[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

if you follow my guides, then yes, the only place changes will be made is /Extra. So it's wise to keep a back up of Extra (that you know is working), then add/remove kexts, change DSDT.aml etc one at a time so you know what's working or not. Or as you say, use a USB stick to boot the system using the /Extra folder on that.

Sigh, I still haven't been able to sort out my usb KB not being detected every now and then on startup. =/

I tried the UHCI/EHCI fix I mentioned, and it did make all my usb ports show up as onboard now. However, the kb problem persists. Also, today I had to reconnect my printer. So this is just very confusing for me. It's never affected my mouse or USB Sound, USB BT Dongle.

Thanks Blackosx for this excellent guide. :)

I managed to install and update to 10.5.8

Everything is running as what you indicated ;) .

Only concern is that my CPU ( Core 2 ) is running a bit on the high side (50 deg C) and I am concerned that AppleIntelcpupowermanagement.kext might be the culprit.

I have disabler.kext in Extra/Extensions and AppleIntelcpupowermanagement.kext in /S/L/E.

When I checked using terminal 'kextstat', I see both disabler as well as AppleIntelcpupowermanagement are loaded.

Is this normal?

I thought that disabler is supposed to block AppleIntelcpupowermanagement from loading.

Then why AppleIntelcpupowermanagement is still loaded?

Looking forward to your guidance.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Hi helob

There was an issue with sleep when 10.5.8 first came out. So to get round the problem I found that I could use DSDT.aml and leave AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext running so sleep would work.

But since, Pista7 has released SleepEnabler.kext which will allow sleep in 10.5.8 with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement blocked. So to see which Disabler you have, right-click on Disabler.kext and select 'Show Package Contents', then double-click the info.plist in the Contents folder you can see what it's doing. There have been a few different versions of Disabler.kext and I can't rememeber which one you have. Can you see AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement in there? if so then it is blocking it and you should have slower temps.

But I feel that you may have a disabler which doesn't block it.

Hi helob

There was an issue with sleep when 10.5.8 first came out. So to get round the problem I found that I could use DSDT.aml and leave AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext running so sleep would work.

But since, Pista7 has released SleepEnabler.kext which will allow sleep in 10.5.8 with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement blocked. So to see which Disabler you have, right-click on Disabler.kext and select 'Show Package Contents', then double-click the info.plist in the Contents folder you can see what it's doing. There have been a few different versions of Disabler.kext and I can't rememeber which one you have. Can you see AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement in there? if so then it is blocking it and you should have slower temps.

But I feel that you may have a disabler which doesn't block it.

blackosx,

Thank you for your prompt reply and patient.

I cheched contents of Disabler and it show following under

IOKitPersonalities:

AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler

IntelCPUPMDisabler>IOMatchCategory>AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

So AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement does show.

If Disabler is doing its blocking work, should AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement be shown as loaded in kextstat list?

Would appreciate if you can check on your setup whether AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and disabler are shown in the kextstat list ?

Thank you and have a nice day.

Hi megabytes

I guess you have read through the thread as we did have a look in to a PCI card issue and didn't really solve anything. But can you try using IORegistryExplorer to see if the system recognises the card, as that would be first step.

The card is indeed recognised by the system.

I tried to fix it with OSXtools, but no luck. Although now i am able to use it if i boot in safe mode (-x).

I have used it (very fast) while in safe mode and it works great, but if i boot normally, it doesn't recognise it.

I am not sure what to do!! i have been running in safe mode for over a week now.

Thanks again for your help!!

blackosx,

Thank you for your prompt reply and patient.

I cheched contents of Disabler and it show following under

IOKitPersonalities:

AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler

IntelCPUPMDisabler>IOMatchCategory>AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

So AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement does show.

If Disabler is doing its blocking work, should AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement be shown as loaded in kextstat list?

Would appreciate if you can check on your setup whether AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and disabler are shown in the kextstat list ?

Thank you and have a nice day.

If your Disabler.kext contains 'AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement' then it should be doing it's job. I am mostly using Snow Leopard now, but I still have a 10.5.8 system installed, but I don't know how long for...

As for your temps. My CPU runs at 50 degrees C when I leave AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement running, but it comes down to around 42 degrees C when I have it disabled.

Next time I boot in to 10.5.8 i will check my kextstat results.

EDIT: I am in 10.5.8 now and my Disabler contains AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, but sudo kextstat show it running, and my temps are 43 degrees.

The card is indeed recognised by the system.

I tried to fix it with OSXtools, but no luck. Although now i am able to use it if i boot in safe mode (-x).

I have used it (very fast) while in safe mode and it works great, but if i boot normally, it doesn't recognise it.

I am not sure what to do!! i have been running in safe mode for over a week now.

Thanks again for your help!!

I don't know why your wireless card is only recognised in safe mode - maybe it's to do with an apple driver loading when not in safe mode?... Unfortunately I don't use one so I can't do any tests on my system.

Hi spacr, Well done :)

What do you mean video & music is in fast forward if you have no audio?

Your audio will work by selecting ALC888 for your patched DSDT as I have shown in my DSDT guide. Then just add the LegacyHDA.kext to /Extra and it should work.

Hi spacr, Well done :thumbsup_anim:

Your audio will work by selecting ALC888 for your patched DSDT as I have shown in my DSDT guide. Then just add the LegacyHDA.kext to /Extra and it should work.

I see that I'm gonna have to dive into dsdt.

In iTunes the seconds go by really fast and all flash videos online play in fast forward

I'm goin to try a fresh reinstall for the 10th time. I hope the dsdt fixes my problems.

I have never heard of that happening before spacr. I don't know what the problem could be and I don't know if DSDT will fix that... and if you are just going to redo your DSDT then why re-install? DSDT is independent of your system.

thanks for the prompt reply.

I want to reinstall in hopes of getting a working dual boot system and hopefully fix whatever problem I am having. I'm assuming something didn't go right during the install. I only have 1 sata drive and no money so dual boot is my only option at the moment. I can do this! Lol

OK. Investigation complete! This isn't ever gonna work :)

Things I've learnt:

Even if the card doesn't appear in system profiler it can still work. IOreg is more reliable for exploration of attached devices/cards etc.

You can add an efi string to get system profile reporting the pci card as for other cards.

I thought I'd have a shot at adding an efi string to device properties for this scsi card to see if that helped, and it did in the sense that I actually ended up with an error message in system.log rather than it just not working:

Aug 5 14:32:40 localhost kernel[0]: com.adaptec.driver.7860 isn't a valid mach-o (magic is cefaedfe)

Aug 5 14:32:40 localhost kernel[0]: error mapping module file com.adaptec.driver.7860

Aug 5 14:32:40 localhost kernel[0]: can't map com.adaptec.driver.7860 in preparation for loading

Aug 5 14:32:40 localhost kernel[0]: Can't determine dependencies for com.adaptec.driver.7860.

Aug 5 14:32:40 localhost kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "ADPT7860SCSIController"

Some googling and then I looked at the driver with otool:

otool -h /System/Library/Extensions/Adaptec290X-2930.kext/Contents/MacOS/Adaptec290X-2930

Which gives:

Mach header

magic cputype cpusubtype caps filetype ncmds sizeofcmds flags

0xfeedface 18 0 0x00 1 3 664 0x00000000

See that cputype = 18? that's PPC. Basically this ancient adaptec driver is ppc only, which is why it works on the g4 but not on the hack. And apple no longer build in scsi drivers for this card (dropped them in 10.4 I believe).

So basically adding an efi string may get your pci card noticed, but of course you still need working drivers.

I've hooked my scanner up to the g4, I'll have to accept that I guess :)

So nothing to do with this install or mobo, just bad drivers.

Hi Zengiga and thanks for the info.

Could you explain how to add the efi string for a PCI device which has compatible drivers with my hackintosh?

Do i need to use OSX Tools?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Hi spacr, Well done ;)

Ive got my dsdt and am now running 10.5.8 but I still have no audio. It shows up under system profiler fine. Im using the patched legacyHDA.kext. I tried both 888 entries in ACPI patcher as well.

Itunes and video on the net still play fast but avi's play fine. This OSX is a mixed bag for sure

*edit

I just reinstalled AGAIN and what do you know.... it worked! I have sound aaannndd all my fast forward issues are fixed! Now onto dual boot!!!!

Hi,

Thank you for your guides, they helped my alot, thank you very much.

One notice:

Installing Chameleon RC2 from Snow Leopard to a Dive which is attached via USB might fail. (at least here)

I used an older version which installed right.

Have a nice day!

dl

What kexts do I need if I'm using a DSDT (with the CMOS, SATA, and EHCI fixes) on a system upgraded to 10.5.8?

Right now I've only got:

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

The system wont sleep, and the HDD icon is orange. What kexts do I need to add to fix that?

I tried adding the SleepEnabler.kext from your Snow Leopard guide, but it doesn't work either. I know sleep can work, because I had it up and running with the same DSDT and Snow Leopard (via your guide), but I needed to downgrade for Pro Tools compatability

Edit: Solved my orange icon problem. It was problem with the location of my SATA fix in the DSDT, but my sleep still isn't working

You can check if you have ticked the System Prefs / EnergySaver options. But sleep can be down to mostly hardware, so try sleeping your system without any extra hardware attached, if you're using any. Maybe try a different DVD drive, or mouse or keyboard, to try and identify the culprit.

Thanks to all- seriously--way better than any distro. steep learning curve, but better results.

I'm having trouble with How to patch DSDT with LAN and HDEF functions.pdf , specifically last part- modding "Make it simple by copy and paste" section for legacyHDA. Maybe i'm an eget, but i don't follow what I'm supposed to copy nor where supposed to paste. trying to get audio for GA-EP45-UD3L working. Patched DSDT and graphics card works perfectly 9500GT on 10.5 updated to 10.5.7 retail using ThinkBoot.

When I pull up about this mac, audio- it shows all my connections correctly. am using 4outs2ins regular headphone for 888 in stock format. i get no ins/outs in sound/ sys prefs. I'm so slose I can smell it, but close makes no muzak come out of my speakers! kext utility is geared for chameleon and won't find my EFI extenions folder in bootthink. not having luck modifying hdakext (or whatever instructions say to do!) nor do i feel mkext is correct.

Please spoonfeed me! GA-EP45-UD3L -- do i copy parts of legacyHDA to 10.5.7 HDAkext or vica-versa? Too many attempts to count. head spinning.

thanks in advance.

Hi paqintosh

You are so close.... well done. So for audio, all I can tell you is what I have detailed in my DSDT guide (link in my sig). Where I have just selected ALC888-0 with HDEF in ACPIPatcher then added the LegacyHDA, from tmongkol's thread, in to /E/E. That's it, it works :)

My guides use Chameleon v2 rather than BootThink, so I can't help you with anything specific about that.