Upgrading to 10.5.6 (if your puter wont shutdown)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Kari_Juhani

Kari_Juhani

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Messing around, annoying other people, fixing things that are not broken, and - of course - put...
This all started when i wanted to dualboot my OSX - machine with Windoze 7.

Of course, i maneged to mess it up and needed to make clean install from start (Kalyway 10.5.2)

I have all the needed updates (10.5.5 + 10.5.6 + 10.5.7 and instructions) on my ntsf - formatted usb stick. I upgraded my OSX to 10.5.5 then to 10.5.6. In this phase you must use this advice:

>>>>>>>>
1. open directory utility enable root user from menu. set password.
2. open terminal type sudo su. enter password
3. in terminal typed without quotes. Enter.
"while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done"
4.mount 10.5.6 combo, install while monitoring for appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext in extensions folder. Should appear and get deleted super fast. do not restart!
5. right click /System/InstallAtStartup folder. Get info. at bottom click lock and enter password. change permissions for everyone to read/write. Repeat step for folder /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts and for file /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1
6. Open 1 file in text edit. Find there Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace with this dsmos.kext. save file.
7. if u have nvidia card move to trash all ati* and appleintelgma* kexts to trash.
8. Install voodoo kernel 9.5 with their setup package. http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ only if u know you cannot use vanilla kernels on your hardware.
9. restart!
>>>>>>>>

Now when i did this, and rebooted my computer did not shutdown right. I had to push power button and shut it manually. When i started again, it launched OSX right and i went ahead and installed 10.5.7.

But : when i rebooted, OSX wont start ... hangs in the middle of startup. I started to wonder if 10.5.6-upgrade went wrong. But how to fix it, i dont have any other OS installed then this !!!

After thinking a while (and after i drinked couple beers) i figured that must change manually that line in file named 1 in OSX/System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/

I used old Linux Live cd to come in to my PC, and tried to mount and read/write to osx partition... no luck, Linux lets you mount it, but InstallAtStartup - folder was locked somehow. I used terminal to "sudo" my way to folder and opened 1-file with textedit. Could not save there, so i saved modified file to my USB. Then again in with Kalyway's install-dvd and using terminal rm 1 from OSX/System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/ and copy the new file from my usb !!!

And now im watching how Brazil kick's USA's {censored} on soccer Federation Cup Final from my OSX

Jihaaaa.. this is nothing big - comparing what you guy's (and MacGirl) do here, but goes to show that we noob's find sometimes a solution by accident.

Kari

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy