What would you PAY for a LEGIT copy of MacOSx86?

René Kåbis

85 posts in this topic

$500

I want to run OSX... but I won't buy mac hardware. I prefer to pick and match my hardware components individually. Far more fun that way.

Always my biggest issue with Mac's... they seem more like consumer electronics than computers.. wheres the fun in that?

I agree, I tend to be picky about my hardware - and I like my computer to look like a computer too :) (I love black IBM laptops, btw)

I think that OSx86 has been a fantastic thing for Apple - it's got thousands of X86-world geeks introduced to OSX, I'm the perfect example myself. Now that I'm running OSX, I won't be going back to WinXP. Take this site for example - a whole community making hardware testing for Apple for free - I'm pretty sure they have somebody monitoring the forum intensely.

I'd pay exactly the same for an OSX "universal" version that the current version goes for. Let's keep in mind that the market for the universal version is propably about 90% bigger than the market for the "normal" version, so in fact the universal version should be cheaper! Also, there is no way in hell that Apple could provide the same level of support for the universal version - because the possible hardware configurations are limitless.

IMHO, Apple should keep its current Mac business for those who want the hardware design and need to count on Apple's support for both hardware and software. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't let people decide which version to buy, especially now that the company's future is not anymore dependent on HW sales. This would also bring much-needed competition on the OS market... sadly, this is also the only reason OSx86 universal might not happen - Apple might not want to step on MS toes.

At the moment I have a PPC OSX Tiger box on my shelf, specifically purchased for my OSX86 computer. Thats as legal as I can be at the moment. As soon as Apple decides to sell me a proper license for my installation of OSx86, I'll buy it. Before that happens, I consider my installation fair use of the license, end of discussion. It's very unlikely that I'd buy any Intel Mac in the near future.

I hope that Apple will be the company that turns the PC/Media industry towards listening to customer needs once again. It's about time that happened.

Edited by Juurlo

• 2 months later...

On amazon xp is:

3.Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2

by Microsoft (CD-ROM )

No Operating System, Windows 95 / XP

Avg. Customer Rating:

(Rate this item)

Usually ships in 24 hours

List Price: $199.00

Buy new: $192.99

Used & new from $133.14

So, with tiger currently at 130... And the addition of plug-n-play drivers, amd support etc... I say they could sell it 250 general user, 200 student. Depending on sales, it'd more than cover the cost of development in that extra 70-120 dollars.

We are outside apple with "limited" time to devote to development. Think how fast and easy it could be for apple to make these same changes with all the resources at their fingers. I'm willing to bet apple could pull together a decent generic OSX by the end of the year.