CharredPC's Acer Extensa 5620 Hot Rod Project

CharredPC

81 posts in this topic

Hey Charred:

How did the upgrade to SL work? I am running the same configuration as you and have most things working. The only real annoyance is the internal mic isn't recognized. I am running VoodooHDA.

I am running triple-boot SL 10.6.4-Win7-Ubuntu 10.04.

I think my next mod will be an SSD drive. It would be nice to have it along with my 750GB internal.

Hey Charred:

How did the upgrade to SL work? I am running the same configuration as you and have most things working. The only real annoyance is the internal mic isn't recognized. I am running VoodooHDA.

I am running triple-boot SL 10.6.4-Win7-Ubuntu 10.04.

I think my next mod will be an SSD drive. It would be nice to have it along with my 750GB internal.

The only real problem in SL now is... audio! I hate VoodooHDA. It has the internal mic problem, but also is totally useless after sleep for me as well. I'm working with Slice to get an alternate solution working, and will update here once we finalize a solution.

If the SSD drive were small enough, it might even fit inside the 5620 casing (where the MXM card goes in different models). There's even another SATA port to tap into on our boards... maybe once I have the money I'll make that another project :)

The only upgrade I haven't done is the LCD. If I remember correctly, yours works under Windows 7 as well as OSX. I would want to make sure it works under Ubuntu as well prior to making the change. I need all three.

I don't think there has been any further development of the Voodoo driver since Apr '09. I have been using a Griffin iMic that is plug and play with SL for my sound solution.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know that it's an old thread, but it's a bible for extensa owner.

I have a problem with your dsdt 3.2, display go out of range but with the previous version of dsdt works very well.

Can you help me, what's the matter?

Where i can find custom bios 1.36?

Thank you.

P.s. Sorry for my poor english.

• 1 year later...

Hey all! Blast from the past, huh? Just wanted to bring a conclusion to this thread (not that it needed one, but... :)  ); the hot-rod Acertosh finally gave up the ghost a little while back. I never determined exactly what the cause death was other than it was an electrical surge to the motherboard. With many things going on in my life at the time, I grudgingly retired the project and moved on. If anyone still has one of these and has followed the progress here, I've kept most of the parts since so much work and documentation went into them (screen assembly with iSight webcam replacement / modded dual-link cable / high res LCD; extended battery; higher-amp charger; etc). 

It was a lot of fun rereading this years later and made me miss helping pioneer these hacks. Hopefully I'll have the time and money for similar projects in the future!