Major Mac OSX Problem

shugo16

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm currently having a problem with my Macbook. My Mac OS has been quite slow these days with frequent rainbow wheels. On the other hand, my Bootcamp Windows also began to BSOD even b4 I could reach the desktop.Hence, I reformatted my whole hard drive and reinstalled my Mac OSX. All was well.Then, I proceeded to reinstall the Bootcamp Windows only to have it give me the Unmountable Boot Volume BSOD. Upon discovering that, I restarted and tried to go into my Mac OSX and it froze on the blue starting screen.I reformatted the whole thing again and the same thing happened.I've tried repairing drive and permissions and its still no good. Also, the upgrading of the version of my Mac OS causes the OS itself to become corrupt. I'm beginning to suspect a hard disk failure (despite disk utility reporting that everything was ok).Either dying hard disk or dying RAM. Now, I would like to pinpoint the exact cause which led to the problem, whether it was the HDD or the RAM, and the best possible solution available to me now.Also, is there a way,preferably simple, to check if my RAM or my HDD is damaged through Mac OSX? Thanks for your time!

It certainly seems like a hardware related problem. I wouldn't put much stock in hard drive status software or S.M.A.R.T. as I've seen more HDD die without warning than I care to remember. Have you changed the RAM, or is it OEM?

Definitely sounds like a Hard Drive Issue. Had the same thing happen to my lappy. Can you boot a linux live cd/dvd? If so and it is stable then that pretty much rules out the ram side of things.

Its fairly odd how Windows BSOD'S yet Mac plods along, albeit slowly, until it can continue.

I would try to get linux but even Torrent isnt working for me now.It just hangs up a few mins later and gives a red cross. Also, I'm now unable to even copy files from one location to another as it gives me the error where it says some files cannot be read or written.UGH, this had better only be a hard drive problem...if it is a hard drive problem AND a RAM problem...>_>U