[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

yes i have macbook but its running tiger

That's great... The reason I was asking is because the link I sent you previously for that boot132 USB is a .dmg and I wasn't sure it you could use it or not. But as you have a Mac when you should be fine.

I will be interested to know how you get on with it. It should allow you to boot your partition.

That's great... The reason I was asking is because the link I sent you previously for that boot132 USB is a .dmg and I wasn't sure it you could use it or not. But as you have a Mac when you should be fine.

I will be interested to know how you get on with it. It should allow you to boot your partition.

okay, i dont really understand how to use it. do i have to reinstall my os? Can i just put the dmg file on my usb?

okay, i dont really understand how to use it. do i have to reinstall my os? Can i just put the dmg file on my usb?

zangieff

No you don't have to reinstall your os.

You have to put that disk image on to a USB stick. I guess try restoring the disk image to your FAT32 formatted USB stick with disk utility.. I haven't tried it. This is only something for you to try to see if you can boot your partition.

But remember Google is your friend and for a hobby like OSX86 it comes in very handy when searching for answers. And there are plenty of other boot132 images you can try. Maybe try some other boot132 CD images... Have a read.. Don't worry if it doesn't work first time, I must have installed, wiped, re-installed my system 10 times this year.. The most important thing is each time you try something you are learning.

There are other options available to you.. You already have a Mac running tiger and an internet connection.. You could try building one for yourself? See the 'Install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 on a USB stick' section.

Google for 'Install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 on a USB stick. [ Guide by JASON ]'

Have a go and see if you can work it out for yourself? But I will try and help you when I get a chance.

Did you try my GA-EP45-DS3L boot CD and the generic boot132 CD again?

zangieff

No you don't have to reinstall your os.

You have to put that disk image on to a USB stick. I guess try restoring the disk image to your FAT32 formatted USB stick with disk utility.. I haven't tried it. This is only something for you to try to see if you can boot your partition.

But remember Google is your friend and for a hobby like OSX86 it comes in very handy when searching for answers. And there are plenty of other boot132 images you can try. Maybe try some other boot132 CD images... Have a read.. Don't worry if it doesn't work first time, I must have installed, wiped, re-installed my system 10 times this year.. The most important thing is each time you try something you are learning.

There are other options available to you.. You already have a Mac running tiger and an internet connection.. You could try building one for yourself? See the 'Install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 on a USB stick' section.

Google for 'Install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 on a USB stick. [ Guide by JASON ]'

Have a go and see if you can work it out for yourself? But I will try and help you when I get a chance.

Did you try my GA-EP45-DS3L boot CD and the generic boot132 CD again?

i have tried allot of things. bin trying since 7am this morning. this hack is getting hard. i dont know why i'm having so many problems

i have tried allot of things. bin trying since 7am this morning. this hack is getting hard. i dont know why i'm having so many problems

Don't give up though. You've hit a stubmling block and I understand it's a pain in the proverbials, but I'm sure we'll get you there somehow. :P

Wouldn't it be simpler for Zangieff to install some OSx version onto his backup partition and work from there to install Retail and Chameleon onto their designated partitions.

Yes it would.

But first, zangieff, can you try following this to make yourself a boot USB stick?

Using your Mac with Tiger on it.

Insert your USB Stick

Open Disk Utility and partition the USB stick with 1 x partition with GUID Partition Table, as Mac OS Extended.

From the attached files, double click the Chameleon r431 installer and do a standard install to the USB stick, select the default options.

When it's finished installing, add the kexts from the attached files in to the /Extra/Extensions folder.

Delete the Extensions.mkext from /Extra

Then run mkext tool, add the extensions from /Extra/Extensions in to the mkext tool window, point it to the /Extra folder and click build to make an updated Extensions.mkext.

Then reboot, using F12 to select boot options. Select HD's and choose the USB HD from the menu.

Fingers crossed that helps.

If not, then we'll look at the option Geithals suggested.

Make_A_Boot_USB.zip

Wouldn't it be simpler for Zangieff to install some OSx version onto his backup partition and work from there to install Retail and Chameleon onto their designated partitions.

Hi Geithals

Thank you for helping out. I have been so caught up today trying to work out why my bl**dy boot CD keeps failing on some systems, I completely lost sight of reason. You are absolutely right with your recommendation of installing a modified OSX as a base install in cases of the failed CD boot. This is the method lensboard suggested for his install and the method I first followed, as did many others when starting out with hackintosh.

I am thinking I need to append this to my instructions on the front page to assist future installs.

As for my boot CD.... I am still puzzled as to why it works on my system every time and fails on others? I will have to get in touch with the Chameleon developers..

But Thanks again :angel:

Yes it would.

But first, zangieff, can you try following this to make yourself a boot USB stick?

Using your Mac with Tiger on it.

Insert your USB Stick

Open Disk Utility and partition the USB stick with 1 x partition with GUID Partition Table, as Mac OS Extended.

From the attached files, double click the Chameleon r431 installer and do a standard install to the USB stick, select the default options.

When it's finished installing, add the kexts from the attached files in to the /Extra/Extensions folder.

Delete the Extensions.mkext from /Extra

Then run mkext tool, add the extensions from /Extra/Extensions in to the mkext tool window, point it to the /Extra folder and click build to make an updated Extensions.mkext.

Then reboot, using F12 to select boot options. Select HD's and choose the USB HD from the menu.

Fingers crossed that helps.

If not, then we'll look at the option Geithals suggested.

its finally working. I dont know what i did to be honest. i downloaded some other boot 123 disk (weak sauce)

it booted even though ahci was disabled. I updated to 10.8 with software update. But now i'm lost i have no sound and the graphics card i bought is longer listed on the wiki

asus en9400 gt 512, i have however read that its supported from a few threads.

i tried installing with with kext helper & osx tools as suggested in a post.

i copied your kext to the extra folder( thats as far as i got) the rest is kinda confusing.

The other issue i have is that i have 2 hardrives 1 with windows and the other with osx. Windows only work with the ahci disabled & osx only works when its enabled.

The only way i can boot at the moment is to change the settings then press f12 to select the hardrive to boot.

I'm Happy its working at least so thanks for all your help so far. Verry much appreciated

its finally working. I dont know what i did to be honest. i downloaded some other boot 123 disk (weak sauce)

it booted even though ahci was disabled.

Well done to get it working :P

After all your attempts today, surely you must know exactly what you did to get it up and running?

But thanks for letting me know about the weak sauce boot 132 CD.

it booted even though ahci was disabled.

AHCI is recommended for OSX because the OS will take advantage of the new advanced features. See here for more details.

I updated to 10.8 with software update. But now i'm lost i have no sound.

After you booted with the weak sauce boot CD, did you at any point put my Boot CD back in and finish the instructions to add the kexts etc.?

This guide was written for 10.5.7 as the 10.5.8 update has only just come out. Because you will need to use a DSDT for sleep with 10.5.8 (as mentioned in the boot CD instructions) it makes sense to add audio with DSDT rather than using the kexts. and you will gain a better audio experience. See my DSDT guide.

the graphics card i bought is longer listed on the wiki

The Hardware Compatability List for 10.5.7 lists a 9400GT 512 MB and reports it works, so I am sure you will get it working.

Kext helper will add kexts to the /System/Library/Extensions folder and with this install you ideally only want to be adding kexts to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions therefore, leaving the retail install untouched. It's your system to play with but read and try to understand what you have and what others tell you so at least you can undo anything if it goes wrong.

i copied your kext to the extra folder( thats as far as i got) the rest is kinda confusing.

You need to add the kexts to the /Extra folder and rebuild Extensions.mkext to get the system functioning to the best that we've been able to work out.

What's confusing? I can't make the install guide PDF any simpler.. it's step by step... It's now up to you to read, research and learn just like we all did.

The other issue i have is that i have 2 hardrives 1 with windows and the other with osx. Windows only work with the ahci disabled & osx only works when its enabled.

The only way i can boot at the moment is to change the settings then press f12 to select the hardrive to boot.

Read the wiki link I posted above..

I have also written a guide for dual booting with Windows 7 if that's any use to you.

I'm Happy its working at least so thanks for all your help so far. Verry much appreciated

I am glad you're happy

:)

QUOTE (zangieff @ Aug 13 2009, 09:51 PM)

My memory may be bad, but don't we have the option with this board to save multiple BIOS settings and select which one we wish to use when booting? An extra step or two. Not sure why this would be necessary; perhaps due to different Windows versions? I'm running Windows Vista 64 just fine with the same BIOS settings that Blackosx recommends for this install.

it booted even though ahci was disabled. I updated to 10.8 with software update. But now i'm lost i have no sound and the graphics card i bought is longer listed on the wiki

Not a Zotac card? shouldn't matter.

You do not need to use a kext helper for the video card. You only need to make the boot.plist according to the guide.

As I wrote previous, you only need to follow Blackosx's guide but generate a custom Video hex string in OSx tools, plus I had to start up in-s then-f.

You can try this boot.plist I made according to the guide for our 9400gt.

it includes the ethernet string.

9400gt/ethernet plist

Not a Zotac card? shouldn't matter.

You do not need to use a kext helper for the video card. You only need to make the boot.plist according to the guide.

As I wrote previous, you only need to follow Blackosx's guide but generate a custom Video hex string in OSx tools, plus I had to start up in-s then-f.

You can try this boot.plist I made according to the guide for our 9400gt.

it includes the ethernet string.

9400gt/ethernet plist

i decided not to buy the zotac in the end, As i saw the asus listed in the wiki. What do i do with the boot.plist?

I have have restarted my install so i will try it out when i get it working again.

QUOTE (zangieff @ Aug 13 2009, 09:51 PM)

My memory may be bad, but don't we have the option with this board to save multiple BIOS settings and select which one we wish to use when booting? An extra step or two. Not sure why this would be necessary; perhaps due to different Windows versions? I'm running Windows Vista 64 just fine with the same BIOS settings that Blackosx recommends for this install.

I'm booting with windows 7. Does anyone have more details on this method?

Your boot cd only worked for me for the initial install of osx. It never worked again after that.

Anyhow i have re-done the install again as i made a mistake by updating to 10.58

i can now install the os fine with your initial boot cd , then the boot 132 cd.

However when i boot into Osx and try to do the combo update 10.57 (downloaded to computer from apple .com)

The install just hangs after a couple of minutes and i get the message to power off computer.

After that i try to boot back into osx with boot 132( the original boot cd wont boot it)

I get grey screen but it wont load into osx anymore.

I tried booting using -s and took a screenshot of the error. Is there anyway to get around this without re-installing the us. i have tried it 3 times already today i get the same result every time.

Thanks

post-448530-1250260911_thumb.jpg

post-448530-1250261135_thumb.jpg

i decided not to buy the zotac in the end, As i saw the asus listed in the wiki. What do i do with the boot.plist?

Hi Zangieff,

You can safely say, you're nearly there.

The "com.apple.Boot.plist" I sent to you, replaces the one in Chameleon/ extras.

Probably first you have to trash the installed "com.apple.Boot.plist" there and simply place the "com.apple.Boot.plist" I sent, into the extras folder.

Make sure it has the name "com.apple.Boot.plist"

Happy restarting.

Anyhow i have re-done the install again as i made a mistake by updating to 10.58

I think 10.5.7 is better for you to get your teeth in to for now.

However when i boot into Osx and try to do the combo update 10.57 (downloaded to computer from apple .com)

The install just hangs after a couple of minutes and i get the message to power off computer....

I get grey screen but it wont load into osx anymore....

is there anyway to get around this without re-installing the us.

Because of the problems you're having, If I were you I would try the following....(which means starting again)

1 - Use my Boot CD to load retail OSX DVD, use disk utility to partition hard drive etc.. then install to Mac partition.

2 - Reboot with the boot 132 CD and boot in to the newly installed OS X.

3 - Eject the boot 132 CD and insert my Boot CD.

4 - Install Chameleon from my Boot CD on to the Chameleon partition including the default install kexts.

5 - Follow the PDF guide to install the com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.PLIST. to Chameleon's /Extra folder.

6 - Add only AppleDecrypt.kext, Disabler.kext from 'Steps to follow after OS X is installed' folder on my boot CD.

7 - Using mkext tool, rebuild Extensions.mkext.

8 - Reboot without the boot CD this time, in to Chameleon.

9 - Select your Macintosh partition and hit enter to boot.

10 - Once booted, then try the combo update to 10.5.7

11 - If this all works for you, then you can carry on with the install Guide PDF from step 5.

Good luck this time :rolleyes:

For some reason shutdown doesn't work for me. Any suggestions?

When I shut it down, the computer fails to power off :)

Can you give me some more details as to the hardware you're running? have completed the guide? are you using 10.5.7?

Maybe add it to a signature?

I think 10.5.7 is better for you to get your teeth in to for now.

Because of the problems you're having, If I were you I would try the following....(which means starting again)

1 - Use my Boot CD to load retail OSX DVD, use disk utility to partition hard drive etc.. then install to Mac partition.

2 - Reboot with the boot 132 CD and boot in to the newly installed OS X.

3 - Eject the boot 132 CD and insert my Boot CD.

4 - Install Chameleon from my Boot CD on to the Chameleon partition including the default install kexts.

5 - Follow the PDF guide to install the com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.PLIST. to Chameleon's /Extra folder.

6 - Add only AppleDecrypt.kext, Disabler.kext from 'Steps to follow after OS X is installed' folder on my boot CD.

7 - Using mkext tool, rebuild Extensions.mkext.

8 - Reboot without the boot CD this time, in to Chameleon.

9 - Select your Macintosh partition and hit enter to boot.

10 - Once booted, then try the combo update to 10.5.7

11 - If this all works for you, then you can carry on with the install Guide PDF from step 5.

Good luck this time :)

NO joy with the above method. I tried it a few times. It only seems to work for 10.5.8 software update automatic update.

So i'm back running the latest version

I need to fix the sound and ethernet & graphics. After i add the kexts from your cd i get mouse lag.

Shouldn't ethernet work out of the box?

So do i just need to create a DSDT table for my sound , ethernet & Graphics.

I tried the boot.plist that geithals game me but that makes my display turn off "no signal"

Hi Zangieff,

You can safely say, you're nearly there.

The "com.apple.Boot.plist" I sent to you, replaces the one in Chameleon/ extras.

Probably first you have to trash the installed "com.apple.Boot.plist" there and simply place the "com.apple.Boot.plist" I sent, into the extras folder.

Make sure it has the name "com.apple.Boot.plist"

Happy restarting.

I tried the boot.plist but that makes my display turn off "no signal". I'm running the latest version

again as the 10.5.7 didnt't work for me.

i tried booting in -s and -f too like you mentioned

NO joy with the above method. I tried it a few times. It only seems to work for 10.5.8 software update automatic update.

So i'm back running the latest version

So that method didn't work?

But it did work for the 10.5.8 automatic update?

Even though you can download the 10.5.7 combo updater from apple?

Okay, well done though. :)

I need to fix the sound and ethernet & graphics. After i add the kexts from your cd i get mouse lag.

Shouldn't ethernet work out of the box?

The guide takes you through creating an EFI string, using EFI studio, for Ethernet and Video.

You get mouse lag after adding the kexts? and you didn't have any mouse lag before? that's a new one on me.. but it's to do with the disabler.kext and AppleUpstreamClient.kext.

So yes, if you follow the instructions in the PDF guide, your on board ethernet will work.

So do i just need to create a DSDT table for my sound , ethernet & Graphics.

As you have gone ahead and updated to 10.5.8 then you will need progress to building a DSDT.aml for your system.

But before you even attempt this, I recommend you complete the PDF guide first and build your EFI string for video and ethernet and add it to the com.apple.boot.plist etc. It works, and people here have verified that.

Therefore, I will not help you with DSDT until you have a fully working system from following the guide. Which means learning what kexts are needed and why and building your EFI strings and a com.apple.Boot.plist. This might not seem fair, but it will help you in understanding your hackintosh and allow you to maintain it better. :)

So that method didn't work?

But it did work for the 10.5.8 automatic update?

Even though you can download the 10.5.7 combo updater from apple?

Okay, well done though. :)

the combo update download from apple dont work for me, i guess if 10.57 was available for automatic system update then that would work.

As only the 10.58 is available through automatic update

The guide takes you through creating an EFI string, using EFI studio, for Ethernet and Video.

You get mouse lag after adding the kexts? and you didn't have any mouse lag before? that's a new one on me.. but it's to do with the disabler.kext and AppleUpstreamClient.kext.

So yes, if you follow the instructions in the PDF guide, your on board ethernet will work

when i installed 10.5 my card wasn,t recognized, when i updated to 10.58 mycard was recognized a a bit better with a better resolution. When i added the kext an boot back in i still have the same resolution but when i drag the windows around i get the lag.

My video card isn,t in the list, so i was trying the method by geithals for his zotac card, adding this just shuts down my monitor "nosignal" maybe its because i have an asus card

As you have gone ahead and updated to 10.5.8 then you will need progress to building a DSDT.aml for your system.

But before you even attempt this, I recommend you complete the PDF guide first and build your EFI string for video and ethernet and add it to the com.apple.boot.plist etc. It works, and people here have verified that.

if i can find mt video card then i can do this, is it possible to generate it just for the ethernet and add it as ethernet.plist?

Therefore, I will not help you with DSDT until you have a fully working system from following the guide. Which means learning what kexts are needed and why and building your EFI strings and a com.apple.Boot.plist. This might not seem fair, but it will help you in understanding your hackintosh and allow you to maintain it better. :)

yes thats fair :D

Do you think its cause of 10.58 why my graphics aint working? i created a custom graphics string using osx86tool.

i get the same result

Normail grey boot screen, then the black screen with no signal to monitor.

Nice guide! Up and running with 10.5.8.

Just one problem. My CPU, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, isn't recognized. It comes up in About This Mac... as 2.83GHz Unknown. I know how to fix that, the problem is in System Profiler there is no entry for Processor Name. Silverlight and other programs think my computer is PPC based as a result. How can I fix this?

atm.jpg

the combo update download from apple dont work for me, i guess if 10.57 was available for automatic system update then that would work.

As only the 10.58 is available through automatic update

Only the latest update will be available, that's why you see 10.5.8. But I don't see any reason why the 10.5.7 update wouldn't work on your system as it has worked on everybody else's.

when i installed 10.5 my card wasn,t recognized, when i updated to 10.58 mycard was recognized a a bit better with a better resolution. When i added the kext an boot back in i still have the same resolution but when i drag the windows around i get the lag.

When you first install 10.5 you will see your display using a generic video driver.

When you updated to 10.5.8 you will also see your display using a generic video driver.

When you added 'the kext' an rebooted you will still see your display using a generic video driver.

You see the window's being redrawn as you move them because the generic video driver doesn't support QE (Quartz Extreme) or CI (Core Image) which accelerate your video by using the graphics card.

Don't confuse this window redraw because of incorrect video drivers with the QuickTime mouse lag issue. That is completely different.

My video card isn,t in the list, so i was trying the method by geithals for his zotac card, adding this just shuts down my monitor "nosignal" maybe its because i have an asus card

You are right, the video card doesn't appear in EFIStudio. Geithals has tried to help you by supplying an EFI string for you. If that hasn't worked for you then you will have to build your own.

You can look here for help with the 9400. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141072

if i can find mt video card then i can do this, is it possible to generate it just for the ethernet and add it as ethernet.plist?

If you wanted to, then yes you can create only and EFI string for your ethernet. Just select the ethernet string from EFIStudio and paste that in to device-properties in the com.apple.Boot.plist (see the PDF guide for more info).

But this will still leave you without proper video support.

Hope this helps :|

Nice guide! Up and running with 10.5.8.

Just one problem. My CPU, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, isn't recognized. It comes up in About This Mac... as 2.83GHz Unknown. I know how to fix that, the problem is in System Profiler there is no entry for Processor Name. Silverlight and other programs think my computer is PPC based as a result. How can I fix this?

Well done jtillwick :o

System profiler doesn't show the processor for me either. If you have used a modified OSX X install in the past then maybe you have been used to this. But don't worry, OS X still sees your processor fine even though it doesn't show it. You can run an app called CPU-X which show's you details or there is a Terminal command which also shows in detail what the system sees but I can' remember what it is right now.

For Silverlight, you need to follow this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147279. It works.

Only the latest update will be available, that's why you see 10.5.8. But I don't see any reason why the 10.5.7 update wouldn't work on your system as it has worked on everybody else's.

When you first install 10.5 you will see your display using a generic video driver.

When you updated to 10.5.8 you will also see your display using a generic video driver.

When you added 'the kext' an rebooted you will still see your display using a generic video driver.

You see the window's being redrawn as you move them because the generic video driver doesn't support QE (Quartz Extreme) or CI (Core Image) which accelerate your video by using the graphics card.

Don't confuse this window redraw because of incorrect video drivers with the QuickTime mouse lag issue. That is completely different.

You are right, the video card doesn't appear in EFIStudio. Geithals has tried to help you by supplying an EFI string for you. If that hasn't worked for you then you will have to build your own.

You can look here for help with the 9400. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141072

If you wanted to, then yes you can create only and EFI string for your ethernet. Just select the ethernet string from EFIStudio and paste that in to device-properties in the com.apple.Boot.plist (see the PDF guide for more info).

But this will still leave you without proper video support.

Hope this helps :|

Well done jtillwick :o

System profiler doesn't show the processor for me either. If you have used a modified OSX X install in the past then maybe you have been used to this. But don't worry, OS X still sees your processor fine even though it doesn't show it. You can run an app called CPU-X which show's you details or there is a Terminal command which also shows in detail what the system sees but I can' remember what it is right now.

For Silverlight, you need to follow this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147279. It works.

Okay cool. i have now fixed my audio and ethernet with the dsdt table. i just need to figure out how to get my videocard working too.

I couldn't add the video string as i dont have an idea which card to choose

I used the osxtools to create a custom video string, however this method didn't take also. you mentioned qe/ci i did not have that problem until i rebooted.( after adding the kext)

I'm getting closer and closer each day so its a pleasant learning experience. (Your guides are verry good by the way) :)

i have now fixed my audio and ethernet with the dsdt table.

i just need to figure out how to get my videocard working too......I couldn't add the video string as i dont have an idea which card to choose.....I used the osxtools to create a custom video string, however this method didn't take also. you mentioned qe/ci i did not have that problem until i rebooted.( after adding the kext) :)

Well done for proceeding with DSDT and getting the ethernet and audio working... You are learning quickly ;)

The video is proving to be a problem for you. You have tried a few attempts now... But are you saying that the QE/CI was working straight after the retail install and that adding kexts then stopped it working?

Note: One thing, when you are quoting a reply, try not to include the complete text from the previous reply. Just use relevant snippets, as this makes the posts easier to follow. :)

When OSxTools generates a custom gfx string, does it communicate with the card?

Could one string generated for one manufaturer's 9400 be different to anothers?

Zangieff wrote

"however this method didn't take also. you mentioned qe/ci i did not have that problem until i rebooted.( after adding the kext)"

This bit might need more explanation

"the kext" one kext? which one? or do you mean adding all the kexts to the cham/extras/extension folder?

Or, are you calling the com.apple.boot.plist a kext?