• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Tiburon

Tiburon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
So I've decided my next computer will be a Mac, I've fallen in love with OS X.

I've been looking at the iMac, Mini and MacBook, with the ocasional glance at the 12" PB G4

Right now, I have:

P4 Desktop (I use it mainly for testing stuff)
-
2.8 Ghz
352 MB Ram
ATI 9700 Pro

AMD64 Laptop (used mainly for school, so all the time)
-
Mobile 3400+ (2.2 ghz)
1 GB Ram
ATI Mobility 9600

What I'm looking to be able to do:
Lots of web browsing
Instant Messaging
Maybe a bit of web page/graphic design
Audio Editing (Audacity)
Photo editing (Using iPhoto/Gimp/Photoshop for example)
Making (Somewhat) Simple Movies
Ocassional game

What would you suggest being that I don't want to spend through the roof but also don't want to have to buy another computer in 1-2 years.

Also, what are your thoughts on things like AppleCare? (I havent had the best experience with best buy service plans)

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
I would HIGHLY recommend getting the iMac. It has an upgradable processor, so it should last you a while. I'm saving for one of these beauties.
As for Applecare, don't get me started. I have had TERRIBLE experiences with them. Save yourself the $170 and don't get it.

jgrimes80

jgrimes80

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
The Mini should be adequate for you, but the iMac is always ideal...

holden caulfield

holden caulfield

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the iMac. It has an upgradable processor, so it should last you a while. I'm saving for one of these beauties.
As for Applecare, don't get me started. I have had TERRIBLE experiences with them. Save yourself the $170 and don't get it.

woah.. upgradable processor??? I wasn't aware! I didn't think that was even possible...

A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose

Proud PPC User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
If you use anything from Adobe, you'll need a PowerPC Mac until sometime next year.

For everything else, a Mac mini would most likely suit your needs. Just make sure to max out the RAM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy