• Please log in to reply
2212 replies to this topic

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

yeaah I added them(check my file), what is patched kernel ?!

ArgVega is correct AMD processors are not supported by the OS X Vanilla kernel, as no MAC has an AMD processor they are all Intel, well now anyway used to be PowerPC processors.

So if you want to run OS X on an AMD machine need to patch the kernel, i.e. in simple terms the bit that talks to the processor, as the intruction sets and hooks are different betweeen AMD and Intel processors. I am no expert in this field as I only have Intel based PC's but the Snow Kitty topic by Zenith432 has specific instructions regarding patching the kernel for use with either non VT-x Intel processors or AMD processors, link below:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1288448

Good luck, MSoK.

mikaveli

mikaveli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Well known issue. There are no accelerated video drivers for MacOS X guest. VMware are not currently planning to write one. Windows and Linux guests have drivers supplied by VMware.

Thanks for your quick answer, i thought it as something to do with the vmware video drivers, i guess there is no workaround so far, no way to adapt or use linux drivers ? if u have any links discussing this issue would be much appreciated, found nothing relevant on my side...

Thanks again for your great work !

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Thanks for your quick answer, i thought it as something to do with the vmware video drivers, i guess there is no workaround so far, no way to adapt or use linux drivers ? if u have any links discussing this issue would be much appreciated, found nothing relevant on my side...

Thanks again for your great work !

There is a 3rd party driver by Zenith432, but he has stated adding QE/CI acceleration is too big a piece of work to carry out. The code is here if you have the skills to work on it. http://sourceforge.n...ojects/vmsvga2/

Natedev

Natedev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Any luck with an approach to get Snow Leopard 10.6.4 running on ESX or ESXi 4.1?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Any luck with an approach to get Snow Leopard 10.6.4 running on ESX or ESXi 4.1?

Yes it works. I have built a final copy of the darwin.iso used to boot it. Problem is I am working overseas until next Friday and can't do the final tests until I get back.

Uranus

Uranus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Yes it works. I have built a final copy of the darwin.iso used to boot it. Problem is I am working overseas until next Friday and can't do the final tests until I get back.

Any news on this? Would love to get an updated darwin.iso

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Any news on this? Would love to get an updated darwin.iso

Guy's, give the man (Donk) a break he said he was away until Friday, so with a lot of luck we may see something after the weekend, but family comes first, OK, so please be patient, let's not P*** off the Legend that is Donk!

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,922 posts
OK here we go with the latest and possibly last version of darwin.iso that works with:

VMware Workstation 7.x
VMware Player 3.x
VMware Fusion 3.x
VMware ESXi/ESX 4.1

http://www.filedropp...n310-macosx1064

Use the original manual for now regarding installation. One important change is that ESX 4.1 added more support for Mac OS X and you can now use darwin10 and darinw10-64 for the guestos setting when running Snow Leopard. The darwin.iso also includes a modified kernel from 10.6.4 for some older processors. Details have already been posted elsewhere in the thread.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

OK here we go with the latest and possibly last version of darwin.iso that works with:

VMware Workstation 7.x
VMware Player 3.x
VMware Fusion 3.x
VMware ESXi/ESX 4.1

http://www.filedropp...n310-macosx1064

Use the original manual for now regarding installation. One important change is that ESX 4.1 added more support for Mac OS X and you can now use darwin10 and darinw10-64 for the guestos setting when running Snow Leopard. The darwin.iso also includes a modified kernel from 10.6.4 for some older processors. Details have already been posted elsewhere in the thread.

Donk,
Thanks for the new Darwin ISO, I will give it a go tonight, and report back. Mind you your post is very spooky, as I was just making myself a coffee and thinking about when you might have the promised new Darwin ISO available, come back to my desk to an eMail with the link to the new ISO, very strange, MSoK, LoL!!!

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Donk,
Thanks for the new Darwin ISO, I will give it a go tonight, and report back. Mind you your post is very spooky, as I was just making myself a coffee and thinking about when you might have the promised new Darwin ISO available, come back to my desk to an eMail with the link to the new ISO, very strange, MSoK, LoL!!!

Spooky indeed! Anyway let me know how it goes. Gave up on binary patching ESXi as the way the code works is significantly different than the binary patches on Workstation.

supersven

supersven

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

VMware Workstation 7.x
VMware Player 3.x
VMware Fusion 3.x
VMware ESXi/ESX 4.1

I Tried to move an existing install, but I got a kernel panic.

OSX install (10.5.6) (retail)
ESXi 4.0.0 b208167 (Dell M610/Intel Xeon E5520) / darwin-200 (working)
ESXi 4.1.0 b260247 (Dell M610/Intel Xeon E5520) / darwin-310

Added these lines to the VMX on the 4.1.
monitor.virtual_exec="hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu="software"

Guess it is better to try a new install instead?

Attached Files

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Spooky indeed! Anyway let me know how it goes. Gave up on binary patching ESXi as the way the code works is significantly different than the binary patches on Workstation.

No problem, will give you an update ASAP, your darwin iso solution is perfectly serviceable under ESXi or should I now say vSphere Hypervisor, what a mouthful! Although Albert's patcher along with your updated script is an elegant solution for Workstation. Speak soon MSoK.

ajacocks

ajacocks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I have been following this thread for a while, but I've just now tried installing 10.6 on ESX 4.1.

I followed the original doc, running the installer, from the most recent 3.1.0 darwin tools distribution:

[codebox][user@esx vmware-darwin310-macosx1064]$ sudo ./setup.sh --install
VMware ISO Signature Creator 2.0.0
==================================
VMware ESX 4.1.0 build-260247
Running on Linux and using /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages
Backing up files
Creating new SHA-1 digests
SHA-1 digest for darwin.iso
SHA-1 digest for freebsd.iso
SHA-1 digest for linux.iso
SHA-1 digest for netware.iso
SHA-1 digest for solaris.iso
SHA-1 digest for windows.iso
SHA-1 digest for winPre2k.iso
/store/installs/vmware-darwin310-macosx1064
Finished![/codebox]

And added the following to the .vmx file:

[codebox]guestOS = "darwin10-64"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"
smc.present = "FALSE"[/codebox]

There was no altGuestOS entry in the .vmx file. I then re-added the VM to the inventory, and tried to fire it up, only to receive the dread "guest OS not supported" message.

I suspect that I missed something, but I'm not sure what it is. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

I Tried to move an existing install, but I got a kernel panic.

OSX install (10.5.6) (retail)
ESXi 4.0.0 b208167 (Dell M610/Intel Xeon E5520) / darwin-200 (working)
ESXi 4.1.0 b260247 (Dell M610/Intel Xeon E5520) / darwin-310

Added these lines to the VMX on the 4.1.
monitor.virtual_exec="hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu="software"

Guess it is better to try a new install instead?

Unfortunately you need IDE virtual hard drive and not SCSI for Leopard. Also need to edit the vmx and remove SCSI adapter from the virtual machine.

I have been following this thread for a while, but I've just now tried installing 10.6 on ESX 4.1.

I followed the original doc, running the installer, from the most recent 3.1.0 darwin tools distribution:

[user@esx vmware-darwin310-macosx1064]$ sudo ./setup.sh --installVMware ISO Signature Creator 2.0.0==================================VMware ESX 4.1.0 build-260247Running on Linux and using /usr/lib/vmware/isoimagesBacking up filesCreating new SHA-1 digestsSHA-1 digest for darwin.isoSHA-1 digest for freebsd.isoSHA-1 digest for linux.isoSHA-1 digest for netware.isoSHA-1 digest for solaris.isoSHA-1 digest for windows.isoSHA-1 digest for winPre2k.iso/store/installs/vmware-darwin310-macosx1064Finished!

And added the following to the .vmx file:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"ich7m.present = "TRUE"keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"smc.present = "FALSE"

There was no altGuestOS entry in the .vmx file. I then re-added the VM to the inventory, and tried to fire it up, only to receive the dread "guest OS not supported" message.

I suspect that I missed something, but I'm not sure what it is. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Are you trying to use it by starting from client connected to vCenter Server or directly attached to the ESX machine. Only the second option works.

ajacocks

ajacocks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Are you trying to use it by starting from client connected to vCenter Server or directly attached to the ESX machine. Only the second option works.

Yeah, I was trying to start it from a vCenter client. It works fine, connected directly to the ESX server. I'm installing, now, and will report back success or failure.

Thanks, Donk.

Uranus

Uranus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
My Snow Leo Server installation also fails to boot with the new darwin.iso. (it was using a SCSI virtual disk, but it worked)

I just attempted to create a new blank virtual machine, configured the .vmx properly and added an IDE virtual disk, then booted the DVD but I never get to the installation GUI. I get the dreaded "still waiting for root device" error.

ajacocks

ajacocks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Once I got past the issue above, mine booted fine. Installed and running 10.6.4, with no issues.

Natedev

Natedev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Once I got past the issue above, mine booted fine. Installed and running 10.6.4, with no issues.

How did you get past the issues above? Could you summarize the changes you would make relative to Donk's documentation?

ajacocks

ajacocks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

How did you get past the issues above? Could you summarize the changes you would make relative to Donk's documentation?

Just as I said in #1775...I connected directly to the ESX server, rather than through VirtualCenter.

That was it.

Thanks!

Natedev

Natedev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Just as I said in #1775...I connected directly to the ESX server, rather than through VirtualCenter.

That was it.

Thanks!

Oh, ok. Sorry I missed that - thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy