Installing iDeneb 10.5.6 with Windows 7 already installed

27 posts in this topic

Hi all,

this is my first ever time trying to run osx on my PC. I followed this guide for installation and this is how things unfolded..

Booted from the CD and the installation process began smoothly. I started the disk utility and formated a partition for osx(journaled format). The partitions were as follows:

Partition 1 > 100mb > System partition created by Windows 7(I think it's used for booting)

Partition 2 > 30gb > Windows 7 installation

Partition 3 > 30gb > Reserved for OSX, formatted with journaled osx format(not extended)

Partition 4 > 230gb > Various other stuff

In the next step I clicked "Customize" and selected pretty much all applications except the translations. Then the installation started and took a while, around 45 minutes. After it completed it asked for a restart. I figured everything went smoothly and I'll boot into OSX. WRONG!

After the reboot I got this screen:

DSC_4170.JPG

The guide said that could appear with older hardware but before the installation starts. Now nothing happened so I went for a forced reboot. When the PC rebooted, I saw something about Darwin, Chameleon(which I presume is the bootloader for OSX) and I only had about 3,4 seconds to press F8 for other boot options. When I did I could see the bootloader recognized all my 4 partitions which were labeled:

SYSTEM

WINDOWS 7

OSX

STUFF

Chosing OSX again brought me to the same screen which required a further forced restart and chosing win7 brought up a BOOTMGR error, windows mbr was probably overwritten. So with no operational OS I proceded to repair Windows. I made the windows partition active and fixed the startup issue and brought back windows mbr.

Now, is there any workaround, hack, tip, tweak to get around this? The partition where OSX was installed is intact, just windows mbr was brought back to boot into Windows.

My setup is the following:

Gigabyte GA-P45-UD3LR

Intel E8400

Corsair DDR2, 2x2GB

Radeon HD3870

4xSATA HDD's

Any help is much appreciated. :D

Hi all,

this is my first ever time trying to run osx on my PC. I followed this guide for installation and this is how things unfolded..

Booted from the CD and the installation process began smoothly. I started the disk utility and formated a partition for osx(journaled format). The partitions were as follows:

Partition 1 > 100mb > System partition created by Windows 7(I think it's used for booting)

Partition 2 > 30gb > Windows 7 installation

Partition 3 > 30gb > Reserved for OSX, formatted with journaled osx format(not extended)

Partition 4 > 230gb > Various other stuff

In the next step I clicked "Customize" and selected pretty much all applications except the translations. Then the installation started and took a while, around 45 minutes. After it completed it asked for a restart. I figured everything went smoothly and I'll boot into OSX. WRONG!

After the reboot I got this screen:

DSC_4170.JPG

The guide said that could appear with older hardware but before the installation starts. Now nothing happened so I went for a forced reboot. When the PC rebooted, I saw something about Darwin, Chameleon(which I presume is the bootloader for OSX) and I only had about 3,4 seconds to press F8 for other boot options. When I did I could see the bootloader recognized all my 4 partitions which were labeled:

SYSTEM

WINDOWS 7

OSX

STUFF

Chosing OSX again brought me to the same screen which required a further forced restart and chosing win7 brought up a BOOTMGR error, windows mbr was probably overwritten. So with no operational OS I proceded to repair Windows. I made the windows partition active and fixed the startup issue and brought back windows mbr.

Now, is there any workaround, hack, tip, tweak to get around this? The partition where OSX was installed is intact, just windows mbr was brought back to boot into Windows.

My setup is the following:

Gigabyte GA-P45-UD3LR

Intel E8400

Corsair DDR2, 2x2GB

Radeon HD3870

4xSATA HDD's

Any help is much appreciated. :D

Have you selected the chipset driver in customize? (ICHX Fixed)

Boot with -v flag and post an image of the screen.

Giorgio

Haveyou selected the chipset driver in customize? (ICHX Fixed)

Boot with -v flag and post an image of the screen.

Giorgio

Hi, like I said, I installed everything except the translations.

Could you be a little more specific for the second part? Now when I start the pc it immediatelly boots windows. Could this be run by booting from the iDeneb DVD or something?

Please try to be specific as this is my first time around.

Hi, like I said, I installed everything except the translations.

Could you be a little more specific for the second part? Now when I start the pc it immediatelly boots windows. Could this be run by booting from the iDeneb DVD or something?

Please try to be specific as this is my first time around.

You can not say nothing about drivers: [in the next step I clicked "Customize" and selected pretty much all applications except] Applications don't means drivers.

At boot time, when appare Darwin bootloader push F8 key and then type -v <return>

Giorgio

OK, sorry, my bad. Either way, yes, I installed all the drivers.

Problem is I no longer get the Darwin bootloader, it boots to windows 7 immediately because I restored W7 bootloader.

OK, sorry, my bad. Either way, yes, I installed all the drivers.

Problem is I no longer get the Darwin bootloader, it boots to windows 7 immediately because I restored W7 bootloader.

With Gparted Live Cd put the boot flag on Leopard partition.

Giorgio

Don't have the gParted, but I'm pretty sure I can set it as active with win7 DVD and command prompt. partdisk>select disk>select partition>active.

Edit: just saw you meant the boot flag..will download gParted just in case.

I'm at work currently but I will post the outcome when I get home.

Thanks for the help.

OK, I reinstalled iDeneb 10.5.6 and this time I manually selected some of the drivers, I didn't install them all and after the install and first restart, the PC booted to Windows 7 immediatelly! I then added an OSX entry via easyBCD and that goot me a Mac OSX boot option. In the boot menu I entered -v and this the error I get: "Still waiting for root device".

Edit: Ok, after some googling I enabled ACHI in my BIOS and this took me to this screen and it just hangs there doing nothing.

Come on people, there's hundreds people online, why am I working alone here? :D

post-454942-1247158315_thumb.jpg

post-454942-1247159396_thumb.jpg

Still waiting for root device is an error occurred when the southbridge is not recognized.

have you a SATA HD?

Have you selected ICHX-Fixed in the chipset customization?

Giorgio

Thanks for your help, Giorgio, but that seems overly complicated for a newbie to OSX like me.

Try to install with voodoo kernel 9.5, Ichx-fixed + JmicronATA as chipset, no other selections (sound video, lan etc)

Giorgio

Will try later today Giorgio, thanks.

What about AHCI in BIOS? Should I have it disabled or enabled?

Enabled.

Have a good night (in Canada i think).

Giorgio

OK, progress is made. This time I got this error and searching brought me a solution. More info and solution here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1&hl=hd3870

However, now I can't get past the registration, user profile creating because nothing on my keyboard works!

Edit: I have a USB mouse and PS2 keyboard. I tried this fix:

type "nano /etc/rc". You should end up in a text editor. Hold down ctrl-v to page down until you reach near the end of it. In between fi and exit 0 at the very end, at these two lines:

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

but my /etc/rc file doesn't exist or there's nothing in it.

Solved my keyboard problem with this:

Boot your install DVD and go into the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

cd "/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)"   <--- use quotes if name has spaces
									   - but don't use parentheses
cd System/Library
rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache
cd Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns
mv ApplePS2Trackpad.kext ApplePS2Trackpad.kext.bak
mv ApplePS2Mouse.kext ApplePS2Mouse.kext.bak

Quit Terminal and the Installer and Reboot without the DVD

Now my internet is not working! How does one go about that?

In Windows I just go to 192.168.1.254 and click connect. I tried it in safari but it won't open it. I have a Thomson speedtouch modem.

I suppose my ethernet is not working.

Go to System Preference/Network and look at the left if there is a network controller.

Wich Chip has your LAN?

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio,

Im in. In the tutorials section there is a thread for Realtek R111C chip, which is my LAN. I downloaded drivers from realtek site and the web appears to be working.

Yeah, I read that, I'm gonna try and find both the same interface.

I also have a problem with my mouse which is slooow, it lags really bad making it a pain to use. I read that installing steermouse can help the problem but when I download and try to isntall it(it's a dmg file), opening it crashes the system?