Not great with computers or programming...can I do this?

4 posts in this topic

Hey, as is probably the case with many of you I can't afford a new Mac Pro so I'm going with a PC for audio and video editing. I'm planning on buying a Dell Studio XPS 435 with the Intel Core i7. I can't take a risk making a complete hackintosh so I'm planning on doing most of my work on the Windows side with Cubase 5 and Adobe Premiere, however it would be a nice bonus to have OS X on it as well because the only system I have that can run it now is my old iMac from 2006 which is my main computer now, but just can't cut it for more than internet browsing.

I know tons of people with Macs so I can use their install discs for Leopard as long as it doesn't mess them up in some way.

What is the easiest way to try this that has the least risk of damaging something and requires the least programming? Can it even be done on the Core i7? If I get a second hard drive would that make it safer?

Thanks in advance!

Core i7... It can be done.

Im not sure about that particular system, however, if you are not great with this type , I would recommend you download a distribution. Some Examples are iAtkos, iPC, Kalyway, iDeneb just to name a few. They are easy to install... Just pop them in, choose the right patches and kexts(the mac driver) and install, and you should have a relatively hassle free system.

If you want to research more about your system, try looking around the entire community with the hacintosh search tool.

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00948655...297:e41g72sr-ba

I've heard of Psystar and don't want to do that because it's not stable enough for my taste. Apple is also having a big legal issue with them so I don't feel comfortable with it. I can't deal with a constant fear that some new update could destroy the computer.

I'm planning to use Vista as my main OS, but it would be nice to have OS X on it too since I'm really a Mac user forced to switch to Windows due to funds :).

How do I get iATKOS or any of those? Torrents? I'm a bit worried about buying a new PC and immediately risking it with torrents like that.