10.6 GMAX3100

Tim0288

1 post in this topic

The Good:

It would seem that the 32 bit version of 10.6's kexts seem to detect my x3100 rev3! all be it at the wrong resolution but switch res x can fix that. With previous versions of leo i had serious difficulty with this card (scan lines, natit etc.) however 10.6 looks promising... Until.

The Bad:

The 64 bit version. This version has had some strange effects on my laptop, FJS lifebook s6410, for a start it does not load the GMAX3100 kexts at all (just VESA), nor apparently will a 64 bit kernel load any 32 bit kexts. However at least there are no artifacts, scan lines, pain or misery (so far), just oddness. It has also had an unusual (not necessarily bad) effect on my cpu. Profiler displays my cpu speed at 3.0Ghz @ 1333fsb although it is only 2.2Ghz @ 800fsb. Nothing to unusual for a Hackintosh, except that cpu-x reports confirm Profiler! So is Snow Leo overclocking my cpu?!?

It looks like the latest Snow Leo seed still doesn't have all the kexts running in 64 bit yet and Apple have confirmed that dev has switched to compatibility, So the bad news: Its probably not time to upgrade yet unless your happy with 32 bit. And the good: Apple haven't forgotten about us and if anything they have added support for a wider range of card revisions. And i can confirm that snow leo feels faster and looks prettier so this September should be a good one!

Regards

Tim