Hackintosh for AMD

Matt K.

4 posts in this topic

There have been some rumours floating about recently regarding OSx86 available on AMD hardware. Does anyone have any further information available about this - like, say, what builds (iDeneb, iATKOS, etc.) support it?

Here is my current system configuration:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53GHz)

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (256 MB)

512 MB RAM

80GB hard drive

Samsung CD-RW / DVD-ROM

TP-Link USB Wireless Adapter Dongle

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04, but I can always reformat and install Windows XP Home again, in the name of eventually making this aging computer into a Hackintosh.

So what do you guys think? Hackintosh-worthy or no? And if so, what build (and drivers) should I download? Thanks in advance!

Ah, then I'll just use Ubuntu with Mac4Lin to give it the appearance of Mac OS X... ;)

It won't work on your machine; Athlon XP processors are not SSE2 compatible and you need at least this.

In general, when it comes to trying on an AMD there are really three questions:

(1) Can you find a distro that will boot on your hardware? It may not boot from your internal IDE optical drive as is. You may have to buy an IDE-SATA adapter and change it from the IDE controller to the SATA controller (if you have one on your motherboard). You may have to buy an external USB optical drive to boot off if your motherboard is capable of it. You may have to change the jumper settings on your internal IDE drive from cable select to master/slave.

(2) If you do get it to boot, can you get it to install? Do your mouse and keyboard work when the installer has started? If not you may need to either get a PS/2 -> USB adapter cable or replace both with native USB devices. Running AMD, you'll have to chose the Voodoo 9.5 kernal and seatbelt fix (and possible the ACPI fix). You'll also likely have to use a SATA internal hard drive in ACHI mode (not IDE) in the BIOS. Only choose one of each sort of thing. You'll need to know all the details about your system's motherboard - brand and model of north/south bridge chips, video card, sound circuitry, and so on.

(3) Once it's installed, can you get it to be stable? For instance, I've got iDeneb 10.5.6 to where it installs reliably on my AMD phenom. However, it seems to kernal panic overnight with the screen saver running. I'm trying to stop it from doing that.

In general, a hackintosh install on an intel processor machine with Asus or Gigabyte mainboards and Geforce 9000 series graphics is easier and much less trouble than on an AMD.

Nevertheless it's still possible on an amd as this post illustrates (AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core @ 2.6, MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard, ATI Radeon 4850, 4 gigs of RAM, 1tb SATA hard drive, iDeneb 10.5.6).

I'd recommend trying the following installations:

iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6)

Lawless

iPC if the above two don't do it for you