[SOLVED] Hide USB Wireless Utility

mendr_j

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

i have successfully install Leopard iPC. For Wireless Lan i use D-Link DWL-G122. After a lot of tries, the appropriate drivers are RT71W_Ralink-10.5.

The problem is every time i restart the mac, the USB Wireless Utility shows at startup. I try to erase it from startup item on Library folder but nothing happen. Also, i added to the Login items in Accounts and check to hide but it was unsuccessful.

All the solutions and ideas about this are welcome.

PS. I think that this solution includes all wireless usb dongles which uses Ralink drivers...

Hi everyone,

i have successfully install Leopard iPC. For Wireless Lan i use D-Link DWL-G122. After a lot of tries, the appropriate drivers are RT71W_Ralink-10.5.

The problem is every time i restart the mac, the USB Wireless Utility shows at startup. I try to erase it from startup item on Library folder but nothing happen. Also, i added to the Login items in Accounts and check to hide but it was unsuccessful.

All the solutions and ideas about this are welcome.

PS. I think that this solution includes all wireless usb dongles which uses Ralink drivers...

I myself have a Hawking HWUG1 usb wireless device! (with RT73 chipset) (you said RT71 so your drivers are probably different than mine)

However for me the usb wireless utility is neccessary for my internet to work. My internal wifi device there are no drivers for yet... So I just plug in my hawking into one of my usb ports and it works great...

the usb wifi utility automatically runs when I start up my computer with it plugged in... or when I plug it in...

It's what is necessary for my device to connect to the internet! It works well!

I don't know why you would want to delete it?

here's an image:

usbwifiutil.png

Do you have the same app?

There is no close button on it, but if you press the command key(alt on a pc :() and h it hides the window! is that what you want?

I used to just minimize it but it takes up space on my dock so I like to just hide it instead, clicking on the ralink icon from the dock will bring it up, without having to leave that window taking space on the dock :)

If you mean that that software doesn't work for you and found one that does and want to remove it from your mac, well uninstalling app's isn't quite as quick as on windows/linux

there is usually no uninstaller, and you have to manually delete the .app from your applications folder or wherever its located...

there are also extra files left in your system directories that although you don't have to delete, no point in having useless stuff on your pc taking up space (although its usually not that much)

here's a guide for uninstall apps on mac...

http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_A...ons_in_Mac_OS_X

Hope I helped...

thanks for the reply !

Yes the utility is the same (only drivers are different).

Actually, the utility works great!

The "problem" i have is the utility automatically runs every time when I start up my computer with it plugged in. So, there is a way to hide this utility at start up and not shown every time i start computer but runs hidden ?

After a lot of search i found the solution (from msiwind forum):

Use this AppleScript to do it.

1. Use the Applescript Script Editor

2. Type:

tell application "System Events" to tell process "USBWirelessUtility" to set visible to false

3. Save as application

4. Add it to your login items after the Ralink utility.

It works great for me !!

• 1 month later...

Just want to add my 2 cents,

mendr_j's solution works great and it hides the utility at startup. But the icon still remains in the dock.

To have the utility run in the background:

Right-click on the icon and select Show in Finder, then right click the application and click Show Package Contents.

Then open Contents->Info.plist. Add the following key-value pair to Info.plist:

Key: LSUIElement

Value: 1 (string)

<key>LSUIElement</key>
<string>1</string>

Add this anywhere after a closing </string>.

This can be done with a plist editor like Apple's Property List Editor, or with a text editor by typing:

<key>LSUIElement</key>

<string>1</string>

Enjoy now it's unnoticeable. :D

• Like 2

• 6 years later...

Found a more stable solution which works better for me. Run this on wake&login

try
do shell script "ping -o www.google.com"
on error

tell application "Wireless Network Utility"
  quit
end tell

delay 0.1

activate
end tell

delay 0.2

tell application "System Events" to click (first button of (every window of (application process "Wireless Network Utility")) whose role description is "minimize button")

repeat with i from 1 to 16
  try
   do shell script "ping -o www.google.com"
   exit repeat
  on error
   delay 0.5
  end try
  if i = 16 then
   display notification "I tried for 8 seconds; Closing Wireless app now" with title "No internet"
    quit
   end tell
   error number -128
  end if
end repeat

end try

Use this script to hide Wireless Network Utility. It keeps it running in the background, which is good, as it helps you stay connected. Closing it after a certain amount of time is hacky approach, as in certain situations it might take longer to connect.

Use Elad Nava's solution for hiding the icon in the dock:

Then open Contents->Info.plist. Add the following key-value pair to Info.plist:

Key: LSUIElement
Value: 1 (string)

<key>LSUIElement</key>
<string>1</string>
Add this anywhere after a closing </string>.

This can be done with a plist editor like Apple's Property List Editor, or with a text editor by typing:

<key>LSUIElement</key>
<string>1</string>

Enjoy now it's unnoticeable. :)