[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

Guys, i´m found an possible solution for Sleep on 10.5.8 without removing IntelCPUPM Disablers (Disabler.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext) and without use of DSDT.

This means that Sleep will work even with the IntelCPUPM disabled.

Try it!

Download Mac OS X Leopard (32 bits)

http://hite.in/OSQ

Download Mac OS X Snow Leopard (64 bits)

http://hite.in/JIA

Regards.

Thiago

Hi thiagomorales, good to hear from you ;)

I too have been watching this develop and to be honest didn't think it was needed as we had a fix. But I think you are right and maybe it is useful for anyone who is not happy with the CPU temperature increase when removing Disabler.kext from /E/E...

But it does look like (at the moment) this is the only way to achieve sleep in Snow Leopard.

So thanks for bringing it to the table :)

EDIT: If anybody wants to read about the development of SleepEnabler then follow this thread.

EDIT: I have now updated the front page of reflect this option.

This is good thinking, as like you, I also use the 64-bit versions of Vista and Win 7 and I don't have any problems with AHCI. Could this be the reason?

I don't think so.

I have a 32 bit Vista on a separate HD and no problem with booting.

I didn't pay any special attention to selecting sata port for the drives.

Vista HD sata 0

Dvd drive sata 1

MacHD sata 2

If Vista HD is selected as first priority, it will start straight up into Visa.

If Mac HD is selected, it will boot straight up into the retail

If I press any key on the Chameleon boot screen, I will get all the available start up choices, including Vista and it will boot up as per choice.

Thanks geithals for confirming your setup and that you don't have any problems either.

Sorry, zangieff, it looks like it could be more to do with your setup... But you're not alone as there have been others reporting AHCI issues with dual booting in my Dual Boot thread.

thanks for that. Another query does this board allow the computer to wakeup after sleep? I tried the sleep function with sleepenabler it sleeps fine but hwo do u wake it back up?

Guys, i´m found an possible solution for Sleep on 10.5.8 without removing IntelCPUPM Disablers (Disabler.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext) and without use of DSDT.

This means that Sleep will work even with the IntelCPUPM disabled.

Try it!

Download Mac OS X Leopard (32 bits)

http://hite.in/OSQ

Download Mac OS X Snow Leopard (64 bits)

http://hite.in/JIA

Regards.

Thiago

Thiago,

Thanks this also worked well on a GA-EP45-UD3P! I have been waiting for this fix as I got used to the mouse/keyboard waking from sleep, which I lost with the DSDT.

Chris

Hey bero Nice to see another hack working, blackosx guides are all excellent.

I have a question about your 3 sata drives.

How did you get windows 7 to boot under ahci settings in bios? My install has 2 seperate drives 1 for osx 1 for windows. With the ahci diaabled i can boot into windows, but cant boot into osx.

With ahci enabled i can boot into osx but not windows.

Z

Hmm, all I can say is that my BIOS is set up to suit OS X, and I don't change anything to boot into windows 7 from the chameleon boot screen. Maybe the order of installation has some bearing on the issue? For me:

1. Set 2nd drive to boot first.

2. Using Ubuntu tools: delete all existing partitions on 2nd drive, create and format an NTFS partition in the first 1/3 of the drive. Left the rest 'unallocated'. You need to do this with Ubuntu tools or Windows 7 does its own partitioning and then Ubuntu cannot see the Windows partition, probably because W7 does something new/quirky that gparted is not expecting. (It wouldn't be a Microsoft product if they didn't make sure that 3rd party tools are screwed with every upgrade. :) )

3. Installed W7 64 bit version. AHCI mode needs to be set before W7 is installed because I don't think you can change it once W7 is installed. In general, Windows installs are very sensitive to HW changes once they are installed. You can test this using an emulator like VirtualBox.

4. Installed Ubuntu into a second partition with about 1/3 of the drive. (Rest of the drive is a FAT32 data partition and a small swap partition). I installed GRUB into the MBR of the 2nd drive. Careful, the default is actually to install it into the 1st HD, even though the boot order is set differently in the BIOS. If you have a OS X install on the 1st HD, installing GRUB onto it would destroy the chameleon boot record, and then you would need to fix it by using fdisk to copy chameleon's boot0 file (like I had to do).

5. Installer creates a Windows stanza in GRUB menu.lst, but it needs to be edited to work. There are probably many ways of doing it, but I did it simply by using a UUID to refer to the W7 partition, like the Ubuntu stanzas do. This has the advantage of being independent of the HD boot order etc. You can use blkid -c /dev/null command from the Ubuntu Live CD to get the UUIDs of all partitions. At this point you can boot into Ubuntu or W7 using GRUB.

6. Set the 1st HD to boot first. Installed OS X as per blackosx guides. Without me doing anything special, chameleon sees the W7 install (but not Ubuntu) and allows me to boot into it. If I need Ubuntu, I need to change the boot order in BIOS. This may be fixable, but I don't use Ubuntu that much now that I got OS X working properly again.

Advance notice for anyone who is wanting to use 10.6 when it's released.

SnowLeopard has introduced an annoying bug which will reset your computers’ CMOS everytime you use it. Stellarolla found a fix for this by editing the RTC section of the patched DSDT.aml. So If you have a DSDT.aml already then you are going to need to add this fix which I have explained in my thread ‘Using DSDT with the GA-EP45-DS3L’ which you will find at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=177497

If you don’t already have a DSDT.aml for your system them I suggest you read the above mentioned guide and build yourself one and include the CMOS reset fix.

This will save you messing around when you come to install. :P

EDIT: I have attached a photo of the CMOS Reset error given by the BIOS.

post-331032-1250844275_thumb.jpg

chalk up another successful install on GA-P35-DS3L :(

retail dvd 10.5 (leopard launch day nerd here :( ) to 10.5.8 via combo.

time machine working, sleep working with sleepEnabler.kext. installed it with kext helper. wondering if there is a way to place this in the chameleon partition, i'm new so forgive me if that's a dumb question.

one very minor hitch, the video card was not initially recognized. i did the initial setup on an iMac. noticed that "./gfxutil -f display" on the running hack returned a different result than what EFI studio put into the video.plist file. so i redid the EFI studio steps from the guide, got a new string which i replaced in the boot.plist file on chameleon partition. reboot and *ding!* fully working video.

haven't tried audio yet, but i expect it to behave with the advertised bugs. going to read up on DSDT and then give that a go.

thank you for this well-structured guide and excellent support package. as a complete novice, these are very deep waters to swim in, but your guide made it easy.

That's great! Thanks for reporting back and well done neilK :P

I have tried SleepEnabler by adding it to my /E/E folder (and putting the original disabler back in which disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) and it works to give sleep in 10.5.8. But I can't wake my system from sleep with the keyboard and mouse, only the power button.

Interesting about the video card not working first time but well done for sorting it out. Have you compared the EFI string you added first time and the string you added second time to see if they were different? If so, maybe you missed something the first time?

If you follow the DSDT guide, your audio should work just fine.

And thanks :)

LATEST NEWS

Netkas has just released a FakeSMC emulator which will negate the need for dsmos.kext (or AppleDecrypt).

It works with 10.6 and this install. I won't be able to try this until this evening, so if anybody tries this before then please report back.

A bit of history: Apple include an extension in OS X called 'Don't Steal Mac OS X' and it decrypts any of the encrypted Apple files. When an encrypted program is read in to memory it reads a password from SMC (System Management Controller) and decrypts it on the fly. Netkas developed dsmos.kext (also called AppleDecypt) to get around this. But now this SMC emulator is here, we no longer need dsmos.kext

Also, i remember reading a post from fassl about adding SMC devices to the DSDT, and talking about if it could be done then maybe this could open doors to better power management etc... I found the post here

That's great! Thanks for reporting back and well done neilK :P

I have tried SleepEnabler by adding it to my /E/E folder (and putting the original disabler back in which disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) and it works to give sleep in 10.5.8. But I can't wake my system from sleep with the keyboard and mouse, only the power button.

mine is in s/l/e and i have the same behaviour, only the power button wakes from deep sleep. not perfect but a lot better than no sleep.

Interesting about the video card not working first time but well done for sorting it out. Have you compared the EFI string you added first time and the string you added second time to see if they were different? If so, maybe you missed something the first time?

the strings are different. the only difference was the comp i built them on. used EFI studio in both cases - made a video.plist and ethernet.plist, then a combined.plist. comparing both sets of files prior to converting the XML to EFI string, the only difference was the aforementioned PCI info. i had the idea after visiting the aquamacs link in your guide... after the gfxutil step, the rest seemed pretty much the same to me so i figured maybe the PCI info not matching was significant. guess in my case it was :)

DSDT will require a bit of reading before i dive in. i spent a couple weeks just studying different guides and ideas for the install to make sure it went smoothly, and it pays to be patient :D

LATEST NEWS

Netkas has just released a FakeSMC emulator which will negate the need for dsmos.kext (or AppleDecrypt).

Just to confirm the fake SMC kext for Leopard works for this install. (and Snow Leopard in both 32-bit & 64-bit)

So if anybody wants to use it, just remove AppleDecrypt and replace it with this.

Note: Don't ask me any questions about it yet as I don't know any more myself. So Google is your friend here :P

Just wanted to report my successful install using this guide and thank blackosx for his excellent work and others for their contributions. :)

The guide is also excellent for a newcomer.

Blackosx has the knack of explaining the process in the guide so that a moron with ambition can make sense of it.

The only thing I can't manage in the guide is the terminal command to install from the desktop.

In the guide it says, type

cd "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages"

then type

open OSInstall.mpkg

I can only manage to get it to open if I copy and paste

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

then type

open OSInstall.mpkg

Thanks for your kind word geithals. :)

Strange how the Terminal command...

doesn't work for you? But it doesn't matter as your variation works just fine ;)

Thanks for your kind word geithals. :wallbash:

Strange how the Terminal command...

doesn't work for you? But it doesn't matter as your variation works just fine :)

Terminal command doesn't work for me either. Which is why I did it the way I did & noted on your other guide page. I'll try the cut and paste next time

Thanks for the guide. I've tested this method a few times and can confirm that this works for both the 10.5.7 and the 10.5.8 Combo Updates.

I was not able to see the option "Start up automatically after a power failure" in System Preferences Energy Saver. Was it suppose to already be there after the install?

Thanks for the guide. I've tested this method a few times and can confirm that this works for both the 10.5.7 and the 10.5.8 Combo Updates.

I was not able to see the option "Start up automatically after a power failure" in System Preferences Energy Saver. Was it suppose to already be there after the install?

Great. Yeah, this install is solid and works a treat. Thanks for confirming :wacko:

The missing Energy Saver prefs is to do with either a different version of a kext or something in the SMBIOS.plist, I can't remember off hand, but I read before about it somewhere and it is something really simple once you discover it.

Hi all!!

blackosx thanks for your impressive guide!

I have ran my system successfully since you released this great guide.

I was using my built in ethernet and was very fast.

Now my problem is that i moved my computer to a different room and needed an internet wireless device in my hackintosh. I had a "PCI wireless N" Ralink card that a friend gave to me a while ago. I tried to use this Ralink card but wouldn't show up on OSX, so i bough an airport compatible Broadcom wireless card, but it doesn't show up either.

I have tried several PCI devices and i'm sure my PCI slots are not working. PCI-E is working, as i have just upgraded to crossfire graphics with a second graphics card to run 3 screens.

After doing some research i am convinced it has something to do with the extensions or kernels. There is some people who had the same problem, but no clear solution lies around.

Please if anyone had the same problem..... Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks for the great work guys!!

Thank you Blackosx for the guide., I used it with success on my new EP45-UD3LR.

...but

After using 10.5.7 and Windows XP for a few days (everything's working perfectly with both OSs), I decided to try and move on to DSDT to be able to install 10.6. Sometime during the preparations, network just stopped working in Mac OS X. (Onboard LAN.) Under Windows it worked fine. After I failed to make 10.6 work at the first try I restored the original kexts and everything in /E to the point where it was working OK, but network was still down. Since then I reinstalled OS X several times, I checked BIOS settings & used "Restore defaults", installed Psystar RTL kext, nothing helped. By the way, first time my network was working even when starting OS X with a boot132 cd, OOB. Now, it doesn't.

The simptoms are always the same. Network Utility shows network interface model as RTL8169. Docs of my mobo says it's 8111C. System profiler shows network device en0. In network preferences, I can do my usual settings (manual IP & router), on the left side ethernet shows as "Connected". But there is no traffic, I can't even ping my router ("Host down"). On the same machine with Windows, it still works OK.

My config: GA-EP45-UD3LR, C2Q Q9550, 4GB Geil DDR2 800MHz, Gainward GeForce 9800GT 512MB (in the EFI string I put 8800GT), Samsung 320Gb SATA2, Chieftech 500W PSU.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi csd79

I was going to suggest you reset your CMOS but as your Windows network works then it has to be down to your mac install. But if you have followed this install then this should be easy to fix.

Have you got the boot CD and have you tried that it works?

If so the just wipe the Chameleon partition in Disk utility and re-install it. You should be used to knowing what goes in there by now. This will put your system back to how it was before you added your DSDT.aml, and as you will have left the retail install untouched you can be sure that it will still work :rolleyes:

I have Win7 installed on a separate drive, and have now done a fresh install of Leopard onto the 1st Sata drive with Chameleon 2 RC2.

Cham2 can see Win7 fine (Actually it also sees a 200mb partition Win created, any way to remove this from Cham?) as well as a backup HFS partition for OS X. Any way to un-list these from Chameleon?

More importantly, when I select Win7 from Chameleon, I get "BOOTMGR is missing" prompting me to restart. The 2 drives are independent, and if I use the bios boot select, Win7 loads fine, so I'm guessing a fix for this should be easier than when you install both OS' on the same drive....

I'd just like to use Chameleon to boot Win 7. Your guide states that you chose a second option to start windows normally, can you elaborate on that? or does it not apply here.

once again, great guide (s)!