This should work....right?

3 posts in this topic

I have been looking into building a Hackintosh for some time now, particularly one in a G5 PowerMac Case. From what I understand the biggest concerns is finding a compatible mobo, graphics card, and processor. Here's what I've put together so far. Does anyone see any issues with this setup? I'm no expert so from what I've read this seems reasonable but i feel it's better to double check with all the pros out there. :)

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz

GeForce 8400 GS

Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2

Samsung Spinpoint 750GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD (x2)

Sunbeam 680w ATX PSU

Should work great.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the 8400GS, as I've seen some people report problems with them. But that's just a nitpick, as likely it can be made to work just fine. If you can though, consider an 8600GTS, or 9400GT.

More and more I think the E7400 is overpriced. Consider the $88 E6300- it's basically the same processor with slightly less L2 Cache. And it also has VT support, which the E7400 lacks.

A common thing: the PSU is a bit overkill. You could run that system on literally half the wattage. Looking on newegg, it has decent user ratings and specs, but seems to be a little noisy. The cost is cheap, so that's good. Still, I'd suggest a better brand with high effeciency at 400W or so- in the long run you'll save on electricity costs.

Anyway, these are all just suggestions.

i've made the decision to switch to the 9400GT, i've found a fairly cheap one, i'm not looking to do any hardcore gaming, i really just want the possibility of running ProTools in OS X and have the second drive running Ubuntu.

while i realize i could get away with a smaller PSU i've elected to possibly use the AZZA Dynamo 500. while there isn't much info out about it now, so far everything seems good. the company has produced nice cases and i can see that quality carrying over to the power supplies. but i do want some wiggle room depending on any upgrades I may decide on later