Ati X1550 Adventures, 0x7183 Working QE/CI

Nividica

34 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I installed the two kexts, ATINDRV & ATIRadeonx1000 provided by nvidica, cleared cache, rebuilt permissions and everything. Still nothing. Running a 0x7183 1002. I had already removed all the other ati kexts so i'm just running the x1000 kext. No resolution change... I used kexthelper so i'm not sure if it did everything properly. In advanced mode it's script seemed to do everything.

(deleted stupid question)

I have an X1300 'PRO', not a 1550... which I think might be part of it. I think I read it only works on VGA not DVI?

Anyone? Thanks in advance... i'm probably missing something tiny, and need a brain reset.

Have you installed lspci and read the output? Have you tried booting with -v -f?

According to this site http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002 device id 7187 (which nvidica replaced) corresponds to:

RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]

Maybe you can try to replace 7142 instead (RV515 PRO [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]) in the ATIRadeon1000X.kext plist and binary, and see if it works.

Just for fun (not that fun really, when it's not working...) I tried the 7142 and 7146 on my card today, but none of them worked. The 7187 is working for me but I still don't have the correct colors, might depend on that my card uses the newer RV505 CE. Tried Sphyrna and Wormy as well. Wormy didn't work at all but Sphyrna gave me somewhat better colors I think. I see that there are 7 different framebuffers in ATINDRV.kext, which else could I test?

Hey guys,

I installed the two kexts, ATINDRV & ATIRadeonx1000 provided by nvidica, cleared cache, rebuilt permissions and everything. Still nothing. Running a 0x7183 1002. I had already removed all the other ati kexts so i'm just running the x1000 kext. No resolution change... I used kexthelper so i'm not sure if it did everything properly. In advanced mode it's script seemed to do everything.

(deleted stupid question)

I have an X1300 'PRO', not a 1550... which I think might be part of it. I think I read it only works on VGA not DVI?

Anyone? Thanks in advance... i'm probably missing something tiny, and need a brain reset.

Hmm, you know its strange you should mention the pro thing. Im almost positive thats why i cant get my dual monitor setup to do squat. My primary says 1300/1500, but my secondary(DVI) says 1300 Pro. I have decited just to let that one go, lol.

But hey, if you dont have them get lspci or OSx86 Tools and get your device id's. If you are wanting to use the DVI port we will have to match it up to a diffrent ID and framebuffer. Im pretty sure that Carreta is just for the VGA (as using it with my DVI got a total crash) so we will have to figure that out last.

First steps are to get QE/CI working, then go for resolutions, as resolution first tend to hinder the QE/CI process.

Checklist:

> Remove any injectors if you have them (probably Natit as it just works for our cards)

> Run LSPCI and get your card id's

> Post the ID's here and ill insert them for you, or if you know how to insert them go for it.

For QE/CI:

> Do the above, then move ATIRNDRV out of the extensions folder, well use it later

> Make sure the ID's have been replaced in the X1000.kext

> Make sure the permissions are correct

> Clear out the extension cache and touch the extensions folder (OSxTools is great for this one)

> Reboot with the -v -f options

You should notice when its working that the output that says something like "Display family matching = X" will be a higher number (indicating how many features your card supports)

Like my highest is 7, which is framebuffer, mouse, QE, CI, Rotation, AA, ect.

Once you get QE/CI working we can try to figure out which framebuffer architecture your card uses and get some resolutions.

All im certain about with the framebuffer and having to replace the forward ID in the X1000 kext (aka replaceing 71c0 with 7183(my ID) along with the backwards c071 and 8371) is that it allows the blessed frame buffer to communicate with the acceleration architecture (the same way the catalyst controler in windoze does) to set up the more advanced stuff (which includes hardware accelerated resolutions!)

Bah, enough jabber! Get those ID's and let me know if you want VGA or DVI out and ill see what i can do for you :D

Have you installed lspci and read the output? Have you tried booting with -v -f?

According to this site http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002 device id 7187 (which nvidica replaced) corresponds to:

RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]

Maybe you can try to replace 7142 instead (RV515 PRO [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]) in the ATIRadeon1000X.kext plist and binary, and see if it works.

Just for fun (not that fun really, when it's not working...) I tried the 7142 and 7146 on my card today, but none of them worked. The 7187 is working for me but I still don't have the correct colors, might depend on that my card uses the newer RV505 CE. Tried Sphyrna and Wormy as well. Wormy didn't work at all but Sphyrna gave me somewhat better colors I think. I see that there are 7 different framebuffers in ATINDRV.kext, which else could I test?

Honestly olav, which framebuffer to use seems to have no logical meaning. I have NO idea why mine works so well with carretta. I dont see what the word carretta has anything to do with my card.

It's just trial and error at this point. Maybe it will make since one day.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

I got problems with the exact same ID...

I had it working in 10.5.4, but it suddenly stopped when i updated to 10.5.7...

I don't even understand half of whats written in this threat, so is it possible that you could do a easy step-guide on how to make it work? :D

Thanks!

Kresh

Thanks for all the help guys! I was just gonna get a new card but I hate to see good metal go to waste. I'll investigate and report back! Pro appears to be the problem alright, but system profiler won't differentiate.

Hey!

I got problems with the exact same ID...

I had it working in 10.5.4, but it suddenly stopped when i updated to 10.5.7...

I don't even understand half of whats written in this threat, so is it possible that you could do a easy step-guide on how to make it work? :P

Thanks!

Kresh

KaptenKresh, if you're having driver problems on 10.5.7, try the ATI1300 kext off the iDeneb 1.5.1 disk. Funnily, it's the only one that worked for me. I spent a whole day trying kexts and efi and this was the ticket. Weird, huh?! no QE/CI though.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright update!

I've now completely reinstalled my computer, and I'm now using iAtkos v7, working great except for the graphics...

With the ATINDRV.kext i get the right resolution, but, when i install your ATIRadeonX1000.kext, everything just turns white and black when i boot I get into the OS, but i cant do anything, because the windows are just white with black frames... I guess QE/CI is enabled tho...

The thing that annoys me the most although is:

I HAD IT WORKING YESTERDAY

When i first tried this yesterday i just got the usual white screen, but after a while it randomly started to work with the ATIRadeonX1000.kext, very odd! Although i had to reinstall the OS because of update problems, and when i install it again, i'm back with the problems... I can't see what i did to make it work yesterday...

Please help me now :( Why is the screen white? I'm so mad at this {censored} right now...

Thanks!

Kresh

I'm gona try this today

i have x1650XT, everything work but i can't get resolution more than 1024x786 in Monitors...

but i mod boot and get 1400x1050 max(1280x1024 and so on) like driver supports only 4:3 mode not 16:10

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...
(First Topic Yay!)

Well, I'll start out by saying this site has been nothing but uber-helpfull in my quest to get my issues sorted out.

EDIT: I now have QE/CI/Resolutions working on my AtiX1550, ID: 0x7183. Read on from post #4 to see how I did it and those who helped me :thanks_speechbubble:

FILE: ATIRadeonX1000.kext

FILE: ATINDRV.kext

So, my current issue: QE/CI on my graphics card. (I'll post all the specs at the bottom)

I have been at this for days now, and every-time I think I've found the solution, I am thwarted yet again.

--Change Log--

• First I installed OSX.
    • GFX: Some resolution options, no QE/CI/GL

[*]Installed OSX86Tools, turned on GL

• I *think* GL works, untested

[*]Modifying my info.plist in the ATIRadeonX1000.kext

• Nothing, just an extra kext loaded

[*]Removed ATINDRV.kext

• One resolution, super slow redraw

[*]Added the ATINDRV.kext back

• Still only one resolution, redraw back to normal

[*]Downloaded and tested several modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext

• Most no changes, some kernal panic

[*]Downloaded NATIT

• Tons of resolutions, fastest redraw rate yet, and color profile support

[*]Downloaded NatitX1300

• Conflict with ATIRadeonX1000.kext

[*]Removed ATIRadeonX1000.kext

• Back to pre conflict state, rotation now supported

[*]Modified the ATIRadeonX1000 HEX file with my device code as suggested in topic 148374

• Boot time kernal panic

[*]Removed all injectors

• Still kernal panics

[*]Removed ATIRadeonX1000.kext

• Back to 1 resolution

[*]Downloaded Natit_auto as suggested in topic 169456 (ty super_engine)

• The resolutions,rotation,color profiling again

[*]Added back in the original ATIRadeonX1000.kext

• No Changes

End Result:

Supported: GL/Resolutions/Color Profile/Rotation

UnSupported:QE/CI

--End Change Log--

:)

Ok so by this point I have read hundreds of forum posts, restarted my system more times than I care to count, not once did i have QE or CI,and Im just overall pissed at my gfx card. I have full faith that it can be done, but I have ran to into a wall with my skills.

The recommendation in the 169456 topic really gives me hope. Looking through the kext it is very well laid out, and it shows in the boot log finding and linking to my chipset. Im just worried that with all the crazy changes I've done I'm somehow keeping it from working properly. Not to mention it certainly seems the least complicated solution.

Im reaching out to the community to help get me through this one. So if anyone has any ideas on how to get QE/CI to work I will be forever grateful.

System Specs:

Computer Model: OEM Hp Pavilion a1010n

BIOS Settings: Primary Adapter: PCI

GFX Card: Visontek ATI X1550

OSX:iDeneb 1.5.5

System Profiler Report:

ATI Radeon X1300 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon X1300 Series

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x1

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7183

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

EDIT: Added OS build

EDIT: Added link to the 169456 and 148374 topics

That's awesome that you got it to work! I read through all the posts and here is my info:

ATI x1550

Resolution: 1024 x 768 <------------ I would really like to have 1280x1024 resolution

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Video Output: DVI (no VGA)

I am also under the impression that mouse tearing is when the cursor flickers and leaves behind a patch wherever it was before being refreshed. If this is true then Yes i have mouse tearing and would like to get rid of it. I read that you were able to fix yours.I installed the kexts (ATIRadeonX1000.kext and ATINDRV.kext) that you attached in the edit of your first post and I didn't edit them myself. Do i have to edit anything myself to remove the mouse tearing?

I would really appreciate your help, and thanks a lot for all the information that you have posted so far! Everything has been very helpful!

That's awesome that you got it to work! I read through all the posts and here is my info:

ATI x1550

Resolution: 1024 x 768 <------------ I would really like to have 1280x1024 resolution

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Video Output: DVI (no VGA)

I am also under the impression that mouse tearing is when the cursor flickers and leaves behind a patch wherever it was before being refreshed. If this is true then Yes i have mouse tearing and would like to get rid of it. I read that you were able to fix yours.I installed the kexts (ATIRadeonX1000.kext and ATINDRV.kext) that you attached in the edit of your first post and I didn't edit them myself. Do i have to edit anything myself to remove the mouse tearing?

I would really appreciate your help, and thanks a lot for all the information that you have posted so far! Everything has been very helpful!

Hmm, it sounds like the frame buffer my card uses, Caretta, isn't working out for you. There is a great deal of mystery surrounding what card uses what framebuffer(2D acceleration), even in cards that share IDs. I would recomend putting the orriginal ATINDRV.kext back in, and try out an injector, Natit seems to work best for the non-HD ATI cards (such as ours).

After installing Natit, and if you have working resolutions, and your mouse tearing stops, you can consider not using Natit, and loading the frame buffer yourself. Honestly I don't know the pros/cons of using an injector, so if it works and your happy, leave the injector there!

I just happended to know my framebuffer ahead of time, so I just enabled it.

Let me know if restoring atindrv and using natit works out for you.

PS:If u have used osx86Tool to enable GL support, and u still have problems try disableing it, from what I've read it doesn't have many-if any beenefits, but can cause problems.