This all started when i wanted to dualboot my OSX - machine with Windoze 7.
Of course, i maneged to mess it up and needed to make clean install from start (Kalyway 10.5.2)
I have all the needed updates (10.5.5 + 10.5.6 + 10.5.7 and instructions) on my ntsf - formatted usb stick. I upgraded my OSX to 10.5.5 then to 10.5.6. In this phase you must use this advice:
1. open directory utility enable root user from menu. set password.
2. open terminal type sudo su. enter password
3. in terminal typed without quotes. Enter.
"while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done"
4.mount 10.5.6 combo, install while monitoring for appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext in extensions folder. Should appear and get deleted super fast. do not restart!
5. right click /System/InstallAtStartup folder. Get info. at bottom click lock and enter password. change permissions for everyone to read/write. Repeat step for folder /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts and for file /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1
6. Open 1 file in text edit. Find there Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace with this dsmos.kext. save file.
7. if u have nvidia card move to trash all ati* and appleintelgma* kexts to trash.
8. Install voodoo kernel 9.5 with their setup package. http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ only if u know you cannot use vanilla kernels on your hardware.
Now when i did this, and rebooted my computer did not shutdown right. I had to push power button and shut it manually. When i started again, it launched OSX right and i went ahead and installed 10.5.7.
But : when i rebooted, OSX wont start ... hangs in the middle of startup. I started to wonder if 10.5.6-upgrade went wrong. But how to fix it, i dont have any other OS installed then this !!!
After thinking a while (and after i drinked couple beers) i figured that must change manually that line in file named 1 in OSX/System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/
I used old Linux Live cd to come in to my PC, and tried to mount and read/write to osx partition... no luck, Linux lets you mount it, but InstallAtStartup - folder was locked somehow. I used terminal to "sudo" my way to folder and opened 1-file with textedit. Could not save there, so i saved modified file to my USB. Then again in with Kalyway's install-dvd and using terminal rm 1 from OSX/System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/ and copy the new file from my usb !!!
And now im watching how Brazil kick's USA's ass on soccer Federation Cup Final from my OSX
Jihaaaa.. this is nothing big - comparing what you guy's (and MacGirl) do here, but goes to show that we noob's find sometimes a solution by accident.
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users