HP Mini 1000 FULL Install w/ iATKOS v7 10.5.7 Fully Working!

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

Darren Enns

Darren Enns

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

a few more questions, is there a specific order i should install the different o/s and since you have more experience in the Linux field which linux distro is best. And will i be able to use gparted if i install xp then mac osx then linux.

That is a good question, and from doing research a few times, the best answer is that the order of installs should be this:

1st = Windows (since it typically overrides all boot managers with its own, and doesn't recognize other OS installs)
2nd = OSX (iAtkos and iDeneb both appear to install their own boot loaders, but nicely recognize existing Windows installs)
3rd = Linux (GRUB is typical boot loader, and can recognize existing Windows installs, but need a bit of help with OSX)

My own negative experience was that I was unable to install OSX as the 3rd install. I had to de-install my Linux first. Weird! I would say that it is 'typical' of Windows (Microsoft) to *assume* that no one will be running another OS :)

As far as partitioning goes, you have two easy choices:

1) Burn a bootable CD (or USB stick) with *just* Gparted and use it to first shrink Windows (again, not too sure about Win7 but it works great with WinXP). Then create a new partition for OSX (fat32 is what I have seen recommended, even though you will reformat/erase when doing an install)

or

2) Burn a bootable 'live' Linux distribution (e.g. Mint 7), and simply run the GParted partitioner while doing so, to do the same things as above. Doing it this way saves the (small) effort of creating a boot disk *just* for Gparted)

During all this partition shrinking/creating, you could also create an empty Linux-ready partition, but I would recommend doing that only *after* OSX is installed -- just in case it would get upset. During the actual Linux install, it will ask you to pick (or create) a partition anyways -- and you have to make sure that you chose the *right* options so that you don't erase your Win and OSX partitions -- of course!

I have never run Vista or Win7, but I wonder if they have a *built-in* partition and partition 'shrink' utility? If so, that might save you the effort of doing the Gparted thing. Again, for WinXP, you *must* reboot back into WinXP after doing the NTFS partition shrinking so that Windows can 'repair' the surgery that was done.

There are lots of links on the web that talk about this stuff, but these are my own personal experiences.

I guess I should encourage you to share your success stories with this thread if you get it working OK. When I first started doing the 'partition' stuff, I was *very* nervous about wrecking my WinXP installs -- now I consider that to be the 'easy' part :D The advise remains, though, to always make a BACKUP -- even though I have taken the risk not to do so (since then I would have the hassle of finding a free backup utility -- which is also available). Plus, Windows has not been important to me for many years now :)

gasman2003

gasman2003

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
again, i am amazed at your very quick responses. thanks for that.

i am reading alot around the topics and there is alot to take in. As they say "fail to prepare and prepare to fail" so i want to get a good idea of the steps that i am going to undertake. But at the same time factoring in some trial and error.

i have always used windows xp. never been a fan of vista. windows 7 though looked promising
from what i have seen so far. i have always been intrigued by MAC software and feel that now is the time to start experimenting. My brother is a big fan of Linux but i am somewhat intimidated by it. by having all 3 on them might force me to start learning more about them.

my compaq mini is brand new. i have not installed anything on it yet. so it has just the installed stuff from hp. and i have got the recovery cd so that should not be a problem.

I will most definately share my experiences. i think i will end up going for xp/osx/mie

thanks again for your help. i am sure i will have more questions later on.

cheers

That is a good question, and from doing research a few times, the best answer is that the order of installs should be this:

1st = Windows (since it typically overrides all boot managers with its own, and doesn't recognize other OS installs)
2nd = OSX (iAtkos and iDeneb both appear to install their own boot loaders, but nicely recognize existing Windows installs)
3rd = Linux (GRUB is typical boot loader, and can recognize existing Windows installs, but need a bit of help with OSX)

My own negative experience was that I was unable to install OSX as the 3rd install. I had to de-install my Linux first. Weird! I would say that it is 'typical' of Windows (Microsoft) to *assume* that no one will be running another OS :wacko:

As far as partitioning goes, you have two easy choices:

1) Burn a bootable CD (or USB stick) with *just* Gparted and use it to first shrink Windows (again, not too sure about Win7 but it works great with WinXP). Then create a new partition for OSX (fat32 is what I have seen recommended, even though you will reformat/erase when doing an install)

or

2) Burn a bootable 'live' Linux distribution (e.g. Mint 7), and simply run the GParted partitioner while doing so, to do the same things as above. Doing it this way saves the (small) effort of creating a boot disk *just* for Gparted)

During all this partition shrinking/creating, you could also create an empty Linux-ready partition, but I would recommend doing that only *after* OSX is installed -- just in case it would get upset. During the actual Linux install, it will ask you to pick (or create) a partition anyways -- and you have to make sure that you chose the *right* options so that you don't erase your Win and OSX partitions -- of course!

I have never run Vista or Win7, but I wonder if they have a *built-in* partition and partition 'shrink' utility? If so, that might save you the effort of doing the Gparted thing. Again, for WinXP, you *must* reboot back into WinXP after doing the NTFS partition shrinking so that Windows can 'repair' the surgery that was done.

There are lots of links on the web that talk about this stuff, but these are my own personal experiences.

I guess I should encourage you to share your success stories with this thread if you get it working OK. When I first started doing the 'partition' stuff, I was *very* nervous about wrecking my WinXP installs -- now I consider that to be the 'easy' part :whistle: The advise remains, though, to always make a BACKUP -- even though I have taken the risk not to do so (since then I would have the hassle of finding a free backup utility -- which is also available). Plus, Windows has not been important to me for many years now :)

Darren Enns

Darren Enns

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

i am reading alot around the topics and there is alot to take in. As they say "fail to prepare and prepare to fail" so i want to get a good idea of the steps that i am going to undertake. But at the same time factoring in some trial and error.

i have always used windows xp. never been a fan of vista. windows 7 though looked promising
from what i have seen so far. i have always been intrigued by MAC software and feel that now is the time to start experimenting. My brother is a big fan of Linux but i am somewhat intimidated by it. by having all 3 on them might force me to start learning more about them.

my compaq mini is brand new. i have not installed anything on it yet. so it has just the installed stuff from hp. and i have got the recovery cd so that should not be a problem.

I will most definately share my experiences. i think i will end up going for xp/osx/mie

Well, of course you should proceed at a slower pace, since this is all very new to you. My advise (same as I gave to my bro) was to do the 'easy' part (partition shrinking) first, to build up his confidence. Later, do the OSX part -- and make sure that you are happy with it (since I am not sure that you can re-do it once you do the last/Linux part). Then, finally, install Linux. As you say, these are all quite radically different than each other -- I am not sure you can be an 'expert' at all three! :) I prefer to focus my time and learning on just Linux.

Although some people praise the new 'netbook' Linux OSs like 'MIE', etc., and there is nothing wrong with you doing so (though I don't know about its 'GRUB' OS-detection capability), if you really want to learn about Linux -- and get 'under the hood' -- then it might be better to go for something like Mint Linux. I have used Redhat -- and now Fedora -- for 15 years now (!), I am impressed by Mint in that it works so nicely 'out of the box', while still giving me opportunities to do the 'deeper' stuff if I want to. I now carry Mint on a bootable USB stick 'just in case' there are opportunities to demonstrate it for people :)

Even though I now have iDeneb installed, I feel like a total newbie, which is a strange feeling for me. I think I need to find some 'hey, try this out' webpages so that I can see what the excitement is all about :)

gasman2003

gasman2003

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Well, of course you should proceed at a slower pace, since this is all very new to you. My advise (same as I gave to my bro) was to do the 'easy' part (partition shrinking) first, to build up his confidence. Later, do the OSX part -- and make sure that you are happy with it (since I am not sure that you can re-do it once you do the last/Linux part). Then, finally, install Linux. As you say, these are all quite radically different than each other -- I am not sure you can be an 'expert' at all three! :rolleyes: I prefer to focus my time and learning on just Linux.

Although some people praise the new 'netbook' Linux OSs like 'MIE', etc., and there is nothing wrong with you doing so (though I don't know about its 'GRUB' OS-detection capability), if you really want to learn about Linux -- and get 'under the hood' -- then it might be better to go for something like Mint Linux. I have used Redhat -- and now Fedora -- for 15 years now (!), I am impressed by Mint in that it works so nicely 'out of the box', while still giving me opportunities to do the 'deeper' stuff if I want to. I now carry Mint on a bootable USB stick 'just in case' there are opportunities to demonstrate it for people :(

Even though I now have iDeneb installed, I feel like a total newbie, which is a strange feeling for me. I think I need to find some 'hey, try this out' webpages so that I can see what the excitement is all about :)

MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone, I'm going to be attempting an iAtkos install today :D

I have a compaq 110-1040dx and wifi does not seem to be working for any of the 110's in iAtkos. However, in the iDeneb 1.3 thread, there is a link to a file called HP Mini OSX Essential.zip

this file has a lot of kexts for the hp mini, one of them works for wifi on the 110.

just an idea, though. i haven't tried yet.

MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
at what point should i remove the dvd/hdd?

Chanakya Shah

Chanakya Shah

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
For those who couldn't find the OSXTools.

http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/

Chanakya Shah

Chanakya Shah

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
WORKED LIKE A CHARM...

THANKS A LOT !!!

KidNameRyan

KidNameRyan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hey guys i was just curious is the webcam working and internal mic? Have you tested it through ichat?!

Thanks for your time!

sniper69

sniper69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

hey guys i was just curious is the webcam working and internal mic? Have you tested it through ichat?!

Thanks for your time!

I haven't tried ichat, but I did try the webcam and it works. I havent tried the internal mic yet as I have a USB headset that I use.

zumxzum

zumxzum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
thanks for the tutorial aboshi. it's working great on my hp mini 1030. i updated to 10.5.8 and had a small hiccup with my video but was able to fix it by reinstalling second part of your video package. i updated my airport software just five minutes ago and it works with no problems after reboot. also your audio fix on second page works as well.

my only problem is the webcam. i tried macam to no avail. ichat crashes when i try to open the cam. any ideas for a fix?

Aboshi

Aboshi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

thanks for the tutorial aboshi. it's working great on my hp mini 1030. i updated to 10.5.8 and had a small hiccup with my video but was able to fix it by reinstalling second part of your video package. i updated my airport software just five minutes ago and it works with no problems after reboot. also your audio fix on second page works as well.

my only problem is the webcam. i tried macam to no avail. ichat crashes when i try to open the cam. any ideas for a fix?

I have noticed the same issue =(
I will scout around for a fix and post if I find one

happyparty69

happyparty69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi..thanks for all the help and guides. however, after i installed, i got stuck with this...

with you get the command prompt it will look like this:
:/ root#
now type /sbin/fsck -fy and press enter
after it does its thing type: /sbin/mount -uw / and press enter

i can't type anything even after a few attempts. what should i do? using external usb keyboard?
i even tried reinstall but also failed.

your help is very much appreciated.thank you

sniper69

sniper69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

hi..thanks for all the help and guides. however, after i installed, i got stuck with this...

with you get the command prompt it will look like this:
:/ root#
now type /sbin/fsck -fy and press enter
after it does its thing type: /sbin/mount -uw / and press enter

i can't type anything even after a few attempts. what should i do? using external usb keyboard?
i even tried reinstall but also failed.

your help is very much appreciated.thank you

for the keyboard did you choose this in the install options:
"Expand PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard check Voodoo PS/2 Driver With Trackpad"

Also which HP mini model are you installing too?

happyparty69

happyparty69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i did install the keyboard and mousepad driver. after reboot, i can still press any keyand enter the command -s, after this, i can't enter anything at all. is the anyway i could reinstall? i tried to repeat from step one but the system said i need to restart. several restarts still no luck. thanks

hp mimi 1001tu

sniper69

sniper69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

i did install the keyboard and mousepad driver. after reboot, i can still press any keyand enter the command -s, after this, i can't enter anything at all. is the anyway i could reinstall? i tried to repeat from step one but the system said i need to restart. several restarts still no luck. thanks

hp mimi 1001tu

Before reinstalling, when you put the iatkos dvd in (I use a usb dvd drive) go to disk utilities, and make sure to erase the drive before reinstalling (and choose mac os x extended). IIRC - if the drive isn't erased before reinstalling it could cause a problem - though I could be wrong.

john22

john22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i can confirm this method works on compaq mini 700.
thanks

revenant890

revenant890

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

i can confirm this method works on compaq mini 700. thanks

same here - flawless except for the mic, but I can stand it ;)
great work, dude!

awong36

awong36

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a hp mini 110-1030ca, and currently have iAtkos v7 installed. I followed the guide completely....but I still cannot get my wifi working, the airport is not showing up under networks. I got everything else working, except for wifi and camera, could someone help me out?

Also, I had tried installing with iDeneb 1.3 version, and I got everything working including wifi but audio not working. Its kinda weird how I get something back but lose another important feature.

update: I just reinstall the netbook with ideneb 1.3, and so far I got everything working (wifi and audio). but the webcam doesn't work.

thanks.

tweak41

tweak41

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
I used the video thing from his tutorial along with the DSDT patcher that I ran from the iATKOS v7 disc and used iDeneb 1.5.1 for the base install plus the HPMini pack and installation of the 9.7.0 Vanilla kernel (after the iATKOS stuff though). I've since updated to 10.5.8 and redid the video patch and Airport patch and now everything is running perfect again. Except sleep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy