[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

Hm this looks very promising. However... got stuck after the first 10.5.6 install. Indeed it said that it had failed. Tried to reboot from the GA-EP45-DS3L CD as per instructions but nothing happens: it just hangs after "Verifying DMI Pool Data.......". Tried restarting several times but no joy.

So I'm a bit (!) stuck as it won't boot from either CD or HD.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.

PS I should add that the CD is the first boot device. Also when "Verifying DMI ..." appears, I hear th the CD drive start to speed up but only for about a second and then it stops.

Hi spacific

If I remember, this problem has reared it's head a couple of times in this thread. It only affects some systems and I don't know why I does it. Have a read through this thread (I guess after maybe page 10), but there is also a link to a generic bootCD on my front page (in the BootCD instructions) which might help your boot in to your system.

Not getting anywhere. It makes no difference whether I use the Boot CD or the Boot132, nothing happens, it won't boot.

If I switch back to AHCI disabled and plug back in a Windows Sata drive then it boots into Windows with everything working so it doesn't look like a hardware failure.

Switching back to AHCI enabled and my OSX Sata drive (in Sata 0, of course) and either of the boot CDs, then I'm back to the no-boot situation.

With AHCI on, in the BIOS under Standard CMOS features there are no drives listed under the IDE Channels... -- is that correct?

Ah, just tried something: I unplugged the hard drive. THIS TIME IT DOES BOOT (using the Boot CD). Yes, but now there's no hard drive to start up! !

Thanks for any help.

(GA-EP45-DS3L F10, 4GB, Core 2 Duo.)

AAAHHH!!! What have I done?

I installed Chameleon on my MacMini hard drive by accident. Is this a problem? I haven't turned it off in case it won't reboot.

Actually it is a bit confusing: I thought by "installing" the Chameleon package I was installing an application that I would later run to do its job on an external drive. But no, installing here means running as well.

Anyway, have I ruined my MacMini boot drive? B)

Thanks.

Why did you try to install Chameleon on your real mac?

To quote from the Chameleon website:

Note for Mac users:

Chameleon is developed to boot Darwin/Mac OS X on PCs, it doesn’t work on Macs.

Please don’t install Chameleon to your system drive, we got many failure reports with unbootable Macs after installing Chameleon.

All I can suggest is you read here: h t t p://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,754.msg3288.html#msg3288

Why did you try to install Chameleon on your real mac?

As I explained, by accident, of course. And it is clear that this is fairly common.

Could I suggest that you insert a highlighted warning in your excellent guide to be careful to choose the correct drive/partition? And that, the installer is NOT installing an application to be run later (like most installers) but is actually changing the bootloader. I know you say "Run the Chameleon installer you downloaded earlier and select the Chameleon partition as the target location." But I still thought I had to install the software first, like you do with almost every other Apple software.

Just a thought to help lots of others in the future.

Thanks.

EDIT: In case anyone with the same problem finds this: Lots of the methods mentioned in that link did not work for me, but the use of fdisk did work. So now I can get back to my DS3L... :rolleyes:

Great.

Now for a question, as I have partial success and then failure with different attempts to get this working:

I am installing 10.5.6, then 10.5.7, on an external (USB) drive using a MacMini.

At what point in the process do I install the drive as an internal drive in the PC?

(1) Is it just after installing Chameleon in step 4, or

(2) after configuring Chameleon in step 5?

I thought it was (2) but the phrase "restart the machine" in step 6 indicates that it must have been started before, so perhaps it is (1). (If I'm running on a MacMini will the kexts I copy from the new install reflect that fact -- i.e. the wrong hardware?)

So, just when do I move the drive from Mac to PC?

Many thanks if you can help.

Hi spacific

Just so I get this right, you are installing on to a SATA HDD inside an external USB enclosure with the aim of setting it up so you can just plug it on to your PC?

If that's correct, then you should be able to complete up to section 6 in the guide from your MacMini before plugging it in to your PC. You probably have this done already but make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI. Then boot your PC, selecting the new HDD in BIOS ;)

Just so I get this right, you are installing on to a SATA HDD inside an external USB enclosure with the aim of setting it up so you can just plug it on to your PC?

If that's correct, then you should be able to complete up to section 6 in the guide from your MacMini before plugging it in to your PC. You probably have this done already but make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI. Then boot your PC, selecting the new HDD in BIOS ;)

Yes, that is correct. Thanks for the clarification. I have done exactly that before but then started to think that some of the kexts would have been tailored for the MacMini instead of the PC hardware, so then tried a different route... which wasn't that successful.

Right, I'm going to try again from scratch, and it is going to work this time...

Very many thanks for your time and help.

Hi blackosx;

i have a ga-965p-ds3 v1 f6.

i installed snowleopard universal v3.5 (10A423) with minimal kexts and i got it installed successfully, when i booted snow leopard i got no errors and after the DSMOS has arrived msg the welcome screen cameup and the setting menu after that, i clicked on Canada for region and us for keyboard But just after a choose "do not transfer ........" and i clicked continue button it seems like it is not going to the next page and if i click the greyd continue again the cursor turns into a spinning colored circle and stay like that forever.

What is going on man why it is not turning to next page, i think it is freezing but from what as long it was booted and the welcome screen cameup! help me please ....

thanks in advance

My install went well this time. Except that I get the wrong screen size: 1024 by 768, whereas my monitor can take 1600 by 1200. System Prefs shows only one option: 1024 by 768.

I have tried adding the <key>Graphics Mode</key><string>1600x1200x32</string> to Chameleon's com.apple.Boot.plist but it makes no difference.

If I put my monitor in "native" mode then the Mac desktop is a 1024 by 768 rectangle in the centre of the monitor.

Could it be my graphics card: Radeon HD 3450? In EFIStudio the closest I could find was HD 3400, so maybe that isn't a close enough match. Any advice? Many thanks.

(Have tried searching the thread but, and I find this hard to believe, looking for "screen size" returned nothing. In fact searching for "screen" also returned nothing! Possible I suppose, if no one else has had screen issues.)

What is going on man why it is not turning to next page, i think it is freezing but from what as long it was booted and the welcome screen cameup! help me please ....

Hi maly70 - Why use larger, bold text?

I don't know why your install won't let you past the "do not transfer ........" option.. I think I remember this happening for somebody else a long time back. All I can suggest it reading through the start of this thread or the insanely forums to try and find an answer. I guess it's probably hardware related but I don't know as I don't have your mobo. Try unplugging any extra hardware if you have any? maybe even try a different keyboard & mouse. But, sorry maly70 - I don't know.

My install went well this time. Except that I get the wrong screen size: 1024 by 768, whereas my monitor can take 1600 by 1200. System Prefs shows only one option: 1024 by 768.

Could it be my graphics card: Radeon HD 3450? In EFIStudio the closest I could find was HD 3400, so maybe that isn't a close enough match. Any advice? Many thanks.

Hi spacific - Well done with your install.

There is this thread talking about the Radeon 3450... see if that helps? but as far as a device (EFI) string or patching it in to DSDT goes, I don't know.

EDIT: Also read this post by netkas.

Hi spacific - Well done with your install.

There is this thread talking about the Radeon 3450... see if that helps? but as far as a device (EFI) string or patching it in to DSDT goes, I don't know.

Thanks Blackosx, appreciated.

Just off the top of your head, without researching this problem, can you advise me where other kexts should be installed: on the MacOSX volume or on the Chameleon volume? Cheers.

With my installs, I always try to put all kexts in Chameleon's /Extra folder and if one wouldn't work from there then I would try something else and not use it. However that it not always practical and if you really really need to add a kext to the system then it shall go in to /System/Library/Extensions. Don't just drop it in there yourself though, you will need to install it properly. The easiest way is this an app called Kext Helper b7.

First, thanks for a great guide, blackosx.

Second. I'm doing everything by the book (actually the PDF), but a few things still doesn't work for me. Updating to 10.5.7 is a no go as I get "You cannot install Mac OS X Update Combined to this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

So I skipped the update and went on with the Chameleon stuff. I'm pretty sure I've done everything as it says in the tutorial, but I still get a "gray screen of death" as soon as I boot into "Macintosh" from Chameleon.

Any ideas to why I can't update nor boot 10.5.6?

Thanks in advance.

Øyvind

Hi opet

I would stop at this error "You cannot install Mac OS X Update Combined to this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." and try to work out why? I have never seen this before.... So is your retail DVD v10.5.6? Maybe try the 10.5.8 Combo Updater?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I agree. I should've stopped at that point, but in desperation I figured it might still work. But it didn't.

Yes, the disk is the retail disk and the install is fine. Haven't tried the 10.5.8 combo. Would it not require any other kexts etc?

I feel really stupid to be the only one with this problem. I've googled for hours and the only other people I can find with the same problems are people trying to install on macbooks. I've installed the same updates on my MBP and had no problems doing it.

Ok. I'm officially stupid...

Sorry for all the troubles, but it was just me fooling around. I accidentally used the SL disk image (named the same). No wonder it didn't work or wouldn't let me "upgrade"...

Well. I installed with the correct OS and everything works perfect! Thanks!

Sorry again...

Ok. I'm officially stupid...

Sorry for all the troubles, but it was just me fooling around. I accidentally used the SL disk image (named the same). No wonder it didn't work or wouldn't let me "upgrade"...

Well. I installed with the correct OS and everything works perfect! Thanks!

Don't worry about it and well done. I am happy for you that your system is working ;)