D-Link DWL-G122 Rev. C1 working

nixblicker

57 posts in this topic

Okay, I got my D-Link DWL-G122 Revision C1 and could not get it work at first!

Than I did a bit googling around and found out the revision C1 does NOT use a RT2500 chipset but a RaLink RT73x.

Fortunately they also have an universal Mac OSX driver for this chipset as well!! :)

So go to the website http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm and download the latest version in the section "RT71W" and install! That's it!

Working on 10.4.6 without problems so far :guitar:

Hi,

I am currently thinking to buy an USB Dlink Wifi device like DWL-G122 to replace my unsupported Intel 2200bg in my laptop. Do you know or somebody has try this with MAC OS 10.4.3?

Thanks,

Hi yossicl,

a bit of topic but according to this website is the DWL-G120 based on the Prism GT chipset

The DWL-G120 is based on the GlobespanVirata PRISM GT chipset,
and I think I saw a thread about a working ox86 driver sowhere in the forum. Try to search!

• 9 months later...

Than I did a bit googling around and found out the revision C1 does NOT use a RT2500 chipset but a RaLink RT73x.

Fortunately they also have an universal Mac OSX driver for this chipset as well!! :)

So go to the website http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm and download the latest version in the section "RT71W" and install! That's it!

Working on 10.4.6 without problems so far :D

Dear Mr. nixblicker,

Could you please email this driver to me (RT71W Drivers dated 2006/04/07)? I got a G122 C1 also, thanks in advance!

email: hanzella0422@yahoo.com

Henry

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately they also have an universal Mac OSX driver for this chipset as well!! :D

Working on 10.4.6 without problems so far :thumbsup_anim:

Hi, I followed the link and it seems to have expired. Could you let me know if this link (and see item at bottom) is the same as you recommended? Would be grateful, my d-link (Rev C1) is fooling about. Used to work, then didn't, and now is again. Just looking for answers. I'm on OS 10.4.8. Regards, Kate

Hi,

Yeah, the link does not work anymore. But the link kathykate has in here post leads to the driver I am using successfully! Download the CURRENTLY last entry "RT2571W/RT2671+RT2500USB". You should have a file called RTUSB D70-1.1.3.0 D71W-1.1.7.0 UI-1.3.0.0_2006_11_10.dmg.

But I need to unplug my adapter on every start and plug it in the moment the desktop appears! That's a bit ........, but I have WLAN now and that cures everything!

Good luck!

I think it's better to uninstall old drivers. And don't forget to unplug the stick on boot and only plug it in the moment you see your desktop (with dock etc.)!

Argh, I'm trying all sorts. It's so random the way it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't... I've been fiddling all day. Even though both drivers are still installed it has been working - on and off, like if there is an R in the month.. OK, so now it's time to admit I don't actually know how to uninstall the d-link driver. can you tell me?

Get a D-Link DBT-120, they work natively without drivers and are very cheap.

I'm thinking of throwing in the towel with this one! But the one you recommend - do it work on OS 10.4.8? Are there different 'versions' and some don't work and some do (like the DWL-G122)? I don't want to get a lemon again...

PS I got the uninstall thing sussed.

You're fed up with me aren't you... haha. Well, I'm back with information!

I've fiddled with this thing so much I've lost track of exactly what I've done and undone. But this much is true: Currently running on the ralink driver. In Network Port Configurations I deselected all except Ethernet Adaptor (en1) which I also dragged to the top (this seemed to help). And I have to unplug on restart and only plug in again when I see the desktop (including dock) as Nick says. Then I get a signal in wireless utility, which connects straight away and stays rock solid.

But I've found a few interesting things. It seems to be a problem with the stick finding the right IP address.

When I've got my rock solid connection and I check my Prefs/Network/Automatic/Network Status it shows a green light and tells me the Ethernet Adaptor (en 1) (which is the d-link stick) is currently active and has the IP address of xxx.xxx.x.x. And I am connected to the Internet via Ethernet Adaptor (en 1).

If I restart and don't unplug/plug in the stick the driver can't find a signal. If I then check the Prefs/Network/Automatic/Network Status it shows an amber light and tells me the Ethernet Adaptor (en 1) (which is the d-link stick) is currently active But it has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet. When I check the self-assigned IP address it's completely different from one above.

Now, that got me thinking that I could manually put in the address, which I tried (I'm still in Automatic). Pressed Apply Now. But still couldn't get a signal in the wireless utility box. I rechecked Prefs/Network/Automatic/Network Status and it tells me I am connected! But when I try to open a page in a browser the browser tells me I'm not.

So then I tried to make a New Location - thinking that I could just switch to that instead of having to restart/unplug/plug. Added all info manually (which I'd copied when I had a good connection in Automatic) - so to all intents and purposes it was exactly the same as the Automatic/Ethernet adaptor (en 1) setting. But the result was the same as para above- no signal in wireless utility box, but it thinks it's connected.

I'm no expert but that doesn't make sense to me. If anyone can add any info that would be good. Just trying to solve this plugging/unplugging business. But at least it'w working via the tedious unplugging/plugging technique.

Will also post this in Apple discussions where I'm asking questions about it too.

First congratulation you got it working!

And the re-plugging business is really awful I know, but at least I have a net connections now! :)

I think the problem is that the stick is not really initialized by the driver or driver not by the OS?!

As long as you don't have a connection in the Wireless utility you don't get a network connection. I don't know about unsecured connections but I am using WPA2.

I also tried forcing the start of the wireless utility but this only shows me "No Device".

Would be interesting to know if this is also a bug on a "real" Mac?!!?

• 9 months later...

I will try RT2870 drivers as suggested. I bought this adapter because on its box it showed clearly that it supported Mac OS X. Sadly, the drivers came with the box supported only 10.3 and 10.4. I tried 10.4 driver but its kext didn't load, complaining different arch.

Update: RT2870 driver works with my machine too, but I experience the replug problem as well. I will try the solution as suggested in the next post (#20). :(

Update2: I've done what said in post#20, it works but only with -f at darwin boot loader. Being a laptop user, plug and unplug a usb device will cause me pain less than look out for hitting F8 and -f at boot time. The interface of the new driver is much more beautiful though. I'll keep it and continue doing plug and unplug business.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotcha! It works!

My DWL-G122 C1 works with Leopard 1.5.1!

After a long day of testing....

I installed

1. Info - RTUSB D2870-1.0.1.0b_D71w-1.1.7.0c_D2500-1.1.3.0 UI-1.4.8.0_2007_11_26.dmg

2. Info - Ralink Wireless Drivers Installation Wizard.mpkg.zip

3. Info - ralinkv015.zip

After installing, i followed the instroctution of the installer:

1. Simply run the Installer

2. Once its done , run Disk Utility to repair permission and please do not forget to delete your kextcaches.

3. Once its done , you can play around with the driver. The WiFi Utility driver is found in your Applications folder

1. Repair the permission

2. reboot and start with boot option "-f"

3. Have Fun.

• 2 weeks later...

treamy

I've been trying to get this stupid adapter to work with my Tiger Hackintosh for over 6 months now.

Now that I have Leopard running (finally!!!) I got my hopes up again.

Anyway, I followed your instructions but there's one thing I don't know how to do:

How do I delete Kext caches? Once I find them, which ones should I delete?

I have the A La Airport USB Utility 0.15 working and successfully connecting to my access point, but there's no new Ethernet connection appearing in my Network prefs panel. So I can't get an IP address...

I must be doing something wrong.

Also, unless I specify -f at Darwin Boot, the adapter doesn't get recognized unless I unplug and replug.

Update2: I've done what said in post#20, it works but only with -f at darwin boot loader. Being a laptop user, plug and unplug a usb device will cause me pain less than look out for hitting F8 and -f at boot time. The interface of the new driver is much more beautiful though. I'll keep it and continue doing plug and unplug business.
Do you get the new ethernet port in Network Pref?

'Cause I don't... :thumbsup_anim:

I'm running Kalyway 10.5.1 too.

I have the "-F" issue too. The adapter will only work if I do -f at boot, but there is a way to add a switch permanently: Read this post for more info.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

is just found this workarround for the dongle in the web. Maybe it works.

"I don't know if anyone ever got this working, but I took the following steps to get this working under Leopard 10.5.1

1. You need to to be able to get onto the router access page from another PC / Mac on your network or know a free IP address in the range DHCP is giving out the dongle might use.

2. Install drivers.

3. Reboot.

4. Plugin dongle

5. Open Prefs pane, select network and enter key as usual.

6. The dongle connects, but you don't have internet yet.

7. Log into the router from another machine and see if you can find the IP address of the dongle. If not, just entering a valid IP address from the DHCP range might work.

8. open Network prefs and the new Ehternet port the drivers created.

9. Tell it you connect using DHCP with manual IP addy

10. Enter IP addy from step 7.

11. Bish bosh, after a few seconds you are connected.

12. You can now switch to DHCP only.

13. IP address is given out to the dongle and you're up and running.

14. Go back to the Dlink Prefs Pane and save the profile so it connects on each reboot."