacceptable.

The version of rsync that ships with Tiger is, as of 10.4.2, horribly buggy. As soon as it is fixed I recommend moving away from RsyncX.

Post a commentAlert Admin

RsyncX ReviewBest backup solution for unix geeks on MacOS X - Version: 2.1, 6/18/2005 01:05AM PST

zeroeye

I spent a lot of time evaluating backup software for MacOS X. But none of them fit my needs. I just wanted to backup/sync my home-directory to an external drive. But all of the backup software has problems with the 10 GB size of my home or was on any other way not useful. Then I found out that the rsync-command line tool is pre-installed on every mac. Fast, reliable, powerful and best configurable - for unix geeks. The problem was, that rsync does not copy ressource-forks or crator types, just the plain files. But with rsyncX installed it works, with a little modification of the rsync-command. Here is an example of my command, doing everything I want:<br><i>

time rsync -a --ignore-errors --delete-excluded --delete --force --stats --progress --exclude-from=$EXCLUDES -e ssh $SOURCEDIR $BACKUPDIR --eahfs --showtogo;<br><br></i>

And there are much more options. See rsync manpage.

I also tried the rsyncX GUI. It's okay. Does not offer all of the rsync options but does its job. I'm thankful that rsyncX enables me to use the command-tool rsync in the way it is needed on a Mac.

Post a commentAlert Admin

• 1 month later...

why oh why :'( I went thru the whole guide, everything was going fine, i had my 6Gb part working, and my darwin part working, and i restored the 6GB onto the darwin 30GB, and it showed up in startup disks, i rebooted just to make sure everything was still fine, booted right into the 6GB like the guide says, so then went on to the final step, back into windows, erased the 6GB, created a NTFS partition in its place, rebooted with big grin on my face "FiNALLY!"---- nothing. I select "Mac OS X86" in the bootloader menu, and it just sits there, black screen, blinking white cursor topleft. WHY :'(

EDIT: I can't get it to work, i Tried again, same result. i treid again this time from my 6GB, used RsyncX to clone everything over and make it bootable, same reult. it just hangs at the black screen with white cursor blinking top left when i try ot boot it.. thiis driving me nuts- i NEED more than 6GBs damnit.

NO MORE 6GIG

Lets Go

Partition your Drive

Boot Windows

Get command prompt

Type Diskpart

Type list disk

Select the disk by Typing select disk 0 or whichever disk you want

If you only have one drive it is disk 0

Now we do the partitioning

Type create partition primary size=6660 id=af

Wait!

Type create partition primary id=af

Wait!

Hi Braveheart,

I am having a trouble. Initially I had a free space of 26GB in my hard drive. From windows, using diskpart, I created a ~7GB partition where now 'deadmoo' is installed. Next, as you said, I tried to create an 'af' type partition by typing 'create partition primary id=af' from diskpart. Diskpart keeps complaining that it is unable to do so. In fact, I can not create any type of partition from this 19GB unallocated space. Neither partition magic, nor acronis disk suite nor cfdisk is able to create any partition from it. The 26GB space was intially allocated to windows. I resized it and then used diskpart, as mentioned above. This is the output from diskpart :

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 56 GB 19 GB

Disk 1 Online 149 GB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset

------------- ---------------- ------- -------

Partition 1 Primary 20 GB 32 KB -------> This is Windows

Partition 2 Unknown 1020 MB 20 GB --------> This is Linux swap

Partition 3 Unknown 10 GB 21 GB ---------> This is Linux(Ubuntu)

Partition 4 Unknown 6668 MB 30 GB ---------> This is deadmoo

DISKPART> create partition primary id=af

DiskPart was unable to create the specified partition.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

unplug ALL USB devices. Possibly disable USB in the BIOS settings. This fixed problems I have had with a blinking cursor

why oh why :'( I went thru the whole guide, everything was going fine, i had my 6Gb part working, and my darwin part working, and i restored the 6GB onto the darwin 30GB, and it showed up in startup disks, i rebooted just to make sure everything was still fine, booted right into the 6GB like the guide says, so then went on to the final step, back into windows, erased the 6GB, created a NTFS partition in its place, rebooted with big grin on my face "FiNALLY!"---- nothing. I select "Mac OS X86" in the bootloader menu, and it just sits there, black screen, blinking white cursor topleft. WHY :'(

EDIT: I can't get it to work, i Tried again, same result. i treid again this time from my 6GB, used RsyncX to clone everything over and make it bootable, same reult. it just hangs at the black screen with white cursor blinking top left when i try ot boot it.. thiis driving me nuts- i NEED more than 6GBs damnit.

unplug ALL USB devices. Possibly disable USB in the BIOS settings. This fixed problems I have had with a blinking cursor: this post originally showed up in another thread. (Somehow)

@Braveheart

I've done exactly according to your how-to and was able to boot into the large partition before reformatting the 6gig partition.

But after reformatting the 6gig partition i could not boot into mac os x86 ("chain booting error").

What went wrong?

• 2 weeks later...