Text Edit help

Eos9

5 posts in this topic

As a new Mac user, help on a couple of issues would be most appreciated.

I have attempted a couple of downloads which appear to have a text file attached.

These appear to be a Text Edit file but when I attempt to open them they are complete gibberish !

The only part that is readable states that 'this program cannot be run DOS mode' .

I would therefore appreciate any advice as to how I am able to read the file/program in question.

On a completely different subject I am trying to find an easier way to arrange bookmarks than at present.

Is it possible for instance to have the bookmarks automatically arranged in alphabetical order or something as I have not seen this option listed at present.

Thanks

The only part that is readable states that 'this program cannot be run DOS mode' .

Thanks

How lucky that you are on a Mac. You downloaded an infected file intended for a PC that's running Windows.

It seems that you are attempting to open a Windows executable in a text editing program. This is the typical result. Whether or not it's 'infected' remains to be seen. What is the file extension? What makes you think that it is a text file?

It seems that you are attempting to open a Windows executable in a text editing program. This is the typical result. Whether or not it's 'infected' remains to be seen. What is the file extension? What makes you think that it is a text file?

I am not 100% sure if I am indeed trying to open a Windows executable or not but the download was selected for OS X so assumed it was for the Mac !

I am not sure wether it is a text file as you already mention as the file extension is .exe and setup.exe.

What I was prob getting confused with is that when I try to open the file it opens a window ( with the gibberish and ' message in ' while the bar at the top of the screen changes from ie 'Finder' to Text edit.

Hope this helps and apologies for my ignorance but I am finding the change to a Mac quite a learning curve !

How lucky that you are on a Mac. You downloaded an infected file intended for a PC that's running Windows.

I am not 100% sure if I am indeed trying to open a Windows executable or not but the download was selected for OS X so assumed it was for the Mac !

I am not sure wether it is a text file as you already mention as the file extension is .exe and setup.exe.

What I was prob getting confused with is that when I try to open the file it opens a window ( with the gibberish and ' message in ' while the bar at the top of the screen changes from ie 'Finder' to Text edit.

Hope this helps and apologies for my ignorance but I am finding the change to a Mac quite a learning curve !

EXE file extensions are typically reserved for Windows executable files. You really won't encounter them in any other operating system. If the file name is setup.exe, that tells me that it is a windows installer of some sort. Most Mac programs will end with .app, .pkg, or .mpkg, or you may not see an extension at all. You could get a program called 'Cross Over Mac' which will allow you to run most common windows programs on Mac, but I would recommend staying away from .exe files for the most part. It's always better if you can find a Mac native alternative, if you can avoid using cross over.

The reason the files was opened in Text Edit is most likely because Mac OS X didn't know what else to do with it. I'm sure you'll get over the learning curve quickly. Apple goes to great lengths to make this easy to use, or else it would be very difficult for them to sell people on switching. Stick with it, you'll be comfortable in no time.