[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

If so the just wipe the Chameleon partition in Disk utility and re-install it. You should be used to knowing what goes in there by now. This will put your system back to how it was before you added your DSDT.aml, and as you will have left the retail install untouched you can be sure that it will still work :P

Sorry, probably I wasn't clear in my description of the situation. After failing with DSDT & 10.6, I just did what you suggest above. First, just restore the /E from backup, then (seeing that the network problem still remained) I erased the Chameleon partition and reinstalled it & copied the same kexts as before. Still no good, so I reinstalled OS X + Cham, following the same steps as before, as you described in your guide. In between these steps I checked the BIOS setup multiple times & loaded default settings etc.

So, in a nutshell, the same setup of kexts & /E that worked before isn't working now, and I just don't know what I was doing differently the first time (nothing, I think). ;)

After a few days of experiments it really drives me crazy that on Windows XP there's nothing wrong with the network. Maybe I'll buy a PCI LAN card.

Anyway, thank you for the answer, and also for your work here on insanely, your guides are really great!

(Quick note for your DSDT Guide: in ACPiPatcher, although PEGP isn't present in my graphics path, OS X doesn't load the graphics driver without checking it. It's probably an issue specific for UD3LR, maybe worth mentioning.)

@csd79

Well if you have tried a complete re-install of OS X and Chameleon and your LAN is still not working then I baffled too, because you say it works in Windows..

The only thing I can think of then is to power off your machine, unplug it from the main and leave it until the CMOS clears, maybe even try taking out the battery too.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer but I can't, sorry.

Thanks for the note about the DSDT. My guide is very basic and serves a purpose to give an introduction of generating a DSDT.aml. Every setup is different and it's down to trial and error to get everything working. But well done ;)

@EnzoFX

To get Win7 to boot with your system, you will have to actually select the 'System Reserved' option in Chameleon.

If you install Win 7 on the first partition of a hard drive, it will install the 200MB partition. However, I in my dual boot guide, I installed Win7 on to the 3rd partition, and Win 7 didn't create the 200MB partition. Chameleon will also show any HFS+ partitions with a bootable system on it.

Yes! By selecting "NTFS" as the boot option (which is the 200mb partition) it boots Win7. Thank you, I don't know why I didn't think to try that =P

But it also lists the Win 7 partition in Chameleon, along with a HFS partition that's used simply for file storage.

Any way to remove these from being listed by Chameleon. If so, I would then want to rename "NTFS" to "Windows"...

I don't know if it's possible to de-list items in Chameleon, but I'll look into it, thanks again.

No problem :)

Chameleon will always list any NTFS partition it sees because at the moment there is no way for it to distinguish between them as it can't read NTFS. And it probably never will as the developers only have something like 300bytes available to fit the code in to the system.

As for non-bootable HFS+ partitions, the latest RC2 v640 shouldn't show those.

For further details, google for voodooprojects forums and have a read on there. :)

Silly me, Chameleon 2 is working properly. It is showing that storage HFS partition, because I restored an image to it! =P

I used your guide as a loose basis of install, but there is one thing I can't get to work right now. Sleep on Idle, i.e. auto sleep.

I can only sleep manually, and wake with Power Button (I really would also like to wake with usb kb/mouse). Because sleep works, I don't think a lot of fixes found here apply. Such as the "check 'restart after power failure' fix"

Which is an odd thing because I simply don't have that option listed in my Energy Saver Prefs =/. No leads as to why it's not there.

This guide was very helpful in setting up /E/E including the boot.plist and mkext. I'm also using your disabler.kext to fix the same mouse lag with my 9800gt =D. However, I am still installing 4 kexts into /S/L/E, AFAIK, it is recommended to install these into /S/L/E, and I'm not sure if they'll work if I put them in /E/E

The kexts are: AppleSMBIOSEFI, IOAHCIFamily (Because of ICH9 on P35), OpenHaltRestart, and RealtekR100.

I have EFI strings for Video, and Ether.

Should I try dsdt? Your guide made dsdt make a lot more sense heh, and right now I'd like to tweak my install method. What can I improve on? Is there a way to enable the ALC888 through EFI string? I might have missed this, but do you have full 5.1/7.1 audio out?

Thanks again.

@csd79

The only thing I can think of then is to power off your machine, unplug it from the main and leave it until the CMOS clears, maybe even try taking out the battery too.

YES! ;) I unplugged everything for a few minutes, then did a BIOS defaults reset, and now it works. I can't believe it!

Thank you Blackosx, you saved my life! :)

YES! :) I unplugged everything for a few minutes, then did a BIOS defaults reset, and now it works. I can't believe it!

Thank you Blackosx, you saved my life! :)

No problem, I am happy you have it working :)

Silly me, Chameleon 2 is working properly. It is showing that storage HFS partition, because I restored an image to it! =P

I used your guide as a loose basis of install, but there is one thing I can't get to work right now. Sleep on Idle, i.e. auto sleep.

I can only sleep manually, and wake with Power Button (I really would also like to wake with usb kb/mouse). Because sleep works, I don't think a lot of fixes found here apply. Such as the "check 'restart after power failure' fix"

Which is an odd thing because I simply don't have that option listed in my Energy Saver Prefs =/. No leads as to why it's not there.

This guide was very helpful in setting up /E/E including the boot.plist and mkext. I'm also using your disabler.kext to fix the same mouse lag with my 9800gt =D. However, I am still installing 4 kexts into /S/L/E, AFAIK, it is recommended to install these into /S/L/E, and I'm not sure if they'll work if I put them in /E/E

The kexts are: AppleSMBIOSEFI, IOAHCIFamily (Because of ICH9 on P35), OpenHaltRestart, and RealtekR100.

I have EFI strings for Video, and Ether.

Should I try dsdt? Your guide made dsdt make a lot more sense heh, and right now I'd like to tweak my install method. What can I improve on? Is there a way to enable the ALC888 through EFI string? I might have missed this, but do you have full 5.1/7.1 audio out?

Thanks again.

With 10.5.7 I could wake my machine with keyboard or mouse but since 10.5.8 and I can only wake my machine with the power button. This is true for SnowLeopard as well.

Personally I try to only install everything I need in to /E/E and never touch the S/L/E folder. You can do what you want but I am just saying how I choose to build my systems.

Sure you should try and build a DSDT, but even with my DSDT, I still need OpenHaltRestart and RealtekR1000 (both though in /E/E).

Audio can not be enabled through the use of a device (EFI) string. You will need at the very least a patched kext. or VoodooHDA. But the best way I have found, and my preferred option, is to use HDEF in DSDT and add a LegacyHDA.kext in to /E/E., so this way, again, I can leave /S/L/E untouched.

I don't have any digital audio equipment near my hack to test it so I don't know. I do have a digital amp but I am not going to buy a 30 metre digital audio cable to find out :P

I mean regular old 5.1, through the 3 analog outputs. Not a big deal however. I will try out DSDT today, and try to get audio/ethernet enabled that way. Which, btw, is it necessary to try to enable all of these for SL? Or better to do so?

I see you chose 3outs2ins, would it not be better to chose 4 outs? because that's what's on the motherboard?

Ok, so about simplifying my install, I see I can move RealrekR100 (with the 2 dependent kexts), and OHR, and SleepEnabler to /E/E. But what about AppleSMBIOSEFI? I would assume so. What about IOAHCIFamily.kext. It is a modified system kext, should I not be using it to overwrite the one in /S/L/E? Is there a way around this?

Would you be able to elaborate on the kexts you used? What does IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext do? As well as UUID.kext.

Lastly, I am really surprised that I also have the dvd sleep on idle bug. I didn't think this was possible, seeing as I use a USB/external drive to install (Which does happen to be a Samsung drive!) and I leave it off after the OS is installed. But nevertheless, I tried inserting a DVD (an actual dvd, DVD app pops up telling me it can't find suitable dvd drive), and YES, it did sleep on idle! I'm not sure what I can do to correct this. I mean, the drive is not even connected and it still won't sleep on idle!

I mean regular old 5.1, through the 3 analog outputs. Not a big deal however. I will try out DSDT today, and try to get audio/ethernet enabled that way. Which, btw, is it necessary to try to enable all of these for SL? Or better to do so?

I see you chose 3outs2ins, would it not be better to chose 4 outs? because that's what's on the motherboard?

Okay, I understand what you mean now. But no, I haven't tested that either as stereo is all I use on my hack. But now you mentions the 4outs? maybe you're right. I have never really bothered exploring different audio configuration on my hack... I do all that on my media centre PC :D

Ok, so about simplifying my install, I see I can move RealrekR100 (with the 2 dependent kexts), and OHR, and SleepEnabler to /E/E. But what about AppleSMBIOSEFI? I would assume so. What about IOAHCIFamily.kext. It is a modified system kext, should I not be using it to overwrite the one in /S/L/E? Is there a way around this?

Would you be able to elaborate on the kexts you used? What does IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext do? As well as UUID.kext.

AppleSMBIOSEFI I have never used. I guess that patches your SMBIOS automatically? if so, then I build my SMBIOS by hand.

IOAHCIFamily.kext, as you know, I don't need that as the GA-EP45-DS3L uses ICH10 and OS X (now) supports it natively. So again, I have never used it so I can't really tell you, sorry.

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is used to tell OS X that all our HD's on our hacks are not external. So it stops OS X drawing orange icons for them.

UUID.kext gets rid of the Error:35 from system.log

Lastly, I am really surprised that I also have the dvd sleep on idle bug. I didn't think this was possible, seeing as I use a USB/external drive to install (Which does happen to be a Samsung drive!) and I leave it off after the OS is installed. But nevertheless, I tried inserting a DVD (an actual dvd, DVD app pops up telling me it can't find suitable dvd drive), and YES, it did sleep on idle! I'm not sure what I can do to correct this. I mean, the drive is not even connected and it still won't sleep on idle!

What's the dvd sleep on idle bug? I don't play DVD's on my hack so I have never come across this.

I will test out the 4out2in tonight.

AppleSMBIOSEFI is an injector, just like SMBIOSEnabler, etc. It injects the info into the system. It is inherently better than patching the system. I will look into whether or not I can put it in /E/E and prob just will try it later.

The patched IOAHCIFamily.kext is to fix the orange icons =P so I will try IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /E/E instead.

I will also give UUID a shot.

The DVD drive preventing sleep: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1238915

and I just edited the post, with the fix. Unchecking "Put the Hard Disk to sleep when possible" fixes it. Thanks again, and will report back.

blackosx, will you now do a guide for Snow Leopard as well? I originally used lensboard's guide, and I was gonna do a reinstall with your yours, but now I just think I'll wait for a Snow Leopard guide. If you did one that would be awesome!

I will test out the 4out2in tonight.

AppleSMBIOSEFI is an injector, just like SMBIOSEnabler, etc. It injects the info into the system. It is inherently better than patching the system. I will look into whether or not I can put it in /E/E and prob just will try it later.

The patched IOAHCIFamily.kext is to fix the orange icons =P so I will try IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /E/E instead.

I will also give UUID a shot.

The DVD drive preventing sleep: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1238915

and I just edited the post, with the fix. Unchecking "Put the Hard Disk to sleep when possible" fixes it. Thanks again, and will report back.

Thanks for letting me know about the sound. I will be interested to hear how you get on, as lie I said before, I have only ever bothered with Stereo.

If you can get AppleSMBIOSEFI loaded from /E/E then great. I have never tried it, but if you get it going, then I might have a play with it one day to see if it is better than manual patching ;)

Well done for fixing your DVD drive sleep issue thing.

blackosx, will you now do a guide for Snow Leopard as well? I originally used lensboard's guide, and I was gonna do a reinstall with your yours, but now I just think I'll wait for a Snow Leopard guide. If you did one that would be awesome!

Yes, as EnzoFX pointed out (thanks EnzoFX), I have a 10.6 install guide.

If you are thinking about following it, I recommend using the USB install method as when you get it installed, it will be error free and you won't have to try and fix permissions etc.

Hi Everyone and lots of thanks to blackosx, I've tried many guides and yours was the best and works with the above setup: running 10.5.7

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R( Greenbech shows as MacPro3,1)

Processor: 2.67 GHz Quad Core Q9400 ( could not be able to fix the Unknown cpu. Tried changing in SMBIOS and also in System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.iproj fiel AppleSysteminfo.string with no luck.

4GB Kingstons 8500C5(1066MHz but it's still showing 800MHz). Tried to change the SMBIOS file with no luck.

I still have no sound DS3 motherboard is using ALC888 codec while UD3R is using ALC889A and I am still looking for best solution.

I am using External LAN using D-link PCI card DFE-528TX and it works very well.

Right now I am going to start from scratch again installing 10.5.7 then move to 10.5.8 and finally to 10.6.

Thanks again.

msbhttp://www.insanelymac.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Hi msb

In about this Mac - My processor is shown as 2.67 GHz Unknown. (So it doesn't work on mine either)

You should be able to change your Memory speed in SMBIOS. It works for me.

Sound for my mobo the GA-Ep45-DS3L using the ALC888 codec works like I have described in my guide, for your DS3 or UD3R I suggest reading a specific thread for those to get audio working.

Good luck with your future upgrading :)

I've noticed that sometimes, my keyboard isn't detected, I have to disconnect/re-connect it =/

This ever happen to you? I wonder if it has to do with a BIOS settings, I do have usb-keyboard support, but not mouse.

In regards to dual-booting, did Win7 ever give you restart/shutdown issues? and I think you mentioned that sleep doesn't work when booted through chameleon? I've noticed that too.

I've noticed that sometimes, my keyboard isn't detected, I have to disconnect/re-connect it =/

This ever happen to you? I wonder if it has to do with a BIOS settings, I do have usb-keyboard support, but not mouse.

In regards to dual-booting, did Win7 ever give you restart/shutdown issues? and I think you mentioned that sleep doesn't work when booted through chameleon? I've noticed that too.

Only once with 10.5.7. A while back in the thread there was talk about the odd USB device not being recognised. Have you upgraded to 10.5.8?

Windows 7 worked perfectly other than the mentioned sleep issue when booting from Chameleon.

I am on 10.5.8

I came across this possible fix when you linked it from your 10.6 guide:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-insta...ck-drive-t3705/

I think it applies seeing as in my sys profiler, I also see "Controller Location: Expansion Slot" He detailed a boot.plist command that would work.

But in the most recent update, he links to this dsdt usb fix:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f84/uhci-ehci-b...dsdt-fix-t3849/

He also says it fixes waking from sleep with USB

Re: Win7, I think Win has trouble shutting one of my usb devices off or something, gah, something specific to my hardware layout that's persisted across different mobo/cpu =/

Blackosx,

The work that you have put into theses guides is greatly appreciated. They are clear and easy to follow.

I wish that I could follow them verbatim but I have a slightly different board, GA EP45 DS4P.

I did my retail installs with different guides and I currently have two installs on different hard drives. I have PC EFI V9 installed on both drives and i use the BIOS to choose the drive I want to boot from (one is a service install). In the screen shots in your guide I see that you have a number of OSX installs. Am I correct that they all boot with the help of the one install of chameleon on the first 1 gig partition? If I am reading things correctly that is very cool.

I am adding a new HD to my system so i could add chameleon following your guide. Would I then need to strip PCEFI V9 off of my other OSX installs?

Final question is about my PCI NIC card. In the DSDT tests that I did prior to reading your other fantastic guide, I kept loosing internet (almost as if the DSDT patch was messing with my PCI slot) I see that you have the onboard LAN working beautifully. I would like to give it a try but I am not sure of the procedure. Should I start by turning on one of my onboard lans in the bios? When should I plug the ethernet cable in? When should I take out my PCI NIC? Finally do I delete the NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot?

I had more questions than I thought. Thanks again for your guides and your time.

Blackosx.. my apologies if you already stated this (I haven't reread the entire thread yet) - did you post a new boot cd ISO? Had to re-download to burn a new one (daughter got a hold of it - scratch city) and the disc layout is a bit different.

As always works perfectly, but noticed things were even more organized than the Step 1, Step 2, etc from the previous disc.

Thanks!

Red Oak:

Chameleon 2 scans all drives for bootable partitions. RC2 Lists only bootable partitions at the selection screen, where as RC1 shows all partitions I believe. So it's just a matter of installing Chameleon, yes.

As far as getting onboard LAN working, I would say try getting it to work first with any working install, through the R1000 Kext, that would probably work. Then you can patch through DSDT.

blackosx: thanks for the link, though I used the fix found in the links I provided, they worked out great. All USB ports now detect as on-board, fixing a few issues such as:

-No system sounds through USB sound card, after waking

-Wake from USB KB/Mouse

Now I'm onto fixing sleep on idle heh

Blackosx.. my apologies if you already stated this (I haven't reread the entire thread yet) - did you post a new boot cd ISO? Had to re-download to burn a new one (daughter got a hold of it - scratch city) and the disc layout is a bit different.

As always works perfectly, but noticed things were even more organized than the Step 1, Step 2, etc from the previous disc.

Thanks bonfilio - I am happy it worked for you. I have changed the Boot CD four times, but the last update was a while back now. ;)

@Red Oak

Did EnzoFX's answer help you?

And for your other question.. yes, you only need one Chameleon install. But note: all your OS X systems will be loaded using the same /Extra folder. So you can't have a different set of kexts for each system.

@EnzoFX - Thanks for helping Red Oak - and well done for getting your USB sorted and now sleep etc.. :D

EnzoFX certainly cleared up most of my questions and you have resolved the rest. I do have a follow up about how you go about testing new kexts and new dsdt fixes? I had been doing this on one of my "test" installs (I like to be very cautious when it comes to updates ect.)

The only thing I can figure is that I would boot the system not to a test install of OSX but rather a test install of Chameleon. Perhaps on a USB stick with a different set of kexts/dsdt and use it to load either of my untouched OSX installs.

Am I on the right track?

thanks