[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

Hi, would you please clarify what you mean by checking system.log

Hi guys, see the attached screen shot for reference. See if that helps locate if the error is there.

Or go to the terminal and type grep UUID /var/log/system.log and see what returns.

post-331032-1246991902_thumb.jpg

me too when try to use Time Machine on a parition of the same boot disk or on external hd on usb

in var log i have

Jul  7 21:27:54 Mac ntpd[41]: time reset +0.161787 s
Jul  7 21:28:04 Mac System Preferences[194]: Time Machine: Error setting backup path: Error Domain=com.apple.TimeMachine.Preferences Code=-1 UserInfo=0x178d64d0 "Time Machine could not be configured. The built in network interface could not be found."
Jul  7 21:28:04 Mac [0x0-0x15015].com.apple.systempreferences[194]: _CSBackupGetMachineMACAddress - IOServiceGetMatchingServices did not find an ethernet service with kIOPrimaryInterface true
Jul  7 21:28:35 Mac /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[199]: Backup requested by user
Jul  7 21:28:35 Mac /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[199]: Starting standard backup
Jul  7 21:28:40 Mac /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[199]: Backup failed with error: 17

Guys, can someone test Audio from these kexts?

AppleHDA.kext for ALC888 (Gigabyte), tested on GA-EP45-UD3LR / GA-EP43-DS3L.

1.5.7a24 888.zip

1.6.2a37 888.zip

Topic: ALC889A, Gigabyte, Various AppleHDA.kexts are available. Updated 26-05-2009

Some users posts that with these AppleHDA, can use all output/input work..

I cant test it now with my GA-EP43-DS3L, cause my CPU crashed..

Ps1: Make backup from AppleHDA, and remove all injector / enablers from /S/L/E, then install it.

Ps2: I dont know if it works from /Extra folder..

Regards.

me too when try to use Time Machine on a parition of the same boot disk or on external hd on usb

in var log i have

Jul  7 21:27:54 Mac ntpd[41]: time reset +0.161787 s
Jul  7 21:28:04 Mac System Preferences[194]: Time Machine: Error setting backup path: Error Domain=com.apple.TimeMachine.Preferences Code=-1 UserInfo=0x178d64d0 "Time Machine could not be configured. The built in network interface could not be found."
Jul  7 21:28:04 Mac [0x0-0x15015].com.apple.systempreferences[194]: _CSBackupGetMachineMACAddress - IOServiceGetMatchingServices did not find an ethernet service with kIOPrimaryInterface true
Jul  7 21:28:35 Mac /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[199]: Backup requested by user
Jul  7 21:28:35 Mac /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[199]: Starting standard backup
Jul  7 21:28:40 Mac /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[199]: Backup failed with error: 17

Hi Z4g0r

Can you please verify that you do or don't have the _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error:35.?

Hi Z4g0r

Can you please verify that you do or don't have the _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error:35.?

Yes. I put the UUID Kekt updated with mine mac address in the /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extension and after i generate the Extensions.mkext. At the reboot, in the var log, there isnt the error:35

Hi robotfactory. Thanks for trying out the guide.

For Time Machine, Can you check your System Profiler / Software / Logs / system.log for the _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error:35

If it's present then can you double check the change you made to the UUID -key in the UUID.kext?

For the Audio, what you have is correct, as with voodooHDA on my system, system profiler doesn't show any audio either. But it shows up in the sound preference pane.

Hope this helps?

:P

hi blackosx. i checked my system.log and i do have that error. the info.plist file inside of my UUID.kext has the changes (with my Ethernet MAC address) but I am thinking i might have not repaired the permission correctly so perhaps the change was not fully applied?

i am kind of a noob to a lot of the terminal processes and i was a bit lost by the directions given in the thread you linked in your guide with regards to the UUID.kext changes. i fully understand and completed the modification to the UUID.kext info.plist file, but i dont think i got the terminal commands to work property to repair the permissions.

what commands did you use, since my install is verbatim to your guide (i created a separate chameleon partition) and not like the post you linked in your guide.

thanks for the help!

what commands did you use, since my install is verbatim to your guide (i created a separate chameleon partition) and not like the post you linked in your guide.

Hi robotfactory

All I did was edit my UUID.kext from /Extra/Extensions and change

<key>UUID-key</key>
<string>00000000-0000-1000-8000-001FD08A10D3</string>

Where 001FD08A10D3 = my Ethernet Mac Address which is 00:1f:d0:8a:10:d3

Then I just rebuilt Extensions.mkext and it worked.

Don't worry about the permissions as they only really matter when installing Chameleon on either an EFI or system partition.

Have another go and let me know how you get on :P

Yes. I put the UUID Kekt updated with mine mac address in the /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extension and after i generate the Extensions.mkext. At the reboot, in the var log, there isnt the error:35

Z4g0r ,Thanks for confirming you do not have Error: 35

But you do have Error _CSBackupGetMachineMACAddress - IOServiceGetMatchingServices did not find an ethernet service with kIOPrimaryInterface true.

As I can't repeat it on my system, all I can do is look in to this for you . Sorry not to be more helpful at the moment. But if I find an answer I will let you know. Or if you find an answer then please let me know.

:P

Guys, can someone test Audio from these kexts?

AppleHDA.kext for ALC888 (Gigabyte), tested on GA-EP45-UD3LR / GA-EP43-DS3L.

1.5.7a24 888.zip

1.6.2a37 888.zip

thiagomorales,

I have tried both of these in /Extra/Extensions and leaving the retail install untouched and they do not work, unless they need dependencies in /Extra/Extensions?

Z4g0r ,Thanks for confirming you do not have Error: 35

But you do have Error _CSBackupGetMachineMACAddress - IOServiceGetMatchingServices did not find an ethernet service with kIOPrimaryInterface true.

As I can't repeat it on my system, all I can do is look in to this for you . Sorry not to be more helpful at the moment. But if I find an answer I will let you know. Or if you find an answer then please let me know.

:unsure:

i dont have the manual (3) of th plist of UUID.kext and i see a specification of language. My MacOS is italian, but paramters of mac address dont have translation. In fact my error message was write in italian, i translate it.

UUID plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
-->  <string>English</string>   <---
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>UUID</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.free.driver.UUID</string>

or maybe not ...

Mac ADDR in system profiler and in ifconfig of en0 are the same and i put correct mac in the info.plist of UUID

the mac of FW0 isnt specified in UUID

in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

address are translated in exadecimal code, how to translate to compare?

But probably it is correct.

Network and fireware works very well

but the error generate by Time Machine is clear

_CSBackupGetMachineMACAddress - IOServiceGetMatchingServices did not find an ethernet service with kIOPrimaryInterface true

i dont have any sources :angry:

So, did you finally fix the time machine problem, or not ??

I have not tried yet ;)

_CSBackupGetMachineMACAddress - IOServiceGetMatchingServices did not find an ethernet service with kIOPrimaryInterface true

All I can find to help is these... (which you have probably read already)

http://p c w i z c o m p u t e r .com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&catid=18&id=549#562

maybe this can help?

http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/GetP...s/listing1.html

I will keep looking for an answer for you. :wallbash:

This might not be any use but there's this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1179519

Another happy report for your guide Blackosx :) Although I followed the version you originally posted as part of lensboard's thread, rather than this one. I also skipped the sound related stuff because I have an iMac I was planning to attach anyway.

But. I also have this time machine problem.

So far, I tried adding a device string retrieved by efi studio to the boot.plist used by chameleon - but it messed up the video - the were both added with key of 'device-properties' I think maybe they got munged together. :)

Currently looking around.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist certainly has IOBuiltin set to false, which is obviously why TM baulks. Haven't yet figured out how to have it set true.

I'm looking to avoid any other patched kexts if possible :)

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist certainly has IOBuiltin set to false, which is obviously why TM baulks. Haven't yet figured out how to have it set true.

I'm looking to avoid any other patched kexts if possible :)

Hi ZenGiga, Thanks for trying my install method and reporting back.

Sorry you have the Time Machine issue as well. :)

This is starting to bug me now as it seems it's a few of you are having the same problems.

On my system, in NetworkInterfaces.plist, IOBuiltin is set to false too.. So it can't be that?

Thanks for trying to help sort the problem :)

New Post at a Fix Attempt

Hi

Can one of you who has the time machine problem try something for me on their system?

I have attached a DSDT.aml file which needs to be unzipped and added to Chameleon's /Extra folder.

Then reboot and see if the time machine problem is still there?

Thanks

dsdt.aml.zip

On my system, in NetworkInterfaces.plist, IOBuiltin is set to false too.. So it can't be that?

Well, it seems it can on mine!

Apparently you only have one device properties hex string in boot.plist, but it has to include all your devices - I figured out how to get both devices (my Nvidia GTS 250 and the GA-ep45-ds3l onboard ethernet) in one hex string, put it in chameleon's com.apple.boot.plist, rebooted and tada! IOBuiltin is set to true.

More importantly Time machine has now let me select a disk and is currently in the process of backing up to my usb backup drive :)

There must be some difference in our setup. I'm using Bios version 10, I only have built in Ethernet, no PCI card...

More details on how to create a combined efi string after Torchwood finishes :)

Well, it seems it can on mine!

Apparently you only have one device properties hex string in boot.plist, but it has to include all your devices - I figured out how to get both devices (my Nvidia GTS 250 and the GA-ep45-ds3l onboard ethernet) in one hex string, put it in chameleon's com.apple.boot.plist, rebooted and tada! IOBuiltin is set to true.

More importantly Time machine has now let me select a disk and is currently in the process of backing up to my usb backup drive :D

There must be some difference in our setup. I'm using Bios version 10, I only have built in Ethernet, no PCI card...

More details on how to create a combined efi string after Torchwood finishes :D

ZenGiga - This is fantastic work. Well done :)

With regard to our setups, you're right there must be a difference. I am using F10, only use built in Ethernet, No PCI. I also have a bluetooth dongle?... Do you think it could be a BIOS setting?

I have only ever combined devices when using DSDT.aml, hence the test file I posted earlier.

Hopefully this time machine problem can be put to bed?.....

ZenGiga - This is fantastic work. Well done :D

With regard to our setups, you're right there must be a difference. I am using F10, only use built in Ethernet, No PCI. I also have a bluetooth dongle?... Do you think it could be a BIOS setting?

I have only ever combined devices when using DSDT.aml, hence the test file I posted earlier.

Well, my friend. I have changed UUID , rebuilded mkext, and it did not run well.

I have tested including DSDT.aml, and nothing new happened.

I have F10 motherboard BIOS. I only use built in ethernet, no pci, and by now I don't use a bluetooth dongle but I could, as I have 3 to test.

I will try as many times as it takes !!!

Thank you again everybody !!! :)

I have tested including DSDT.aml, and nothing new happened.

Thanks for trying it though. :)

Well it looks like the destiny of this time machine problem might be in the hands of ZenGiga? (Let's see what happens after Torchwood finishes :D )

Ah, yes, I meant to mention the bios - there is that setting, about loading the ROM at boot:

Onboard LAN boot ROM

I know I turned that on in the beginning, but can't remember if I turned off since, might have done. Will need to reboot to check though..and time machine is currently only 10% done backing up. Might need to wait till tomorrow.

How do you have it set?

Looks like it is fairly simple. Basically use efi studio to add a device hex string for the on board Ethernet. Choose Ethernet in the drop down and click add ;)

Copy the hex string to chameleon's com.apple.boot.plist, just as you would for a graphics card, reboot and it should be ok. The problem is if you already have a device_properties string, for say a graphics card, in this case you need to create a combined string for both devices - you can't just paste the hex strings together - rather you have to create a combined plist and convert that to hex.

COMBINING EFI STRINGS for a BOOT.plist

Efi studio makes it easy to add a single device to your com.apple.boot.plist but I can't see an easy way to add two devices (it lets you add them to it's list but I can't figure out how to output them :/ )

I have a double problem because my graphics card isn't listed by efi studio. (I created a plist/string for the gts 250 as described by aquamac here http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=509).

What I did was create the plist for the graphics card (as above, using gfxutil, you can use efistudio if you gfx card is listed) and for the on board Ethernet separately. Save them out of efi studio as 'xml', a plist in other words. Then open them up in a text editor of your choice and combine them carefully moving only the key and dict sections from one plist to the other, you should end up with something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>@0,compatible</key>
	<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
	<key>@0,device_type</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>@0,name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
	<key>@1,compatible</key>
	<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
	<key>@1,device_type</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>@1,name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
	<key>@2,#adress-cells</key>
	<string>0x01000000</string>
	<key>@2,#size-cells</key>
	<string>0x00000000</string>
	<key>@2,compatible</key>
	<string>NVDA,sensor-parent</string>
	<key>@2,device_type</key>
	<string>NVDA,gpu-diode</string>
	<key>@2,hwctrl-params-version</key>
	<string>0x02000000</string>
	<key>@2,hwsensor-params-version</key>
	<key>@2,name</key>
	<string>sensor-parent</string>
	<key>@2,reg</key>
	<key>NVCAP</key>
	<data>BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=</data>
	<key>NVPM</key>
	<data>AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
	<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
	<data>AAAAIA==</data>
	<key>device_type</key>
	<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>
	<key>model</key>
	<string>NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250</string>
	<key>name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
	<key>rom-revision</key>
	<string>3172a</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1c,0x5)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	<dict>
	<key>built-in</key>
	<string>0x01</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

The first key is the gfx card, the second the on board Ethernet.

Then in efi studio do 'file > open xml' open the combined plist you just made and it'll create the combined hex string in the lower box. Copy that hex string to chameleon's com.apple.boot.plist in the usual device-properties section and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps. Worked for me.

Ah, yes, I meant to mention the bios - there is that setting, about loading the ROM at boot:

Onboard LAN boot ROM

I know I turned that on in the beginning, but can't remember if I turned off since, might have done. Will need to reboot to check though..and time machine is currently only 10% done backing up. Might need to wait till tomorrow.

How do you have it set?

Thank you very much for the comprehensive response ZenGiga. If this has worked for you, then I hope it will work for the others too. As you have documented the process so well I will leave it up to the others for testing.

EDIT: I have just tried the process and it's straightforward.

Please can everyone with the Time Machine problem try ZenGiga's fix. If you have any problems with the instructions then please let me know.

BTW, yes I do have the Onboard H/W LAN enabled in BIOS.

Thanks again. ;)

BTW, yes I do have the Onboard H/W LAN enabled in BIOS.

Well, yes. Just to be completely clear I was talking about the ROM option.

In BIOS I apparently have:

Onboard H/W LAN: enabled

<more options>

Onboard LAN Boot ROM: disabled

I was talking about the second option - I read elsewhere that this should be on, it's possible that has some bearing on whether in NetworkInterfaces.plist, IOBuiltin is set to false or true.

So does:

Onboard LAN Boot ROM: disabled == IOBuiltin is set to false

Onboard LAN Boot ROM: enabled == IOBuiltin is set to true

I wonder?

Thought I would check in. Has anyone gotten auto sleep to work with this install on this board? I have this board and have done a retail install of 10.5.6 and auto sleep was working. Update to 10.5.7 - no auto sleep. It would be nice to hear if someone has gotten auto sleep to work.

scott

Well, yes. Just to be completely clear I was talking about the ROM option.

In BIOS I apparently have:

<more options>

I was talking about the second option - I read elsewhere that this should be on, it's possible that has some bearing on whether in NetworkInterfaces.plist, IOBuiltin is set to false or true.

So does:

Onboard LAN Boot ROM: disabled == IOBuiltin is set to false

Onboard LAN Boot ROM: enabled == IOBuiltin is set to true

I wonder?

Sorry for being presumptuous..

I checked my BIOS settings this morning, and they are set to.

But I have only just read your post asking if the IOBuiltin flag is toggled depending on the setting of Onboard LAN Boot ROM. I will have to check that tonight :P

But I have only just read your post asking if the IOBuiltin flag is toggled depending on the setting of Onboard LAN Boot ROM. I will have to check that tonight :P

Sounds like that's no different anyway. It probably doesn't make any difference. Just came across Bart86 talking about the Ethernet efi string fixing TM too, but for the GA-EP45-UD3R http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1176748 so it seems like I was on the right track. He also mentions UIinstaller to create the combined efi string, maybe that's easier than efi studio.

Has anyone gotten auto sleep to work with this install on this board?

I haven't actually tried. And now I'm reluctant too :P

These might help:

Different board, but lots of talk about the brand of dvd drive affecting auto sleep, and putting a dvd in to fix it...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1176748

Another mention of DVD drive affecting auto sleep:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=171929

Complicated stuff...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t168014.html

No time to experiment right now though.