What would you PAY for a LEGIT copy of MacOSx86?

René Kåbis

85 posts in this topic

Just curious. What would people pay for an official, unlocked copy of MacOSX for their platform, straight from Apple?

For example, I have an AMD Opteron 142 system, with 2Gb of ECC Reg. memory and 1.5Tb of space across 6 drives (yes, I am a data packrat), and I would easily spend between $CDN300 and $CDN500 for a legit copy of the 64-bit version of MacOSx86 straight from Apple.

I am fed up with Windows. XP is a decent OS, but it is riddled with security holes, attacked by viruses worms and other nasties from all sides and far behind the MacOS in the technology department. I would like to install MacOSx86 as my primary OS, and move XP to a computer that I would only use to help customers with (as a support computer for when I work on client computers).

So, if you were able to get a legit copy of MacOSx86 straight from Apple, that was able to run unfettered on any hardware you own, how much would you be willing to pay?

(If you are not from the US, please use your country code in your $ figure. I am from Canada, so I use $CDN###)

Good question. But let me put it too you this way, given the price/performance differential between Apple hardware and generic at the moment, if I had to pay $250 for OSx86 to sell a "legal" x86 Mac Clone ready to go, I would still make a killing and I would not have to worry about getting sued by Apple.

Here is a related question, in your country are EULA's legal? I mean, if you buy a copy of a "universal" OS X which Apple will be selling next year for $129, is it legal for you to run it on your PC while otherwise "agreeing" to Apple's "click-through" installation contract? In the USA, this is somewhat controversial, but so far these EULA have basicaly been upheld. I think they are illegal in the EU, though I really do not know.

To the extent that this certainly will be legal in lots of places, this means people could lawfully sell x86 Mac Clones with OS X pre-installed, so long as Apple is payed for a copy of OS X.

To the extent that this certainly will be legal in lots of places, this means people could lawfully sell x86 Mac Clones with OS X pre-installed, so long as Apple is payed for a copy of OS X.

Yeah, but who except the most greedy would buy just one copy? I would try to work out a volume license with Apple before doing something like this; but then again, I'm a real Machead. I use the OS for the love of it, not because of its price.

I meant selling one copy of OSx86 with every machine, in additon to installing it and providing whatever patches that would be necessary to make it work on the non-Apple hardware.

My point is that this may be perfectly legal in many jurisdictions outside the US.

I would certainly be willing to pay for it, if it’s at a sensible price (say the same as the current PPC version). It’s a brilliant piece of software and anything to liberate me from windows or the excessive complexities of Linux.

I personally think apple can sell OS X to pc builders and retail out lets with out harming their hardware sales. At least they would make much more from the software than they lost in hardware sales.

Increasing the OS market penetration would eventually increase their hardware sales as using windows becomes less of a given for the average user. As long as they maintained their usually excellent quality and market "apple PC's" as a presume product. After all the margins are so small in the cut throat world of low cast pc (dell and the like) they couldn't survive there anyway.

Charlie