GMA X4500

Tienneke

368 posts in this topic

@very amazing - try an external monitor. Or you may need to indicate what your internal display is using natit or DSDT.

@vitalsign - chances are you will need to change one or several of the following values using natit or DSDT. Sorry, but I don't know which or what to set them to. Perhaps others may know, or perhaps you may need to experiment. You might also want to find out if anyone else can control their brightness. It's possible that brightness control is something lost when you gain native resolution through this patch. I sure hope not! Good luck.

AAPL01,BacklightIntensity

AAPL,backlight-control = <01000000>

- backlight control enabled if set to 1 (so should be 0 for PCI cards)

Internal screen specific (values taken from iMac 24" with 7600GT)

On an internal screen specific (values taken from iMac 24" with 7600GT), these were found:

@0,backlight-control = <01000000>

hardware channel 0 uses backlight control // Back light control must be enabled with AAPL,backlight-control

@0,use-backlight-blanking = <>

self explanatory // enabled if key is present, no value

Hi Everybody, First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their efforts in this thread especially Tienneke, coldequation,Trauma & Chameleon 2.

This is my simple solution for Lenovo & GMA X4500 users until we have final driver without mouse bugs & supporting CI/QE, so you can set screen resolution to 1280x800@60Hz & working mouse without mouse pointer disappear.

Please Note, there is NO Kext loaded & no CI/QE, this steps success in my laptop (lenovo 3000 N500 4233-65G).

1--- Make a clean installing for iATKOS_v7 10.5.7 & select one of boot loader (Chameleon v1 or BootThink v1).

*** Don't select Chameleon v2, in my case, I had failed to update it later, or test Chameleon v2 at your risk.

2--- Update to Chameleon 2.0RC2 Build r640 & Repair Disk Permissions and reboot twice to ensure that your installation success.

3--- looking for screen resolution available to your machine from (Video Info) in Chameleon boot screen.

Make Test, just boot in (Verbose) mode and type your screen resolution or type this.

-v "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32@60Hz"

Now, you have 1280x800 fixed resolution without mouse disappear

4--- Run (OSX86Tools), select (Add EFI String/Boot Flag) & Add this code to (Flag) Field

"Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32@60Hz"

Press Apply, Reboot & Success.

Best Regards.

Mohamed Taa'eb

OK, update. Using the Natit.kext and the current patch, I now successfully have full native resolution on my Dell Studio 1737 17" laptop. I also have a comically large mouse pointer, but I'm alright with that for the moment. No vertical lines whatsoever. If the cursor issue was solved I'd be happy as a clam and willing to wait for any possible updates concerning QE/CI.

If you can do that, open the natit I sent you, and try as omn did. Change the @0 entry to @2 entry, so you have an @1,EDID and an @2,EDID. It's in the Info.plist of natit.

While you're doing that, before you reboot, execute this in terminal: rm /var/log/system.log (you need to be logged in as root). Then you can upload the system log after reboot too, it will be a lot smaller than the 10 Mb log you sent me ;)

Aaaand I spoke too soon. As soon as I restarted, the vertical lines reappeared.

To reply to both of these the Natit with the EDID specified does not seem to correct the vertical lines issue.

@Tienneke: I sent you my system.log. Its a little smaller this time (only 40KB) compared to my nice long one.

iPoco

I removed my extensions.mkext and I'm going to reboot after I get off work, but I wonder why it worked that one time and didn't the next boot.

@Tienneke: I sent you my system.log. Its a little smaller this time (only 40KB) compared to my nice long one.

I went through your logs and it seems the natit does not set the string as I expected it to do. Can you download the natit that originalmacnut provided a little higher? Just replace his EDID string with the string inside the natit I sent you.

@very amazing - try an external monitor. Or you may need to indicate what your internal display is using natit or DSDT.

thanks for the reply. have NO idea what my display is using...how do I find out? I think there was an option during iAtkos install to install DSDT, but I didn't click that. do I need either of these?

I'll try external monitor after work tonight...if it works, can I modify something to make my laptop display work again?

thanks.

I went through your logs and it seems the natit does not set the string as I expected it to do. Can you download the natit that originalmacnut provided a little higher? Just replace his EDID string with the string inside the natit I sent you.

Hmm... That's actually what I did. Maybe I'll check that I put the right value in.

iPoco

The extensions.mkext deletion did solve the vertical lines reappearing. I've been doing some searching to find out how to fix the mouse corruption, nothing yet but I'll keep trying. I'm happy enough to have full native resolution, but always strive for more, right?!

Thanks for all the work, guys!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t5499-0.html

This describes a method of at least showing the cursor through the horizontal lines, using a free program.

http://www.2point5fish.com/download.html

There are file links in the above thread that point to normal cursor files, without the green lines (you'll see when you install the program) and definitely is a nicer solution than simply making the cursor huge. It's made the corruption at least bearable until a good driver comes out. Hope I helped someone with this post.

The extensions.mkext deletion did solve the vertical lines reappearing. I've been doing some searching to find out how to fix the mouse corruption, nothing yet but I'll keep trying. I'm happy enough to have full native resolution, but always strive for more, right?!

Thanks for all the work, guys!

Could you upload a system.log somewhere? I'm trying to get it to work with iPoco's laptop, and I'd like to compare logs with someone who has it working..

Sure. There's one attached to this message.

I also get random 7's sometimes when I type, and my Firewire GUID is invalid and it tells me about this every 5 seconds while booting.

I've also discovered (this morning when I got up and opened my laptop) that sleeping the display also brings the vertical lines back. This is very weird, and I have to reboot to get my full screen back.

Just took a look at the file, and there's TONS of Firewire GUID messages, sorry. Maybe I'll try to fix that now, but the last "Solved" thread I looked at told me to upgrade my BIOS to solve that problem. I have no BIOS upgrades available, so that's not much of a solution.

system.txt

Sure. There's one attached to this message.

I also get random 7's sometimes when I type, and my Firewire GUID is invalid and it tells me about this every 5 seconds while booting.

I've also discovered (this morning when I got up and opened my laptop) that sleeping the display also brings the vertical lines back. This is very weird, and I have to reboot to get my full screen back.

Just took a look at the file, and there's TONS of Firewire GUID messages, sorry. Maybe I'll try to fix that now, but the last "Solved" thread I looked at told me to upgrade my BIOS to solve that problem. I have no BIOS upgrades available, so that's not much of a solution.

Hehe, np :thumbsup_anim: It was an interesting read, since it didn't show much difference with the log that I got from poco..

I'm just wondering, is the EDID string you get in osx the same as the one you have in your natit?

I honestly didn't modify the EDID one bit from the post 530 natit someone posted in this or the other 4500 thread. I don't even know how exactly to do that. I'm amazed my display works as well as it does. How do I modify the natit in terms of EDID?

I honestly didn't modify the EDID one bit from the post 530 natit someone posted in this or the other 4500 thread. I don't even know how exactly to do that. I'm amazed my display works as well as it does. How do I modify the natit in terms of EDID?

No problem, I think I get what may have fixed the problem for you. I'm gonna try making a new natit for ipoco, and see what that does :)

As about the modify natit in terms of EDID, You need to open the Info.plist in the kext (go to /System/Library/Extensions and right click on natit.kext and select Show package contents. Then navigate to the Contents folder there and open Info.plist)

You'll see the basic structure of an Info.plist, which is used with every kernel extension. You'll see, somewhere down the file, an entry stating something like this: <key>@1,EDID</key>, and a little lower one stating <key>@2,EDID</key>. After these options, you see a long string, which is your EDID string.

If it works for you, I don't see any reason to change the file :)

Edit: Could you possibly send your EDID string captured from osX? (think instructions to do that are in the other thread)

@veryamazing-- I think you may need to try the EDID fix. The original macnut (in the other thread) managed to get a working lcd panel after having similar problems as you have (working with external monitor, not working for built in panel). Contact him, or post in the original thread and he can probably help you out.

@GP1138 - the random 7s come from a bad ApplePS2Keyboard driver (I think it is the same issue as the stuck key syndrome, where a random key repeats after you resume from sleep-- for me it was the up-arrow key). I found a fix somewhere and compiled a changed version. I've attached that, so you're welcome to try and see if it fixes it.

Also WRT to the firewire GUID-- they are related but different. I used to get UUID errors, and errors with firewire. iPC had fixes for both of them and they worked for me. So you might want to use Pacifist and extract them from an iPC distro. If you don't have that, post here and I will try to find my disk with the packages and upload them.

-u

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext.zip

I don't have any access to an iPC distro.. if you could post that firewire fix (unless it's present in iDeneb and I just didn't install it) I'd be very grateful if you could upload it. Sorry to clutter up this thread with unrelated, and I appreciate you taking the time to help me, I'll install that PS2 kext now.

@ iPoco: I talked to trauma today on IRC, and he gave me a little info. It seems the way I'm setting EDID is probably not correct, since @1 and @2 are mainly used for nvidia cards. There is no sign of @ values in an X3100 ioreg, and so probably not for X4500 either.

So, what does this bring us to?

Could you replace the @1 with AAPL01 ? So a line stating '@1,EDID' would become 'AAPL01,EDID'? And the same for the @2 variable, except it should be AAPL02 there.. Oh yeah, and move the key and values to the part of the plist that says 'unknown'.. It's not getting set right now, cause it's in the wrong place..

Let me know what it gives :(

Could you replace the @1 with AAPL01 ? So a line stating '@1,EDID' would become 'AAPL01,EDID'? And the same for the @2 variable, except it should be AAPL02 there.. Oh yeah, and move the key and values to the part of the plist that says 'unknown'.. It's not getting set right now, cause it's in the wrong place..

I've tried that before, ended with a kernel panic, maybe I had another setting wrong.

Here's my output from moninfo (Running in Vista)

Monitor
 Windows description...... Generic PnP Monitor 
 Manufacturer............. LPL
 Plug and Play ID......... LPLA101
 Data string.............. LGPhilipsLCD LP171WP4-TLN1
 Serial number............ n/a
 Manufacture date......... 2007, ISO week 0
 Filter driver............ monitor
 -------------------------
 EDID revision............ 1.2
 Input signal type........ Digital
 Color bit depth.......... Undefined
 Display type............. RGB color
 Screen size.............. 370 x 230 mm (17.2 in)
 Power management......... Not supported
 Extension blocs.......... None
 -------------------------
 DDC/CI................... n/a

Color characteristics
 Default color space...... Non-sRGB
 Display gamma............ 2.20
 Red chromaticity......... Rx 0.602 - Ry 0.349
 Green chromaticity....... Gx 0.323 - Gy 0.551
 Blue chromaticity........ Bx 0.158 - By 0.141
 White point (default).... Wx 0.313 - Wy 0.329
 Additional descriptors... None

Timing characteristics
 Range limits............. Not available
 GTF standard............. Not supported
 Additional descriptors... None
 Preferred timing......... Yes
 Native/preferred timing.. 1440x900p at 60Hz (16:10)
Modeline............... "1440x900" 96.210 1440 1504 1536 1760 900 901 904 912 -hsync -vsync

Standard timings supported

Report information
 Date generated........... 29/07/2009
 Software revision........ 2.30.0.797
 Operating system......... 6.0.6002.2.Service Pack 2

Raw data
 00,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,00,32,0C,01,A1,00,00,00,00,00,11,01,02,80,25,17,78,0A,
1C,85,9A,59,52,8D,28,
 24,50,54,00,00,00,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,95,25,A0,
40,51,84,0C,30,40,20,
 13,00,6F,E6,10,00,00,19,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,
00,00,00,00,FE,00,4C,
 47,50,68,69,6C,69,70,73,4C,43,44,0A,00,00,00,FE,00,4C,50,31,37,31,57,50,34,
2D,54,4C,4E,31,00,24

I'm suffering the vertical lines problem.

From what I can remember one of the setting's I used for AAPL01 did cause my mouse to corrupt.