Gigabyte EP45-UD3R "perfect" setup ... (using retail disk)

Squirrelf

174 posts in this topic

Yep, turned out to be the drive, you have to use a SATA drive. Now I am wondering since I have gotten everything installed operating system wise. If I can figure out a way to get the IDE dvd drives to work so I can return this SATA drive.

I second that. I can't get my IDE dvd drive working.

Hi there,

Would just like to say thanks to everyone who worked on this solution - i'm all set on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L. Everything is working perfectly following your guide, the only hiccup I had was the sound but I installed the sound kexts in the zip (UD3R.zip) and all is sweet.

My geekbench for anyone interested: http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/148395

Oh and had no problems with Buffalo PCI WLI2-PCI-G54S wireless card working out of the box.

Thanks again!

hey guys, im new here....i have the ud34r and i tried installing os X using kalyway 10.5.2 and it sayid the install was a success...then the computer restarts i get the white screen with the apple logo in the middle and all of a sudden my monitor goes blank.....what can i do?? plz help im desperate to get get my hakintosh workinf...and im using a visiontek HD3450 video card.

hey guys, im new here....i have the ud34r and i tried installing os X using kalyway 10.5.2 and it sayid the install was a success...then the computer restarts i get the white screen with the apple logo in the middle and all of a sudden my monitor goes blank.....what can i do?? plz help im desperate to get get my hakintosh workinf...and im using a visiontek HD3450 video card.

I followed this precisely as written, but after installing and the updates on the first boot, and rebooting using -v, I have a huge problem.

Basically there is some kind of graphic error and the screen displays nasty artifacts. At this point I can't go any further.

Chris- What graphics card are you using? On the reboot you did were you able to get it to reboot itself or did you have to do a manual reboot (powering off and on the machine)?

Also, did you overclock your CPU?

Well, this thread is really for retail Leopard installs not for the various hack'd OS distributions. I'm not sure you'll find any folks here who know much about the Kalyway version. I'd advise buying a real copy of OS X from Apple and trying our method of install using Eliade's pack and info from the first post.

Yep, turned out to be the drive, you have to use a SATA drive. Now I am wondering since I have gotten everything installed operating system wise. If I can figure out a way to get the IDE dvd drives to work so I can return this SATA drive.

So my only reservation to doing this is that you most likely will need at some point to do a reinstall (especially once Snow Leopard ships, assuming you upgrade). And you will then need the SATA drive. It is a bummer we can't seem to get those IDE DVD drives to work perfectly. If I remember correctly, Eliade spent a bunch of time just getting the IDE hard drives work (trying various kexts, etc.).

Chris- What graphics card are you using? On the reboot you did were you able to get it to reboot itself or did you have to do a manual reboot (powering off and on the machine)?

Also, did you overclock your CPU?

Well, this thread is really for retail Leopard installs not for the various hack'd OS distributions. I'm not sure you'll find any folks here who know much about the Kalyway version. I'd advise buying a real copy of OS X from Apple and trying our method of install using Eliade's pack and info from the first post.

So my only reservation to doing this is that you most likely will need at some point to do a reinstall (especially once Snow Leopard ships, assuming you upgrade). And you will then need the SATA drive. It is a bummer we can't seem to get those IDE DVD drives to work perfectly. If I remember correctly, Eliade spent a bunch of time just getting the IDE hard drives work (trying various kexts, etc.).

Okay so it's better to just use a sata burner, alright thanks.

I second that. I can't get my IDE dvd drive working.

I actually got my IDE drives to work now. I installed some kext I found on this forum for the ata controller. I even burned a disc too. But the ide drive only works after os installation, not prior. So you would still need a sata rom for installing the OS.

I actually got my IDE drives to work now. I installed some kext I found on this forum for the ata controller. I even burned a disc too. But the ide drive only works after os installation, not prior. So you would still need a sata rom for installing the OS.

I have a sata blu-ray drive I've used that for a while for that purpose. It would be useful if you posted that kext you found for others to try.

Well, you would have a better chance if you used the regular retail disk and the added software in the links on the first posting of this thread. If you are smart enough to hunt down that Kalyway install disk, you can find the regular retail disk. Or support Apple and buy one. You will need a boot disk first though to get the retail disk up and running for the install. Secondly, is Kalyway setting your graphics for you? You might need to get a copy of PCWiz's Universal OSX86 Installer and add your graphics string by hand.

The direction I am pointing you in is to take control of that installation so you can track down bugs later on. A lot of us have already been down the same road and our expience is usually posted here with links to files that make it easy for everyone else.

PS: make sure your BIOS settings are correct! Good Luck.

Hey there, quick question. I used the install method found in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t159254.html

Everything is working like a dream, except for Sound. I was wondering how I would go about using your kexts to get sound. I have the Extras folder in the root, however there is no Extensions folder in there. How would I go about installing these Kexts?

Thanks in advance!

Hey there, quick question. I used the install method found in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t159254.html

Everything is working like a dream, except for Sound. I was wondering how I would go about using your kexts to get sound. I have the Extras folder in the root, however there is no Extensions folder in there. How would I go about installing these Kexts?

Thanks in advance!

This is a thread for installing OSX using a OSX retail disc. That thread you mention uses the iPC 10.5.6 distro. Post there for help.

Others have gotten sound to work on that thread so you show be able to as well.

What do i need to use Time Machine? Are there any fixes i have to install?

If you follow the method outline here you will be fine and Time Machine will work normally. There is a step using UInstaller (after you install Chameleon) which specifically applies what is known as an EFI string to your com.apple.Boot.plist file which corrects any issues using Time Machine.

Hey guys check it out i got my system going on a RAID! Sweet! I used this guide if anyone's interested:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160467

It's cool for us because it uses Chameleon 2 with the Extra folder thingy. But not recommended for noobs like me!

Anyway it's about the popping sound. What a drag. In the old thread there was talk about changing the product stuff to MacPro or something. Do we still need to do this now in 10.5.7? I followed your guide to the letter and mine ended up as an iMac, model id iMac8,1. Did i do something wrong?

Or is it just a matter of trying the other drivers? I used the blue folder ones. My board is a 1.1.

Oh and I have orange drives. But I do like them better. Should I care?

Anyway it's about the popping sound. What a drag. In the old thread there was talk about changing the product stuff to MacPro or something. Do we still need to do this now in 10.5.7? I followed your guide to the letter and mine ended up as an iMac, model id iMac8,1. Did i do something wrong?

Or is it just a matter of trying the other drivers? I used the blue folder ones. My board is a 1.1.

Oh and I have orange drives. But I do like them better. Should I care?

I have not tested it since on my two Hackintoshes I set them to show as MacPros, but I have never had any popping sound. So I do advise changing it in the smbios.plist within the Extra folder. There are actually two keys there that need to be changed:

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>

and

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

Although you can use any of the various MacPro strings available. I just happened to use the 3,1 ones I found. Just do a search and you can find several on InsanelyMac forums.

As far as the orange drives, No it doesn't matter. It is purely cosmetic.

And thanks for the RAID How To link

I followed this precisely as written, but after installing and the updates on the first boot, and rebooting using -v, I have a huge problem.

Basically there is some kind of graphic error and the screen displays nasty artifacts. At this point I can't go any further.

Chris, it sounds like I'm having the same problem that you are. I did a fresh install on my EP45-UD3P using a 10.5.1 retail disc with no issues. I then applied the 10.5.7 combo update, rebooted, with the usual extra reboot that a point update always does, and then saw just what you saw.

I've done numerous successful installs with this disc, but this was actually the first install I've done where I've updated directly to 10.5.7 with the combo update. My previous installs were to 10.5.6, which I was running when 10.5.7 was released. I'm convinced the issue lies with this, but I'm not sure where to start.

I'm using a Radeon 4870 512MB video card. The next thing I think I'll try is to follow the first set of instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155477 (the ones under UPDATE!) and see what I get, because I know that netkas's Radeon pkgs work on my machine.

Hi guys

I couldn't get my onboard LAN to give me any more than half duplex, and I want gigabit.

So i got a gigabit DGE-530T (88E8001) that needs skgekext to work. I removed the R1000.kext and stuck in the skge. So now the DGE-530T is only at 100mb/s. And no time machine.

Do I have to change my plist?

Chris, it sounds like I'm having the same problem that you are. I did a fresh install on my EP45-UD3P using a 10.5.1 retail disc with no issues. I then applied the 10.5.7 combo update, rebooted, with the usual extra reboot that a point update always does, and then saw just what you saw.

I've done numerous successful installs with this disc, but this was actually the first install I've done where I've updated directly to 10.5.7 with the combo update. My previous installs were to 10.5.6, which I was running when 10.5.7 was released. I'm convinced the issue lies with this, but I'm not sure where to start.

I'm using a Radeon 4870 512MB video card. The next thing I think I'll try is to follow the first set of instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155477 (the ones under UPDATE!) and see what I get, because I know that netkas's Radeon pkgs work on my machine.

I'm running 10.5.7 also with the 4870 graphics card. Couple of points:

1, the 4870 is supported natively at 10.5.7 but not earlier releases

2, you'll still need to use either strings in com.apple.Boot.plist or an injector even at 10.5.7

Those instructions you link to don't really count if you're doing a brand new retail install. You won't have natit present and you shouldn't just delete existing Apple ATI kexts. What you should do right now is:

1, get hold of Netkas' ATY_init and put it on a thumbdrive

2, boot into single user mode (so just the command line)

3, set the filesystem so that you can make changes

4, cp -R ATY_init from a thumbdrive into /S/L/E

5, make sure it is owned root:wheel and has the correct permissions (755)

It is much easier if you already have an existing Intel Mac or Hack. I created my current install from a MacBook with a USB connected HDD. Installed retail to the external drive, applied the combo 10.5.7 update and then added chameleon and ATY_init. Then transferring it to the EP45-UD3R based machine on SATA0 it booted into OSX first time :D I then switched from ATY_init to strings in my com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra to keep the main install vanilla. Sweet!

I'm running 10.5.7 also with the 4870 graphics card. Couple of points:

1, the 4870 is supported natively at 10.5.7 but not earlier releases

2, you'll still need to use either strings in com.apple.Boot.plist or an injector even at 10.5.7

Those instructions you link to don't really count if you're doing a brand new retail install. You won't have natit present and you shouldn't just delete existing Apple ATI kexts. What you should do right now is:

1, get hold of Netkas' ATY_init and put it on a thumbdrive

2, boot into single user mode (so just the command line)

3, set the filesystem so that you can make changes

4, cp -R ATY_init from a thumbdrive into /S/L/E

5, make sure it is owned root:wheel and has the correct permissions (755)

It is much easier if you already have an existing Intel Mac or Hack. I created my current install from a MacBook with a USB connected HDD. Installed retail to the external drive, applied the combo 10.5.7 update and then added chameleon and ATY_init. Then transferring it to the EP45-UD3R based machine on SATA0 it booted into OSX first time :) I then switched from ATY_init to strings in my com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra to keep the main install vanilla. Sweet!

Yeah, I think I'm getting ahold of the procedure now. This was my first install where I updated directly to 10.5.7.

What I ended up doing was taking my drive to work with me (the whole reason my separate OS X hard drive is in an external enclosure with eSATA and FW!) and booted up my G5 off the drive. Since I could get to the desktop there, I just installed the Radeon drivers pkg, brought it home and it started right up. And I didn't end up following all of those other instructions, so I haven't deleted anything from my S/L/E folder at all. Still, it isn't a completely untouched Vanilla install, I guess, but I'm still trying to get a handle on the com.apple.Boot.plist strings part.

Sorry to derail your thread with all this, but I did use your instructions and most of the kexts in your pack for this particular install. So thanks.

Hi guys

I couldn't get my onboard LAN to give me any more than half duplex, and I want gigabit.

So i got a gigabit DGE-530T (88E8001) that needs skgekext to work. I removed the R1000.kext and stuck in the skge. So now the DGE-530T is only at 100mb/s. And no time machine.

Do I have to change my plist?

Not familiar with the skgekext but if TM stopped after you took the R1000.kext out and replaced it with the skgekext then I'm sure that's the culprit. Check to see if whoever created it has an update. I know when I was putting my machines together I wanted to stick with a NIC that was reported to work 100% so I stuck with the Netgear GA311 PCI Gigabit Ethernet card. IF you can't get your new one to work, perhaps you can return it and switch.

edit: Actually not really sure if my card works at gigabit, my house is all cat 5 (not cat 5e) so it's unlikely I could even get there.

The com.apple.Boot.plist did get altered for the Time Machine fix (using our method) with UInstaller. The next question is does the fix created by that support your new NIC. The guy who made that utility weaksauce12 is a very cool dude so just shoot over to his site and ask him, he may have a fix for you.

another edit: can't seem to get the link working here. the site is (all one word, separated here to get the damn url to show up) pc wiz computer . com

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting any HD's connected to the 2 purple SATA connections on the mobo

to mount. I there some trick getting these ports to work?? I checked in the BIOS and saw

nothing pertaining to them.

Thanks,

jb

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting any HD's connected to the 2 purple SATA connections on the mobo

to mount. I there some trick getting these ports to work?? I checked in the BIOS and saw

nothing pertaining to them.

Thanks,

jb

In the How To for our mobo we specifically say do NOT use the purple SATA connections only the Yellow ones. To my knowledge, no one has them working.

Hi there,

I just tried this method with a clean install using a retail 10.5 disk after I broke my old system upgrading to 10.5.7. Anyway, I decided to wipe the slate clean and try again from scratch.

Followed all the instructions to the letter up to where it says to download all software updates, which I couldn't do because it seems my internet connection isn't yet working, so I skipped this part and went straight onto the Chameleon stuff, which I assumed would fix this.

Followed the instructions for modifying the com.apple.boot.plist in the /Library/Extensions/SystemConfiguration folder, and added all the necessary kexts to my /Extra/Extensions folder. Finally I ran UInstaller to add EFI strings for time machine fix and for my gfx card (8400GS 512mb)

Upon rebooting I get the lovely new Chameleon loadscreen from which I selected my boot drive, but after booting back into OSX I noticed the screen resolution hadn't changed. Also, still no sound or network. So I went looking around in the /Extra folder and noticed there was also a com.apple.boot.plist file in there. Thinking I may have misunderstood the instructions, I went to modify that file and add the necessary strings, but when it came to saving the file I was told I didn't have the necessary permissions to do so. So I used GetInfo to modify the priveleges on the folder but still I couldn't alter the file. Finally, I enabled the root account and opened terminal to try to chmod the folder to grant permission from there, but I suck in Terminal and the mode I chose (chmod -R a+rw /Extra) had no effect either. [Edit: finally got permission to write to this file using a+rwx, but all I managed to accomplish by modifying it was to set the timeout - still no gfx, sound or network!!!]

I can't think where I might have gone wrong as the first time I ever installed OSX on my machine I had no problems. This time around I can't get anything to work properly at all. If anyone can offer me any advice I'd be extremly grateful.

Thanks!

Edit: I finally figured out how to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder, and I also managed to get my video card working properly, but still no sound or ethernet. Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: I finally figured out how to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder, and I also managed to get my video card working properly, but still no sound or ethernet. Anyone got any ideas?

First keep in mind when editing the com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder it is best to copy it to the desktop (the file I mean) and then edit it from there. Although the best bet is to make a second copy (one original and one edited). Then once done, drag and drop the edited copy back to the /Extra folder (it will then ask you to "Authenticate" which just means you'll need to enter your system password). Which I thought I put in the How To, but I'll check it out and see if I can make that more clear.

As far as your ethernet and sound issues, are you using onboard lan or did you install a NIC card and if so which one? For the sound, there are four different options that Eliade has included in his pack, which one are you using?