Perpetual OS X Installation

5 posts in this topic

Having made the mistake of installing SU 2006-003 i restarted my mac to discover it hangs at the login screen. Followed various suggestions at the Apple Discusions (booted into safe more and removed startup/login item and reparied permissions/verified disk) all to no avail.

So i decided to re-install OS X using the Archive and Install method to preserve my user account settings and software apps (hopefully). Installation procedes well until it reaches the iWeb Application Installer Script (2 minutes to go) whereupon it hangs and does nothing. Restart the machine and installation recommences again proceding to the same point and hanging again. I can't find anyway to terminate the installer - when i eject the disk the installer closes, launches again and demands i re-insert the disk.

As of now i'm running the installer in safe mode but if that doesn't work i don't know what to do. I figure if i can get into the system and pull my mp3's off (there the only things of value on the system) i will try re-installing from scratch.

Having made the mistake of installing SU 2006-003 i restarted my mac to discover it hangs at the login screen. Followed various suggestions at the Apple Discusions (booted into safe more and removed startup/login item and reparied permissions/verified disk) all to no avail.

So i decided to re-install OS X using the Archive and Install method to preserve my user account settings and software apps (hopefully). Installation procedes well until it reaches the iWeb Application Installer Script (2 minutes to go) whereupon it hangs and does nothing. Restart the machine and installation recommences again proceding to the same point and hanging again. I can't find anyway to terminate the installer - when i eject the disk the installer closes, launches again and demands i re-insert the disk.

As of now i'm running the installer in safe mode but if that doesn't work i don't know what to do. I figure if i can get into the system and pull my mp3's off (there the only things of value on the system) i will try re-installing from scratch.

Exact same problem here. Was trying to reinstall using Archive and Install and am now in a perpetual "no boot" cycle, with hang at "running iWeb application installer script" - has anyone figured out how to get past this?

Got into the same problem last night using Archive and Install.

I solved it by booting into the DVD (select Startup Disk in System Preferences while in Installer) and doing an upgrade install. The Upgrade Install allows you to customise the install and I removed iWeb (and several other things) before I let it proceed on its way...

(Once I rebooted, iWeb 1.1 was already installed and waiting for me, and all my precious MP3s were safe)...