Gigabyte EP45-UD3R "perfect" setup ... (using retail disk)

Squirrelf

174 posts in this topic

Longtime lurker here who is very grateful for all the help I've gotten.

I updated to 10.5.8 today and everything went fine except I have no sound devices on one of my machines (oddly I did not have the same problem on another machine and both are EP45-UD3R). I'm unclear which audio kexts to use and whether they should be installed in S/L/E or in my Chameleon "Extras" folder. Could someone kindly walk me through it?

Thanks very much for any help.

I was able to resolve my missing sound by dropping the 3 kexts from the 'Legacy 4outs2ins analog regualr headphone' folder in the installation pack into /Extras/Extensions

I also had to remove an old HDAEnabler from /S/L/E but that was left over from using an older installation method and a different audio driver.

10.5.8 upgrade from perfect 10.5.7 -

Sound borked - used old AppleHDA.kext from my 10.5.7 install and it worked great. Tried using the "Legacy 4outs2ins.." from the 10.5.7 pack here, and it didn't fix it (I put it in /S/L/E, though)

Sleep borked - no fix at the moment. Dealbreaker for me.

Networking borked - I didn't use the Realtek1000.kext driver previously, so I'm not sure WHY it currently works, but after 10.5.8 I get a DHCP, and I can ping, but I can't flow traffic through any applications. Installed the Realtek1000.kext driver into /S/L/E and all worked again.

This was the Chameleon RC1, and RC2.

-Dan

I thought sleep was hit or miss on this board anyway, wasn't it? Or did everyone finally get it to behave properly? I would always just turn off all the energy saving and sleep features and live with it. My old ASUS P5W DH Deluxe used to sleep beautifully with Leopard.

Sleep works great for me under 10.5.7. I got a new power supply and that helped (bad cable somewhere causing random problems). I can even WOL (wake-on-lan) and VNC in remotely if I want to. Really nice.

-Dan

10.5.8 requires AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext loaded for Sleep. If the kext is loaded, Sleep should be working.

Thats where the trouble starts. I can't load that kext, if it is in Extensions, i get a kernelpanic. I have a DSDT fixed with DSDT Patcher. The kext should not cause a kernelpanic with that fixed DSDT.

Anyone has a proper HPET entry for the DSDT so that the kext can be loaded?

I have a GA-EP45-DS3 MOBO

Hey all, have a question someone hopefully can answer. I changed my bios settings per the instructions, but when I went to boot back to Vista it would hang and reboot itself midboot. It gets to the windows load screen for about 20 seconds. I was able to get back into Vista by reverting the AHCI settings to how they were out of the box. Anyone have insight into this? I assume I need them set to AHCI for Leopard, but I definitely need to access my Vista and changing those bios settings daily seems to be a bit much.

*edit* I didn't disclose that I installed this mobo yesterday to replace another one. I probably have to do a full driver install(haven't done that yet, just installed leopard)to enable the AHCI drivers for this mobo with Vista, does that sound right? I'm at work so won't be able to try till tonight but throwing ideas off people here, thanks in advance.

I was able to resolve my missing sound by dropping the 3 kexts from the 'Legacy 4outs2ins analog regualr headphone' folder in the installation pack into /Extras/Extensions

I also had to remove an old HDAEnabler from /S/L/E but that was left over from using an older installation method and a different audio driver.

Thanks for the reply. At the end of the day I ended up reformatting and restoring, then reinstalled the audio kexts using UInstaller (long story about reinstalling Chameleon on my main Volume, rather than EFI). In any event, I got it resolved.

10.5.8 rendered Sleep mode unusable for me, which is kind of a bummer since everything else works so well.

Same here. Worked perfectly in 10.5.7. Otherwise no problems.

BTW, I really want to thank the community for this thread (and the previous thread). It really made my install a breeze (although I ended up creating a slimbuild ISO rather than using the GRUBDFE ISO).

Hey all, have a question someone hopefully can answer. I changed my bios settings per the instructions, but when I went to boot back to Vista it would hang and reboot itself midboot. It gets to the windows load screen for about 20 seconds. I was able to get back into Vista by reverting the AHCI settings to how they were out of the box. Anyone have insight into this? I assume I need them set to AHCI for Leopard, but I definitely need to access my Vista and changing those bios settings daily seems to be a bit much.

*edit* I didn't disclose that I installed this mobo yesterday to replace another one. I probably have to do a full driver install(haven't done that yet, just installed leopard)to enable the AHCI drivers for this mobo with Vista, does that sound right? I'm at work so won't be able to try till tonight but throwing ideas off people here, thanks in advance.

You installed Vista in IDE mode and not in AHCI mode. If you don't want to keep switching the bios settings everytime you boot the other operating system you need to get your Vista OS to AHCI. Here is a link on how to do it. It's for XP but you get the idea. I'm sure you can google a vista version for exact instructions.

http://expertester.wordpress.com/2008/07/2...hci-windows-xp/

1. Chameleon now includes built in driver for our ethernet! - You can dump the RealtekR1000.kext as it is NOT needed

Unfortunately this is not the case.

Bonjour does not work unless the RealtekR1000.kext is used. Ran 'Bonjour Browser' with and without the kext and the services only show up if the kext is used.

What would the advantages be doing it this way instead of using iAtkos or some other distro?

You installed Vista in IDE mode and not in AHCI mode. If you don't want to keep switching the bios settings everytime you boot the other operating system you need to get your Vista OS to AHCI. Here is a link on how to do it. It's for XP but you get the idea. I'm sure you can google a vista version for exact instructions.

http://expertester.wordpress.com/2008/07/2...hci-windows-xp/

I followed this guide and it worked for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

For those who are having problem with sleep...

Do you have another HDD with installed Mac OS X(not DATA) working together with the primary HDD?

Do you have modified IO80211 wifi kext or wifi in general?

Not sure what you mean in the first point - 2 hard drives installed and sleep fails?

Yes, I have 2 hard drives installed (10.5.7 + Storage partitions, 10.5.8 + Storage_backup partition), and sleep fails in 10.5.8, fine in 10.5.7

No WiFi at all, as it's a desktop with wired Ethernet.

What are you trying to figure out?

-Dan

I used Eliade's pack and folowed gmacman's hackintosh how to exactly and I've now got my system all working except sometimes when I boot into OSX my mouse doesn't work. I have to unplug and replug the mouse for it to work.

I've spent hours in the forms and so far found nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

I used Eliade's pack and folowed gmacman's hackintosh how to exactly and I've now got my system all working except sometimes when I boot into OSX my mouse doesn't work. I have to unplug and replug the mouse for it to work.

I've spent hours in the forms and so far found nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

IIRC, you should always plug the USB keyboard (mine's Apple so the mouse is plugged into the keyboard) in the first USB port in the back. In other words, bottom right row and the first one on the left. Forgot where I heard that but it might help.

IIRC, you should always plug the USB keyboard (mine's Apple so the mouse is plugged into the keyboard) in the first USB port in the back. In other words, bottom right row and the first one on the left. Forgot where I heard that but it might help.

I'm looking at my pc from the left side. Right now my keyboard is plugged in the bottom left usb and my mouse in in the bottom right.

I'll try switching them around.

What would the advantages be doing it this way instead of using iAtkos or some other distro?

I followed this guide and it worked for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

The advantages would be that your running an untouched install. All the modifications are made with the Chameleon bootloader. That's also where the kext's go so that OSX is kept 100% untouched hence Vanilla OSX.

I'm sure I'm not describing it 100%, someone else may want to add.

i have been running ipc 10.6.5. I have always been able to just do the apple updates like a normal apple guy :D. However, I usually have to drop my 3 sound kexts back in after an update. takes 5 seconds and I'm good to go.

The ipc distro seems just as easy or easier then the chameleon 2 method with this board.

The advantages would be that your running an untouched install. All the modifications are made with the Chameleon bootloader. That's also where the kext's go so that OSX is kept 100% untouched hence Vanilla OSX.

I'm sure I'm not describing it 100%, someone else may want to add.

Seems like my old setup was pretty Vanilla like, I was able to use Software Update with no problems. Might give this a try and see how it goes. Thanks.

For those who are having problem with sleep...

Do you have another HDD with installed Mac OS X(not DATA) working together with the primary HDD?

Do you have modified IO80211 wifi kext or wifi in general?

1) I did a brash thing and decided to only go with a 1 HDD setup.

2) My hackintosh is a desktop - no wireless.

Thanks in advance.

Is anyone else having problems with Spring Loaded Folders after the 10.5.8 update? Worked perfectly before, now...nothing!

Spring Loaded Folders are working for me on 10.5.8, so it would seem you aren't dealing with a hack-specific problem. I did read over on the Ars Technica forums that there were several reports of permissions getting all screwed up by the 10.5.8 updater, and that seems like it could be the cause of weird problems like losing SLFs. I believe that the permissions were most easily fixed by running the combo updater again, but I'd recommend looking into how to resolve those issues before trying anything!

One additional thing that I've noticed, my Samsung SATA DVD-R/W drive no longer works in OS 10.5.8.

Anyone else who has upgrade finding the same problems?

My Lite-On SATA DVD-RW still works fine after 10.5.8 update... =/

from 10.5.7 I installed 10.5.8 with a simple software update

backed up my extra folder

then installed chameleon rc2 over my chameleon rc1

removed the new extra/extensions folder and the extensions.mkext created by the chameleon rc2 installer

recopied my backed up extra/extensions folder back in place

used the gui version of the dsdt patcher with the HPET option checked, moved the dsdt.aml to the Extra folder for a cleaner Root drive

removed disabler.kext

reboot

SLEEP WORKS for me at least

woohoo

let me know if by doing the exact same thing I did you can get you sleep back