GMA X4500

Tienneke

368 posts in this topic

I'm not an expert here but I don't think this patch was intended for your chipset. Its only intended for actual gma 4500 chips. Keep searching for your chip specifically and eventually there may be a fix. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

well i was under the impresion that the gl40 chipset uses a gma x4500 gpu. unfortunatly im not excactly sure seeing as im finding it almost imposible to get a proper digonostic of what graphics cards in my laptop i can only go by what ive read... AND! seeing as it gives me my native resolution of 1400x900 and aclaims it to be working with 144mb vram and the only things that are realy wrong with it is a mouse glitch and a slight colour degrevation that isnt to pleasing to the eye, it still works so i presume it is the right one other wise the driver wouldnt do anything to my comp... would it?

I did some research on your graphics card and from what I've read you're right in saying it's based on the 4500. Have you tried lowering the resolution? Does the laptop have vga output and if so, does it work? Do you have more than one resolution listed in your display settings? Now, I should've asked this sooner. What version of Mac OS X are you currently running? If you read my first post, you will notice that I am running 32-bit Snow Leopard 10.6.3... It would definitely help me in helping you since that's pretty crucial information. Once I know this, I can precede in helping you more.

I did some research on your graphics card and from what I've read you're right in saying it's based on the 4500. Have you tried lowering the resolution? Does the laptop have vga output and if so, does it work? Do you have more than one resolution listed in your display settings? Now, I should've asked this sooner. What version of Mac OS X are you currently running? If you read my first post, you will notice that I am running 32-bit Snow Leopard 10.6.3... It would definitely help me in helping you since that's pretty crucial information. Once I know this, I can precede in helping you more.

lowering the resoulution helps me see the distorted letters better but dosnt fix the tainted blue screen or square mouse glitch. it has an external display adaptor but dosnt look like the standard VGA, and i dont have the conector to connect it to anything to test it. yeah theres a shed load of diffrent resolutions from 640x to my native which is 1440x900, im running 10.5.6 leopard in 32 bit, even though my comps capable of running 64bit.

(update) found out it has a DVI port not a VGA

(update 2 took a photo of the screen to show whats wrong hope it helps more http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/cj...ey/SAM_0379.jpg )

post-467453-1285523843_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oo Gateway DU10G with GMA4500 & retail 10.6.3 it does NOT work

If I patch it, it complains it is not stock kext, but patches anyway & on reboot the monitor goes instantly to sleep on DVI connection (did not try VGA)

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2e12

Revision ID: 0x0003

Am I supposed to do anything with dsdt.aml for this to work?

sebus

Well thanks.

It does work for me.

My Spec is Acer Apsire 4736z GMA4500M with Snow Leopard on 10.6.3

I managed to fix the native resolution with ur patch but I still can't fix the brightness control issue.

my brightness now is like defaulted to 50%

Hope someone can have a fix for me to at least enable brightness control in display.

Please help thank you.

Hi there recca123!

Can you please show some steps on installing SL 10.6.3?

I have same specs as yours..

can you also include the screenshot?

I tried installing SL 10.6.2 but i'm still stuck with 1024x768x32 resolution.. and my graphics card is not recognized. I have also a problem with my Webcam. It doesn't seem to work on SL 10.6.2.

so please, lend us some steps on how you configure SL 10.6.3 on you ACER 4736z so other users like me with same specs as yours can do also something about it.

Thank a lot in advance. :(;)

Hi there recca123!

Can you please show some steps on installing SL 10.6.3?

I have same specs as yours..

can you also include the screenshot?

I tried installing SL 10.6.2 but i'm still stuck with 1024x768x32 resolution.. and my graphics card is not recognized. I have also a problem with my Webcam. It doesn't seem to work on SL 10.6.2.

so please, lend us some steps on how you configure SL 10.6.3 on you ACER 4736z so other users like me with same specs as yours can do also something about it.

Thank a lot in advance. :D:)

I've finally got it working! :D

but the worst problem exist is that my screen got no backlight.. :D

any solution/help here? ;)

thanks a lot! :D

Hi!

i don't know if it was allredy but to everyone having problems just try Deviato boot loader it's easy and painless way to have native resolution on gma x4500 (just copy/paste boot file to os drive),

it works on my dell 1545 like a charm and no kext required :rolleyes: ,

just google it,

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

THANKS A BUNDLE ;) IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!

Hardware: HP G60 Notebook PC

OS: OS X 10.5.8 Build 9L31a updated from OS X 10.5.6 iPC

4GB RAM 800 MHz DDR2

Processor: Intel Pentium, 2 cores.

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Device ID: 0x2a42

THANKS!!!! The only things left to fix are AirPort (i have an Atheros card :S) AND Sleep (which i heard doesn't work for A LOT of people)

THANKS AGAIN, I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS FOR DAYS, LITERALLY ON END. I SPENT AT LEAST 20 HOURS LOOKING FOR FIXES ON YOUTUBE AND THE INTERNET AND ALL OF THEM SAID TO edit com.apple.Boot.plist which NEVER worked for me. YOU'RE A LIFESAVER :D

Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  2. type sudo -s and enter your user password
  3. drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  5. Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  7. Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you ;) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :P )
  • vertical stripes
    --> No workaround yet, looking into it atm

Last update: July 15, 2009 at 23:17 CET: New patcher script

:):unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: try

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all,

I'm running SL 10.6.8 on an MSI X340 on i386 arch mode with patch4500-2 but accidently changed to a resolution lower that 1366x768x32.

After that i get nothing but a cute blue screen.

To use the system again i needed to boot with -s and remove patched kext from /System/Library/Extensions.

If i run patch4500-2.bash -f 2A42 + boot, i still get 1024 resolution and if i add -r i get back to the blue screen.

How can i reset the resolution preferences back to the highest chosen automaticaly when i first passed patch4500?

Thks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I need some help with my video card GMA4500MHD. I have tried to install AppleIntelGMAX3100FB-2.kext but when I reboot it does not load any kext for me to patch it. How can I do this for me to get this working everything else works but the card hope someone can help me. I am running iatkos S3 V2 SL 10.6.3

• 1 month later...

hi Tienneke,

i own an acer travelmate 5630z with x4500 onboard.

dev id 0x2a42

rev id 0x0007

vga output only (no tvout or hdmi/dvi)

with chameleon+graphics mode string i can easily have native resolution 1280x800x32, but i cannot clone display (if i plug vga on laptop, the lcd goes off and only vga output works) and the tv output is distorted, probaby because of the 1280x800 res.

so i had a try with your bash script, but i have several problems.

1st: i have plenty of res, but NO 1280x800.

2nd: any resolution i try, gives me a strange output with flickering display luminosity, on main lcd display, and also on vga output

3rd: the default resolution choosed by kext (also with detect display feature). main lcd and vga out goes @ 640x480 or 800x600, so lcd is completely white, and "no input" on vga out.the only way to change them is to use another hack with remote desktop....

4th: is impossible to clone the display on vga monitor, only extended desktop works.if i choose clone display, both the screens stop working, also if the res is set to a previously working one.

any solution? i'm the only one with this issues or is a common problem?

i'd like just to have a nice res, with clone on vga output...

regards

p.s. i've tested the script on 10.5.8 vanilla and 10.6.6 ihazard with same result

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

• Start a terminal
  • type sudo -s and enter your user password
  • drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  • at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  • Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  • Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  • Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution
Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you ;) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes

--> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :P)

• vertical stripes

Hi,

My config,

Lenovo G550

Processor  > Pentium Dual-Core CPU T43200 (2.10 GHz)

Ram  > 3 GB DDR3

Phoenix  Bios Version  > 18CN42WW (V2 . 51)

I have tried Mountain lion but i get a message "hardware not supported" 

So, i went to snow leopard and successfully booted it through my USB stick

The problem is, i'm stuck at blank screen after the loading of contents, with a cursor which i cannot move

U mentioned to add kexts to the clover, but every link given was on "how to add kexts in mac"

Here i am using Windows for the whole process, Plz provide me info on how to make it in Windows

Updated version

• Start a terminal
  • type sudo -s and enter your user password
  • drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  • at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  • Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  • Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  • Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

known issues

• Cursor vanishes

--> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :P)

• vertical stripes

Hi,

My System Info

Lenovo G550

Processor  > Pentium Dual-Core CPU T43200 (2.10 GHz)

Ram  > 3 GB DDR3

Phoenix  Bios Version  > 18CN42WW (V2 . 51)

I have tried Mountain lion but i get a message "hardware not supported" 

So, i went to snow leopard and successfully booted it through my USB stick

The problem is, i'm stuck at blank screen after the loading of contents, with a cursor which i cannot move

U mentioned to add kexts to the clover, but every link given was on "how to add kexts in mac"

Here i am using Windows for the whole process, Plz provide me info on how to make it in Windows